Cyberpunk “Bigger Than Anything CD Projekt Has Done”

Details about Cyberpunk 2077 [official site], CD Projekt RED’s long-in-the-making sci-fi RPG that will, so far as we know, be their follow-up to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site], are rarer than miracle cures for wartime Russian mycotoxins. Even rarer is the slightest implication of a release date. However, CDP are happy to reveal that this is no mere experimental side project – “We’re really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size.”

This comes from a short interview between MCV and CDP’s visual effects artist Jose Teixeira. “Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before,” he claims. “Far, far bigger.” Hopefully this means we can leave any lingering paranoia that it’ll be The Witcher 3 with a silver skin at the door. The Witcher 3’s already vast scale – and success – will inform the eventual Cyberpunk game, however. “If anything, working on The Witcher 3 was a really good and often brutal learning experience. Cyberpunk is going to benefit greatly from it. I can almost guarantee it.”

Unsurpisingly, Teixeria wouldn’t be drawn on a release date, apart from joking about 2077. CPD have previously stated that they won’t even begin meaningfully talking about the game until 2017.

This would make it five years since the game was first announced, and two years later than The Witcher 3’s release date. It’d be lovely if the thing was actually released in 2017 – a two-year gap between projects makes a certain sense – though I’m not convinced they’d be happy to make a promotional cycle for what is, to most casual onlookers, a new IP quite that short. (It’s not really new, of course – Cyberpunk 2077 is based upon 80s/90s tabletop RPG Cyberpunk, aka Cyberpunk 2020). Especially given they’ve also talked about their expectation that this would be more even more successful than the already monstrously popular Witcher 3.

Patience is difficult – after The Witcher 3 was such a fine surprise I’m very keen to see this studio try their hand at something entirely different, and they do scuzz so well. If it means a bigger, better game then, well, I can suck it up.

1. jezcentral says:

So very, very torn between wanting AWLTEHINFO now, and letting it be a lovely surprise.

2. Lakshmi says:

I’m happy to wait. From Witcher 1 to 3, they keep evolving their games so brilliantly. Hoping this will be another major leap forward.

3. Kefren says:

If it has the storytelling of Witcher 3, but an optional first person perspective, I’d be very interested. I got past Witcher 3’s control issues, bugs, and irritating DLC complications, but I always sob at how pulled back I am from the world. It’s like watching a toy run around, rather than actually being Geralt. In Two Worlds 1 I remember you could scroll into a first person view for general wandering round (cancelled for horseback and fighting), I was gutted that Witcher 3 didn’t have that option built in.

• Assirra says:

First person in Witcher 3 would have been useless. Due the way witchers actually fight with all the spinning you would not be able to see anythhing.

• Kefren says:

I think you missed my point: “scroll into a first person view for general wandering round (cancelled for horseback and fighting)”. So you could still fight in 3rd person. First person was for exploring. (Though in an ideal world I prefer first person for combat too if it is done well – Dark Messiah, Condemned, Zenoclash etc. Since the spinning is just a fancy effect which does nothing for me I’d be happy to drop it for the combat.

Qazinsky says:

Also, as flipping in The Specialists have thaught us, just because your character is doing some outrageous flipping and spinning, doesn’t mean that the camera has to move along with it. You usually end up facing the same way after the move, anyway.

• jerf says:

There is a mod which allows to do just that:
      link to nexusmods.com

• Kefren says:

I’d heard about it, but am wary of installing things from sources I’ve never used before. Also, so many hours in, I am terrified that it will break my game somehow at a critical point. (I don’t know if the mod was available when I started playing – couldn’t seem to find it when I did a quick search). It shows that it is possible to do, so it annoys me a bit that the devs didn’t include it as an official option. I think it would have added 72.6% more enjoyment to my game.

• jerf says:

Nexus is one of the most popular modding websites, and it’s considered pretty reliable. People on Nexus usually report it quite fast if there’s something wrong with a mod uploaded there. Also this mod in particular doesn’t contain any executables, it just contains replacements of some of the game files, so the virus risk is pretty low, if you’re talking about that.

I highly doubt that this kind of mod can seriosly break anything. It modifies just the camera behaviour, how can that break stuff? I think that you can safely use it. I’d save often, just in case, but I don’t think there could be any problem with this mod.

• Honigsenf says:

had you tried the first person mod via cheatengine ? it well worked for me in way of switching for combat and 1st person wander in cities and landscape

• Kefren says:

Is that the same as the mod above? See comment there. Many thanks!

• Honigsenf says:

no, with that mentioned cheatengine first person mod the values in files will be edit on the fly. (guess hexedit stuff)

you have to launch cheatengine, load the witcher 3 exe into programm, load a file where is written which value need to be edit and set a key which should activate the change

4. int says:

I can carry nearly eighty gigs of data in my head.

• Runty McTall says:

And all without decimal places, huh?

• KillahMate says:

Did you have to sacrifice your childhood memories for that capacity?

On a more serious note, I don’t want them to make Cyberpunk bigger than the Witcher 3. Game developers still seem to be making video games for the marginal audience of chronically truant teenagers who have all the free time in the world, and any game shorter than 50 hours is raked over the coals online by this same tiny but very loud minority (as anyone can attest, the only thing teenagers are competent at is being deafeningly loud online).

A season of Game of Thrones is about ten hours long and costs about $80 on Bluray. I would be perfectly happy for most $60 single-player games to last up to 10-20 hours. If a developer is one of those rare gems that can actually make a game with more than 20 hours of original ideas and no filler (which would make them about as common as Yetis), maybe keeping only the best of those original ideas and making the game 20 hours long wouldn’t be out of order? Eight hours of Bastion is better than 80 hours of Oblivion, I think.

• malkav11 says:

I’d probably ask for an experience around the length of Witcher 2 (40-ish hours, in my playthrough, with a reasonable amount of replay value), myself. At least for $60. but yes. I don’t want Witcher 3 to be as long as it is, so I certainly don’t want Cyberpunk to be bigger and longer.

• Jac says:

My game time is limited at the moment so I don’t tend to go for long games, but witcher 3 was something else. I can’t remember finishing such a huge game and feeling deflated that it was actually over. If a game is 80 hours and a fully engaging experience throughout I wouldn’t call it too long. A game that is too long is one that you get bored of before its over after initially enjoying it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Still, bear in mind that “bigger” can mean a lot of things, as a random example even just the fact that you will be able to create your own character this time ( male/female ) requires by itself a far larger depth in order to make it work as good as a game tailored to one specific character.

Still, my point being: “bigger” can also be the scope and the complexity of it all, even when it comes to the mechanics.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Depends on if you actually want the 100% completeness or the main story. Usually I check every barrel, in Witcher 3 I relaxed and only scavenged when I felt like it. Also I skipped riding, swimming and such activities I didn’t like completely and a good lot of the location scouting in the late game. Same with GTA 5 – I skip the tiresome missions and the collecting stuff.
        I also like to find new dungeons every time I play Skyrim without exploring all the boring caves at once.
        This gives you the illusion of freedom and it’s optional.

• Nereus says:

Where does that leave people with less disposable income? Students, unemployed, or foreigners whose $60 USD game is two whole weeks disposable income? 10 hours of entertainment is pretty grim for all of these people. I get your frustrations in that you often can’t fully invest in something of the scope of the Witcher 3, but you can still take in bits of it if you’re dedicated enough to the experience.

Me, I game for experiencing other worlds. If I could afford to actuall experience other things like traveling to another continent I would, but as it stands on my disability payments this is the only real option and the open world exploration holds a special place in my heart because it’s the closest thing I can get to broadening my horizons.

• MisterFurious says:

There’s no law that says that games have to cost $60.

• vahnn says:

Just because the game is bigger doesn’t mean you necessarily have to spend more time playing through it.

I’ve spent about 150 hours playing Witcher 3, and by telling them where I’m at in the story, they guess I’m about 50-60% complete with the main story, with probably another 6-10 hours if I plow through it.

One of them “beat the game” in about 40 hours by pretty much only doing the main story, the other beat it in 50. I’ve spent a ton of time just exploring the world and completing quests as they occur “naturally.” I turned off pathing and icons on the minimap, pretty much most of the HUD (except the minimap, vitals bars, items/spells/inventory damage indicators), and just explore stuff. When I find interesting areas, I’ll scope the place out with Witcher Sense and often find cool stuff. You can still track down and kill pretty much all the monsters from Witcher Contract quests, or any quests available on bulletin boards. When you complete such quests before actually obtaining the quest via bulletin board, you will get a new quest added to check nearby towns for anyone who may have been having problem with that monster, or missing the things you found, or looking for the person/corpse you found.

It’s a really cool way of playing the game, and one I hope I can emulate in Cyberpunk 2077. I like that I can play through W3 and have a completely different experience than my friends who played the same game.

More stuff doesn’t necessarily mean a longer game. Just more options, variety, and chances for unique experiences.

• Vandelay says:

Don’t compare game price to Game of Thrones. HBO DVDs/Blu-rays are obscenely expensive! I would expect most seasons of TV on Blu-Ray to cost about £20-25 at release (and often with more episodes then GoT.) The Witcher 3 was about double that cost, so probably a slightly better value cost:time, but not massively so.

Still, you can only really compare the value with other games, rather than across different mediums. And time may not be the most important factor for the individual.

• apa says:

Me too. I used to play CP2020 so I’m kinda waiting to see what this one is like. But it’s been a while since I was a teenager with unlimited time to play extensive rpg campaigns *and* video games. If this turns out to be something with “hundreds of hours of play” to finish, I’ll have to skip the game for now and wait until my retirement days.

Besides, if the game goes on for 100 h there’s no way anyone can grasp the whole plot or remember all NPCs…

phuzz says:

Eight gig? Pah! 128GB microSD cards are readily available and I reckon I can fit at least fifty in my mouth, and probably several up my nose and in my ears, so I think I could fit closer to eighty terabytes in my head.
      Eating might be a problem though, swallow at the wrong time and the library of Congress gets a one way trip through your intestines.

5. james___uk says:

Bigger than the Witcher 3? Crikey. These guys are my favourite devs, just too good!

6. 2late2die says:

Two more years, eh? You know, actually the timing sounds perfect, as by 2017 I’ll be about finishing up my Fallout 4 playthrough :D

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Stop reminding people that Fallout 4 is still not there, that’s cruel.

• Arkayjiya says:

Two more years before they start talking about it. If W3 is any indication that means 2019 for a release date.

7. SuicideKing says:

Well, props to them for not rushing it and being honest about the date. And if they’re targeting 2017/2018 systems, it’ll probably look really pretty.

8. 9of9 says:

Even just something the size of Witcher 3, without a set protagonist but with the same level of storytelling depth would be a hell of an achievement.

9. Laurentius says:

I hope that Mike Pondsmith will keep their head on the level. “Bigger then…” and Cyberpunk don’t sit with me tbh. With Witcher 3 CDPR already fall into trap of inflation of of things, saving the world from cataclysm felt very unwitchery and disjointed from so many good bits of Witcher 3. Cyberpunk should not be about saving the wrold but about surviving, living on the edge and probably falling from it into a gutter.

• welverin says:

I wish developers would learn that a bigger game world and more content doesn’t make a better game.

• Stupoider says:

Well it certainly worked for The Witcher 3. Way better than The Witcher 2. Open world games have the problem of having diluted content, which TW3 does have in regards to the treasure chests and other points of interest. But the quests were superbly done in such a way that the ‘open world’ aspects weren’t even what I was focusing on.

If Mike Pondsmith is making a game that does his tabletop RPG justice then making an open city with opportunities like the Witcher contracts and side quests would be a great way of doing it.

• Cinek says:

In case of CD Project – bigger certainly does mean better.

• Assirra says:

Witcher 3 was never about saving the world. It was about saving Ciri, his adopted daughter. The wild hunt has been around for a while and Geralt never bothered with them before they went after his ward.

10. DailyFrankPeter says:

“no mere”, or “no more” an experimental project? I’m asking, cause maybe they are only just starting on it (beyond this one concept painting) and hence no release dates.

11. natendi says:

+1 for Neuromancer ref

12. Philopoemen says:

Make it 2020 – an homage to the source material

• Cinek says:

It’s made in a cooperation with Mike Pondsmith. There’s no need for any more of a “homage to the source material” than that.

• SuicideKing says:

Problem being that 2020 is 5 years away today, and will only be 2 years away when the game releases. Story and setting won’t be very plausible.

• jerf says:

(S)he meant releasing Cyberpunk 2077 in 2020 as a homage to the source material.

13. Bweahns says:

I’ve been playing Netrunner again recently. So keen for this game.

14. Stupoider says:

Novigrad was the greatest portrayal of a medieval-themed fantasy city I’ve ever seen in a game. Amazing amount of detail, research and design went into that. I’ll probably quit everything and dedicate my life to the game if Cyberpunk’s city surpasses Novigrad.

15. Orazio Zorzotto says:

It’ll take the rest of the industry 2-3 years to catch up to Witcher 3 so good timing on the part of CD Projekt.

16. ShatteredAwe says:

I hope this game’s more diverse than TW3 was, at least. Even if they really want to use the “It’s a European Fantasy” excuse, having an all-white world wont fly with this universe.

• Cinek says:

Jesus fuck. Just… get out.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

no u

• ShatteredAwe says:

Oh sorry for questioning why a game that markets to an INTERNATIONAL AUDIENCE that takes place in a FANTASY (read: Can literally do/represent whatever the author wants) WORLD that was released in 2015 only features white people.

Am I allowed to question? Last time I checked criticism was allowed of video games? Unless it’s not now?

• MrUnimport says:

Because we’re talking about a different GAME now. Can we at least wait until some details come out before we start crucifying the devs for not meeting arbitrary diversity quotas?

I say this as a mixed white-Chinese Canadian, because apparently we’re all getting our ethnic credentials out today.

• ShatteredAwe says:

First of all, no offense but I could care less that you’re Mixed. It really doesn’t matter to me. To put it into perspective, the most racist people I know have been POC.

Second of all, I’m not crucifying anyone. I’m simply asking for representation and asking questions as to why it’s so. I fail to see how wanting to see representation in a game is “arbitrary”. Just because you don’t care about representation in video games doesn’t mean that other people don’t as well.

• Cinek says:

You’re complaining about supposed lack of “representation” in the game that’s put in a part of the world filled with dwarfs, elves, vampires, trolls, and whatever other races are there I can’t recall now, cause there’s so damn many of them. Heck – racism is one of the major parts of the plot in an entire game. And you’re trying to make an issue out of it because the game did not fulfil your quota on having people in a specific skin colors. It looks for me like you are the one who is being racist right now.

You look like an extreme case of social justice warrior, to the point where you ignore obvious as and focus on some nuances that don’t satisfy your desire for equalities in all dimensions.

• ProcrastinatingSod says:

” that markets to an INTERNATIONAL AUDIENCE”

That’s quite a skewerd and backwards way of looking at it. You do realise that foreign film/books/games that get international release can do so without changing their culutral context, right?

• ggggggggggg says:

you’re in luck. cyberpunk takes place in a future los angeles

• wombat191 says:

actually it takes part in a fictional city called night city

• SuicideKing says:

I read through the diversity comments on the other TW3 story, and I really don’t see a problem. I say this as an Indian – you’ll rarely find an Indian protagonist in a game (closest I know of is FC4) – I don’t mind a culturally themed game, movie or setting.

TW3 was fine.*

Any story or game that remains faithful to the period or theme it represents will usually end up being naturally diverse, as in real life people of all walks of life have contributed to history. TW3 similarly seems naturally diverse for its setting, artificial diversity may not come out well.

*I haven’t played it myself, friends have and their complaints were more about the combat system. In fact, two of them took issue with the Polygon review for complaining about racism/lack of diversity/whatever it was.

• ShatteredAwe says:

Well no offense, but as a Black-Canadian woman I don’t really agree with your viewpoint, although I can see where it comes from.

I’m not accusing CDProjekt Red of Racism (And I definitely don’t think they’re sexist, they’ve learned from the mistakes of TW2 and TW1), and by all means I love the game otherwise, but it just bothers me that in 2015 we’re still creating games with All-White casts.

The game isn’t culturally themed, not from my viewpoint at least. The developers never mentioned anything about it being a game that was supposed to be faithful to Polish/Slavic Lore. Instead, it was marketed as an adaptation of a Polish Book. Also, it’s a *Fantasy* game, and in fantasy you can literally place anything or anyone that you want into it, if you’re the author, because it’s *your* world. If the author/developers wanted to make it just about Slavic history, then it wouldn’t have a lot of the fantastical elements that are in the game now. As it stands now, the developers decided to make a world, in 2015, where EVERYONE is white. Considering how Gaming is still struggling with diversity now, you’re right, it’s not exactly racist, but it’s just… boring. Samey. It doesn’t change or progress the medium at all.

• Stupoider says:

“The game isn’t culturally themed, not from my viewpoint at least. The developers never mentioned anything about it being a game that was supposed to be faithful to Polish/Slavic Lore.”

The game is culturally themed. You can find real world influences in all of the game’s designs. Heck, Oxenfurt looks like a carbon copy of Wittenberg University. You can tell the devs did their research and for that reason the game feels incredibly authentic. Just because the developers never SAID that doesn’t mean it isn’t the case. If you have played The Witcher 1 you would know that.

“Also, it’s a *Fantasy* game, and in fantasy you can literally place anything or anyone that you want into it, if you’re the author, because it’s *your* world.”

This line of argument always struck me as rather silly. Just because it’s a fantasy game, anything goes? There needs to be SOME internal logic and consistency when it comes to the influences the game is drawing from. You can’t just have a car drive into Geralt half way through the game and expect people to just accept it. And it would be an anachronism to put black people into the game in the name of diversity. Heck, considering the barometer for ‘diversity’ varies from person to person, country to country, even indulging in this kind of identity politics ends up causing SOMEONE some grief.

“As it stands now, the developers decided to make a world, in 2015, where EVERYONE is white.”

Completely false.

“Considering how Gaming is still struggling with diversity now, you’re right, it’s not exactly racist, but it’s just… boring. Samey.”

Samey because of the colour of people’s skin? I’m half filipino, I’m no more interesting or boring than anyone else. If devs injected a bunch of half filipinos into the games I play, they’d still be the same game.

I do have to question the demand for this kind of diversity-driven gaming after the recent failure of Tale of Tale’s’ Sunset. There’s a diverse, yet boring, game.

• ShatteredAwe says:

Sigh. Let’s get this started. This comment is going to be long.
            1st paragraph response:
            A game that is relatively diverse compared to TW3 is The Warcraft Franchise. In Warcraft, the Humans are European themed, but that doesn’t prevent a few black humans existing in the lore. The Tauren are Native American inspired, and The Trolls are West Indies inspired. Just because you’re inspired by one part of the world doesn’t exempt you from being inspired by others.

2nd paragraph response:
            I’m going to just start with the last part and mention that White people are a minority in the world, so it doesn’t make sense for the VAST MAJORITY of video games out there to ONLY feature white people. Let’s start there.
            Secondly, yes there does need to be some sort of logic with Fantasy, but exactly HOW would including someone of a different race BREAK immersion of a video game? Maybe for the group of people who are defending this game’s homogeneity for the wrong reason, but NOT for sane people. How exactly would making the game more diverse make the game any less of a great fantasy. People are aware that non-whites have been living in Europe since the beginning, right? That Poland itself has a HUGE Roma minority, that are suspiciously missing from the game. I wish people would stop acting as if Europe was EVER an All-White area, or that adding diversity to a game like, this, once again, 2015, would BREAK immersion. The only way something like that would break immersion is if… yeah.

“Completely false”
            Please show me an example of an actual, living breathing racial minority in this game. Hell, I don’t even remember if this game had more than one gay person.

Last Bit Response:
            First of all, why does everyone commenting seem to think I care what race they are? Just because you’re Half-Asian doesn’t really change things. I’ve met plenty of minorities who were racist towards whites before. I only disclosed my nationality, race and gender because someone else on this thread did first.
            Second of all, EXACTLY. If this game was more diverse then it’d be the SAME GAME, BUT it’d be a bit better socially. For example, a Filipino teenager who previously didn’t really care about RPGs might look at the cover art or a screenshot of the game and say “oh neat! This dev is actively showing that I matter in his/her worldview, and realizes that I might enjoy a representation of myself in this game. This game might feel a bit more comfortable with me now, since I can see some semblance of myself/my surroundings within it. I might give this game a try now, and *subsequently get more interested in RPGS*.” The longer the game industry continues it’s “Whites-Only Pander Only To White Male Teenagers” the less and less money it’ll make. And yes, I DO find things that are homogeneous boring. Because it only takes inspiration from one part of the world, conveniently the same part of the world that I live in. I’m not going to go crazy over it because this is the same stuff I already know. When you add inspiration from different races, even adding simple offers to see different perspectives of the same idea via race, it adds interesting and new viewpoints that previously wouldn’t have happened/been seen. Of course that’s better than the same thing over and over again. The devs had a chance to make this game different, break norms, make it really special and unique. Now, aside from the gameplay and story, it’s just another All-White Fantasy. And that’s pretty sad.

Also, last thing because I feel like I’m rambling. Nice cherrypicking to make it seem that gamers don’t want more diverse games. Here’s a list of some games that ARE diverse and made a lot of money:
            Borderlands Series, Dragon Age Series (especially the last 2 games) ,Warcraft Series, Sports Games, Call of Duty/ Battlefield games, Life is Strange, The Last Of Us ,Metal Gear Solid Series
            And much more.

Not to mention all the movies and shows that have gained alot of respect/money from having diverse casts
            Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Fast And Furious Series, Law And Order

Hell even in games like Pillars of Eternity they at least give you the option.

• ProcrastinatingSod says:

“The game isn’t culturally themed, not from my viewpoint at least.”

Well, it is from their. I don’t want to turn this into another wall of text, since there were entire articles written on W3 cultural context. I suggest You check out the comment section to the preview article on “Hearts of Stone”, it has some nice links there.

” The developers never mentioned anything about it being a game that was supposed to be faithful to Polish/Slavic Lore.”

Right….You know, except almost every interview/media piece about the game following up to, and after it’s release.

This is such a silly argument, I can’t believe how it gained so much traction with people. Yes, it’s fantasy but it still adheres to certain stylistic or cultural guidelines. Guidelines in which some things are more obvious than others. Tolkien wrote a fantasy world and *technically* he cold make Aragorn transgender.

*If the author/developers wanted to make it just about Slavic history, then it wouldn’t have a lot of the fantastical elements that are in the game now. *

The idea behind the games and the novel, was telling a story about the vices and virtues of Polish people through lens of myth and modern popculture. That’s the main idea of the franchise. It may not be obvious due to a lot of “polish’ness” being lost in translation, but that’s the case here. It’s very much a national piece of popculture. Something the author wanted to do in order to tell a story about his countrymen and that his countrymen (and people generally from that patch of the planet) can not only understand and relate to. They have full right to do so. If an asian developer did the same with an all-asian cast in a story that talks about CHinesse pepole, through the use of modern popculture, would You have a problem with that?

“it’s not exactly racist, but it’s just… boring. Samey. It doesn’t change or progress the medium at all.”

Not only is that a completely different argument, it’s also highly arguable. See Witcher is not “samey”, that’s ridiculous. It’s uniquiness and cultural grounding is in fact one of the very reasons that it’s so popular. Not everything that’s white is the same. THe game is based on a lot of well-know, post-tolkien tropes but it subverts them and twists them as often as it uses them. In fact the game is an example of diversity, as it’s a product made by a minority, offering certain elements that other games don’t. Plus, skin colour of the characters has absolutely nothing to do with with the thematic variety of things of interest in the game. At the end of the day it’s all about the way the characters are written themselves. You can tell a story with just one race that has a more thematically diverse and interesting cast of characters than a story filled with all the colours of the rainbow. By Your logic any foreign piece of fiction shoudln’t have any merit today if it came from a racially homogenous place. Should I look back at “War and Piece” and think of it as “Soooooo 1869” becouse it doesn’t have any black people?

• kud13 says:

Ugh. Re-treading same argument a million times.

The Witcher series of games are adaptations of a series of Polish books-aimed at a Polish audience. The setting is a pseudo-eastern European fantasy world, steeped in predominantly Slavic mythology, with multiple cultural references and inside jokes.

The game adaptations did their best to stay as faithful as they could to that tone-i.e., aiming first and foremost at the domestic (Polish) audience. You realize that when Obama visited Poland, they presented him a copy of TW2-because it’s seen as a NATIONAL achievement-something that’s become symbolic of modern Poland, hell, its “business card”, so to speak.

And yes, the setting is fairly homogeneous. But here’s the thing. To your average backwoods medieval Pole (or Czech, or Hungarian), the Vikings were exotic. So were the French.

The Witcher lore established that there are dark-skinned people in the world-they live in Zerrikania, a far-off, isolationist state. at the best of times. And in the atmosphere of general xenophobia and intolerance that TW3 is portraying, it would have been very odd to show a POC without drawing the “bad” type of attention to them-it’s not internally consistent with the game’s logic. I can imagine the outrage if CDPRED included a Zerrikanian merchant in Novigrad, and then showed him arrested/executed “for suspicions of treason” or “heresy”, while the (all-white) mob cheered. We’d never hear the end of it. But if the same hypothetical merchant was just there, same as any other merchant, then you’d have a minority asking “well, why isn’t he persecuted, when you have people burned at the stake for suspected use of magic, or for being non-human?” it’d stick out like a sore thumb, since it’d be there “for diversity’s sake” and no other reason, while clashing with the general tone of the game.

• SuicideKing says:

I’ve no real reason to be offended, it’s a civil discussion after all.

See, thing is, it’s slavic themed, as pointed out by others, the media coverage has said as much. Even the source material (the book) is themed.

Even within fantasy realms, you have a right to choose based on the story you’re telling. That’s cool. Games like XCOM have diversity because the fantasy there was “aliens vs the world’s largest countries”. So you have India, China, Iran, Spain, Russia, America, Japan, UK, Mexico, etc. as members of the council and you have soldiers from all nationalities and ethnicities.

Similarly, FreeSpace 2 is similarly multi-cultured because it’s set in the 24th century and our civilisation spans star systems.

Sleeping Dogs doesn’t really have many people from other cultures (I can’t remember any at the moment – but I think there was one american dude) because that’s the nature of Hong Kong. I’ve been to Taipei and if HK is similar, then Sleeping Dogs is hard to fault for limiting its diversity of characters.

Borderlands 2 has lots and lots of diversity, because the fantasy there is basically “another planet, another universe/galaxy, shoot everything”.

Not having women in Arma 3 is dumb because it’s a primarily multiplayer game with lots of role-play and active clans and communities, and is essentially an open-world sandbox. Of course, I wouldn’t expect the devs to include women soldiers in the (already not so good) single player campaign if they can’t/don’t want to, but it’s kinda inexcusable for multiplayer (especially since it’s been a requested feature for two years now).

And FC4 made Nepalese sound like Indians from the plains and speak Hindi, and that too with tired stereotypical dialogues. Soldiers especially use language that school kids would use to insult each other. So yeah, if a dev team isn’t comfortable doing something or will end up with a FC4 like result, they rather just stick to what they know, or make a proper attempt. Shoehorning stuff isn’t the answer.

Anyway, whatever, TW3 is made and did well. Cyberpunk 2077 should be diverse, it’s set in LA.

• Cinek says:

“we’re still creating games with All-White casts” – that’s not what happen though. They created a game full of elves, dwarfs, even sylvans, godlings, dopplers, succubus and others. Witcher 3 is filled with various different races. I’m starting to think that you either did not play the game or are intentionally trolling.

• MrUnimport says:

I can’t help but wonder: if there were to be a game set in mythical ancient India, would people be campaigning to see white people, East Asians, and Native Americans included?

• ShatteredAwe says:

Of course not. Don’t be daft.

Pretend that POC and White people each have 2 cups, their fill representing the amount of representation in the media they have. TW3 being all white is overfilling the White cup. An all-Indian game being all Indian is filling up a pretty empty POC cup.

Gosh I can’t believe that I have to explain this to people.

• Assirra says:

No the reason that the game is all white is because it is based on european fantasies fit together in a universe by a Polish writer. Having a person not being white in that world would feel very very forced because it simply does not make sense.

• MrUnimport says:

I’m quite familiar with the argument. What I object to is the flattening of myriad cultures and peoples into a single identity whose only property is not being white. There is no reason for there to BE a POC cup, no reason to lump together minorities into one necessarily-acultural group. I’m all for outside-the-norm narratives, but artificially inserting ethnic diversity into a setting that wouldn’t naturally contain it smacks of dishonesty. You’re also ignoring the fact that medieval Polish culture and history is separate and distinct from white Anglo-Saxon culture and history. Just because Poles are light-skinned Europeans doesn’t mean Polishness is heavily represented in mainstream media.

I’m gonna leave it at that though because this isn’t really the time or place and I’m trying to break the stifling habit of always trying to have the last word.

• ProcrastinatingSod says:

“The reason why this game being all white is a problem is because the majority of the media in the world is already all-white. ”

But the majority of media isn’t “all Polish”. How many pieces of plish-made popculture can You name? This is a game made by a minority. Made by representants of one the world’s most historically opressed nations. A minority that tell their story through the lens of their myth’s and modern popculture. The fact that the minority happens to be white, doesn’t change that. I know that for You westeners the idea of white people being in any way underrepresented is laughable, but things look a bit different on this side of the planet.

• kud13 says:

Well, let’s get more specific than that, shall we: majority of media in the world is Western European or North American White”

As a (white) person living in Canada for over half my life, but coming from an Eastern European background (and finding that in a number of cultural mores I have more in common with various POC immigrants than with “White” Canadians”, I always find this bias amusing. “All “white” culture is the same, because all white people are white”, right? So when CDPRED makes something Polish, we’re not looking at it as “Polish”, but rather as smth “White”, despite the fact that at the time the Witcher books were written, Poland may have been more comparable to say, Chile, than Western Europe/US.

But hey, throwing out labels is cooler than actually looking at the context, no?

• Likethiss says:

The majority of the media in the world is not all-white. That is just a ridiculous statement. The majority of people are not consuming western media. Unless you only care about the skin color, and you are also outraged about asian media portraying mostly light skinned people.It seems like you see the “world” as basically the same thing as USA+EU.

• SuicideKing says:

You’re almost correct – there would be white people (greeks mainly), turks, arabs, central asian and chinese people, but that’s because that was the nature of Indian history.

Native americans and blacks would be out of place, of course.

• MrUnimport says:

Thanks for the correction. I was really only sure about the native Americans.

• pepperfez says:

It seems like they’ve heard those criticisms, and I can’t imagine they’d simultaneously ignore them and ignore the demands of a cyberpunk setting.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

We had this discussion, I’m sure a Cyberpunk setting would be multicultural by default without adding “PC”-alibi-characters.

I’m half-asian and I don’t care squat if poles make a fantasy game where everyone looks polish.

• Likethiss says:

That is why you need these literal white knights saving you from this outrageous racism. You dont even realize that you are so oppressed anymore!

• CustodesTechnicus says:

First, to assuage your fears, the Cyberpunk series (2013 and 2020) is set in California, specifically, an area surrounding Los Angeles. The writer of the system, Mike Pondsmith, is a Black American who grew up in the area. Presumably, there will be a cornucopia of varying folks to see. Fret not.
      Second, it’s unfortunate that you’re still angry, or perhaps bitter, about the state of “PoC” representation in The Witcher 3. I will argue that the game is a celebration of a not particularly well known Polish fantasy series written by Andrzej Sapkowski a Polish man. The media industry isn’t exactly rife with examples of Poles that aren’t representative of some malicious stereotype. CD Projekt RED took the opportunity to show fantasy with injections of Slavic mythology to an otherwise unknowing/uncaring populace and provide representation of a culture that is lacking in the industry. They deserve to do just that.

Third, it has been explained why there are few “PoCs” in the area where the Witcher takes place. Most Zerrikanians want NOTHING to do with the North while they are going through multiple wars and pogroms against elves and dwarves.
      Finally, I’d say that seeing this as a “failure to inclusivity” is a very narrow-minded and short-sighted viewpoint. I see this as a victory. A developer hailing from an ethnic group with a tragic history of persecution was able to create a successful video game about Polish heroes in a Polish fantasy. If they can do that, then other ethnicities can show reverence for their culture by doing the same.

Representation is more than just skin color.

Phasma Felis says:

Google up a picture of Mike Pondsmith sometime.

• Likethiss says:

What is going on in this world of ours? Arent there any bigger things going on than diversity in video games. Why not channel all the energy to something with even the slightest meaning in a bigger scale…

• LionsPhil says:

WHY ARE YOU PLAYING VIDEOGAMES WHILE CHILDREN ARE STARVING IN AFRICA

• Likethiss says:

No. That is not what i said. Just that this thing has gotten out of proportions in my opinion. And why does it seem to be centered around TW3 at the moment, i dont recall this discussion filling every article about Shadow of Mordor for example.

• Cinek says:

LionsPhil, you really should start reading comments before trying to troll them.

17. Enkinan says:

As long as the content is good, I say make it as big as possible. Witcher 3 did a great job, with not as much BS fluff as I thought there would be for a world that big.

18. Tasloi says:

Really looking forward to this. I hope they stay true to their vision and not get too caught up in the broader ideological battles going on.

There’s nothing useful to be learned from those who, at the mere sight of a digital leggy woman with a bare midriff, start throwing out various -isms and ranting about how it’s disastrous to the medium.

19. jonahcutter says:

I’m excited for it, especially in light of the Witcher 3 excellence.

But, 2017 is fine. XCOM 2. Mass Effect 4. Just Cause 3. Another Witcher 3 playthrough with hardcore mod and all DLC. Other AAA games I’m sure I’m forgetting. Probably a dozen intriguing indies, at least. Plus my own life and art to work on.

2017+ is fine guys. Take your time.

20. Shazbut says:

I am destined to never play a CD Projekt game as my computer can never run them, and when I upgrade, newer releases are more exciting (and usually prettier).

21. caff says:

I AM VERY EXCITED FOR THIS SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

22. zat0ichi says:

Apparently I’m so much of a PC elitist that I still can’t let myself enjoy witcher 3 without feeling cheated. It could have been soooo atmospherically pretty with wonky game mechanics.

As long as their promo footage is clearly labelled I will look forward to this.

23. wombat191 says:

im really looking forward to this.. waiting since 1990.. looking forward levels.

the trailer they released really captured the cyberpunk vibe and im curious how things like the classes will be reproduced.. if they will be at all.

also give me lots and lots of cyberwear! if you arent on the verge of murdering everyone around you due to cyber psychosis then you arent playing cyberpunk properly

24. Gordon Shock says:

Knowing that the CD Projekt folks have been honing their craft with the Witcher series in order to deliver a Cyberpunk RPG is utterly exciting to me as I prefer sci-fi over fantasy, by a long shot.

25. postrook says:

Is this really news that needed an article. Nah.