A House Of Many Doors Smashes Kickstarter Ask

Never mind the procedurally-generated poetry, Sunless Sea-inspired combat, and exploration-based RPG-isms that A House Of Many Doors [official site] thrusts into your computer telly screen – it’s a game that lets you scoot about in a train with mechanical legs! A train. With legs. If the DeLorean and KITT had an automotive offspring it still wouldn’t be as cool as this. Luckily, A House Of Many Doors has reached its Kickstarter goal 300 per cent to the good, thus this walking train abberation is a thing that will actually happen. Rejoice!

Perhaps I’m getting over-excited about the wrong things here. After all, the other stuff in A House Of Many Doors looks great too. Levelling up by collecting in-game experiences and penning procedurally-generated poetry (something RPS holds close to its heart) sounds fascinating, as does the game’s “parasite dimension” that “steals from other worlds”. When the Kickstarter campaign kicked off this time last month, Adam was excited, although didn’t quite buy into the roaming trains hype to the degree I clearly have. Each to their own.

Nonetheless, upon finishing the campaign three times over his original ask, creator Harry Tuffs had this to say:

We reached £12,866 in funding. That’s over 300% of our funding goal. And most importantly, 1,103 people pledged. I am outrageously grateful to every single lovely one of you. Actually, I’ve had so much gratitude recently that I’m running out of ways to express it, so I’m just going to proffer a traditional ‘Thank you.’

Thank you, all of you. What next? Well, I’m going to attempt to celebrate, which means I actually stop developing the game for a day! Hopefully this will mean I can interact with humans, consume non-coffee beverages, and experience this thing called “a sun” that people keep talking about. After that, of course, there’s a lot of work still to be done. I’m looking forward to it. (And I’ll be providing you with regular updates along the way, of course.) Let me say it one final time, okay? Thank you.

A House Of Many Doors is due April 2016, according to its Kickstarter page.

1. Mr Underhill says:

Hey RPS, speaking of Kickstarters, Skygoblin is now doing great with a crowdfunding effort for their third and final part in the Journey Down saga. link to kickstarter.com

JiminyJickers says:

I kept an eye on this one, glad it got funded. It looked to similar to Sunless Sea for me to back it. But will probably grab it after it releases.

3. TheAngriestHobo says:

Of the many great ideas to borrow from Sunless Sea, the combat system seems like an… odd choice.

tigerfort says:

I don’t know why the article says it has “Sunless Sea-inspired combat”; the combat actually looks to be much more like FTL, and almost nothing at all like combat in Sunless Sea. (Crew positioning, named individuals getting killed, targetting specific parts of the enemy… all things mentioned as possible in House of Many Doors, all in FTL, none of them in Sunless Sea.)

4. malkav11 says:

Well…”will” happen is perhaps a little too strong for Kickstarters, funded or not. But it looks cool and hopefully nothing goes horribly awry.

teije says:

I backed this since the dev sounds both passionate and realistic and it’s an interesting concept. I liked that he didn’t add any stretch goals, but is focusing on making the core game more polished. Failbetter (makers of Sunless Sea) also put some money into this. And he’s mentioned that combat will be different from Sunless Sea (more emphasis on crew involvement, IIRC).

6. racccoon says:

like the inspire bit..link to youtube.com

7. Raoul Duke says:

Why is everyone suddenly into these games which present page after static page of text and still images? Isn’t that what books are for? Doesn’t that sacrifice some of the best things about PC gaming (you know, movement, interactivity, etc)? I suspect some people might be better off getting some of those ‘choose your own adventure’ novels.

That combat looks ripped directly from FTL, which could be a good thing I suppose.

• malkav11 says:

Interactivity would be the key reason that they’re games. Fallen London and Sunless Sea both regularly require choices of you, some quite permanent, and while the underlying systems aren’t the main draw, they do have mechanics you have to exploit as well. Plus in Sunless Sea, at least, you’re exploring as you go. I assume that House of Many Doors will offer similar features.

Also, I do have gamebooks, and enjoy them, but there’s a level of complexity that a computer program can attain that’s not much fun to keep track of manually. Plus books aren’t great at the whole “multimedia” thing.

8. pixeltrickery says:

Hello, everybody, I’m the dev!

I missed this article when it went up as I am the Worst, and I was also deep in the video game mines. But I’m around now, and happy to answer any questions.

• EighthNote says:

Hmm, guess the ‘reply’ button broke for a minute. Let’s try again:

I don’t have any questions! Just wanted to say hi, I backed this and I’m really looking forward to hearing more about it. And playing it next year!

• pixeltrickery says:

Aw, that warms the old heart-cockles to hear. :) Thank you!

9. pixeltrickery says:

Also, quick note: The game is out July 2016, not April. The April delivery date was just for some of the reward-tiers, like access to the beta.

Thanks so much! :)