Cameroonian Action-RPG Aurion Turns To Kickstarter

I don’t hear much about games coming out of… well, half the globe, so hearing about Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan [official site] last year was interesting to me. Cameroonian team Kiro’o Games have now turned to Kickstarter to crowdfund the action-RPG drawn from their culture and myths. As with Never Alone, it’s great to have more games teaching about unfamiliar cultures. It looks like Aurion might be a lark too, inspired a bit by Namco’s Tales series. You can see for yourself, as it has a demo.

Aurion sees a prince betrayed by his brother on his combination wedding-and-coronation day, then fighting with his love to reunite the tribe and reclaim the kingdom in 2D real-time action. I haven’t had time to poke at the demo today, but it’s over here so go right ahead. Here’s the Kickstarter pitch video, which has chunks of gameplay:

Or here’s a video focused on the action:

With 21 days to go, Kiro’o have pledges of €16,546 towards their €40,000 goal (about £30,000). If you want in, pledging at least €20 ($15) will get you a copy of the game on Steam for Windows once it’s finished, which is expected to be in April 2016. Planned stretch goals include Mac and Linux versions.

1. sweenish says:

Assassin’s Creed doesn’t have women in its multiplayer, and it’s this whole thing.

A team from Camaroon wants to make a game that draws directly from their culture, and no bats an eye.

• Renevent says:

Not that I care or think the fact Assassins Creed doesn’t have any women in it’s MP is an issue, but why would anyone bat an eye on this game drawing inspiration from it’s developers own culture?

• pepperfez says:

Ubisofts are spawned by asexual division, yet they were attacked for failing to represent human sexual dimorphism. It’s a shame, really, that they failed to articulate their issues; it could have been a real learning opportunity for everyone.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

Uh. Yeah? And?

• fenryo says:

keep the mind in peace everyone, the fact that RPS and a lot of others makes press release is already something good nah?
      by the way the game have place for women as mentionned in the making of othe heroine : link to kickstarter.com

• oldmarriedman says:

Could you explain how those two things are connected?

• sweenish says:

Diversity in games? I thought it was a pretty clear comparison. Apparently not.

• sweenish says:

I mean, the “Internet” says that diversity in games is important, and needed. Ubisoft got raked over the coals for their lack of it in the game, even though the team is probably one of the more diverse in the AAA space. Now they’re placing a trans-gender character in the next game, and the opinion is still split because many believe it to be a token gesture, and not a “real show” of diversity.

And here we are, as the collective whole, given a golden opportunity to embrace diversity and help some people realize a dream, and the response is nothing more than “eh.”

Again, I thought the comparison was pretty clear.

• Sin Vega says:

Ahh, I see what’s happened here. Your original comment reads like you’re suggesting there’s something wrong with this game and that people should be complaining about its lack of women (or something similar), when I think you meant the opposite – that people made a fuss about lack of representation in AC, but when a game made entirely by black people drawing from the extremely under-represented source of Cameroonian culture and mythology, featuring a black woman as a major supporting character, nobody wants to know.

It is a bit of a shame, but then it’s early yet. I’ve been keeping an eye on this one and am looking forward to how it turns out, but it looks like a full release is a while off yet.

• hpstg says:

Has anybody noticed lately that we have stopped talking about the game in the game, and we get too absorbed about what the game is “supposed” to be? Unless is Child Rape Sim 10, can we actually check on its merits as a game first, and as a social commentary (if it ever was intended to be) later?

2. oldmarriedman says:

I’m really interested in this game, but I’m honestly nervous about backing such a new team. This is their first game, and that is a really low target for a complete game. Really torn between supporting more diversity in gaming vs potentially supporting another failed Kickstarter.

• fenryo says:

the fact is that we are working on the game since december 2013, the KS is to polish the game and get a full professionnal translation (or linux, console release if the stretches are good enough).
      The game will be out even if the KS fail.

• Sin Vega says:

The impression I got from their site KS page is that their fans actually asked them to put it on kickstarter to secure that last bit of polish and those little extras that budgets never quite stretch to at the end.

3. fenryo says:

there is a hot video on the game played by gameingEthos just right now : link to youtube.com

4. Nereus says:

Backed this a week or so ago, not my cup of tea but I want more African representation in games desperately. Really pleased that the game is going to be released kickstarter or not.

• fenryo says:

cool thank you for your supports. What we are searching now is lot of youtubers who will play the demo and show the high potential of the game pads in hand. So if someone have a youtuber buddy it will be cool to give him the info

• Lakshmi says:

Interesting title. I was wondering if I should back it & then I saw how gracefully you handled some of the less polite comments above. Off to back now :)

• fenryo says:

Thanks this is the “kiro’o effect” lol, maybe also because I have seen saint seya omega this morning with all the “luv the world” stuff…

5. NephilimNexus says:

Ok, now that I’m back from washing the blood out of my eyes… what did I just watch? This… this is what happens when you ask otaku to interpret Africa. Still, it’s not quite as culturally offensive as “Way of the Samurai 4,” at least.

• wishinghand says:

This is what happens with Cameroonians interpret Cameroonians. I don’t see how it’s culturally offensive at all.

Phasma Felis says:

I truly, honestly have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

20 Euros is not 15 dollars, more like 20-22 dollars. That is all.

7. TeeJay says:

My random anecdote about video games and Cameroon/Cameroun:

Back in 1990 I travelled for six months overland by truck from London to Nairobi via West Africa.

For some reason my two strongest memories of Cameroon are camping on the black sand beach, at one of the rainiest places on earth, where Mount cameroon rises out of the Atlantic and second, finding and playing an arcade video game in a cafe in the capital, Yaounde. It stood out for me because it was the only one I saw during the whole trip. (Sadly I can’t remember what the game was or where the cafe was.)