The Beginner’s Guide To The Beginner’s Guide – The New Game From Stanley Parable Creator

I can’t imagine a more daunting development task than having to follow up on The Stanley Parable. The truly stunning meta-game was a deserved phenomenon, catapulting developers Davey Wreden and William Pugh into the heights of indie fame. A game that pulled at the threads of gaming, seeing how they’d unravel, makes for a very tough act to follow. But that’s what Stanley creator Wreden is aiming to do with his solo project, The Beginner’s Guide [official site].

Described as “a narrative video game”, pretty much no other details are being announced ahead of its release on Thursday (1st Oct). But there are some screenshots to be confused by in the meantime.

I don’t envy anyone following a significant gaming flagpole like Stanley. I’d fear knowing that every single review will obviously compare it to Stanley. Frankly, I’m surprised Wreden has been able to follow up so quickly, rather than be paralysed by the thought of it all.

Look, truth be told, I’ve got a copy of the game running as I write this, but we’ve agreed not to say anything until the game is out. So make what you will of these screenshots:

1. GHudston says:

I don’t know what to expect from this but, after The Stanley Parable, it’s already earned my money sight unseen.

2. Trillby says:

John!! I promise I’ll be quiet as a churchmouse. Please send me a copy too <3 ?

3. TechnicalBen says:

Perhaps “The beginners guide to making a game”?

With references such as “step one, provide some interactivity”, where by it asks you to press a button to progress, and does not if you do, but does if you do not. ;)

4. cpt_freakout says:

Perfect.

5. DevilishEggs says:

Actually more excited for this than The Witness! Speaking of auteur-produced games. Stanley Parable was most I’ve laughed at a game since monkey island 1-3 as a youngster. I hope it was enough of a commercial success to fund these two for many years.

• Ginsoakedboy21 says:

The one thing you can be certain about is that The Witness will have no laughs. If you laugh in its presence, Jonathan Blow will purse his lips, and give you a look.

• Jac says:

I think that’s just him trying to be flirtatious.

I am also a bit disappointed that rps can’t give any impressions of this despite having a copy. I’d be pretty suspicious if this was said about any other game before it was released and as such my suspiciousness levels could be described as pretty.

• sub-program 32 says:

Normally that would be the case. However, if this game is anything half as interesting as TSP, then talking about almost any of it would spoil it, even in impressions. On my own opinion, I now am highly looking forward to thursday, or at least friday.

• DevilishEggs says:

It seems like a pretty standard embargo arrangement for review code.

Plus, John is so opinionated, any kind of preview would veer immediately into invective, anyway.

jk

John Walker says:

Nothing suspicious at all. It’s the norm when any press outlet is given access to a game before release that they agree not to publish reviews before a fixed time (so long as that time isn’t after release, of course).

It just felt a bit silly and dishonest to be writing about this as if I didn’t already know what the game was about, without saying something.

• melnificent says:

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5 has some bizarre review embargo it came out in the US on Tuesday, but reviews can’t go live until Friday.

Hopefully this isn’t going to become the new normal.

6. caff says:

It has a tough act to follow. I’m hopeful though.

7. alms says:

I assume there must a point where he can’t go any more meta and wonder what will happen then.

8. Rufust Firefly says:

Is it too much to hope for another Raphael-inspired trailer for this one?

I had no idea this was coming out so soon–I loved The Stanley Parable, can’t wait.

9. Wowbagger says:

Sounds bonkers, can’t wait.

10. Wowbagger says:

Also, I’m surprised he managed to keep it under wraps until now.

11. melnificent says:

Stanley Parables had me and my brother taking turns (a playthrough each), laughing at the narrator and generally having fun. The broom closet stuff is still enough to set him off. The last time that happened was back when GTA1 was released on PC we’re now in our 30’s.

For that I’m willing to buy sight unseen, which is something I’ve not done in a long time.