Rollercoaster Tycoon World Is On Its Third Developer, But Finally Has A Release Date

ghost train?

The current inhabitants of the Atari skinsuit have finally stuck a release date on their latest attempt to revive beloved management sim/construction toyRollercoaster Tycoon. Series creator Chris Sawyer is sadly not involved in Rollercoaster Tycoon World [official site], which is the fourth game in the main series, and rather worryingly the project has been through three different developers since its announcement last year.

Obviously all the fingers I’ve got are crossed that it meets the series’ previous high standards, but its apparently messy gestation, the… unevenness of latter-day Atari projects and the kick in the teeth that was last year’s freemium mobile version keep many of us from blind faith in this particular ride. But at least we’ll find out whether it’s Magic Mountain or Bedrock City in December.

Rollercoaster Tycoon world apparently moved to Unity 5 during development, following grumbles that it wasn’t looking pretty enough prior to that. Has it worked? You watch the latest trailer and tell me, bud:

Release date, originally billed as the start of this year, is now December 10, and pre-orders (also via Steam) are available for people who have enough money to speculatively throw it at unknown quantities. There’s to be a Standard Version for $49.99 and Deluxe Edition for $59.99. The latter adds “two unique building maps, terrain additions, a digital art book, and the classic Panda mascot.” Classic panda, man. Classic panda.

Development for RTW’s final mile has been handled by Nvizzio Creations, a Montreal studio set up by Funcom veterans. Pipeworks Software and Area 52 Games were previously at the wheel. Oh, but rollercoasters don’t have wheels, I guess.

1. Metalfish says:

After reading that title I wanted to hate on these devs for besmirching the good name/my childhood nostalgia of RCT, but that vid looks kinda promising. Where am I going to direct this pointless rage now?

2. BTAxis says:

So many lovely buzzwords!

3. brucethemoose says:

If this is a flop, we have other games to fall back on! There’s OpenRCT2 if you just want RCT2 with multiplayer + a few other additions, and Parkitect if you want RCT2 in a modern engine + more track flexibility.

I have a feeling this game will be RCT3 all over again. Which isn’t terrible… But RCT3 just didn’t have that spark the first 2 games had, IMHO.

• socrate says:

i hope not to me RCT3 wasn’t that great i never really enjoyed it…although the ride look really good now but too much talking not enough gameplay to really be sure i really hate these talky thing where dev say basically they know what their doing and rub the franchise…it offer really no knowledge of the game itself…on the other hand i think the peep look really dull and silly and low quality…if their ai is that good then id accept that…but il try that before buying it for sure i just don’t think RCT3 was good at all although you could do some really elaborate stuff in that game it just didn’t feel like a game but more like a cheap world builder tool for RCT and the option in that game could put to shame some of the worst one ive seen recently

Parkitect for me like any kickstarter project just doesn’t look professional and doesn’t offer anything new or interesting at all it doesn’t look all that great either graphically,i also don’t see much point in recreating what as already been done and is still totally playable and fun today…copy and pasting old game to make money on the back of old retard with rose tinted glasses on seem to be extremely lucrative these days but offer no improvement in gaming whatsoever,in fact most of these “homage” have all been worst then the original so far.

They on the other hand offer us a tool that lets hope allow us to create new ride and such for an unlimited amount of content which seems like a step forward and if the AI is that great then good AI in an age were AI is as dumb as it can get then thats also a plus.

So hope this one is good

• Aquifel says:

OpenRCT2, how have i not heard of this? I’ve been trying to play the steam version and, its… not so great on a modern PC. I know what im doing tonight.

4. thanosi says:

I hope it hasn’t gone off the rails

5. NephilimNexus says:

So long as I can ruin my rival’s reputation by flinging passengers into their park thru excessive G forces… I’ll be happy.

6. canis39 says:

I would love to have a conversation with anyone crazy enough to preorder this game.

Parkitect looks VERY promising, played some last week.

7. ulix says:

From reading a few previews of peeps who’ve played it I’m skeptical but hopeful. Apparently they could use another half-year to actually finish the game, but what’s there seems to work.

And the game has Steam Workshop integration similar to Cities Skylines, so that at least gives me hope that fans will fix it if it’s broken.

• ulix says:

What’s weird is how ingame performance looks pretty shitty and choppy even in this official promo thing… hmmm…

8. Didero says:

Those ‘peeps’ look a bit… off. They’re a bit tiny, I think, and they walk weird, as if they can only rotate in 45 degree increments. Look at about 2:40 in that video, peeps start moving diagonally. It’s weird.
    And yeah, like Ulix said, some rollercoasters look really choppy, which I would imagine is the first thing you want to get right.
    Besides all the previously-mentioned (probably better) themepark games, I wonder how this’ll stack up against Planet Coaster from Frontier. They made RCT 3, right?

RaveTurned says:

I was hoping the movement issues were down to it being a dev build, but if they’re releasing in a couple of months then yeah, maybe those should be smoother by now.

Frontier did do RCT3. Planet Coaster isn’t due to be out until late next year though, so this’ll have the familiar name and some time without much competition. I may still wait to see how PC is shaping up – or go back to RCT3, since it’s still great.

• ulix says:

I love RCT3, I just can’t play it anymore for its crappy interface. Controlling where something goes, especially if heights are involved, is a nightmare. And of course you had to change everything manually in every food-stand, which annoyed me to no end.

• M3GA says:

I agree with the peeps moving about. They seem all clumped together and are they walking through each other? Didn’t the girl from 6 flags say the had an “attention to detail”? What happened with the peeps? peeps need to eat, yo!

9. shrieki says:

looks pretty bad imo. the colors are horrible, peeps look boring and stiff and the whole visual design just looks uninspired.
    even the people that are designing this game look like they dont even know what the word Fun means.
    i´m really not at all convinced that what i just saw will be anything close to the pure awesomeness of rct 3. one of my favorite games ever.
    this just looks very ugly and boring.

10. Martel says:

I just want a decent, modern RCT game that will work with a VR headset so I can ride my creations (and others). Hopefully this will fit the bill, doesn’t have to be perfect.

11. peterako1989 says:

oh god, its gonna suck, aint it.

12. palingo4423 says:

Kudos to Atari for not giving up after the initial attempt to revive RCT. If you really want RCT2, and Chris Sawyer, just play RCT2. Parkitect? ROFL bitter much? Entitled to what? Laughable review.

13. wee_ag says:

Just a heads up regarding that video – the devs have said what is seen in that vid is still very much alpha and has not been optimized. Their focus up to that point being to get the core mechanics working well and optimization coming later. Problem is, I still haven’t seen anything newer showing said optimizations…

If you are wanting something similar to RCTW I suggest taking a look at Planet Coaster as well – from the original developers of Roller Coaster Tycoon. link to planetcoaster.com

Check out their latest Dev Diary regarding the experience of park customers.