Street Fighter V: Laura Gets Leaked, Zangief Gets Trailer

It appears Laura – a Brazlian jiu-jitsu-fighting, lightning wielding, half-finished braided hair-sporting brawler – is to be the next brand new addition to the Street Fighter V [official site] roster of characters. Although Japanese publication Famitsu posted and then pulled several images of Laura stepping-to with Ryu on Friday, NeoGaffers were quick to capture the action shots and thus allow me to deliver them to you right now. Oh, and Zangief’s in and has a new trailer. Happy weekend.

At the moment, nothing else has been announced with regards to the elusive Laura, so please do have a gander at these marvelous screens of Ryu taking a pounding:

And Zangief is back! The brutish body-slamming barbarian is back in red Speedo-sporting spectacle, as revealed at the Russian gaming expo IgroMir. “My iron body is invincible,” he cries in the trailer below. “SO BEWARE!”:

Beware indeed. Recently, beards like Zangief’s were a bit ala mode. They were fashionable and cool and everyone who’d never had one before grew one and everyone who already had one (ahem, Graham) got a bit pissed off. [I didn’t notice. –Beard Ed] I was one of those facial hair wannabe hipster opportunists. I cut my hair like Zangief. I looked like this:

But, regardless of the resemblance, I couldn’t power bomb to save myself. Nor could I perform the Russian’s new skills: V-Skill: Iron Muscle and V-Trigger: Cyclone Lariat. Iron Muscle lets the big man absorb an attack before grabbing opponents once close by, in something which looks similar to Street Fighter IV’s focus attack function. Cyclone Lariat allows ‘Gief to spin his entire body which pulls his foes towards him. As he spins faster, he lands multiple hits. Zangief Wins.

Street Fighter V is due in 2016.

1. Tasloi says:

Good character design on Laura. Nice hairstyle.

2. Monggerel says:

This reminds me of when I was young & a girl & everybody would comment on my tits.

Oh wait, actually I was a boy all along. But the rest of the comment is still true.
    Shit.

On a more salient point: we need way more chubby playable characters. Like, Max Payne is as close as we, as an industry, a community, a religion, an elemental force, and a supernatural principle, have ever gotten to a man with a muffintop. That’s like not washing your teeth. What a fucking disgrace.

• Jediben says:

Max Payne is everything I aspire to be in life. I have put holes in more pairs of jeans than he’s had whiskeys.

• Jediben says:

From the diving I mean. I’m not just buying denim and attacking the knees with scissors for the hell of it.

• Deadly Habit says:

hey now most of us are half drunk losers with shit haircuts who can jump over a bar ;)

• DeepSleeper says:

I’d like you to open a tab and google “Street Fighter IV Rufus”.

• pepperfez says:

Rufus is grotesque, though.

• Monggerel says:

Rufus is a joke, and a crude one at that. The game treats him like shit, too, because it is hilarious to poke fat people (it really is, try it sometime).

I was thinking more along the lines of someone who, while clearly overweight, is nevertheless a capable serious fighter, or, moving away from SF, just in general a character that is not cheapo comic relief. Someone along the lines of Sammo Hung. (check youtube for clips, he’s fucking fantastic)
          Or Hamlet, for that matter.

• gwathdring says:

Hollywood manages it occasionally, but games tend to lag a ways behind film with these sorts of things so sadly I wouldn’t hold my breath. :(

It’s a shame more diverse body types can’t show up without being a joke or the whole “point” of the character.

• Jackablade says:

Does E. Honda not count?

• gwathdring says:

Honda works just fine, I think, but I didn’t play the character more than once or twice to to be honest I barely remember. But Honda is not the industry-wide norm.

• rook says:

say what you like about rufus, and it is a shame that they take the cheap shots at his weight, he seems to be just about the only character in any flavor of sf4 that has a rather happy life. he’s following his dreams, he’s got decent relationships, he has pretty solid self-esteem. p. much every other character has some degree of tragedy or turmoil, rufus is all about following his bliss.

• DeepSleeper says:

Here I was thinking that Rufus was just awesome. Apparently I’m wrong and he’s a sick sad joke.
            Oh well.

• grom.5 says:

If you want a chubby character that is not too much a comic relief, you can check Bob from Tekken 6.
            A guy who went from slim to “more weighty” in order to have more power and is seen as someone powerful.
            (Which is pretty accurate as, you can be strong, but if you don’t have enough weight, your punch won’t be as effective.)

• vash47 says:

Please no, we have enough fat people on the streets. I don’t want to see them in games, too.

• Jekadu says:

…Okay.

I want to see more body types in games. Give us more downright fat people. You have no idea how delighted I was when I discovered that “body type 4” in The Old Republic meant “actually chubby-looking”.

• gwathdring says:

Whereas I want to see characters in games looking AT LEAST as varied and interesting as the people I see walking around on the street. Surely in fiction we can get at least as imaginative about visual diversity as the real world does. It’s boring to see everyone with the same silhouettes and musculature.

corinoco says:

Maybe you need to move to one of those cities where they only allow people who fit the body image the ruling junta approves as “beautiful”. If you are repulsed or offended by the people you see around you; if your lithe, Adonic, Olympian form is sullied by contact with mortals then perhaps you really need to see a doctor,

3. OmNomNom says:

Awesome! This looks totally tits to me.

• LionsPhil says:

Would it be fair you say you consider this the breast news you’ve heard about the game’s lineup so far?

• wyrm4701 says:

Great news, I just don’t know how I’m going to find the time to juggle all these fighting games.

4. Chaoslord AJ says:

I think the character works in the setting, she could even be more maasive as a contrast to the rest of the female cast.
    The thing with male characters is male “beauty” as in Ryu, Ronaldo, Beckham etc. isn’t actually the same as female “beauty”. Using the word in its populist meaning not referring to personal tastes. That’s why they can easily sell the brutish thugish guy. Him being not a beau doesn’t mean being un-attractive for girls to like or as an identification figure for male players.

Also players aged 20+ will probably not buy the game for the cleavage. We’re talking about male audience in the 14-16 range.

• LexW1 says:

So just because you’re playing some chiseled, muscle-y, iron-jawed dude, who you think is super-handsome, doesn’t mean he’s automagically fan-service for the straight ladies. “Brutish, thuggish” is a good example of one who is likely to draw male admirers rather than female. You’re wrong to assert that someone who actually fits the “brutish thug” mould (appearance-wise) like Marcus Fenix, sells well to straight women – generally speaking he doesn’t. That sort of look is pretty much laser-guided towards straight American males aged 16-30 (it’s not even as appealing to Europeans, let alone the rest of the world).

That said, I know quite a few female gamers, and there definitely are male characters who are like “Phwoar!”. A good example is Edward Kenway from ACIV, who I have heard a number of appreciative comments about. He’s pretty far from a “brutish thug”, though. If you want male characters likely to play well with straight male and female audiences, you probably want to stay well clear of blocky body-builder types (and many of these guys in games make rugby players look like wimps) and go more for good-looking-but-tough guys with athletic bodies.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I’m quite positive however you underrate the thuggish guy and overrate the “modern”, “metrosexual” guy. And what is actually communicated is another thing altogether.
        Just checked E.Kenway – he seems far from the worst.
        It’s mirroring the same congnitive dissonance when comparing poster females displayed in media and our actual tastes.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Exactly. TLDR: Both men and women in games are primarily serving the ‘male gaze’ everyone’s talking about. Doesn’t mean some women don’t crush on Markus Phoenix, just as not all men fancy Bayonetta.

Personally, I think that there should be more to a character than whether or not they are sexually attractive, but maybe that makes me a hippy.

Also, Edward Kenway = Heath Ledger in a Knight’s Tale

• gwathdring says:

I despises this sort of post. Attractiveness may be a complicated mess but within a given cultural sphere we can make some broad approximations; that those approximations are enforced through socialization and that said socialization has problems we should fix doesn’t magically make broad conventional attractiveness … less conventionally attractive. Individual preferences are always going to trump these patterns and some of these patterns are harmful in one way or another, but acting like conceptions of male attractiveness are primarily driven by male power fantasy rather than, well, conventions about male attractiveness that apply to both how men are perceived and how they aspire, is a bit clueless.

I’m all for diving into the nuance of attractiveness and the politics of attractiveness and the complexity layers added on by fictional attractivness and the role gender plays in all of this (I mean, Garrus isn’t a conventionally attractive human hottie, is he) … but I’m really tired of hearing this variation on that Batman comic floating around. The classic magazine cover man is–problematically or not, by brute force or not–widely accepted as attractive. Sure, not everyone goes for that type but the same applies to men gazing at women–not everyone goes for the magazine cover type and yet you’re perfectly comfortable calling that a generic male fantasy!

Look, generic is generic. We can argue back and forth about the usefulness of generic attractiveness prototypes, but you can’t dismiss male prototypes as overly generic and too keyed in to patriarchal values and not dismiss female prototypes for exactly the same reasons–either it’s valid discussing patriarchal-value-infused generic attractiveness or it isn’t.

You can recognize that sexism exists without tying yourself into rhetorical knots to prove that Nothing About Men And Women And Their Portrayals In Media Is Comparable. Indeed, you might find it hard to reconcile recognition of sexism with that sort of attitude.

• gwathdring says:

More specifically while this:

“The trouble with talking about “male beauty” and characters women find attractive is that many male characters designed to appeal to straight men, who, to straight men, appear handsome or cool or whatever, are not necessarily actually particularly attractive to straight women.”

Sound good in the abstract, you have to go the other ways too. Because cultural mores are largely led by straight men and straight men want to appeal to straight women, male visions of attractiveness due have bearing on female attractiveness prototypes. Further, the same individual variation matrix applies–just because female characters are designed to be attractive based on conventional prototypes does NOT mean they actually appear attractive to straight men.

I think what’s much more interesting is how much more often male characters are not designed to be sexual and/or attractive in the first place compared to female characters. Realistically, a man that attracts women’s attention IS part of the male power fantasy and the male gaze … but lots of characters are designed to exist explicitly outside of that space, or are designed with that being low on the priority list of the design. Whereas for many female characters, their gender (and thus their sexually charged presentation) is often one of the higher priorities of their design.

That, much more so than how “real” their attractiveness is for the target audience, is what I find interesting and worth examining.

corinoco says:

All well and good, but the ratio of male/female incidence of anorexia / bulimia are very lop sided. The simple fact is that the preponderance of rather poor body-image stereotypes combined with a corporate sector bent on producing food in the cheapest possible way means that we are wiping out a significant number of people each year.

We banned liquids on aircraft because of a possibility it could hurt people; but we let lethal societal imbalances continue because someone can make a quick buck out of it.

I guess if it doesn’t hurt you its not a problem; but when you grow up you might notice you live in a society, not a solipsist dream-world, and thus you have an obligation to help the continued existence of that society.

5. Barberetti says:

Those are some big fucking feet.

6. TheMopeSquad says:

This is obviously just Blanka using his electricity powers to create the mirage of being a hot girl with big boobs.