Far Cry Primal Trailer: Fight Mammoths With Spears

Update: There’s now proper trailers and everything, embedded below, or hop to this post for Far Cry Primal’s release date, screenshots, trailers and more.

Viral marketing isn’t entirely going Ubisoft’s way lately, but at least having their own promotional rug for the next Far Cry pulled from under them by a loose-lipped IGN Turkey means exciting news rather than quizzical looks. Yep, the next Far Cry is, it appears, to be named Far Cry Primal and is set during the Ice Age.

Here’s the reveal trailer:

And here’s one explaining the “creative vision” behind the game:

Ubisoft attempted to tease the news with a livestream that depicts nothing but a cave painting, depicting images of fur-clad barbarian types, sabertooth tigers, bears, rhinos, what looks like an offering to some sort of sun god and MAMMOTHS. We all want to fight a mammoth, right? Haven’t done that since Skyrim.

Shortly after the mysterious stream went up, IGN Turkey tweeted some artwork and the name ‘Far Cry Primal.’ That tweet has since been deleted and somebody has probably just spent a sleepless night wondering whether disrupting a carefully-coordinated marketing campaign will cost them their job. Naturally, the confirmation was recorded elsewhere for posterity, plus it also caused Kotaku to break cover and state that they’d long heard rumours of a prehistoric Far Cry. They also speculate that this will be a Blood Dragon-style interim game rather than Far Cry 5, though I’m thinking it seems like a bigger and more elaborate deal than Blood Dragon was.

I’m quite excited. One of the main reasons Far Cry 3 and 4 didn’t entirely click with me was the smart-ass dialogue and contrived civil war / heart of darkness settings and themes. Actually saying ‘screw it, actual survival theme’ makes a whole lot of sense, even before we get into the giant prehistoric wildlife. But we should get into that, because the animal hunting is one of FC3 & 4’s greatest (if most gruesome) joys, so it’s eminently wise to potentially be expanding upon that side of things.

Also no guns, presumably, unless they’re doing something sci-fi too. I just hope that conversation is barked single words and grunts, and we’re not going to get early humans speaking like 21st century know-it-alls.

From this site

1. Stevostin says:

No gun, no sword, no armor, just the least interesting part of Far Cry (animals) and the actually unpleasant part of the gameplay (killing and skinning them. a lot). Unless there is something in the story (like for Blood Dragon aka very funny) it’s way off my radar.

Oh wait, FC4 crashed on me after 50h loosing my entire ability to finish the game, first game doing that to me in 15 years. It’s way off my radar anyway then.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Please remember

Lose: the opposite of win.
      Loose: like your mum

• colossalstrikepackage says:

I’m with Stevo on this one. I thought FC2 was a masterpiece – it threw me off FSP for years (in a good way). Played some FC3, but couldn’t finish when I realised I was repulsed by killing animals for satchels for no reason – there are men with equipment who are armed and happy to take me down. Why not take from them/ their supplies?

I enjoyed Blood Dragon immensely – reminded me that FPS games can just be fun(ny).

Not for me.

• Lolsmurf says:

Is the FarCry series even considered a videogame ? You have 75% scripted bullshit and cutscenes and 20% actual gameplay.

The other 5% is credits and bullshit you get before you can even start the game.

2. GallonOfAlan says:

Interesting, but limited scope for shoot-bang-fire I would have thought, unless they get some sort of time travel palaver into it.

For all the dissing that Far Cry 2 gets (and on console where you can’t mod the problems out, probably deserved) in terms of creating the atmosphere of a nasty little war in a backwater of the world, it does a far better job than 3 and 4. Number 3 has a bunch of irritating dudebro tit-ends as protagonists who are very hard to like, and Number 4 especially basically has Sideshow Bob as a villain.

• Zekiel says:

Well I always thought bows were really cool in FC3, and presumably they’ll still have them. (I’m guessing that bows are actually anachronistic for the Ice Age, but I’m also guessing they’ll have them anyway.)

• GallonOfAlan says:

Yes, I probably use bows more than anything else in FC3 and FC4.

• onodera says:

No, bows are older than you think. Bows, bolas, spears, axes, spear throwers can all appear in FC:P. I doubt they had optical sights back then, though.

• Nevard says:

No scopes, but they may give you mystical sight instead.

• Y2Kafka says:

WHAT? Are you saying I can’t attach a scope to my spear and throw it with increased accuracy? This game is going to suck.

3. Dawlight says:

Next up: Far Cry: Black Flag, Far Cry: Brotherhood, Far Cry: Unity and Far Cry: Syndicate.

• Quinnbeast says:

Oooh, AssCry.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Storywise, protagonist will be used as a databank for looking up inside their ancestor memories the strange, rectangular-shaped artifact through the Hugely Omittable, Operable Plothole Stuff device (akin to poncier labelled “Animus”)

Qazinsky says:

Gah, wasn’t the first leak trouble enough, Dawlight, you just ruined four years of promotional material!

Harlander says:

I’d like to see an unlocking mechanism in the game – one that unlocks language.

“Ugh. Gruh. Ugh, rock! Fire! (NOUNS unlocked!)”

• DasBlob says:

That is… an awesome idea! If Primal Leak is as tongue in cheek as Blood Dragon, that fits right in.

Come to think of it, I wouldn’t mind a serious game in which “unlocking” the language of the NPC is a goal.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Myst V and, to a lesser extent, Tension/Turgor had involved player in unlocking the scribblings. Does that count?

• Geebs says:

If UbiSoft do it, every 30 minutes the player character will have a rock fall on their head in a cutscene and forget how to speak.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Ah, I wish they did that in MGS now!

(specifically, having a rock item to throw at NPC to shut them up, because the “skip” button doesn’t feel as satisfying.. Knowing Kojima, he’d come up with clever things NPC would say later, like “oh, but you just skipped my previous neverending train of thought, remember?”)

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

You know, what else could make a great gameplay mechanic?
      Luring the enemy/prey into a beforehand covered up small tar pit and setting it on fire.

I bet this is exactly how roast meat was discovered! (not those boring-ass hypothesis’es back from prymary school books about a living creature once got struck by lightning and all)

5. Barchester says:

This means there will be less catapulting large animals by way of explosives and that makes me a little sad. Still, could be cool.

6. Strabo says:

Maybe we will see a new skinning animation this time around?

7. vlonk says:

Watch out Ubi, the WILDMAN pitch has already swallowed one dev in the recent past.

8. iainl says:

They’ll bottle it and add guns. The only question is whether it’s time travel, or (and I really hope it’s this) Aliens. Come on, set up a savage, Conan-style patriarchy that rules through force of Bronze-age arms, and then dump a crashed UFO with an abandoned laser pistol in front of some foraging member of the underclass.

Leave to simmer until the cruel tyrant’s ready to be overthrown, then drop the space-monster’s mates into the mix.

• trashmyego says:

With the direction they went starting with Far Cry 2, I’m not expecting anything imaginative out of this. They’ll find a way to make even the novelty of the Ice Age boring and shallow.

• Oozo says:

One can always hope that they will hire AceTeam to add meaty fistycuff combat, right? …right?

9. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I’ve become a bit tired of Ubi’s game model. Every big bucks game they’ve belched out has been a reskinned janitor game. They should just come out with it and make Ubi: Clean up the Map.

phuzz says:

I can fully see what’s wrong with it, but for some reason I like cleaning the map.
      Hell, I even 99 percent completed Just Cause 2. (Deeply annoyingly there’s a bug in the game that means you can’t reach 100% without a patch to re-add a few missing crates)

Maybe I have a problem.

10. piedpiper says:

This will be small game like Blood Dragon, I am sure of it. No cars, no guns – it will get boring pretty fast if it would have a huge map and lot of missions. No number in the title confirms my thoughts. Well I enjoyed every Far Cry game more or less and this sounds interesting too. Now I finally will get to bow killing without thinking “why am I doing this when I have silenced sniper rifles and machineguns”.
    But also it can suck if they will go Shangri-La gameplay wise on it. It was pretty but soo dull. The worst part of Far Cry 4.

• Cinek says:

Cars = driving on animals. Guns = bows and javelins. Add to this a melee combat that actually is a thing and matters – you might get quite an interesting mix. I for one am at a very least intrigued.

• vlonk says:

Slings. Do not forget slings and spiky rocks. Let’s hope they go all in and try something, like removing aiming crosshairs altogether for this one.

• Barchester says:

I’m all for no cars and (self-crafted) bows and arrows, really. More than enough open world games with cars and guns already.

• LexW1 says:

I hope it is a small game, because they can afford to be a lot more daring, and potentially come up with something fantastic. I mean, let’s say it’s set 15,000 years ago, you’ve got (all stone):

Daggers
      Axes
      Spears/javelins
      Bows
      Spear-throwers (atl-atls etc.)
      Slings
      Clubs/Hammers
      Torches/stuff that is on fire

You also have alcohol in stone jugs back to at least 10k BC so that’s doable too.

That’s as well as mystical powers granted by tattooes/jewelery/bones/shamans etc.

Pushing it further back would limit you further, but there’s always artistic license. 30k years ago maybe loses bows (or not – oldest known is 9k years old but there appear to be arrowheads from 70k year ago, but it buys you Neanderthals.

11. Rekeiji says:

I wish these marketing departments would remember theyre selling a game and not a marketing campaign. Drop the pointless evasive crap and tell me what youre advertising in the first contact

• LionsPhil says:

How will you get a constant hypefest of gaming news blog articles if you don’t dripfeed information and trailers little-by-little?

12. onodera says:

Melee system from Zeno Clash, pretty please?

Mr. Anderson says:

Guns will probably be in an exclusive preorder DLC.

14. SuicideKing says:

So, hunting, bow-and-arrow combat, and an environment where overtly aggressive animals actually make sense?! AND NO STUPID DIALOGUE FROM NPCs!

Well, sounds more like ARK than FC, but is probably the most interesting FC in a long, long time. If it’s priced like Blood Dragon, I may actually consider it, too!

15. Blastaz says:

Genuinely interested in how this develops. The far cry pallet cleansers have had some creative settings.

Say what you want about Ubisoft but they do actually take some creative risks…

16. Ejmir says:

Fun idea but makes no sense. Sun god before agriculture makes no sense. Barked single words and grunts. etc…
    So it will be like Blood Dragon.

I don’t like that game of game anyway but it’s probably better to aim for fun and not for lesson-giver narrations.

17. thelastpointer says:

Hey, if they finally figure out how to do proper first-person melee combat, I’m all for it.

• Oozo says:

Just out of interest: Does this mean that you have played Zeno Clash, but didn’t like the combat? Or is it that you are not aware of it?
      I guess you can always improve on an existing formula, but I thought that Zeno Clash got a lot of things right when it comes to throwing punches in people’s face in first-person view.

• All is Well says:

It could also mean that know about ZC and like the combat, but meant that Ubi haven’t figured out proper 1st person melee combat yet, as exemplified by previous Far Cry entries (Far Cries?)

• thelastpointer says:

Good call — I’m aware of it, but haven’t played it. Now that you mention it, maybe I should!

18. Elliot Lannigan says:

Not buying that there won’t be dinosaurs. After Jurassic World and ARK both making gobs more money than anyone would have expected, how can you do a prehistoric Far Cry and NOT do dinosaurs? Its been 20 years since we had even an attempt at an AAA dinosaur shooter (counting Trespasser as “an attempt” with a big budget), the market is swollen with desperate need, and indie survival games aren’t enough to satisfy it.

• Siimon says:

20 years? Nah, Turok64 came out just 18 years ago! ;)

• RedViv says:

Wonder if I’ll settle for completely inaccurate terror birds too…

No, no. That won’t do. Dinosaurs. With proper scale please. Not these floaty nonsense things from ARK.

• AngusPrune says:

I can only hope they’ll do a 1 million years BC-themed expandalone in the style of Blood Dragon. All fur bikinis and scaled up iguanas and tarantulas.

19. Siimon says:

Mammoths seems like a cheap re-skinning on FC4’s elephants.