Shadowrun Returns Devs Bring Back BattleTech, Is Successfully Kickstarted Almost Immediately

Edit: now at over $800k after less than a day. Lawks!

BattleTech is/was the setting for the beloved MechWarrior series, but began life as a 1984 tabletop wargame, long before it was a mech combat sim. Though MechWarrior pops up again now and then (usually involving some tortured development process), the BattleTech name itself didn’t get a whole lot of use when it came to videogames – although Command & Conquer creators Westwood had a go at one. But now it’s getting its first non-spun-off time in the PC gaming sun since 1994, as a new turn-based mech tactics game being developed by Harebrained Schemes, of Shadowrun Returns fame.

BattleTech reached its $250,000 Kickstarter goal within around an hour of announcement. Blimey. However, the game won’t have a singleplayer campaign unless it reaches one million dollars. Wait, what?

One of Harebrain’s key devs is Jordan Weisman, who co-created both Shadowrun and BattleTech. Additionally, Mitch Gitelman was producer on the MechCommander series, which is somewhat closer in style to the new game than the FPSish MechWarrior titles were. HBS have got form when it comes to resurrections, of course – the Shadowrun Returns series of cyberpunk RPGs is pretty darn solid, has had two highly successful Kickstarters and is blessed with an ardent fanbase – so hopefully the new Battletech is in safe hands.

See what you think, though; they’ve gone back to the Kickstarter well for a fourth time, and are after a minimum $250,000 to make their ‘tactical mech command’ game. Which they’ve already hit, so… Anyway, here’s the pitch:

It’s set in the ‘classic’ 3025 BattleTech Succession Wars Era, which refers to the fact that the in-game fiction has roamed across some 1150 years. So while we don’t get any in-game footage to speak of yet, HBS are talking quite a bit about the new BattleTech’s place in the overarching lore. There’s much more about that on the KS page, as well as a great deal of focus on stretch goals, which are apparently key to dev plans.

For instance – and this makes my eyebrows do a very frantic dance – they’re not including a singleplayer campaign unless it hits $1 million – i.e. four times the target. You just get a Skirmish mode against AI otherwise. Multiplayer isn’t in the mix unless it hits $2.5m – i.e. 10 times the target. Wowzers. Big numbers, but we’ll have to have faith that it’s reflective of what modern dev costs for a project like this.

HBS say they’ve already self-funded the project to the tune of $1 million, which they claim will be enough to fund the base Skirmish mode, which they’re now in pre-production on. The initial $250k crowdfunding purportedly adds the ‘combined arms’ module to it, which adds non-mech AI stuff into the game, “including tanks, hovercraft, support vehicles and more.” The funding tiers only get more granular from there:

It’s already well passed £300k at the time of the writing, and given how fast it hit the goal I’d be surprised if it didn’t reach at least the $1m mark – especially as there are 35 days to go. People do love their mechs, and they haven’t been too well catered for lately. Hopefully a footage reveal is in the pipeline for mid-way through the campaign, however. More on this soon, I don’t doubt.

1. seroto9 says:

The correct link to the KS page is: link to kickstarter.com (you’re welcome!)

2. Alec Meer says:

Kickstarter links now fixed, sorry I am tired and stupid.

• Emeraude says:

Aren’t we all ?

• Spacewalk says:

If you ain’t lying on the floor like a drunken David Hasselhoff you are neither tired nor stupid.

3. unimural says:

I’m aware of only 3 BattleTech video/computer games beyond the MechWarriors. The two made by Westwood, Crescent Hawk’s Inception and the imho far superior sequel Crescent Hawk’s Revenge. Both still rather wonky games. There’s also a SNES BattleTech game, which I’ve never played, but which some people speak of fondly.

Interesting to see what HBS make out of this one. The Shadowrun stuff is a good reason for cautious optimism.

• Carlos Danger says:

I think you are missing out on Mech Commander, which was my favorite of them all. I am hoping that this new game will scratch that same itch, though I will need to wait till they are on something beside Kickstarter.

• unacom says:

Yes, very much. Thank you for mentioning this. Mech Commander was one of the bestest games in the whole series and is direly in need to be covered in the “Have You Played…” series.

• Jekhar says:

There were two SNES Battletech games. One was a conversion of the first Mechwarrior PC game, using Mode 7-ish graphics. The other one was a top town action game, which seemed a lot like a Desert (Jungle/Urban) Strike total conversion. You used a Mad Cat to stomp around a large map, doing various missions in the process. That one was also released on the Mega Drive.

4. peterako1989 says:

It must reach stage 3! I care not for stage 4.

• Talahar says:

Yeah, I don’t care much for stage 4 either,
      but reaching stage 3 would pretty much result in the perfect
      Battletech experience for me. Here’s hoping we can make it
      happen. :D

• DarkFenix says:

Backed it simply because I really want to see a game like this with that stage 3 goal.

5. Psycold says:

PC only game gets a quarter of a million dollars in funding in less than an hour…it’s no wonder we are seeing less and less of those moronic “PC gaming is dead” articles.

6. pepperfez says:

Seems a bit silly of them not to just ask for the full million when they’re sure to get it and it’s what most of their backers think they’re buying.

• GiantPotato says:

The problem is that you get nothing from Kickstarter if you don’t meet your goal, so there’s an incentive to set the amount as low as possible. I think this would more appropriately be a $2 million pitch, but they don’t want to run the risk of getting nothing.

There’s also an incentive to set goals low because then you’ll get press like “Successfully Kickstarted Almost Immediately” instead of “Reached 10% Funding in One Day”.

• Emeraude says:

Let’s put this under humility.

Maybe misplaced, but I do think they’ve shown genuine amounts of it during the Shadowrun development(s).

• Kaeoschassis says:

Definitely misplaced. I don’t think anybody here doubts they’ll have their million. Personally I’d give it a few days tops. A team of proven KS vets people seem to adore throwing money at, and a game people have been desperate to see made for years upon years is a foolproof recipe, at least as far as funding goes.

Normally I’d be pretty apprehensive about this – when the campaign is a stretch goal it almost always makes me worry it’ll turn out to be an afterthought. But this is different. I have masses of confidence in Harebrained, and I don’t doubt they were gunning for that ‘stretch’ goal from the start.

And hey, mechs. Everything else is a bonus.

Just let me salvage a Timber Wolf.

• Talahar says:

I see it as a cover-their-butts tactic. After all their
          board game kickstarter wasn’t as huge a success as the
          shadowrun ones, and battletech is a different beast
          after all.
          But I have no doubt in my mind that this will be another
          huge kickstarter for Harebrained, so yeah…. whatever. :D

• AyeBraine says:

Heh, I went and checked, Timber Wolf is a Clan Mech.

…But then I went back again, spent an hour on the BattleTech wiki, and now I know why you said it. It’s a pretty kickass plot – the undercover, underdog, underborn Clan unit in a strange decadent land!

…Wait. If they’re under cover, they can’t take Clan mechs with them, can they? And the page for Timber Wolf says that it was first seen by Inner Sphere folks in 3049. This game’s in 3025. Damn.

(I mean I know almost zero of Battletech lore, but all I actually read and played (MW2) was about Clans, and then a little about “puny” Inner Sphere guys, so the era portrayed is unknown to me. And I hope to see Clan mechs too!)

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yeah I was aware it wouldn’t be showing up even when I typed that. I can dream though.

Maybe if this does well we might see some expansions down the line. Shadowrun sure did well for itself.

• DarkFenix says:

Given the devs’ track record on Shadowrun, if this does well I’d be very surprised if we don’t see a bunch of expansions. I’d be all over one with clan mechs.

• wraithgr says:

If I read it right, it’ll be set in 3025 so no MadCat yet. The good news about that is that there’ll be no clans either!

• GrassyGnoll says:

I’m really pleased they’re setting this in 3025 and not later. This is Locust, Warhammer and Marauder times. Looking forward to nightmare heat and cranky “low” tec mechs having to stand in cold water otherwise it’s just machine guns or risk shutdown. I still have my Box set Battledroids. Sigh!

• klops says:

Not at all. It’s a marketing tactic – as the stretch goals almost always are. People love to see the stretch marks pop. It has nothing to do with humility either.

• GiantPotato says:

I think it was pretty humbling for them when they built the Shadowrun engine and then realized they were out of money and had basically no campaign. The budget for this one looks more realistic and I think they’re trying not to over-promise.

• pepperfez says:

That makes some sense. I was thinking they deserved some swagger from Shadowrun’s success (not to mention a huge license), but I can understand still preferring to be cautious.

• MisterFurious says:

More like they have perfected the art of fleecing their fanbase.

• Caiman says:

After producing one good and two brilliant Shadowrun games, the last one coming in on time and giving backers everything they promised, I’m fascinated to hear why you think they’ve been fleecing their fanbase.

• klops says:

Good point.

But the first stretch goal is a game that’s not ready. No campaign, no multiplayer. Despite the enthusiasm for the game, I’m willing to say that very few people expect (or expected, most likely the funding’s soon around million dollars) or want a game where you can play only skirmishes against the computer. Therefore the first stretch goal is just a thing to build enthusiasm on.

Other projects could do this as well: FPS with physics and arena map as a first stretch, enemies on second and levels on third. Humility or marketing bullshit? Marketing bullshit.

Of course, you can see it as realistic goal, which is good since the Kickstarter project makers tend to underestimate the time and money needed for their games. I just don’t see it honest or humble to make the first stretch as it is.

But the good news is that the game is getting a campaign, which I think we all agree upon.

7. lomaxgnome says:

HBS seem to be one of the few companies who are open and honest about what the Kickstarter developed games actually cost, and know not to overpromise. Personally I think this is the best designed set of stretch goals I’ve ever seen, instead of hastily put together added on bloat, it’s actual game design increases that will result from being able to hire/devote additional programming personnel. Maybe that will become more of the standard instead of the shoot for the moon stuff that is increasingly giving Kickstarter games a bad reputation for late delivery and over promising.

• Jekadu says:

They have experience. They ended up overpromising for Shadowrun Returns and had to cut a lot of corners and work a lot of crunch to fulfill everything. You can tell that they’ve been very careful since. I doubt they went into the campaign fully confident.

• socrate says:

i have heard that so many time now.

8. peterako1989 says:

Im trying to forget MWO

• Cinek says:

Great hope, fun alpha, fun beta, but went so horribly off the track since the moment they decided on a release date and made the game live and public while it wasn’t even half-finished… such a missed opportunity… not to mention the fact that team lacked anyone with any clue how to balance multiplayer games…

• FeedFilter says:

Not to mention the second most toxic community manager in crowdfunding history with Garth Erlam and the crackdown on being allowed to express frustration in their forums.

Of course, Star Citizen manages to top that.

• sebmojo says:

MWO is actually ok these days, still limited to an arena team shooter but they’ve fixed the appalling mechlab and have made solid progress on a bunch of annoyances. Not necessarily worth spending money on but definitely worth a look for its appealingly slow-paced stompy robot tacticals.

• El_Emmental says:

They still haven’t fixed the Pay2Win that are Clan mechs more than a year after adding them to the game, so no, don’t bother with it.

Before going on a rant, let me state that I know what are Clan mechs in BattleTech. And I also know that putting Clan mechs and IS mechs with a 1:1 ratio is extremely stupid (in terms of balance) and completely inaccurate (in terms of lore).

PGI already tested multiple times (in closed betas) having a different ratio (with Clan mechs weighting 1.x IS mechs), it worked, and they still refused to implement that in the game.

They tested Clan vs IS, they found a major imbalance, and still refused to nerf Clan mechs to not anger their paying whales (nb: the non-pejorative F2P term to designate the heavily-paying users).

The result is clear:
        – regarding 1 vs 1 (or 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3) situation, Clan mechs always have a massive advantage (at the very least x1.5 firepower (either alpha strikes or Dmg-per-Heat)).
        – regarding team 1 vs team 2 balance, it means that unless there is a similar amount of Clan mechs in both teams, the match is unbalanced and the game uninteresting (either unchallenging victory or inevitable defeat).

But… you can buy Clan mechs with ingame money now, it’s no longer strictly restricted to people paying $50 packages and upward, right?

Indeed you can now buy Clan mechs with C-Bills. A lot of C-Bills. These Clan mechs cost much more than any other IS mechs (but they’re perfectly balanced remember), making them nearly impossible to grind for the average player (even with premium time).

MWO could have been great but PGI decided to please their whales (the very few fans willing to pour several hundreds of dollars in the game) rather than going for a large pool of paying customers (with $20 to $50 packages).

The game ended up being a P2W buffet, where newbs in IS mechs (without ECM most of the time) were served to the whales – who were somewhat satisfied with their pricey Clan purchases and pre-orders (despite the delays and numerous bugs) because at least they were getting some easy kills out of it. A sad state of affairs.

I tried to make it fun (at first) by seeing this as an extra challenge, and I did clutch my way toward victory countless times against groups of Clan mechs, but the unbalanced crap really got tiring by folding more and more matches that could have been enjoyable without that P2W system.

You can always try taking better shots from behind cover, flanking more often, crippling legs and going for critical hits as much as you can – all that to limit the importance of the Clan boosted firepower – but the vast majority of players just rush forward to brawl without any cover or flanking, making alpha strikes and heat-per-dmg the most important thing, hugely favoring Clan mechs.

Because of that MWO became a complete waste of time so I stopped. Same happened to most MWO players, from the occasionally-buying-some-premium-time-and-IS-mechs to the free players. We’re only waiting for MWO to die and PGI to sell the rights, which is probably going to take 5 to 10 years.

In the meantime, that turn-based BattleTech from Harebrained Schemes might be a good way to have some decent mechs action :)

• SCC says:

Hi El_Emmental,

Are you still active in MWO? Because my experience is quite different to yours I have to say.

I was Founder, I played for a while, bought the Clan Invasion mechs, went away and recently came back and I’ve found the IS vs C balance much better.

If anything, it’s less of an IS-Clan divide now and much more about specific Mech viability – for example the Storm Crow and Timber Wolf kick bottom sure, but so do the Thunderbolt and Stalker. And sure, there’s still a ton for ton imbalance in a strict one on one, but I find the public queue isn’t too bad these days.

And Community Warfare evens things out even more, if anything the IS have an advantage there, especially with organised groups – they’ll stack T’bolts and super quick lights and make life hell for any Clan unit.

TL;DR – MWo isn’t perfect, but it is, IMHO, getting better and PGI are making a genuine effort now (for the first time) to balance whales (like me) and F2P players.

• El_Emmental says:

Well, I’m happy to hear there’s at least a few people who get some fun out of it, but the IS vs C imbalance is just too much and PGI made it pretty clear they would never touch it – no point in staying at this point.

They tried to sugarcoat it with the Quirks, but it failed to have any significant effect: it pigeonholed IS mechs into very restricted builds (what’s the point of having chassis and modular parts then?) and still was far from compensating the massive advantage Clan get (shitload of hardpoints, stronger and cooler-running weapons with longer ranges).

Meanwhile, CW came way too late and is even more prone to stomping by organized squads vs pubs. No matter the game mode, a group of 4 experienced players will crush any pubbers: they lack coordination so it’s always 2 vs 4 or 1 vs 4, rather than 4 vs 4.

Having to join a clan and nag your clanmates to set up a session to compensate the OP Clan mechs – all that to finally enjoy a barely balanced game – is just too much for a game that has some other design flaws to endure. I don’t want to spend half my gaming time nagging gaming friends, waiting for everyone to be available, to finally experience the game (almost) like it should be – simply because a video game studio can’t get their crap together over basic balance design.

They had countless opportunities offered to them to fix that, they ignored them all – at some point you gotta be realist and just forget about it.

I had a blast with MWO until the Clan crap – I actually really really loved it up until that point (I was genuinely going to drop some good money in MWO just because it felt *right*), so now I prefer to keep my vivid memories of these incredible moments and leave PGI to its incompetence.

9. Pkloop says:

Level 3 good enough. I could care less about multiplayer..

• peterako1989 says:

amen

• BTAxis says:

I, on the other hand, could NOT care less.

• Kaeoschassis says:

As a scot with an american girlfriend, it’s always confused me no end how those two phrases can be used to mean, apparently, the exact same thing. It’s ridiculous.

Then again, they don’t even put flakes in their ice cream cones over there. They don’t even HAVE flakes, for the love of dog!

• Flimgoblin says:

I find I can hold back the tide of apoplexy and indignant outrage/shouting/correcting by imagining an unspoken “but then I’d be dead” afterwards. As in, “I could care less but then I’d be dead”. This allows me to care somewhat less about the fact that someone wrote/said “I could care less.”.

Lars Westergren says:

It’s also the last 24 hours for Divnity: Original Sin 2. Plus lots of other KS news, check the forum thread if interested.

11. Xzi says:

Playing and loving Shadowrun: Dragonfall now. Couldn’t throw my money at the screen fast enough for a turn-based mech strategy game.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Dragonfall’s a gem. Must get around to grabbing Hong Kong…

12. Emeraude says:

Nice. Glad for them, they deserve the support.

13. ffordesoon says:

“For instance – and this makes my eyebrows do a very frantic dance – they’re not including a singleplayer campaign unless it hits $1 million – i.e. four times the target.”

I’m not sure why this is making your eyebrows dance. A proper single-player mode is expensive, and BattleTech is, at its core, a strategy game about tactical mech battles. It makes sense to focus on that core game first, then do a more involved SP mode if people want it. Granted, I’m more interested in a single-player “RPG mode” than mech skirmishes, but the core fanbase will want mech battles first and foremost.

Frankly, the only thing that makes me raise an eyebrow about the pitch is how high up on the stretch goal chain PVP multiplayer is, and only because I would have thought letting people fight each other online would be priority one. But the positive response to that decision says to me they know their audience.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yeah, it’s not that the multiplayer is a bad idea, of course it’s not. I am (apparently like you) of the opinion that the vast majority of games are more fun with friends, and that definitely goes for tactical battles. If that option is there I’ll definitely be using it, and I’m sure a lot of the other battletech fans will too.

The thing is, there’s a difference between “this is a great game and I want to play it with my friends” and “I enjoy multiplayer games”. I don’t get much enjoyment out of playing with total strangers and, usually, getting my arse kicked by them. If my friends aren’t available, if the internet is down (as it frequently is here), if I’m just not feeling sociable, if I’m feeling in the mood for something more plot-driven, or if I just want to mess around or practice, there are a LOT of reasons I’d want to play single-player.

I guess what I’m getting at is, I don’t think people dislike multiplayer, it’s that a lot of people only enjoy it on their own terms. How it seems to me, anyway.

14. kud13 says:

Michael Stackpole’s BattleTech books were my first introduction to English SF.
    I’ll have a look-see, but really, only interested in this if there’s a campaign.

Bluerps says:

I remember that Stackpole’s books were my favorite, when I read the Battletech novels as a teenager. I haven’t read anything he’s written since the DragonCrown War, though, which was over 10 years ago.

• TheRaptorFence says:

I had to do a wiki check, but it’s true: he wrote the first few X-Wing series and I, Jedi. God, I ate his stuff up as an adolescent. Now I’ve got to go find “Rouge Squadron” from my shelf…

• SCC says:

His BT and Star Wars work is excellent genre material, but I actually prefer his own universes.

Even the short stories, like Trick Molloy ones serialised on his website, are worth a read.

• guygodbois00 says:

“Rouge” Squadron, surely?

15. gealach says:

…is what Janos Marik said.

It’s very wise of HBS to make MP the last goal. No gruntling from SP-only players. And the tabletop fans looking for a way to engage in something visually more appealing than MegaMek are likely willing to bridge the gap.

teije says:

Not super interested in the setting, but I think very highly on how HBS delivers on their Kickstarters and stretch goals seem realistic. May just back this one too.

17. Reapy says:

Old School Battletech: Yes Please… WAIT… no single player campaign until 1 million… Gah. But they have a good track record, I hope? I didn’t follow them beyond the first shadowrun.

Well, might as well throw money at it on the way up and hope we get to #1 at least. Hoping to hit #3.

The world needs more battletech.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Don’t worry yourself, you’ll get your SP campaign.

• ParasiteX says:

At this rate they are well on their way to reach a million.
      And their track record so far with Kickstarters has been pretty amazing. And they’ve shown time and time again to being able to deliver on their promises in a reasonable time frame.

I think i will be dropping a $25 pledge on it. Though, if it doesn’t reach stage 3 goal, for the expanded single player. Then i may pull my pledge. As it’s the expanded single player campaign that interests me the most.

18. Cinek says:

Erm… all the models and stuff looks like taken straight from Mechwarrior: Online.

What’s up with that?!

• NooklearToaster says:

They mention on the ks page that all of the modles were shared with them to keep visual parity throughout the franchise. I don’t mind it myself, especially since the MWO mechs are gorgeous.

• Cinek says:

Yea, I like them too. Just was curious what’s going on, cause… gash, I would hate seeing Piranha Games interfere with any other game ever.

• Emeraude says:

I seem to remember an interview mentioning HBS had a deal with the makers of MWO for art assets, to maintain artistic cohesion across products and diminish costs.

Don’t quote me on that though. Feeling stupid and tired right now.

• Xzi says:

I don’t see why not. MWO looks good, if nothing else. Actually there pretty much is nothing else…it’s not that fun. Looks good doe.

19. ecbremner says:

I suppose this means no more Shadowrun games for a while. Thats a bummer. Battletech aint my thing but HBS absolutely knocked all three Shadowrun games out of the park.

• Werthead says:

I’m fine with this. I enjoyed all three games, but there was definitely a feeling by the end of Hong Kong that they’d played out that design. A fourth game in that mould would still be fun, but without more art assets, more writing and more stuff to do, the series would start getting diminishing returns.

Playing Satellite Reign, I’d love to see Harebrained licence that engine and create a more open-ended Shadowrun game with their conversations and making the combat turn based. I think that would work really well.

20. TechnicalBen says:

“However, the game won’t have a singleplayer campaign unless it reaches one million dollars. Wait, what?”

Well then, I’ll never get it… wait, in the time it’s taken to get home, read the article and check the KS, it’s practically half way there (Ok, not quite but $435k as of writing).

So I’ll get a SP campaign! :D

I will hold off till release though, as I’d prefer to see the finished product before committing, in case it’s a different flavour and one I don’t like (though I support where I do see a purchase guaranteed, but usually only when an alpha is there to sustain my appetite).

• TechnicalBen says:

PS
      “Mitch Gitelman, the Producer of the classic MechCommander series of tactical ‘Mech combat games. ” is involved.

Must. Try. So. Hard. Not. To. Back. Instantly….

21. Distec says:

This is cool, but I was somebody brought up on the Mechwarrior games and have never touched anything “BattleTech”.

So while I’m happy for this development, it also comes with an aching sorrow that I don’t have any first-person mech sims outside of MWO… which was not my cup of tea.

Unless I’m entirely overlooking some developer carrying that torch.

• jeeger says:

Well, there was of course the *excellent* Mechwarrior: Living Legends crysis mod, which I played for a bit some years ago. However, development did stop in 2013, so I don’t know if anyone is still playing it.

The game was excellent when I tried it however, I went in there with low expectations (it’s a mod after all).

Re: HBS, somehow, a turn-based MechWarrior game doesn’t sit right with me, and the Shadowrun game engine in Returns was much too simple to allow me the full fiddlyness of controlling a hulking war machine (heat, jump jets, torso twist etc). I’d much rather have a new realtime MechWarrior game. But! If it’s not too expensive, I’ll throw a few bucks in the ring, if they can make it to the single player campaign.

• Walkerk19 says:

They won’t be using Shadowrun engine. The game will be in full 3D.

22. jgf1123 says:

What I’d like to know is a list of mechs that will appear in the game.

• gealach says:

From the Kickstarter FAQ:

LIGHT: Locust, Commando, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Urbanmech

MEDIUM: Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadowhawk, Wolverine

HEAVY: Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, JagerMech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Orion

ASSAULT: Awesome, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Stalker, Highlander, Banshee, King Crab, Atlas

No “Unseens”, no Clans

• jgf1123 says:

Thanks!

• Scandalon says:

I’ll mention that post left out a rather significant part:

BATTLETECH is in pre-production, so many decisions, like the final ‘Mech roster, are not yet determined. But here are the ‘Mechs we’re currently planning to include:

• neotribe says:

No Archer or Longbow. No Marauder. No Warhammer. No LAMs.

• Philopoemen says:

Unseen, even the Project Phoenix versions, invite all sorts of legal dramas that are best avoided.

Plus it has synergy with the Starter Set of the tabletop game.

• neotribe says:

Well, this whole Unseen/Reseen thing was news to me. How unfortunate. I had no idea my tattered copy of the TRO-3025 is disowned content. Weird that such foundational mechs now can’t be used. Seems to me maybe something could be done about the VMI-created designs more easily than the ones from Macross, etc….

23. rocketman71 says:

Great news, the Shadowrun games were fantastic, and Weisman usually knows what he’s doing.

Let’s hope we don’t get a huge stinking bag of broken promises like we did with MW Online.

24. Philopoemen says:

Used to be a Catalyst writer a few years back for BattleTech, so threw my money at the screen as soon as I saw Randall Bills mentioned. Plus Mike Stackpole. Sold.

25. NephilimNexus says:

Or you could all just go play MegaMek, right now, today, for zero dollars.

*rolling eyes*

• Philopoemen says:

MegaMek is for the BattleTech fan who wants to play pick up games against a human opponent. Its less a game, and more a tool – I know when we were designing canon designs we’d put them into MegaMek to test them out, as it was a lot quicker.

This new game seems more in line with CHI, especially if they get the SP campaign goal.

• HopeHubris says:

Ah, yes, the engaging single player campaigns of MegaMek

• Cinek says:

MegaMek is a nightmare, really.

26. TTex says:

I’ve been burnt by early access/kickstarter projects in the past so, I just…I can’t. But I want this to succeed, I really do. But I promise that if they pull it off, I’ll be right there at the front of the line to purchase a copy.

• Be_reasonable says:

The studio is reliable. I don’t doubt they will finish the project, as they have finished their others. I am an adult who remembers the Mechwarrior games from my childhood. I want to play again.

27. jrodman says:

I remember both my friends playing battletech with miniatures for days to complete a scenario, and a very high quality freeware/shareware Amiga title with a clunk interface that implemented nearly all of the rules. My friend Glen played it for days. I could never figure out either one.

• GuillaumeJ says:

BattleForce (on Amiga) was really great, with a factory and hq modules

It was very good, expanding the rules using computer power (for example, it was not turn by turn, but second by second, and temperature was managed degree by degree), so it was quite nice to play

28. Wetcoaster says:

I hope it turns out better than the abortive Mechwarrior Tactics

29. dorobo says:

I hope it’s not shadowrun with mechs instead of cyber elfs.

30. Imperial_Steel says:

Check out our (very much still in development) tactical giant robot game while you’re at it too :) link to facebook.com

• Jekhar says:

I tried, sadly, it was just a Facebook page. I wasn’t feeling in the mood to go scavenger hunting across several disjointed posts, just to find out what this is all about.

• Imperial_Steel says:

Fair enough! It’s a real time active pause mecha type tactical game. We’ve been waiting on making a website until a) we can use ‘the grid’ (an ai driven automated website builder) since it fits the overarching themes of our game and its universe and b) we have showable alpha level gameplay (we’re pushing hard on nonvisual coding to get the mechanics solidified and haven’t gotten to the gui beyond mockups yet).

• Jekhar says:

Fair enough to you, too! ;-)
          Granted, you have most of the relevant info on your about page. Which is more than most of your “colleagues” do. So take my post as a general rant about FB as homepage replacement.

31. dkfgo says:

I wish the Front Mission guys did this.

32. Janichsan says:

Already more then $800,000, so, yeah, that single player campaign is definitely going to happen… :)

33. icemann says:

“the Shadowrun Returns series of cyberpunk RPGs is pretty darn solid, has had two highly successful Kickstarters and is blessed with an ardent fanbase”

They’ve had 3 highly successful kickstarters for Shadowrun Returns.

You have:
    * Shadowrun Returns
    * Dragonfall
    * Hongkong

Which makes 3.

• Philopoemen says:

Dragonfall wasn’t a kickstarter campaign, it was an addition to the SRR campaign due to feedback from backers and players.

Golem Arcana was the other successful KS campaign.

• Janichsan says:

Dragonfall wasn’t a *separate* Kickstarter campaign. It actually developed from a stretch-goal of the original SRR campaign.

34. Wowbagger says:

Looks a bit like Epic 40K to me, which I heartily agree with. Not out until 2017 though? I’ll wait and see if i’s much cop then.

35. tonicer says:

Turn Based? Meh i want MechCommander2!

• tonicer says:

Errr i mean MechCommander3.

• Walkerk19 says:

Well… they got the guy (and one or two voice actors of the pilots) from Mechcommander on board the development team, if that any consolation for you.

36. vahnn says:

I don’t care about any of it except stage 4.

Quite a gamble!

37. jenkins says:

It just cleared $1M! Here’s to hoping they deliver gloriously.

38. int says:

ERANU!

39. Cederic says:

I want a follow-up (or just re-implementation) of MissionForce: Cyberstorm.

That met all my robotic combat needs. I miss it terribly :(