Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Dates Announced

Sat there waiting patiently, you are. Wait no more, you shan’t. It’s coming it, na, sod it, I can’t keep this up. Mark October 8 to October 12 in your diary as Star Wars Battlefront [official site] is heading for beta.

Here comes DICE’s shooty-banging, storm trooper slaying, light sabre swishing interpretation of Star Wars and I’m still not sure of it. But, as players, that’s what betas are for, eh? So what is this one promising?

Well, there’s Walker Assault on Hoth, a 40-player battle which sees the Rebels step-to with the Empire, AT-ATs and Y-wing bombers galore. Then there’s Drop Zone on Sullust which marches players into 8v8 bouts, fighting for control over falling escape pods. Then there’s Survival Mission on Tatooine, a single player or online co-op or split-screen endeavour, which has you pit against waves of Imperial forces, AT-STs, TIE fighters, elite stormtroopers and “more”. There’s also a level five cap and stats and progression are non-transferable to the game’s full release version.

Whilst all of this sounds nice, and the recent news that Battlefront will have dedicated servers is a definite plus, I’m still not sure this one’s for me. Graham had a brief bash at Gamescom this year and felt the same but, again, getting to grips with the beta may change that. Come October 8 I might be whistling a different tune.

October the 8th, eh. If I make a point of telling you I’ve body-swerved a joke along the lines of “October the 8th be with you”, I’ve still indirectly told the joke whilst simultaneously distancing myself from it completely. Smart arse, I am.

When the time comes, the the download will be under the Demo & Betas section of the Origin store.

1. Shockeh says:

I secretly hoped we might be approaching the day where we’d accept that ‘Demo’ might come back, rather than the “Hush! We let you in on the secret but it’s not actually a secret because everyone else is in on it too” ‘Beta’ that’s done the rounds for the last 5-10 years.

Alas, no, Beta lives on.

On the Dedicated Servers front; Note they haven’t actually stated you’ll be able to have your own/clan/whatever grouping server, merely that the servers ‘will be dedicated’. So it may be you’ll still only play on *their* servers (Likely, as it permits EA to kill them all once Battlefront 2 inevitably rolls out of DICE), and any hopes of running your own, or any kind of modding scene are probably futile.

• Xzi says:

Well mostly, betas are still proper betas. Certainly the case with early access stuff on Steam. EA is one of the few assholes to try and sell the idea of a beta as a limited demo.

2. jasta85 says:

I guess it’s a positive thing that they’re making the game open to everyone as it shows they’re at least confident that it’s not junk. On the other hand battlefield hard line did the same thing and it got a pretty bad reception. I hope they don’t rely on the star wars franchise to carry this game

• Xzi says:

That’s exactly what they’re doing. It’s Star Wars and it has lots of graphics. Sadly, I think a lot of people will buy it on that premise alone, but Hearthstone-style matchmaking in matches this size is not going to be pretty.

• Sabbatai says:

You mean, by freely offering it to everyone? What more can EA do to make you cynical lot happy? If it were preorder only you’d be up in arms. If it cost money you’d be up in arms. If they give it to you for free you still have nothing kind to say about them at all.

“Sell” is not remotely close to what is happening here even if you just mean “promote as.” There is nothing “limited” about this.

They call it a Beta and people are scrambling to shit on them for not calling it a demo.

Either way, I’m sure I’ll see each and every one of you in the damned beta and later at launch.

3. DarkLiberator says:

I will give DICE props for allowing us to try out the game.

I dunno if I’d buy it, since the lack of server browser is very offputting.

4. SomeDuder says:

Haha oh man, I figured I’d give it a try at least, since Hoth-imagery gets my tauntaun going, if you understand this cool manner of parliance, so I checked Steam, but hey! It’s an EA thing! Which means there are some people in this world, probably a bit older than most, who dress in suits (maybe not on fridays though, idk, I don’t work at EA), who think that someone is going to bother making an Origin account and installing the application so as to try a glorified demo for what used to be a cool franchise on this dreary sunday afternoon.

That someone, however, is not me.

• spaced says:

The whole “i refuse to use origin/uplay because it isn’t steam” point of view is so 2011.

But by all means deprive yourself of some harmless fun. I’ll take your spot in the game. I don’t mind.

• Xzi says:

Is it still valid to say that I refuse to play on Origin because EA still only makes samey half-finished games with ridiculously over-simplified mechanics and assloads of DLC?

• Sabbatai says:

Sure, if you like using one unrelated argument to bolster another.

• Sabbatai says:

Origin allowed refunds long before Steam. They give free games away routinely. Their client uses less resources than Steam.

I mean, it’s your life. Do what you want, but this is a pretty stupid reason to not try a game.

5. Synesthesia says:

40 player? I was under the impression this was more of a titanfall game, with little players, and creep mechanics. I’m confused.

artrexdenthur says:

Yup, it appears that one of the hallmarks of the series that DICE has seen fit to keep is the rather-large player counts.

• Asurmen says:

Not sure what gave you that idea.

6. Barberetti says:

Y-wing bombers over Hoth?

• mattevansc3 says:

According to the Wiki that’s true. Its likely that we didn’t see them in the movie because they were busy escorting the cruisers or just that due to technical and budget limitations they couldn’t film an aerial battle in the more.

• Asurmen says:

But it’s really dumb though. Those Y-wings would have eaten the AT-ATs for breakfast and they make poor escorts.

7. freedomispopular says:

Never played the originals, but I’m honestly really looking forward to this. I can understand why people are concerned about it being “dumbed down,” but don’t forget there are a whole slew of people out there who just want to be able to jump into a game and have some fun. I have neither the time nor desire to build up any kind of skill in or learn the mechanics of CS:GO or one of the various MOBAs (or deal with their tosic communities), and I just don’t play FPSs enough to be remotely competitive in Battlefield or even CoD. So this really looks like a game where I can jump in with relatively little skill and still be competitive and have some fun, and I’m very much looking forward to that.

8. Det. Bullock says:

I might even try it, if not to see if my specs are up to par for the graphics as my internet connection is still shit.

9. Be_reasonable says:

I’m not installing Origin.

• Sgt_Big_Bubbaloola says:

Why the Origin hate exactly?

I would love it if all games operated though Steam due to convenience, but after initial teething troubles (which may I remind people Steam had for years after launch) it works fine for the most part, can be set to only launch when a game starts and that you don’t HAVE to buy the game through the Origin Store.

Also, arguably, without Origin setting the standard we wouldn’t have the much better Steam refunds that are now in place

10. OmNomNom says:

So far it is fun and looks beautiful. Let’s hope they don’t turn it into a casual console mess

P.s i wish was bf 2143 instead.