Multi-Crew Ships & More In Elite: Dangerous Expansions

When Frontier Developments announced a series of expansions (nothing’s ever simple these days) for Elite: Dangerous [official site] back in August, they focused on what the first bit of ‘Horizons’ would bring: planetary landing, letting folks pootle around planets in diddy spacecars. Now they’ve opened up about other plans, and it’s good stuff.

The Horizons expansions will also bring multi-crew ships so folks can fly together, a character creator to give yourself a face, ship-launched fighters with optional AI control, and more. Here, come watch their EGX panel.

The latest newsletter got into all this a bit first, then Frontier chatted more about it at EGX over the weekend. So, multi-crew ships! Frontier explain:

“You’ll be able to share and alternate control of weapons systems, turrets and flight duties to multiply your effectiveness. Even to the extent of piloting a ship-launched fighter and working in combination with the mothership. It’ll be especially useful in some of the very large trading ships coming in season two.”

With multiple people kicking around ships, Horizons will also bring a ‘Commander Creator’ to design your own face to distinguish yourself. Frontier tease that “It’s the first step in the longer term plans we have for you, Commander” which… things went poorly when EVE Online’s focuses wandered from pew-pew Internet spaceships to human avatar experiences, but Elite: Dangerous is a different game in a different time – and has the ‘Walking in Stations’ fiasco as a lesson to learn from.

Anyway! What I find coolest about the Horizon plans is deployable fighters. Big ships will be able to store fighters in their holds, then deploy them either under AI control or flying it themselves. Might be handy to have someone else on your mothership to take the helm while you nip off down the spaceshops, mm?

Here are David Braben and pals showing and chatting about some of this in their EGX session from the weekend just gone by:

Horizons will cost £40. It’s basically one expansion that will be released in several pieces, as I understand it. The first part, arriving around Crimbo, will focus on planetary landings.

1. SteelPriest says:

Does it still feel empty? I played for solid weeks in the beta and only made it a few days into the final release before i got bored.

Don’t get me wrong, totally into space trucking, but in the end i realised i was killing time while waiting for something more interesting to appear. Been meaning to try it again after the updates, but I have a feeling I’ll still feel something lacking…

• Asurmen says:

There’s some mission stuff coming with this as well. Milti-chain missions, missions connected to PowerPlay.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Powerplay could save part of it from that feeling, with the issue being that as of now it’s kind of half assed.

Good news is that some changes are expected for that too, with custom missions and what not to hopefully being able to contribute to your power in more ways.

Planetary exploration is also not exactly the answer to some of the concerns around the game, but sure as hell is a big feature.

All in all i feel they have some pretty proper plans to make the game richer, it’s just that it might not still be enough to shake off that feeling some people have.

• Asurmen says:

PowerPlay could have been interesting, but I soon realised it was just the same grind you could already do, just for slightly roleplay reasons than personal gain.

Missions should hopefully make that better but we’ll see. I’m slightly hopeful with the changes.

• steves says:

“Powerplay could…”

It’s been out for ages, and didn’t. It’s a bad joke, with bad, grindy mechanics, and a sub soap-opera level of writing.

The new close quarters combat feature in the soon-to-be-released 1.4 (in open beta now) however…that fucking owns.

Yes, it’s multiplayer, which I had no interest in ’til now, but it’s incredibly fast & manoeuvrable ships in nicely designed space station ‘arenas’, no-risk of losing any of your stuff, and, well:

• steves says:

Does anyone know how to post a YouTube link without the comment system turning it into an obscured mess that doesn’t let you see the link to view it on YT site?

• BadCatWillum says:

As well as the big features, there has been a steady increase in NPC activity in populated systems and fidelity since the game came out. Pirates will now interdict you and/or follow you from Supercruise to stations, will flee if you are scary, authorities will stop and search, and all kinds of NPCs travel together in groups. The range of chat text has improved too. There are still silly moments but space feels less empty than it did in January, and NPCs feel like film extras, if not supporting actors yet.

• 0positivo says:

the game has gotten better but…

call me silly, but for the greatest flaw in this game… is how much it takes to slow down to reach anything

Sure, you CAN find stuff out in space. You can find neat events, and interesting stories told through salvage and ambushing pirates, and awesome planets with unique vistas of their parent star… but why bother? It takes a split second to fly across it, and sometimes near to a minute to slow down to it. If it was the opposite… flying at several times the speed of light through a system is fun, and at the same time relaxing, and fills you with awe. Slowing down? You literally watch your ETA get bigger instead of smaller for a good 20 seconds, for no real reason. The scenery remains always the same, and you can’t even automate it either, cause if you don’t pay attention, round and round you go

The “slowing down” is, for me, what kills the fun

• Asurmen says:

Hint that served me well. Approach your destination until 7 seconds are your ETA. Slow down and then try and keep 7 seconds as your ETA. You’ll approach as fast as you can but you won’t overshoot and then just drop out as normal.

• Neonin says:

Surf the Six, Fear the Five!

• theirongiant says:

I preferred blasting in and doing a loop around the planet to slow down, just felt a hell of a lot faster.

• KikYu0 says:

When ETA 7 Seconds, Just Set Speed to 75% ( U can Define a Key for that ) – Its Perfekt – u just have to wait 10-15 Seconds.. that Hint made my fking Life a lot more Easyer

• Cinek says:

Does it still feel empty?” – yes.

• MJones says:

It’s still awfully empty. The glory days of the beta bubble are gone forever.

I gave it another chance this week after a long break, open play is empty apart from the community goal areas, which are filled with top-tier maxed out ships waiting around for NPCs to spawn. It’s terrible.

No traders, haulers, lone wolf pilots or interesting engagements to be found anywhere, it has become a game about spaceship PvP because frankly that’s what everyone wants.

Frame rate is better though…

• Synesthesia says:

Oh yes. Very much so.

And i’m very worried about the “released in parts” for an expansion this ridiculously expensive, when they are still missing massive amounts of the promised content during release. Passenger missions, iron man mode, etc.

• Raoul Duke says:

I can’t believe how much the core game still costs. I am sure there are many, many people like me who would buy this if they dramatically dropped the price. But for a game which has had mixed reviews, they are stubbornly keeping it expensive. And now adding super-expensive DLC.

There are just too many excellent games, from AAA to one man band indie stuff, that are vastly cheaper than this game.

I wonder if they’ve ever sat down and worked out how many future sales they would make at the current price versus a significantly reduced price?

• Owl Mark says:

It still has uninspired, flat, repetitive gameplay in gorgeous, beautiful universe with great controls/mechanics. I am waiting for Horizons to go back.

• zeep says:

That’s Elite.

It’s sad for all those who feel they didn’t get a game to play. As an oldschool Elite, FF player this is the game i was hoping for and more. I play single player 90% of the time and i love it.

I seriously doubt all the players hungry for -quite instant – action, never more than 2000 Meters removed from -something happening- and for a massive single player campain will ever get something out of Elite. That was never Elite and i’m glad it stayed true to it’s roots.

• melancholicthug says:

I also find that puzzling. I never played any version of Elite or Privateer, or any other, as i find them exhausting, but it’s really curious to see people complaining that Elite is too much like Elite is supposed to be. It’s like complaining that new Doom is in first person perspective.

2. jack4cc says:

I gave it a second try after buying it in January, when it had pretty much nothing. There is still very little game in that game..

3. Matt_Ceb says:

Oh, look. More stupid multiplayer focused stuff I’ll never touch. Well, as long as it’s in an expansion, I don’t have to engage with it.

Still, would be nice if they actually added some depth and gameplay beyond the most basic to the “singleplayer”.

• Themadcow says:

Sadly, yes, it’s more multiplayer focused stuff. I quite like E:D but the multiplayer focus was a massive disappointment for me. As I’ve said many times before, if you’re “time poor” (i.e. wife and kids) then there is an ongoing feeling that even the luxury of a 5 hour uninterupted session doesn’t accomplish much because you’re aware that there are 10,000 other captains with far more time flying around and, well, you don’t really matter.

• Zenicetus says:

That’s what keeps me from getting back in the cockpit; the lack of singleplayer focus and the heavy shift towards multiplayer features since release. I played it heavily in Beta, but just haven’t been motivated by anything I’ve seen since release. I have no interest in the multiplayer side of the game.

I suppose this MP focus was inevitable in hindsight, since it’s the easy way to go. A developer doesn’t have to work hard on creating interesting “content” if the players are providing it themselves with pew-pew PvP action. Still, it’s disappointing because the underlying mechanics are pretty good, and it still looks great.

4. theirongiant says:

• Arithon says:

It was neither. Just somebody who hadn’t played the game for more than ten minutes, being snide.

• Sinjun says:

I’ve played it for hours and I’d say the same thing. How much playtime would you say is mandatory to understand it’s “depth”? Hell, even calling it an inch deep is being generous in my opinion. It’s a deeply pointless game that’s as hollow as a tech demo.

• cpy says:

I played this game for 100s of hours and this is probably best wording for this game i’ve ever seen. It’s just a tech demo. I mean yeah there’s stuff that looks nice aaaand that’s about it. But nice looking tech demo that cost a lot. If you starve people for good space game you’ll sell even unfinished tech demo.

• Arithon says:

I’ve played for over 1,000 hours and never run out of things to do. It’s neither empty or pointless. Our opinions differ.
          Doing nothing with a game and having nothing in a game are not the same.

• Asurmen says:

They’re not the same no, it’s a shame ED has one and not the other.

• EhexT says:

You could also stand by the same pond skipping stones for 1000 hours and say “you had things to do all those 1000 hours”. That doesn’t make them varied or fun for people who aren’t already into skipping stones. Elite Dangerous is a very, very pretty Space Engine with some extremely light gameplay attached. That still hasn’t changed. They’ve managed to finally find a way to use the fact they’ve got a great flight model and decent combat mechanics with CQC, but it took them how many months to do even that?

And even CQC is incredibly basic, which is essentially the summary for every single thing they’ve done. Powerplay is kind of a metagame, but incredibly basic. CQC is a cool combat arena, but incredibly basic. Mining is just incredibly basic. Bounty hunting is literally the same thing it’s been since release – which is sitting in the same asteroid field instance, shooting pirates while praying to the RNG you get ones with good bounties. Combat Zones are still a joke (they upped the reward from triple digits to five digits, in a game where advancement is measured in millions and millions). Exploration is neat, but you guessed it – incredibly basic.

Everything Elite does can be described as “the least you could do with Feature X and call it functional”.

• Buggery says:

You know all that fun you thought you had? Well you were wrong! You didn’t have any fun. Allow me to explain…

• Asurmen says:

You should have been having fun! You weren’t having fun?! Let me explain to you how it’s your own fault…

• Matt_Ceb says:

I have over sixty hours in E:D, and I fully agree with this description. I’ve seen it all. Over and over and over and over again.

I just keep coming back because it’s, frankly, mildly relaxing and good way to shut down before bed. The sound design, the graphics, the hyperjump… Those make me feel like in space. Make me relax. Make me fall asleep easier when I want to go to bed.

… I don’t think Frontier Design wanted that to be the selling point of their game, though.

But E:D? It’s shallow. Especially when you’re playing singleplayer.

• Hitchslapped says:

They should have just sold their audio files to a company that builds those whale noise alarm clocks and shut the whole thing down

• KikYu0 says:

Agree.. u can Good Watch TV While Playing ED, or like u do make u Ready for Bed. Actually i prefer Cities Skylines for my pre-bed-time.

• sf says:

Bingo!

• Cinek says:

Arithon, how amusing that you pop under almost every single post related to the Elite in order to praise this game beyond any reasonable basis. Cool, we get it, you like it, there’s a nut for every bolt. But why is it so hard to understand that you’re an exception and trying to relate your personal experience to everyone else simply will not work?

• Synesthesia says:

Played it for a few hundered hours here, and yes, I find it pretty accurate. I’m sorry you feel wronged by that description, though. It must be hard to not like a movie around you.

• sf says:

“Can’t remember if it was RPS or Eurogamer who described it as ‘an inch deep but a mile wide’. Don’t think a game has been as perfectly summed up in 7 words as that, haven’t played it in months now so don’t know if it’s improved any since then though.”

It’s actually a really poor description, applied to the game by those who either literally do not understand how the game works, or those who have rather too much money invested in Star Citizen. Out of interest, which camp do you fall into?

• Hitchslapped says:

Why don’t you just enlighten us on how the game works then?

• theirongiant says:

Well I wouldn’t cross the street to poke Star Citizen with a shitty stick so I guess it must be the other one.

• Jediben says:

Yeah, what? There are a number of ways you could describe the flight mechanics and the basics of trade, but beyond that the GAME doesn’t do shit. There is nothing in there to ‘work’, its completely dependent on player presence to even render a system ffs.

5. drinniol says:

E:D Star Citizen expansion!

• BobbyDylan says:

Don’t. You’ll attract the fanboys, and we’ll all have to hide from the flung poo.

• Universal Quitter says:

The poo started flying with the very first comment.

• Hitchslapped says:

The fact is that lots of people were making fun of Star Citizen saying that it’ll never get released and how ED was already finished. The problem is…it wasn’t. Frontier Delevopments just called it 1.0 and sold a game that barely deserves to be called an alpha version.
        Star Citizen might turn out to be an even bigger disappointment than this sh*t here but at least they aren’t rushing it.

• BobbyDylan says:

Battle lines drawn. Poo in hand…

• iainl says:

Things in Elite feel a bit empty, I’ll grant you. Lots of things are only just about implemented; a small number of mission types and a decidedly flaky bounty system that doesn’t act as anything like enough a deterrent to aggressive behaviour in high-sec systems, in particular.

But for us really old people, there’s enough present to call it Elite – everything that we remember from the original BBC classic is there, and more. So I suspect that’s where the dichotomy is coming from.

6. Captain Deadlock says:

Multi-crewed ships, in a game where multiplayer instancing is a dice roll and even NPCs rubberband. Can’t wait. Blaze your own yawn.

7. aurious says:

Is all the new content exclusive to people who buy the expansion or is some of it going to be available to everyone? I’m pretty sure planetary landings require money (because the planets KNOW, man), but if my frind doesn’t buy the expansion will he still be able to ride shotgun in my ship or carry AI fighters?

• BobbyDylan says:

I would imagine some stuff will be free, Like changes to the mission structure, and any changes to the UI.. and maybe even the Commander designer. But I cant imagine selling features being given away.
      I mean, when PDS releases a new DLC for different government types in Eu/Ck, you benefit from seeing these… but you dont get to play as them.

• zethan says:

When you play multiplayer you get to play the dlc if someone else in your group has it. I’m not saying Elite will do that, but I really respect Paradox for it.

• BobbyDylan says:

That is really nice of PDS, and I didn’t know that. But, iirc, less that 10% of Players of PDS games play MP?

• Arithon says:

Not sure about multi-crew, but ships and functions (like looting & crafting) will be across the game, not just limited to Horizons. Some stuff will be game wide, with more planetside – like modules that can only be crafted with resources from planets. After the CQCC release, there’s still another major update (1.5) before Horizons is launched.

Mungrul says:

If they were clever about it, they’d offer a demo version where you could only ever be a crew member and not a full commander.

Mungrul says:

That was supposed to be in response to aurious above, dagnabbit.

9. sendmark says:

All of this stuff is just more trimmings, doesn’t fix the core problem which made me give up on the game – uninvolving and lifeless universe. The PowerPlay stuff just looked like more grinding, as do the pvp missions really. It does annoy me how much Braben was banging on about learning from past mistakes, only to then repeat them.

10. Sinjun says:

Christ, what a massive dissapointment this game is. Still regret dropping $60 before release because of how hungry I was for a space sim. There is no game here. Like others have said on this page, just utterly barren and lifeless and a pointless timesink. The atmosphere and immersion of flying around in space is nice for about an hour tops.

I was hoping as time went on they’d focus on putting life into the game, but instead they’re just pushing the stupid multiplayer MMO shit I can’t imagine anyone who bought this cares about. I could be wrong, but I imagine those types of players are into EVE and not this. Here’s to hoping Star Citizen pans out, because I don’t forsee myself ever going back to Elite.

• aleander says:

While it wasn’t *the* selling point to me, I kinda had hopes for more-fun Eve stuff. I mean, I did presume instancing (there’s a reason Eve’s flight mechanics are what they are), but the way Frontier shied away from player sovereignty and POS mechanics is what made the game is so lifeless, IMO. And I don’t believe any amount of gimmicks is going to fix that.

• sf says:

The game has been received quite well, actually. Some people are unhappy with it, the majority aren’t.

• Synesthesia says:

This, so much this. I wanted to love this one so much. What a shame.

11. Themadcow says:

Does anyone who got all overcome playing E:D using a VR headset still play it using VR? This game was pretty much THE reason I wanted an Oculus and I’m keen to know whether people still see it as a worthwhile use of the technology.

• Arithon says:

I bought a DK2 to play Elite with, but you can’t play more than four hours at a time without leaving a giant white mark on your face! Also in the summer it is REALLY hot with DK2 and headphones on. It’s why I’m looking forward to the Vive or CV1 being lighter. I tried the Vive at EGX and it is a leap forward from the DK2.

12. Kefren says:

Does the expansion include an offline mode? I’ve heard that’s the killer feature nowadays.

13. urughak says:

All the poor comments make me sad. I bought E:D a bit back and haven’t fired it up yet. I was hoping I would love being a spacer. Anyone see good things in it as of yet?

• Martel says:

If you already own it, why wouldn’t you fire it up and find out? :)

• Timbrelaine says:

It’s very fun and immersive, for a little while. You should definitely play it. But unfortunately I agree with the unwashed masses- there just isn’t very much content / meaningful variety in the game, and in the end there isn’t much reason to play.

• sf says:

Personally, I think it’s fricking awesome. Very, very little of the criticism aimed at this title is fair. I think a fair amount of it comes from the Star Citizen kiddies, tho. They are pretty shameless when it comes to not telling the truth about Elite.

• Cinek says:

Oh, nothing better than a patronising tone in a morning.

• Love Albatross says:

Well, I’ve put many hours into this since beta and Star Citizen is a scam, but this is horseshit. Much of the criticism is perfectly fair.

They absolutely fucking nailed the sound and feel, it’s got joyous flight mechanics and combat can be a lot of fun. But once you’ve gotten past the initial spectacle it becomes dull. There’s a lack of interesting missions, making real progress toward buying other ships and parts involves a tedious grind and there are numerous irritating or boring aspects to the gameplay once you get beyond the basic flying around.

There’s a basis for a really amazing game but it badly needs fleshing out. They should have concentrated on that before putting in more features which will likely be half arsed too.

• Zenicetus says:

Since you already own it, I recommend trying it. I predict that you will love the first few hours in the game if you’re a space cockpit romantic like me.

I have some nerd complaints about the flight model, but I think Frontier nailed the experience of climbing into your first small spaceship and heading out into the unknown. That part of the game in the first few hours is awesome, and worth seeing (and hearing, because the sound design is outstanding).

After that… well, it depends on what you’re looking for in a game like this. I wanted a deep singleplayer experience, and it’s just not there. You may like the multiplayer side of the game, especially if you’re heavily into PvP. That isn’t for me, so I haven’t played it since it was officially released, and since all the new features since then have been aimed mostly at multiplayer.

• iainl says:

The experience of piloting a spaceship (particularly now I’m in a Cobra Mk. III) is second to none. Every creak of the hull, every spooling wind-up of the jump engines, every bit of steam coming out the airvents when the ship gets too hot and every terrifying crack in the windscreen under fire gives an incredibly immersive feeling to life as a space pilot.

The galaxy outside your cockpit is beautifully rendered, too, from the continuing revelation that is finding a new type of planet or star to the lovely way your lights play across the side of an orbital station. There’s a real love to the place.

However. Once you’ve had your fill of shooting things up (which could be a while; the flight mechanics have every bit as much love as the way things look and sound), exploring the Great Unknown, trading commodities, performing smuggling runs under the cops’ noses and so on, the limited ways to interact with the society modelled in the game become clear. At which point, you may well become as negative as some in the thread; it’s pretty common around the 50-hour mark, it seems.

On the other hand, the number of games I’ve put 50 hours into before getting bored in the last decade isn’t massive, so I’m happy even if I never load it up again.

• Zenicetus says:

That’s a good point about the game’s value. I have a lot more than 50 hours in it, since I was active all through the Summer beta period before release.

I’m disappointed in the lack of progress since release in the areas I’m interested in (singleplayer), which is why I haven’t played it since release. But I don’t feel I wasted my money. At least I got to fly a spaceship with an impressive cockpit around for a while, and it was a very long dry period between games like that.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Frankly it boggles the mind that anyone can put 50 hours into a game – any game – and then give it such a negative review. I have my disappointments regarding E:D, but I don’t see how anybody who’s played that long can say they didn’t get their money’s worth, at the very least.

Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly with your comment – but for me, the ‘feel’ is pretty much the most important thing. I’d love some more meaningful interaction with non-player stuff, but all I really want is a spaceship, and E:D’s spaceships are perfect. Bleeding perfect.

Regarding the multi-person ships – all I can say is I’m never letting my brother anywhere near the helm during a jump. He has a tendency to let his mind wander when he’s in transit and the next thing you know his cockpit’s on fire and the FSD’s cut out. If anybody else even SCRATCHED any ship of mine I’d never speak to them again.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I think the secret is in the tone. Yeah, there’s a bunch of fairly negative sounding reviews in this comment thread, but doesn’t it seem like they’re less about the game being bad and more about it being less than they had hoped? other than the occasional ranting insistence that everything is that other game’s fault, that seems to be the impression I get from people who have played the game and seen fit to comment. Not bad, just dissapointing. I don’t think it’s really the money that people feel was squandered.

14. anHorse says:

So the game we paid for isn’t anywhere near a complete/functional game yet but it’s getting an expansion?

That’s just taking the piss

• sf says:

Frontier have ALWAYS maintained that expansions with features like these would need to be paid for. Why is that so difficult for some people to understand?

• Fiatil says:

Because the 1.0 version we all paid $60 for was a bit of a hollow shell. You really need to get past thinking everyone saying that is some shill for Star Citizen. I think SC is a bit of a sham with no hope of achieving the impossible expectations, and that has nothing to do with Elite. Elite nails the sensation of flying a spaceship, but all of the backing content feels hollow and meaningless.

It has the pacing and grind of an old MMO, but with very few of the benefits and none of the rewards that tend to come with it. EVE is boring, but it has the promise of eventually flying a giant doom ship and owning territory with your friends. X3 is grindy but let’s you set up a space empire with automated trade fleets and squadrons of carriers. But Elite is stuck between the two and won’t let you do the multiplayer bits of EVE that are appealing and it’s stuck as an MMO and won’t adjust the pacing and structure to allow you to achieve the grand scale accomplishments that a single player game like X3 allows.

• Synesthesia says:

Thank you! I couldn’t have said it better.

• Jediben says:

£100 premium beta was truly a great purchase – lifetime expansions for free, three free ships, blowjob from Kelly Brook every Friday. Well worth it, although with over 100k backers her jaw is getting stiff.

• Cinek says:

But that’s exactly what their business strategy is. I thought it was obvious after they removed single player offline mode right before the release (cause fuck user-created content), and followed soon after with a version 1.0 that came out to be the most shallow sea you ever seen…

• Asurmen says:

It was a month before and because they couldn’t find a way of doing it for the game they wanted to make. Get over it already

15. panicface says:

One of the few games I have deeply regretted buying. The squandered potential has left me really bitter about it.

16. Jane Doe says:

40 Euros I could have spent on something far more useful. Like toilet paper for half a decade.

• aleander says:

Toilet paper is actually a pretty high standard of necessity to meet.

17. Hitchslapped says:

Now you can get bored WITH YOUR FRIENDS.

This game is such a money scam. They created the basis for an alpha version and called it a finished game and now they are charging extra money for every single development step.

• sf says:

Ahhh, you’re sore about having to pay for the expansions that Frontier ALWAYS SAID YOU WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR. I get it now, and it’s funny that, to me, it explains most of the negative things you have said about the game. You have a grudge, thank you, that explains it.

• Cinek says:

Re-read his post. He complains that the game isn’t finished.

• Hitchslapped says:

No I’m not. I didn’t pay a anything for this game. I’m not even against DLCs in general, there just has to be a proper game in the first place. I watched a couple of hours of streams and talked with streamers who told me that it gets boring real quick (and it sure looked boring).
        Why on earth would I buy this game? You haven’t given any argument as to why isn’t as shallow as the majority seems to think it is.

• Retorrent says:

We have no problem with paying for expansions its just the fact that the core game is far from finished. Right now other than some pvp and playing space trucker there is not much to do in the game it feels like a unfinished tech demo, a shell of game that needs to be fleshed out. IF the core game was solid less people would feel that it was unfinished.

Power play added nothing but more grinding and feels flat. It brought zero life to the game, it just added yet another layer of fetch quest and watching blobs on the map expand and contract. They need to flesh out the core game and then worry about expanding. Its like they built a house, put a roof on and some exterior walls and windows but didn’t build interior walls to make rooms and now they are adding a addition to make the house bigger but they never finished the main house.

18. Ufofighter says:

My ship must be still in Sagitario A.

Incredibly boring game. Every mechanic artificially over complex and grindy in an effort to hide how bad and shallow is the design.

The toxic community doesn’t help either.

19. Artist says:

E:D still sucks as much as it sucked when it left Beta! I gave up when I noticed that I need 12hrs of straight trade-grind to get from my Asp to a humble Lakon 6! No need to even think how long it would last if you dont use the super-optimized trade grind. Weeks? Months?

Flightmechanics and visuals are nice but beyond that Frontier is horrible in the gameplay department!

• Kaeoschassis says:

Wait, what? Pretty sure my trader friend managed that in a few days.

20. Deviija says:

For the price of the base game, I thought they’d be improving, tweaking, and adding much more content and layers to the game itself instead of pushing all further features and content into a vague ‘expansion’ of smaller updates of vague explanation of what all will be included. There simply isn’t much game here as it is. It’s very cold, empty, and barren.

21. Rizlar says:

Moan moan moany moan moan. Moan moan moan. Moany moany moan moan moan moan.

• Synesthesia says:

You raise a good, succint point. How many copies do you suggest I should buy?

• Rizlar says:

Sorry, you’ve confused me now. Are we not still doing the moany thing?

22. MJones says:

An hour in Rise of Flight will give you more moments of sheer drama, tension and dynamic gameplay than several months pondering around in Elite Dangerous.

23. MadMinstrel says:

Nope, still not getting this game. Dear space sim developers: I love space sims. I hate f2p, subscriptions, multiplayer, fetch quests, MMOs, DRM and DLC. You’ll get my money when you make a game with all the things I love, but without the things I hate. Deal?

• Asurmen says:

Play solo mode. Problem solved

• Zenicetus says:

Solo mode doesn’t solve all the problems. For one thing, it still feels like playing an MMO with fetch quests and a long time investment (or grind, if you prefer) to get anywhere.

And even though there are good reasons for it, it’s still annoying that you can’t pause the game and answer the doorbell without risking the loss of your ship. That’s just like playing WoW, without any of the side benefits. It’s one of the things the solo participants lost when Frontier decided to kill the offline version.

• Asurmen says:

Solo solves every problem you listed, and some aren’t even relevant to Elite.

• Zenicetus says:

Enlighten me — how does Solo mode solve the problem of not being able to pause the game? Or are we just disagreeing about whether that’s a problem or not?

Maybe it’s just me, but I doubt that the inability to hit a Pause button to answer the doorbell, or take a break for dinner, was high on the list of desired features for people who wanted a singleplayer experience in the new Elite.

• Asurmen says:

I said every problem you listed. You never said anything in that original list that had anything to do with pausing. Not my fault you’re moving the goal posts :P

• Rizlar says:

If you exit to menu it saves your rough location, you can do that at any time, even during combat. Hope that helps if you were indeed having problems not being able to pause.

For what it’s worth, the huge time commitment required to buy the biggest ships is the only criticism I really agree with. The lack of an offline mode that was supposed to be there is definitely annoying, but having played the game I can see how important the reactive, changing galaxy is and how this became hugely dependent on the game being always online. Not to say that they couldn’t have made a completely gutted offline version of the game, but it’s not like SimCity where the game could easily be hacked to run offline and where the online features were frivolous and inconsequential. The changing galaxy is the most interesting part of E:D once you get beyond just shooting stuff and landing.

24. Zaxwerks says:

Space sim/trading games have been stuck in the original Elite’s shadow concerning what a space trading game’s gameplay should be for decades now, and it seem that the ED is suffering the same fate. Sandbox games work because they offer so many things to do and so many different tools to play with, that’s why games like Minecraft, Europa Universalis etc succeed so well. Elite Dangerous suffers from being a sandbox with only the ability to trade, shoot something, mine or go to a location, all with the payoff of upgrading your ship so you can just keep doing those 4 things. You can’t build you own story for hundreds of hours and 400 billion stars with only those 4 mechanics.

There is so much more they could do…

Why not allow base building… mining so you could design and build your own spacestation, heck be able to set up a series of mining operations to build your own planet, or contruct a hysperspace gateway to take you to the other side of the galaxy (and where the other side of the galaxy doesn’t just look exactly the same as everywhere else). Have truly unique MMO-style missions “A mad scientist is intent on destroying a star killing millions of people and you have to locate and destroy/hack/space-walk to sabotage his weapon equipment around the system in a set amount of time or the game actually blows up a star” (there are 400 billion of them after all), “your ship become infected with a virus and you have to locate a research a cure whilst replacing failing parts that are slowly crippling your ship adn threatening to destroy it”, you just have to create say 50 of these type of missions that happen one at a time in a random sequence for each player and each taking an hour and you’ve got 50 hours worth of unique gameplay which is more than most AAA games these days.

I feel that the ED team just aren’t thinking outside the box enough.

• Zenicetus says:

Player-owned bases won’t work in the instanced p2p network model Frontier has chosen for the game. Everyone isn’t on a single server complex like EvE, or on a series of individual server zones like WoW. The only persistent objects in the game are the ones created by Frontier as part of the background sim, like the space stations.

A player-owned station would only exist within your own instance bubble, and could only be seen by the small number of other players who could share that p2p instance at any given time. Your base would disappear from the Galaxy when you logged off, like your ship does. So, not much point in that.

The p2p network model insures that the only thing you’ll ever own in this game is your ship. And that would be fine, if the Galaxy had enough things to do with your ship.

I agree the mission designs are a weak point. Frontier appears to want players to provide most of the game’s “content” through cooperative endeavors like Powerplay faction wars. And it’s just not enough, for some of us.

25. Nicodemus says:

Still playing Elite after many many hours of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and release. I knew from the very start that this game was going to take time to develop, it wasn’t going to be released with everything working and implemented no matter what we all thought. I do agree with a lot of folks though that we got handed aspects of the game that none of us wanted (powerplay) over things that would flesh out existing mechanics. Some of those things we are still waiting for, but credit where it is due FD are slowly adding the bits that a lot of us want to see in the game.

EvE also started off with limited content and over time it built up to what it is today. Elite has decided to go down that route too, which to be fair is actually a better way of developing the game than the never ending feature creep of SC. Sure it might be annoying for those who want everything straight away, but I’d rather they take their time and get things right and learn from the half baked implementations of things like Powerplay to produce something that will engage everyone.

Elite does have it’s flaws, no more or less than any other game, but it does have the possibility of changing. So for your $60 you’ve bought a game that currently doesn’t tick all your boxes, but could well do so in 2 or 3 years time. Which is a damn site better than spending $60 on an FPS that has 1 DLC and a new version the year after.

Elite is a long term game, just as EvE is. Development will change the game over time, while you may not enjoy it now, you may enjoy it later. So that $60 is actually a pretty good investment where many games these days are play once, forget forever.

26. Chorltonwheelie says:

I bought this game in good faith.
    How many times do they want me to pay them for it again?
    They can fuck right off.

• Nicodemus says:

What’s wrong with paying for an expansion? Like many other MMO based games they charge for the expansion. Doesn’t stop you playing the game.They haven’t said that the base game doesn’t get anymore attention, in fact they have come out and said that it will. If you don’t want to pay for the expansion that’s your right, but they have supplied your good faith with a game that is still getting attention. You want to enhance the experience buy the expansion if not, continue playing as is. You don’t have to pay them if you don’t want to.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

It’s not an expansion it’s the bits of the game they didn’t put in on release.

You know…to rip off idiots. What sort of self loathing toad would gladly embrace this? The hairy shirts over there mate. Go and put it on.

• Nicodemus says:

And which bits would that be then? I knew this game would take time and I also knew that there was no way it could get everything in at the start. FD aren’t satisfied either, and will continue to work on the base game to get it right. The only idiots are the people who didn’t read or comprehend that this would be a work in progress for a long time. So I would suggest that the hairy shirt is yours and you look lovely in it.

• slavasesh says:

At least what they’ve released works in the way they intend. You’re crucifying them over asking you to pay for more of the same, but are you harboring that same resentment toward developers like Bethesda or EA, which constantly churn out unfinished titles and call them “AAA” games? I sure hope so, or the hypocrisy is strong in you . . .

• slavasesh says:

btw, I just realized that I said “developers like Bethesda or EA” . . . if you’d have told me, 10 years ago, that I’d be comparing the two companies, today . . . I’d probably have laughed at you.

27. Stimpack says:

It’s “Multi-crew” a bit of a misnomer? Doesn’t the word crew already imply that there will be a group of people? Are the ships going to be run by multiple groups of people? If that the case, that’s amazing. Sorry, haven’t been able to watch the video, yet.

• Matt_Ceb says:

Nah. Even single-seat aircraft these days get designated as “Crew size: 1”. So multi-crewed isn’t a particularly weird turn of phrase.

28. racccoon says:

Even though I praised this game for its early ability to play, I uninstalled after set amount of time and its been un installed since, due the longest ever jump repeat wash recycel ever to get anywhere.
    Its far to mundane and boring to go.
    To ask for more money is just what I thought they’d do as they are all as greedy as each other, you can just look at his miserable face in that still on the tubevideo.
    Shows just how he makes his founders/customers feel.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

My main problem is that the stars are too scary. I wish I had the option to come out of hyperspace and not end up travelling at high speed towards a terrifying ball of fire – at least not that close so it – or to have the option to come out of hyperspace facing away from it.

29. JamesTheNumberless says:

I still think it’s a shame how the ships in Elite:Dangerous all have that kind of rough-and-ready, military feel to them, whereas in Frontier you had everything from the space equivalent of a Golf, to the space equivalent of a luxury mega-yacht.

• BadCatWillum says:

That’s pretty much how I would compare a Sidewinder to an Imperial Clipper, in Elite:Dangerous. Don’t you think?

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Yes but I’m talking about the look of the interior more than anything else. In First Encounters, when they had backdrops per class of ship, and in true classic sci-fi style – the more sophisticated the thing was the further removed its form was from its function and the less you saw of anything that resembled machinery. Don’t get me wrong, I like the retro-future look as much as anyone – my favourite space aesthetic is Alien, with (original) Star Wars a close second. But I really dug the way the interior of the Panther Clipper in First Encounters looked like you were in a swanky captains cabin that more closely resembled a 5-star hotel suite than the cockpit of something from Wing Commander. Meanwhile the low-class ships had visible pipes and cables everywhere…. I’m finding it impossible to find screenshots of this!

30. FieldyGB says:

wow, I’m rather amazed at all the hate for this game.. I personally really enjoy it. Sure there is more to be done and the good news is Frontier are busy developing more..

• Zenicetus says:

There is a difference between hate and disappointment.

Elite:D hasn’t matched the hopes and expectations of some players, especially on the singleplayer side of the game. That’s not hate, it’s just wishing it could have been better. It’s why some of us have stopped playing it, while we see if it ever moves in a direction that’s more compelling.

I’ll jump right back into the cockpit if they give me a reason to do it. So far, and especially with all this multiplayer guff, I haven’t seen a reason to invest that much of my gaming life back into it.

• Minglefingler says:

I’m exactly the same. I won’t say that I haven’t had my money’s worth from the game but my overall feeling about it is one of disappointment and I think that Frontier’s priorities are such that it’ll probably never become the game I wanted. Even when they add something to the game that I think sounds good (like Powerplay) the implementation tends to be so shoddy that I can’t bring myself to get involved. I can’t speak about CQC as my level of apathy towards the game combined with my lack of interest in arena pvp battles mean I haven’t tried it yet.

31. slavasesh says:

To be honest, even in its current state, E:D is my dream game. I say without hesitation that it is the most engrossing title I have ever played, and that I see myself losing a lot of time to it.

That said, I like things in my games that not everyone does, and E:D offers many of them, such as;

Travel time and a real feeling of scale – I’m a fan of things like EuroTrucker, so the travel times are actually something I enjoy, something that helps convey the massive scale of the milky way.

Open world with a steep learning curve & open-ended gameplay – I love open world games, especially ones that do not hold my hand or feed me missions. I want to make my own way, the plots and mission progressions offered by some previous space-sims were the elements I liked least in them.

Commitment by Developers – these devs aren’t just moving on to other projects and ditching E:D to age and rot, they’re constantly refining the game and adding to the galaxy, and have stated that they intend to continue to do so.

Atmosphere – The game does “Space sim” in a way that had me slack-jawed in awe, for the first few hours of gameplay. I’ve never felt anywhere near this level of immersion in a space sim, and I really can’t describe why, it’s just… well, atmosphere.

Support of peripherals – E:D plays well with mouse+keys (or even an Xbox controller), but a HOTAS is the best way to play. Support of those control inputs is typical for any game, but E:D also supports VR, and works well with voice control. There are even command packs designed specifically for use with this title, which will respond to your spoken commands as the AI of your ship.

This is a lot of text, I know . . . but I could say much, much more. To the number of disappointed and/or pessimistic people that have posted here: I don’t really understand your complaints. Maybe this game’s just not for you, and that’s fine, I don’t care – but that doesn’t mean you have to insist that others agree with you. We all have our own tastes ~<3

32. DoubleG01 says:

Personally, I am still enjoying Elite: Dangerous. I understand that a lot of people do not like the endless flying through empty space. But, when you think about it, how many planets did they model in game? I feel like it was 8 million something. Anyways, I don’t mind the game feeling empty considering that is what I would expect space to be like. So, for me, it is more of an immersion factor. Then when I run into somebody it feels like a rare occasion which I think also would seem real in the vastness of space.

Although I currently enjoy E:D very much, and am excited for planetary landings, I do have a couple of wishlist items that I feel would be really neat in Elite: Dangerous, although I honestly don’t really think I’d ever see them implemented (at least any time in the near future). 1). Flying around space cities. I will always hope that E:D would create cities on the surface of some planets, at least maybe the “capital” planets or something, that were extremely detailed and you could fly around in to different shops, hangars, etc. Also I think it would be enjoyable to have high-speed chases through clustered space cities and tight areas filled with building complexes, etc. 2). A sort of out-of-ship experience where you could maybe purchase a personal hangar/home in one of these populated cities. Would be an interesting way to spend the millions upon millions that you seem to be able to make in E:D right now (if you have the time). 3). Walking around your ship / the exterior of the ship to repair things. I feel like this would be kind of interesting, and would definitely add another dynamic to the multicrew stuff that is planned. Also maybe require disabling and boarding of larger cargo vessels in order to “transfer” cargo instead of just destroying a hatch and having it jettison into space. (This could also create a setup for more non-ship combat, e.g. defending your cargo hold against enemy boarding parties. Maybe add some cool weapons. Of course this is probably a bit out of the basic scope of E:D but it can’t hurt to dream, right? ;D) 4). A singleplayer/multiplayer (proper) story with specific missions. (Not like the missions are now, where they are all basically like “Go here, kill this person/deliver this cargo/steal this cargo” but more on the side of a specific, one-off purpose. Think someone gets kidnapped and you have to rescue them from an enemy spaceport). I don’t know, something to break up the seemingly identical jobs/”missions” that we have now. I think many people would appreciate this.

Of course, like I said before, this is just my personal wishlist, and I don’t ever expect or even really hope for these kind of things in game, as I doubt they would be able to do so without a ton of effort and another probably steeply priced DLC (or two, or three). Just thought I would chime in with stuff I thought would have been cool to see in E:D to make things a bit less “dull.”

Overall, I still enjoy flying around in space convoys with my friends, finding the unsuspecting Type 9 and stealing its stuff, and racing around the spaceports like crazy. Sure, E:D may be lacking a lot, but I think it still has a lot to offer for players who are more into this type of game. I know I am still eagerly awaiting Horizons, and can’t wait for the planetary landings, even if it means landing on planets that all look entirely the same.

Cheers everyone!

Regards,

DoubleG01

33. TruthSyrum says:

Elite Dangerous is getting a bad rap on this one. It is a very ambitious title to say the least. Some of witch still needs to be implemented / developed. However there is a beautiful bone structure there and despite the crap I am reading on this site there Is a lot to do and see. And the bigger picture is starting to be revealed as far as what this game is going to grow into. I can not disagree more with some of the blatant ignorant Bull sheet I am reading however. This is a fantastic title with massive potential. So chill out!

• CMDR max2go says:

I had E:D for quite a while and stop and come back to it (for a bit) whenever I read that some more content has been added.

So, I agree and disagree to what was said here – thing is, this is a re-creation of (and some more than) the original Elite. E:D wasn’t “rushed out”, even though it feels like it. It was meant to be the way it is now – even David Braben said that they take it slow and implements bits and pieces, rather than rushing things and creating a huge mess (despite that, E:D had a lot of bugs when it came out and still has quite a few, but at least not to the most part game- / mission-breaking). But it’s also meant to go a lot further – in other words, yes, it’s to nowadays’ standards “bare-bones”. But again, that’s how it’s supposed to be and it will only get more and more content. Will it get better to the point that every one on here will be satisfied with what it will then have to offer? I guess we’ll find out. It will for sure take a long time, but it has a strong foundation, or at least part of it that is the space flight and fight, the next major part they have to get done is the visualization of players and their customization… if that goes very well, then that is still only a second foundation, but one they can use to add a lot more content – walking around and interacting with other players / NPCs (for those who prefer solo play) and then they can add really exciting missions – for solo or multi-player. After the whole riding and running around on planet surfaces, they’ll (probably) work on walking in space stations. Both planet side and in space stations could open whole new content, such as running your own store or renting a hangar, sneaking into other players or NPC’s ships and stealing stuff (maybe hacking their computer for credits?) or even the ship itself, …
      Again, E:D as of now is just a foundation, so will be the character generation and customization and planetary (and later station) interaction will be, initially – from there, these “foundation” will be developed into more fulfilling things.