Mushroom 11 Sprouts On October 15th

Designer Itay Keren set out to create a game where the character you control never actually moves. The result is Mushroom 11 [official site], a puzzle-platformer about steering a mass of cells through a level by destroying those on one side to cause them to re-grow on the other. The game is now finally being released next month on October 15th – which, it turns out, is National Mushroom Day. Watch the launch trailer below.

Describing how Mushroom 11 works makes it sound more complicated than it actually is. In essence, you destroy to grow and grow to move. The trailer below does a good job of telling by showing, not only giving you plenty of glimpses of how you control your green glob, but the sorts of puzzles you can solve with it: growing your form around pegs in order to grip them to climb; using your self to fill holes to help rolling boulders cross them; or splitting yourself in two in order to press switches and squeeze through doors.

It looks smart and lovely, as it has every time we’ve since it over the past few years. The idea began as an entry to a game jam before picking up support from the Indie Fund in 2012.

We first wrote about the game when it was shown as part of 2013’s Experimental Gameplay Workshop at GDC, alongside The Castle Doctrine, Miegakure, Versu and Starseed Pilgrim. Good company! I’m looking forward to playing the release version, especially after reading Alec’s glowing preview from last year. Here’s the trailer:

1. rabbit says:

will definitely pick it up at some point. video reminds me of gish which can only be a good thing.

2. pepperfez says:

The gaming world can always use more fungoid protagonists.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

So it’s the Photoshop eraser tool turned into a game?

4. Fade2Gray says:

Designer sets out to create a game where your character never moves. Designer produces a game focused on rapidly moving a green blob through unconventional means.

Phasma Felis says:

Setting out to create a game around a specific, abstract constraint often produces highly unexpected results. It’s why themed game jams are so popular–the theme itself isn’t actually important, just the way that it helps you break out of familiar ruts and create something unique.

So it seems kinda petty to get snarky because Keren’s inspiration evolved beyond the original concept.

5. caff says:

I’m not sure there’s mushroom in my Steam library for this, but I eagerly await reviews.

Waltorious says:

I consider the use of The Future Sound of London as the trailer music to be a good sign.

7. PixelsAtDawn says:

I played this at EGX. It’s hard to describe how compelling it is, and there’s some pretty clever puzzles considering all you’re really doing is shoving sentient Play-Doh around.

I had a chat to the devs too, they were very friendly, which is usually a good sign!

particlese says:

Yay! This one had just slipped off my radar, too.

Looks like the sort of game that’ll have my brain trying to incorporate it into the real world as it tries to wrap itself around what it just did for the past hour. Basically the Tetris effect, but short-term and more novelty- than obsession-driven, which I love in a game. Super Hot is the most recent example of this I can remember the name of, but there was another one more recently which led to me reading a couple RPS articles by dodging the words and “travelling” along the margins.