What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Hullo again! What’s cracking? I have next week off work – a holiday I’ve foolishly put off for far too long – so I won’t see all you lovely people for a while, but before I go, do tell me: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re up to:

Adam: This weekend I’m moving house so I’ll be playing Tetris as I try to pack all of my boxes into a van alongside an inconvenient ironing board. Then it’s a spot of The Sims as I rearrange furniture and idly dream about where I’d put the drinks cabinet if I had one. When the sun goes down, it’ll be time for a symphony of noisy pipes and creaking floorboards, leading me to investigate the dark rooms – that may well turn into a sneak preview of Allison Road, the upcoming horror game set in a Manchester suburb. If I survive the night, I’ll be heading back to my current apartment in the morning to do a Viscera Cleanup in the hopes that I get my deposit back.
Alec: 95% of people I know were born in October, I guess because people are really bloody cold and bored in January. This means it’s all birthdays and – urgh – people all weekend for me, and no games. Will my MGSV FOB have been razed to the ground by the time I return? Will I manage to play The Beginner’s Guide before it’s either spoiled for me or the first signs of backlash I’m already seeing make it impossible for me to go in with an open mind? Will I ever manage to play Undertale, the RPG in which you really can talk to the monsters? Will I be able to play any of the secret game I’m reviewing which is, adorably, codenamed ‘Amazing Thai Food?’ Will I finally manage to try Cosmic Encounter, thanks to its recent Tabletop Simulator release? No, I will make polite conversation and worry about the time. Dammit, adulthood.
Time permitting, I’ll have a go on 80 Days as well.
Alice: I’m playing The Phantom Pain, aren’t I? Of course I am. That is, assuming I don’t end up in a cabin on the shore of Loch Lomond (also, in Loch Lomond) or trying to walk the West Highland Way. I hope I end up doing one of those with my holiday time, honestly. But if not, I’ll be playing The Phantom Pain, Undertale, and probably The Beginner’s Guide. After 105 hours (!) I’m at the point where The Phantom Pain is falling apart, but I’m still having fun. It’s a shame that the end to MGS under Kojima is so sloppy, but the sneaking and choking is still fun.
Graham: I have a surprise for. I’m playing…

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain!

I am always playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain now. Even this past week, when I spent part of my time travelling across Russia in the PC release of 80 Days, I had Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain open in the background so I could flit over from time to time to manage my combat deployments and research projects. This weekend will be no different and I’m kidding myself if I say otherwise. Wish me luck; I’m going to get involved with the FOB infiltrations.

John: [What’s that, no word from John again? Well then! Answers on a postcard again: what’s John playing this weekend?

Congratulations to reader ‘Andrew’ last week for correctly guessing that John was playing “cheap synth on a street somewhere.” As he explained, John “he starts with A-Ha – ‘Take On Me’, then Modern Talking – ‘You’re My Heart, You’re My Soul’. After that, maybe, Kenny Loggins – ‘Danger Zone’. After a couple more, he lulls people with something like Bryan Adams – ‘Heaven’, and then rickrolls them! But you can give him a fiver and he gonna do any piece from 80s for you. I’m making fun of him, but I’m not denying his talents.”]

Philippa: This weekend I am at Road to Blizzcon in Prague so I will be watching Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone. If I get to play anything myself it will be Overwatch. Or I could disguise myself as a pro player and head onto the stage. I play a decent Falstad so what could possibly go wrong?

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Kitsunin says:

I’m playing Wings of Vi. I didn’t expect to be the sort who would enjoy it, but I really do, thus far (850 deaths in, and at the Katarac). Each challenge gives a satisfying emotional arc which starts at “wow, no, this looks stupid, unfair, and unfun” yet always manages to feel engaging as you chip at the extreme level of precision required, until the muscle memory is down and you’re on to the next bit.

2. airtekh says:

Mainly I’ll be playing the Rainbow Six Siege beta, which I’m having great fun with. Movement feels really good and the destruction mechanic ensures that the game feels very replayable.

Also, might get time to finish SOMA and start Dark Souls 2 as well.

3. Agnosticus says:

I’ve rediscovered Red Orchestra 2 and found its mp component the best thing that happened to WWII-themed gaming since battlefield 1942.

Also won a Legacy of the Void key (thanks RPS!), so I will be playing that too :)

• Agnosticus says:

Just FYI, online WWII-themed gaming. Singleplayer is still dominated by the Brothers in Arms series (especially Hells Highway)

• pennywyz says:

Man…Sometimes in that game I just crank up the volume, sit there and take it all in…No other game gives you that feeling of harsh, unforgiving war like Red Orchestra. The satisfaction of getting a kill is also higher than any other game I’ve played.

• Agnosticus says:

Yeah, the atmosphere is so real in this game!

Shell shock, shots flying by, suppressing fire, the fear of dying any moment, seeing masses of commrades (actual players) get mowed down by a single well-positioned MG, charging a hillside position with ~20 men hoping to be one of the few who make it through, etc.

Those are some unprecedented quality moments in a mp game!

Andy_Panthro says:

Metal Gear Solid 5 for me, since I’ve ditched trying to finish Dark Souls. I’ll probably spend a bit of time with PES2016 too.

• aleander says:

Hah. For me it’s Dark Souls, because I’ve decided to ditch finishing MGSV.

5. Lacessit says:

Shogun 2 funnily enough. I thought I was done with TW, but the Uesugi proved me wrong. Might actually be the best TW game after all. I always thought that was Rome 1, but I’m having great fun now.

6. Nathan_G says:

I’m a fair ways into else Heart.Break() and really enjoying myself. I spent the first few hours sort of drifting around, stumbling on the odd opportunity, and liked that just fine, but I’ve started the missions proper now and the pace is really picking up. I’m often convinced my solutions are sub-optimal, so I’m pretty keen to start experimenting with some more advanced techniques.

Something I really love about it are the gags hidden in the code: Stupid, unfinished programs that achieve nothing. Bureaucratic applications that purport to accept user feedback but in fact do nothing of the sort.

There’s also a lot of fun to be found in just mucking around. For instance, yesterday, I stumbled upon an arcade machine with a sort of pong/breakout game on it and decided to check it out. The top score was held by that ass Ivan, who had been rude to me the day before. So I hacked the game to double the width of the paddle, then played it, achieved a high-score that was triple Ivan’s, and then reset the paddle to be extra tiny. Fuck you Ivan.

So aside from that I’m also playing a lot of Waking Mars. I’m playing on mobile because apparently I own it there, but it’s on PC too so I guess it’s ok to mention. I’m a few years behind the times obviously, but it’s a fantastic game.

Thulsa Hex says:

MGSV, when I’m not at wedding stuffs. I’m almost finished the main plot, so I’ll maybe get there this weekend. I might delay this, though, by replaying some of the earlier missions and spending more time tip-toeing around unsuspecting folk’s FOBs.

8. Jediben says:

I’ll be playing hide the sausage with my girlfriend. Hopefully we can have a few games before the wife gets home.

• Sarfrin says:

Is that Les Dawson, posting to us from beyond the grave?

• Windows98 says:

That reminds me of the time Bernard Manning attended his own funeral.

• Jediben says:

Talking of sausages, I used to run a butcher shop. There was a young lad we hired on work experience. One day I found him with his dick in the baconslicer so I had to fire him.
          What about the bacon slicer?
          I had to let her go too!

Thank you, I’m here all week. Try the fish.

• Quinnbeast says:

If Bernard Manning ran a poultry empire, we’d have the option of buying Bernard Manning’s Turkey Bastards down the supermarket.

9. Mud says:

Fishing planet, I gave it a go last week but so far I really enjoy it.

10. DompR says:

Through a combination of being far from home (and my desktop) on an internship and the quite draconian WiFi setup at the dorm which prevents tunngle from working properly, mostly Dungeons of Dredmor. This time with a Rouge Scientist-Clockwork Knight-Crafty axman. Hopefully i can reach Dredmor before burning out on it this time.

11. lowprices says:

As well as my usual Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone, I’m going to be investigating the new content in 80Days and playing Death Ray Manta. Jesus crikey it’s good.

This weekend John has been driven feral by his crying child. He remembers what a lovely time he had playing The Forest, and has run into his local wood, choosing to spend his weekend taking an axe to the local wildlife and running in fear from strangers. He’ll return on Monday, half-naked and covered in blood, refreshed and ready to form some strong opinions about Videogames.

12. fuggles says:

The same thing I do every day pinky, try to progress dawn of war mods before a baby arrives…

13. Evil Pancakes says:

I’ve managed to get my hands on a copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 for PC after I finished number 1, so I’m trying to play through that. (let’s not dwell on where I found it.) Following that I will play number 3 on my 3DS. Still trying to figure out how I’m supposed to play number 4 though. Maybe I’ll just watch a let’s play or something.

• Geebs says:

I think the short answer is “get a PS3 and the MGS collection”

Before you devote 40 hours of your life to watching an LP of MGS4 – don’t bother. Kojima basically decided that, if he was really going to be forced to tie all of the threads of the Solid Snake story together, he was going to do it in the flattest and most unnecessarily pedantic way possible. It’s not even disappointing, it’s just a waste of time.

basilisk says:

MGS3 (and MGS2) also run reasonably well in a PS2 emulator if you’ve got a decent gaming PC. There’s also pretty good PSP emulation available if you want to play Peace Walker, which is also part of the canon.

But there is indeed no chance whatsoever of playing MGS4 on the PC right now. I’d love to see the console HD collection on our platform of choice, but alas, it doesn’t seem very likely.

14. Pan Vidla says:

I’m still trying to finish my years-long struggle with Pathologic. I’m getting close to the end of Haruspicus’ story, so I’m almost some two thirds finished, but the last third seems endlessly long. This is going take at least a month to properly finish.

15. Ejia says:

Hard Reset. It’s pretty and I get to shoot charged plasma shots at hordes of robots! I’ll probably look for more SP FPS games that have energy weapons after.

Arnvidr says:

I’ll be trying to figure out Dirt Rally. After the first hour, I still completely suck, but improvements are scratching at the surface.

• utzel says:

Try to force yourself to keep it slow and safe. Find the pace you are comfortable with and only go slightly over that. A safe finish with a car still in one piece will wash you up the board as the AI drivers will collect penalties and crash, too.
      If you started a championship and struggle with the 60’s cars, maybe try a custom race with a 4WD first. I recommend a class A car without upgrades as a starting point.

17. nofare says:

Serpent in the Staglands

• Le blaireau says:

I’ve tried 3 times to start it since its been all patched up. Maybe I just need to RTFM cos it’s pretty obtuse. Back to underrail alpha for me.

18. Alas Away says:

Star Wars: The Old Republic. It’s quite good. For an MMORPG, which I don’t really get into. It’s like KOTOR 3!

19. Andrew says:

Hi.

20. Monggerel says:

Curiously enough, fever dreams (super-duper sicky-sick here) about Metal Gear Solid V are not all that dissimlar from the actual game itself. So I guess I’ll have a few more of those.

21. trooperwally says:

Well my son may be born this weekend so there’s some uncertainty over whether I’ll be playing much of anything. I picked up EUIV plus a ton of dlc got cheaps in the sale so that’s my next project. Had a quick go yesterday and, my gosh, so many buttons! Such small font! But I knew this before I bought – it really is the malt whisky of pc games. An acquired taste, complex and satisfying for those who live it.

• moms says:

Kids.. great little expansion packs in the Game of Life, I hear.
      May he be happy,heathy and a good sport!

teije says:

Your timing is problematic. EUIV demands a solid time investment before the obtuse UI clears to outstanding grand strategy. And from experience, your free time is about to vanish.

Although I do have great memories of playing BG2 wearing my infant son in a sling, during the brief moments he was quiet.

22. moms says:

Jesuschrist, is it the weekend again?
    Well, Im still on the road (actually, on the river) to Budapest… but jesuschrist, it’s the weekend again, already?
    Fuck you, time! Fuck you, and the turbo boost car you rode in on!

God, I miss my games.

23. amateurviking says:

Hoping to get The Beginner’s Guide played and try out 80 days. Maybe some Pillars of Attorney, which has finally got it’s claws into me now that I’ve got a better handle on the systems at work. It’s rather good.

• amateurviking says:

Ooh also Alice, if you’re going to Loch Lomond, watch out for the kelpies.

• Ejia says:

“Pillars of Attorney”? Hmm, I never knew I wanted a Phoenix Wright RPG until now…

24. Napalm Sushi says:

I expect to spend it repeatedly watching last night’s appearance of No Man’s Sky on The Late Show while ceaselessly doing this: link to 37.media.tumblr.com

• SuicideKing says:

Wow, thanks, looks like they’re making progress. Still very evasive on where/how it’ll be hosted, though.

For everyone else:

25. SuicideKing says:

Well, Arma 3. Maybe some Race the Sun and Insurgency. Even Wargame if The Party is in the mood. Should probably install MGSV too, for some variety.

26. melnificent says:

Today is The Beginners guide and Hamlet, because I’m in the mood for something non-AAA.
    Tomorrow is laserforce, because I’m not allowed to paintball/airsoft.

27. floogles says:

This weekend will be dedicated to Edge, a so-far nice cube puzzler that has some echoes of English Country Tune. Very slick, minimal and beautiful, with a control scheme that was frustrating at first because of its inaccuracy, but now I realize its just waaay more sensitive than i thought, and a necessary mechanic for later puzzles.

Any remaining time will be spent in the last delicious stages of Shadowrun Returns. Really looking forward to the next games.

28. dunkreid says:

Ach Alice, I reckon it’s a bit late in the year to be walking the West Highland Way and seeing it at its best. You’ll probably be waking up in darkness and falling asleep in darkness, with the several hours of walking required each day squashed in between. Maybe leave it eight months.

I’m playing The Forest, and it is excellent, and Elite Dangerous beckons, although I’ve not touched ED’s CQC and feel a bit old and grouchy for not doing so.

29. LionsPhil says:

It’s the start of the month, so it’s time for that ever-exciting game of external hard drives and cabling to take backups.

30. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I think I’m going to purchase Undertale this weekend. I haven’t read anything against it, just very positive remarks, and since it’s a cold, wet weekend, I need something to occupy my time.

• Turkey says:

Yeah, I bought it yesterday. Not really sure what I’m in for. I’ve tried a couple of Mother games before, but I’ve always bounced off of them because of the JRPG battles.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

To be completely honest, looking at the screenshots turns me off the game. I’m not a graphics snob, I just don’t care much for aesthetics. But I hope that it wins me over.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy JRPG battle systems. I’ve seen lots of people on here not care for them – what in particular makes you not like them?

• Shazbut says:

I don’t know you at all, but I can guarantee you will like Undertale.

That is, if you don’t LOVE it.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

That’s great to hear!

• horsemedic says:

Unless you’re part of the small minority that won’t like it. The odds of that increase if you find the art threadbare instead of retro, the environments themeless instead of whimsical, the characters obnoxious instead of interesting, the battles simplistic, the encounters repetitive, the dialog boxes repetitive, the music repetitive and impossible to turn off, a skeleton the goes “nyeh heh heh” over and over and over tiresome, and/or the meta “twist” of the game not sufficient compensation for enduring hours of these problems.

31. Ufofighter says:

I ended Stasis yesterday night, starting SOMA now.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Ah! I still need to go back to Stasis. Bought it two weeks ago then moved and haven’t had a chance to play it very much.

• Shazbut says:

Did you like it? I was a bit disappointed. I was worried it was going to be all “use this weird sci-fi thing on this weird sci-fi thing” and it was!

Looked beautiful though. And was truly hideous.

• Ufofighter says:

Stasis… I liked it until the last part, too morbid for my taste.

SOMA has been a disappointment so far, dialogues and philosophy are underwhelming, even a bit embarrassing in some parts, plus the same tricks already seen in many other titles (monster means heavy breathing, “blurry” sight and loud heart beating, launch things to distract monster, etc, etc)

32. Sarfrin says:

Styx, Bastion and Steamworld Dig.

33. Enkinan says:

ROCKET LEAGUE

34. welverin says:

MGS5, and some Evolve for the challenge.

I am also off work this week, unlike Alice I hate the great outdoors and shall endeavor to spend as much time indoors as possible. I’m also hoping to make enough progress on MGS5 that I’ll be able to finish it before Fallout 4 comes out.

35. Minglefingler says:

Arkham Asylum. Knight was running quite well for me after the patch so I started to play it last week and got thoroughly sucked in, to the point that when the frame rate problems became worse and worse as I progressed I didn’t want to stop and I ended up finishing the story despite some atrocious stutter at points. I left the side missions to be completed after a future patch that hopefully fixes the game but I wasn’t done with Batman, hence my current jaunt around the asylum. Knight isn’t without its problems but I loved it, in part due to how much of a dick Batman is in it.

36. Phantasma says:

Pillars of Eternity (thanks Steam sales).

At first i was afraid that it could be a bit too prosaic and old-school for me but after a rather uneventful start it really starts showing its charms.

Writing is ok even if the lore goes a bit overboard with the fantasy nomenclature at times.
    I’m afraid it will still end up being me having to save the world but right now i’m enjoying the small and personal scope of the plot in contrast to every other RPG of late. Yes, i can see spirits but i’m not the Chosen One (yet).

My only real gripe would be the interface. Much has changed since the nineties and in this field almost always for the better.
    But i’ve seen worse.

Now excuse me, i have to redecorate the kitchen of my stronghold.

teije says:

Pillars for me is like an very rich meal. It’s delicious in small doses and then I get over satiated and need a break.

37. Boult Upright says:

Torchlight 2, in co-op, with my son on a PC I resurrected that is older than him. But it didn’t end well last night. I administered the last hit on Grand Regent Eldrayn. I have learnt my lesson – he is to administer the final blows from hereon.

• Kaeoschassis says:

My laptop won’t run Torchlight ONE. Jeez, how young is your son?

38. caff says:

Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars.

It really is funny.

39. Vandelay says:

Completing Dark Souls is a bit like finishing an amazing TV series or book, you just feel a little lost as to what to move onto next. Suggestions on a postcard would be welcome!

In the meantime, I am going to go in the complete opposite direction from Dark Souls and will get around to playing The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles. The original game was a real delight (besides the mediocre ending,) so hope that this expansion captures that again.

Speaking of adventure games, I do have a bit of a backlog of started but unfinished games. I really should play the last episode of The Wolf Among Us at some point. I recently polished off The Walking Dead Season 2’s last episode in a couple of sittings, which seemed the best way to go about it, so will try to do that at some point when I have a spare 3 or 4 hours. With less enthusiasm, I also have part 2 of Broken Age to complete. I did quite enjoy part 1, but there were elements that really needed improving. It sounds as if part 2 doesn’t expand too much on it and just continues the same path. Then there is also The Raven. I really enjoyed episode 1, but started episode 2 and quite quickly lost interest. The only thing really puling me back is I have a sneaky suspicion as to who the thief is and want to see if the game is as stupid as I suspect it might be. Doubt any of these will feature this weekend, but might try to give some a go over the next week or two. Then I might also get around to finishing off my pre-The Witcher 3 play of The Witcher 2 and carry on with my first play of Thief 2.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I think you’re on the right track choosing a game in a completely different genre. I don’t really have any recommendations. Dark Souls “ruined” a good amount of games for me because the combat, level design, and so on just couldn’t compare. I think I ended up reading some books or something in between playing it and my next game.

• Geebs says:

Generally speaking, the next thing I tend to play after finishing Dark Souls is “Dark Souls, but with a different character”.

40. fish99 says:

Been playing four Unreal Tournament games this week. The original UT and UT2004 are still excellent, and UT2004 still looks pretty. Also had a look at the new UT which is pre-alpha, but looks promising. It’s super-slick and the art style is really nice, but there’s only half a game there right now and it’s not clear what payment model they’re going with.

Also played some UT3 just to remind myself how getting the aesthetics wrong can ruin a game. Dark gritty monotone levels and player models and the result is you just can’t pick out the players from the background well enough for the game to be at all satisfying. The new one has absolutely fixed this btw, it’s clean and brightly coloured.

Back to Batman Arkham City this weekend though.

41. yan spaceman says:

Still MGS V. Though I have found some light relief in Pumped BMX +. If anyone has any interest in BMXs PB+ is fantastic. Kind of like Olli Olli, but with a much more reasonable learning curve.

42. Jackablade says:

I’ll probably be taking a second wander through the The Beginners Guide now that I know where it’s going.

It’s always going to be a divisive one, but it’s an experience that I think is worth having.

• Vandelay says:

I can feel that this one is going to have a massive backlash against it, as I suspect that the humour and sense of fun The Stanley Parable oozed made it reach an audience that would not necessarily be interested in a nominally interactive narrative experience. For those it connects with though it works very, very well.

It is definitely an experience that keeps growing on me the more I think about it. This post by the creator from sometime ago is also quite enlightening on where it comes from: link to galactic-cafe.com

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I glanced at it on Steam earlier today and it was nothing but negative reviews, it seemed. Which probably means I’ll enjoy it.

43. SebfromMTL says:

Got an invite to to the Warhammer Vermintide beta so that even though my rig can’t run it too well. Played around 3 games last night and it’s pretty fun so far, like a more melee focused Left 4 Dead.

And I need to finish Mad Max on PS4. Really love it so far just driving around road avenging is just so much fun. If you are a fan of the franchise it’s a must.

44. Jonfon says:

Just finished my first bout of “show kids how to do the insane thing they’ve got in their heads at a CoderDojo. So brilliantly random.

Other than that Galactic Civilizations 3, which I’m really enjoying. Didn’t play much of 2 so it’s all new to me.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Normally I wouldn’t point this out, but a coder forgetting to close his quotes is pretty amusing.

That does sound like a fun time, though. I dare not imagine the sort of stuff you’d end up doing.

• Jonfon says:

Ack. I’m too used to squiggly red lines showing up my mistakes. This “comment box” IDE is terrible.

• Jonfon says:

And yes. Today I showed a little girl how to make her unicorn make a fart noise when clicked.

45. lepercake says:

Stalker SoC, or Solar Winds. I’m undecided and playing dotes for the time being.

46. Gilead says:

Just completed The Beginner’s Guide. Much more of a one-off experience than the Stanley Parable but I’m happy I played it. Made me want to create something.

So I’ll probably spend the rest of the weekend messing around with Twine or Gamemaker.

teije says:

Probably EUIV or CKII. Or maybe finish my current XCOM playthrough. Just bought a bunch of Paradox titles on insane sale this weekend. Had them all previously of course but having gifted my steam account to my teenage son (being a perfect father :)), I’m building back up my own.

48. v1tr1ol says:

Playing Eve Online as usual and in-between Insurgency (best multiplayer FPS so far) to get a quick fix after a long day/night in Eve. Also, installed Pillars of Eternity White March planning on finishing the story in a couple of days.

49. Shazbut says:

I am playing Undertale.

Again.

(100% GOTY)

50. aoanla says:

I’ve been finally getting around to playing FEZ, after having it languish in my Steam list for several years.

So far, all the mechanics, the general tone (both cutsey and nicely done “3d is eldritch” aspects) and so on are really good. However, I’m already finding the platforming slightly tedious a few hours in, and I have this horrible feeling that I’m going to be doing a heck of a lot of backtracking already – partly because the “map” is actually incredibly unhelpful (it shows you which zones connect to which, but gives no indication of where they connect, so if you’ve been exploring through doors when you find them, you quickly lose track of precisely how you got to where you are, and how to get back to any other place – I’ve not unlocked the 8 cube door in about 30 minutes, because I have no idea how to get back to the place where the 8 cube door is.)