Have You Played… Rogue Trooper?

Alec recently revisted Rogue Trooper to take pretty screenshots of Rebellion’s cover shooter, so I’ll try not to tread similiar ground. It’s a third-person shooter based on a 2000 AD recurring story about a genetically-engineered blue supersoldier fighting with the help of his dead pals’ personalities living in his helmet, rifle, and rucksack. It’s pretty fun! What I’ll instead focus on is how I like it makes me create my own ammo, giving me freedom to use the weapons I want.

Rogue Trooper runs on ‘salvage’, scrap found in handy piles across the battlefield and snatched from dead enemies. Your dead blue bestie in your backpack can handily turn this into new items (nanoforges or something idk), including weapon upgrades and ammo. This is great. If I want to use the sniper rifle and splitbomb mortar while laying loads of micromine traps – which I obviously do – then I can. I’m not flooded with ammo for guns I don’t care about. I can tackle the battlefield the way I want to. There’s something to be said for certain weapons being rare and special in games, but sometimes it’s nice to do exactly what I want as I casually murder hundreds of people.

It’s far from the only game to do this, mind, and some do it silently too. Dead Space, modern Resident Evil games, and many others that slip my mind right now will mostly drop ammo for weapons you’re holding, which does give a similar effect but doesn’t feel like a conscious tactical decision. I like that I chose to snipe and explode everyone (those I didn’t sneak up on and knife, anyway). Rogue Trooper’s fun enough comic book shootybangs, and they’re your sort of shootybangs.

gritz says:

Not horror :(

2. Kefren says:

Tried it recently, couldn’t get into it, soon gave up. Prefer the C64 version.
    Nice blues, though.

3. RuySan says:

Never played this, but the spectrum version of Rogue Trooper was the first game i’ve ever completed. Never forgot that moment.

G-Lord says:

Went into that one not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. Good recommendation, as too many people have missed it.

5. ZIGS says:

Now do Rogue Warrior (yes, I know they’re completely unrelated)

6. skink74 says:

I got it for a couple of quid in a GoG sale a couple of years ago. Vaguely recalling middling reviews at the time it came out, I wasn’t expecting much, but RT was one of my favourite 2000AD strips as a kid and I think they captured it pretty well. The art is spot on, the biochipped equipment works pretty well, and there’s some flexibility in how to get through the levels.

Downsides were some pretty annoying boss fights, and it feeling a bit short. But for a couple of quid, pretty awesome.

• jezcentral says:

Absolutely. The design was great, and it was more ambitious than a lot of games at the time.

I wish Rebellion would do more with their 2000AD license.

• kalirion says:

Annoying boss fights? One thing I remember about this game is that it had no boss fights! As in no :single big enemy bullet sponge” types that you needed to defeat. All the important “bosses” were dealt with in cutscenes.

• skink74 says:

Maybe “boss fights” was the wrong phrase – as you say no single giant enemies. But I distinctly remember some bits where there were a number of much more powerful enemies, like tanks or hoppers, that could wipe you out really easily if you made a tiny mistake.

7. bill says:

This was a surprisingly good game which went mostly un-noticed due to releasing at the end of a console generation when all the press hype was on the new consoles incoming.

It was just a really nice solid 3rd person shooter. I’m not sure it did anything spectacularly original, and I’m sure it has been superceeded by many later 3rd person shooters, but it was still pretty good.

Rebellion are idiots for not doing more with their 2000AD license. All they seem to be using it for is crappy mobile games.
    New Dredd and Rogue Trooper games are so obvious, and there are a load of other properties that could make great games… they could start by releasing a 2000AD starter comics bundle on humblebundle.

Then again, I’ve been saying this on every rebellion/2000AD related post for 6 years now, and they have done sod all.
    They could at least hand out some of the minor properties to random indie devs in the hope of raising their profile.