Fallout: Autumn Leaves Is A DLC-Sized New Vegas Mod

Desert-dwellers rejoice, Fallout: Autumn Leaves [official site] heralds a return to the post-apocalyptic Mojave in a mod similar in size to an official DLC expansion.

Inspired by previous Fallout installments, Planetscape: Torment and Arcanum, Fallout: Autumn Leaves dumps The Courier into Hypatia, a never before seen town just east of Novac. From here, he must once again scour the barren Desert Wasteland in a journey which, according to the mod’s page, will last seven to ten hours all told. Check the trailer below.

“Walk the Mojave one last time, and discover a centuries-old library inhabited by sentient machines,” reads the mod’s official blurb-a-tron. “In this forgotten Vault, you will discover that you might not know yourself as well as you thought you did.”

Expect 2000 lines of new dialogue in this campaign of self-exploration, not to mention 29 new perks, eight new quests with variable conclusions and a batch of different endings and slideshows along the way – the kind synonymous with Obsidian/Bethesda’s official series titles. It’s October already (ALREADY?!), but with a full month before Fallout 4 arrives at our vault doors, Autumn Leaves is here to bridge the gap and is out now.

Check out the typically profound, typically Fallout intro video here:

And whilst you’re at it, check out this charming trailer too:

1. Abattoir says:

Planetscape!?!?

Aerothorn says:

I can’t do it. New Vegas is an amazing game trapped in a terrible game engine, with Bethesda’s broken leveling system in place. I’m not sure how one is supposed to approach these mods; any end-game character is crazy-broken even BEFORE they run through the 4 official DLC campaigns. Are you supposed to roll a new character?

• Jinoru says:

Broken? You might want to define that.

My character at the end didn’t feel broken. I was using the Mission Mojave fix mod. I never had trouble with my own character, just a quest critical NPC.

I think I’ll try this mod with my character.

• c13303 says:

I must agree with that. In a way, I love this game very much. I may be picky with the balance but every time I start a new character I end in tears because something is broken (like suddenly your follower is killing everything before you make a move, things like that..) With a bit of work and mods, and eventually role playing, you can fix many of the problems, but I spend more time tweaking the game than playing, and when I think it’s good, there’s always something that breaks the game at some point. This game got me really, really frustrated … But I think I’ll try again (sad face).

3. Senthir says:

More or less, yeah. Roll a new character, pick one that hasn’t beaten the game, etc.

I know I’m not like most people, but I don’t do every single thing there is to do on my first playthrough. I do what immediately grabs me, then move on. Sometimes I’ll skip entire settlements, then on the next playthrough i’ll try it out(or not).

But if you’re one of those types, ain’t nothin’ stoppin’ you from starting a new character, console-cheating your way up to the addons recommended level, grabbing a few key pieces of gear and hitting it up.

• epeternally says:

You shouldn’t have to, though. Any open world game should be balanced such that a completionist should be able to do 100% of the available content with a single character and still have a good experience from front to back. If you can’t do that, some aspect of the game is broken. Borderlands 2 is guilty of this as well, you can’t play the main game and the DLC without ending up overlevelled during one or the other, making the game so easy as to be pointless and not at all fun.

4. Eukatheude says:

More games named after jazz standards, please.

5. FriendGaru says:

The intro video gives me the impression the person making it has a good deal of talent, but it also suffers from the typical mod problem of way too expository dialog. A bunch of the background story stuff ought to have been trimmed out and left to the player’s discovery while playing.