Democracy 3 Update Improves UI, Adds New Events

For a game about the inner workings of government, Democracy 3 [official site] is surprisingly violent. I don’t think I’ve played a game of it – whether I built a land of hugs ‘n’ kisses or a brutal police state – which didn’t end up with me being violently turfed out of office by explosions in Westminster. Maybe the new Democracy 3 update will help: it doesn’t reduce the number of security threats, but it does make it easier to track how ready you are to deal with them.

Now when you look at your intelligence briefing and notice that your ‘security effectiveness’ rating is low, you can see the policies which are contributing to that and hopefully do something to change it. This is one of many small tweaks to the game’s UI that this update brings, along with a finance screen that more clearly shows how effectively your money is being collected and spent, and 12 new achievements.

There’s also a set of new events, which are political dilemmas you’ll have to deal with during your term in power. The post about the update on the Positech site outlines the changes in the update, but it leaves these new events a mystery except for four small pictures. None of the pictures feature a dead pig’s head.

Democracy 3 came out two year ago and its last update was one year ago, but if you’re wondering wot I thought, you can read my Wot I Think. (Spoilers: I like it.)

Developer Cliff Harris runs through all of the game’s changes in the video below:

Top comments

1. LionsPhil says:

>Open website
    >Ctrl-F, "demo"
    >Ooh results!
    >...wait a second.
  1. Cinek says:

The game about UI improves UI.

2. LionsPhil says:

>Open website
    >Ctrl-F, “demo”
    >Ooh results!
    >…wait a second.

3. Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

I really liked this game at first. What pissed me off was when i tried to make a liberal, capitalist, total police state, no matter how many security policies i put in our how much security i got, I still got assasinated. I tried replaying my save over and over again with tougher and tougher security, but the game seems to ignore that, and automatically make you die if someone hates you enough.

This was after i made a propsperous social utopia, which was decent fun for a while but a bit too easy in the longer term. So i was trying to play around with it, but that became impossible due to the forced assasinations.

• Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

Is my icon a G for anyone else? Why is it a G?

• HopeHubris says:

The assassinations are ridiculous, I ended up turning it off

Harlander says:

when i tried to make a liberal, capitalist, total police state

Say what?

• frogulox says:

In australia for instance, the liberal party are the total bastard capitalists.

Makes no sense, and ive never looked into how the naming of the party as such occured.

• Grinless says:

“Liberal” Definition : favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform.

Pretty much textbook-capitalism.

And yes, current days politicians have diluted the term beyond any reasonable meanings.

Harlander says:

It’s really the combination of liberal and total police state I was puzzled by, yes.

• Arathorn says:

That’s an extremely limited definition of the concept of liberalism. Labour parties around the world are as much descendants of the classical liberals as ultra-capitalists are. Which is why “liberal” means socialist in some places (like the US) and “capitalist” in others (like Europe). Neither meaning is very useful and it’s better to avoid using the term liberal altogether unless you add a personal definition in the same sentence.

• Shadow says:

In essence, liberal and conservative mean pro-change and anti-change, respectively, and what that means depends on the country’s status quo and tradition, which obviously varies from one to another.

In Europe there’s a tradition of state welfare, so conservatives would defend that. In the US, conservatives would defend more or less the opposite: a non-intrusive government and low taxes so that individuals can afford whatever service they want on their own. In consequence, as it was said earlier, liberals similarly have completely different purposes depending on the side of the Atlantic.

• xyzzy frobozz says:

The Liberal Party in Australia takes their name from classical liberalism as opposed to social liberalism.

It all comes from the French revolution and the concepts of “Liberty” (classical liberalism) and “Equality” (social liberalism).

Essentially classical liberalism holds that people should be “free”, and this means that the government should generally stay out of their business (pun intended).

Social liberalism holds that all people are equal, and that the government should take measures to ensure that all people have equal opportunity. Therefore the government will be more involved in things such as health, industrial relations, poverty reduction and education.

Make what you will of all of that!

• gunny1993 says:

Fairly sure that’s the exact description of the internet

4. dysomniak says:

Let me know when there’s an update that fixes Cliff’s personality.

5. Captain Joyless says:

“None of the pictures feature a dead pig’s head.”

I chortled.

6. NephilimNexus says:

I project that a well-placed endorsement by Kevin Spacey using a fake southern accent would increase sales by 15,000%

7. xyzzy frobozz says:

Felt like I’d seen all of the content in one play-through.

Particularly when the same ten or so events kept firing, year after year after year.