Made It! 80 Days Out On PC Today

Oh I've got LOADS of time left. This'll all be fine, I'm sure.

80 Days [official site] was a mobile game various RPS writers have snuck mentions of in around the place whenever they could, keen to write about it. Myself, mine were mostly reminders that I really should play 80 Days after all the wonderful things I’ve heard about Inkle’s globetrotting adventure filled with beautiful words.

Well, now we can be loud and proud, as 80 Days is out on PC. Our version is rebuilt in Unity 5, with new cities to visit, new plotlines, and many thousands of new words.

Set in a steampunk version of the year 1872, 80 Days sees Phileas Fogg boldly betting that he can cross the entire globe within four score earthly rotations. That’s all good and well for him, but players are the ones responsible for him actually making it – I bet he’ll take all the credit too. As you plot your route via balloon, mechanical camel, walking city, and whatnot and manage resources, you’ll stumble into intrigue and excitement. It’s mostly textual, and our Adam said the original “puts almost every other collection of words I pored over in 2014 to shame”. Gosh!

If you’ve played the mobile version, here, this blog post goes over the new adventures arriving with this release. The new stuff will make it to pocket telephones too, by the by.

80 Days is out on Windows and Mac for about £7. It’s on Steam, GOG, and Green Man, and due to hit Humble today too. Here, have a trailer:

1. Turkey says:

Ah, cool! I’ve been wanting to try this ever since Idle Thumbs talked about it on their podcast, but I’m kinda paranoid about paying for stuff with my phone.

2. malkav11 says:

And with freshly doubled price, too. I dunno. I love 80 Days and Inkle, and it’s totally worth $10, and I get that the mobile market is less willing to deal with any price tag at all. But it still kind of rubs me the wrong way when a game comes out on one platform, takes months to be ported to the platform I actually want to play it on and doubles or triples in price for the privilege. Especially when, like 80 Days, I’ve already purchased the game on a platform (iOS) where it will never, ever be launched again now that it’s on PC. Conversely, I have no issue at all with having something launch at the higher price (in this case $10) on my preferred platform (PC) and then later come to mobile at the exact same lower price ($5, in this case). Maybe that makes me a hypocrite.

• DrollRemark says:

It’s almost like porting a game from one platform to another (and adding new content) takes work, or something! The cheek of it all.

I’m not sure what you’re saying here – you know it’s getting a massive free update for the mobile versions too?

• Vorrin says:

Well, you know, it also could be argued that making the game itself took even substantially more work, which was satisfactorily paid off at 5$ a pop, so, why does this (lesser quantity) of work, has to cost the final user twice/thrice as much?
        (but yeah, imho, we do know the answer, it’s indeed the ‘mobile people aren’t used to spend 10$ on things, PC users are’ )

3. EkoAzarak says:

My daughter bought 80 Days. But she never gets a chance to play cuz I’m addicted. I’m a mean father

4. anHorse says:

From the little I’ve played it’s utterly fantastic.

I can tolerate raised prices when the game remains under a tenner, especially if it encourages phone devs to port their work over

5. EhexT says:

Yet another unnecessary massive price raise on a mobile port for no other reason than they can get away with it. Which they really shouldn’t.
    Imagine if publishers started doubling the price of GTA or Assassins Creed or Call of Duty on PC, just because it’s a port.

• trjp says:

Humans are crap at valuing things – they use irrational comparisons and illogical concepts to the extent that everything ends-up being priced ‘irrationally’ – or, more specifically, based on “what the market will bear” (which is another way of saying “what other people charge for similar things”)

Unfortunately, this means PC games tend to be pricier – but the PC market also has a deep-seated addiction to sales and discounts thus it’s only a matter of time before the game is discounted (discounts on mobile platforms happen but are WAY less common and generally nowhere near as deep)

• trjp says:

p.s. might be worth noting that major AAA console games are not only cheaper on PC but also sell FAR fewer copies.

You might not want to should too loudly about pricing inequities – they might hear you and realise it’s not worth their time ;0

• malkav11 says:

Depends on the game, and the timeframe. And it’s usually well in excess of what they’d need to cover the time and effort involved in doing the port or people -wouldn’t- do it.

6. bonuswavepilot says:

This is a spectacular title.

So long as you go into it realising that a lot of it is (very nicely presented) text, with decisions made by choosing which of a number of sentences ought to begin the next paragraph, you will not be disappointed.

You also engage in inventory management: buying and selling stuff cannily at towns lets you make back some cash, and may equip you with items that either provide new routes, influence what possible events occur, or impact how likely you are to be able to negotiate moving a departure date forward.

Then there is Fogg’s health – if you neglect him to often to go gallivanting, or continually choose arduous travel options, he may eventually lose heart and give in, or worse! Finally there is choosing among the routes available to you to plot the course itself.

Mostly though, it is about the fantastic story – lovely dry wit, love interests (interestingly, in the few games I’ve played everyone who has made a pass at Passerpartout has been a fellow – though I assume this is either something in how I’m playing or just luck of the RNG rather than the only option available), political intrigue, silly stiff-upper-lip Britishisms and lots of the abovementioned steampunk chicanery.