A Microholiday Album From Proteus

I was going to write about the plantlife in Proteus [official site] or something along those lines but then I went back and… it didn’t feel like quite what I wanted to express today. Mostly I’ve gone back to just thinking about how lovely the game is, even when you strip out the movement and sound. Obviously it would be better with both but here are the screenshots from my season cycle in Proteus today. It felt like a microholiday so I guess this is my microholiday album, if you’d like to take a look. Autumn and winter are by far my favourite seasons. Spring and summer are lovely, but autumn is magical and I’d totally forgotten about the aurora.

This feature was originally published as part of, and thanks to, The RPS Supporter Program.

Skabooga says:

Lovely pictures! Better than most of the ones my friends drag out after their vacations.

particlese says:

Yay!

I really like that autumn sunset (possibly taken while swimming). Makes me want to go shooting panoramas in Proteus.

3. cpt_freakout says:

I had a child-like moment of wonder with the aurora the first time I saw it. Proteus is so lovely, all the time.

heretic says:

I played this for the first time on Friday, was pleasantly suprised at how nice it was :) very relaxing!

I like sitting near the “end” of each level but not stepping into the portal that moves you to the next bit, so that time speeds up and you can see the day night cycle real fast and enjoy the nice sounds.

5. Shazbut says:

I love Proteus and I only wish there was more of it

yhancik says:

link to venuspatrol.com

Otherwise, Eidolon is maybe the closest experience I can think of. It’s lacking something (some things?) form Proteus, but it has this incredible feeling of being lost and trying to find your way.

Harlander says:

If Proteus is “too little”, I’d say that Eidolon is really “too much”.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There’s also Bernband but that is set in a city.

6. GameCat says:

It’s hardly a microvacations when it spans the whole 4 seasons.

7. MrFinnishDude says:

The most pleasant and relaxing game in this earth

8. monkeymcnugget says:

I always want to get into these games but can never find the right state of mind for them. I love how it looks and how people talk about it, but when I play I lose interest. Totally sucks, but I guess it’s new baby and full time job means any nerd time I get needs to feel productive…

9. Martel says:

Funny timing, I just played Proteus for the first time this morning.

• trn says:

I would imagine with Panoramical’s release a lot of people are looking for reasons to pick up Proteus again. Given David Kanaga’s involvement in both the word Proteus has been appearing in a lot of reviews and discussions inspiring (consciously or not) new and old players to check it out. Proteus has been on my mind a lot since Quinns was talking about it on Wednesday. It’s the way the collective hive-mind of the internet works :) It’s why the Wikipedia article of the day is always the page you were going to look for anyway…

10. caff says:

Proteus evokes an atmosphere that I always wished open world games like Witcher 3 or Skyrim could aim for.

• brucethemoose says:

Skyrim can get close if you mod it to death and throw a heavy ENB on top of it.

Also… I kid you not… Modded Minecraft gives the the same feeling. I’m not talking about a Bukkit server or Tekkit, I’m talking HEAVILY modded MC, with RWG + biome mods, natura, cave biomes and others + custom ruins + more passive mobs.

11. icarussc says:

I played through a whole cycle of Proteus (for the first time) with my four-year-old daughter. The gentle ending and my snuggly girl combined to bring me to tears. It was very beautiful.

12. CantankerousDave says:

I remember the Destructoid old video podcast being reluctant to give this a numerical score due to its nature, so they compromised and gave it “Four Sparkle Bunnies out of Owl.” Seems fair.

13. quietone says:

Errr…I don’t like Proteus that much. What people seem to see in Proteus is what I saw in Noctis. I wish there was a new Noctis-like game buut with actual exploration, as Noctis was more about the feeling that you were exploring new planets. (Mirrormoon EP is nothing like Noctis, and Noctis V…well…first rule: we do not talk about Noctis V).

Harlander says:

I get a Noctis-but-more-ludified vibe from what we’ve been shown of No Man’s Sky so far.

No indication if NMS will let you write a short gazetteer entry about the places you find, yet.

14. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

Yeah… Not so keen.. I’d imagine if I were totally spazzed out on acid I’d fully get it, but I ‘got’ Teletubbies and laughed with trees when in that state so that’s no measure of worth… I was pretty underwhelmed by this one, the developer tapped in to something but its 10 minutes worth if you ask me. In fact all i think about when considering the relatively high media profile of this is that the developer was blessed/lucky/shrewd.

yhancik says:

Nope, you can actually enjoy “weird” things without the help of drugs (even the Teletubbies)