MGSV: The Phantom Pain Update Adds Insurance

Metal Gear Solid V [official site] latest update focuses on additions to FOB missions, in which players can invade and steal from specially-constructed bases maintained by other players. One of the updates is the ability to pay real money to insure the contents of your base. Find more details below.

Before now, the decision to invade another player’s FOB (Forward Operating Base) in MGSV: The Phantom Pain was one not taken lightly. Sure, all of those goodies, that material, those S-ranked staff members, would look far better if housed at your headquarters rather than at others’, but what about retaliation? Jenny Bloggs ain’t likely to take your thievery lightly and you couldn’t really blame her for wanting to settle the score. Enter “Event FOBs,” FOB infiltration missions designed by the game’s developers that render revenge attacks null and void. In essence: steal and swipe to your heart’s content without worrying about the repercussions. Now we’re talking.

Should you have a penchant for player-plundering performance, though, the update now allows you to infiltrate rival player’s FOBs without leaving a trace. Assuming you’ve got the cunning and sneaking prowess to avoid detection – and refrain from killing or extracting staff and/or damaging or extracting containers and equipment – you can now see out FOB missions without rival players being notified at all.

Other notable highlights the update adds are: new weapons and items, the specifics of which are yet to be confirmed, which can be upgraded to Grade 7, a new maximum level; night vision equipment for your security team staff; a broader, more varied range of Combat Deployment missions; and detailed breakdowns within the results screens of FOB missions.

If paying for progress is your thing, “MB coins” could previously be purchased for real money and can be used to buy things for your base, including the new FOB insurance service that’ll cover you for anything Jenny Bloggs manages to get her hands on. Also, if you feel FOB-building is taking too long you can use MBs to reduce construction times. Given the nature of FOB leaderboards, this sounds like it might stretch a little too far into pay-to-win territory.

We’ll have plenty of time to find out while console folk move on to Metal Gear Online, which is released today for XBone/PS4 but which won’t arrive on PC until January.

Check out the MGSV update page for more details of the above, or Alec’s recent forays into FOB invasion.

1. amateurviking says:

Down with this sorta thing.

• Creeping Death says:

Careful now!

• Lolsmurf says:

Cant wait for Jim Sterling to react on this. Thank god Konami is the biggest dumbshit games dev and publisher on this planet.
      They surpass EA by at least 3 lengths.

2. James says:

Just as I think Konami might finally fade to obscurity ’round these parts they do this. Say it with me: FucKonami

3. KDR_11k says:

So pay real money to have more FOBs and pay real money to keep it from getting wrecked…

Yeah, sure, you can earn the money via daily login bonuses, only takes like a year to accumulate enough.

• aleander says:

Fun part is, it feels really bad to pay money for an in-game advantage, but I would totally pay good money for that logo that I got for free.

4. Oakreef says:

lol no

5. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Ouch. That’s a really poor way to play it konami.

6. Chnams says:

Fuck this shit, really.

phuzz says:

So I can not bother with the FOBs and just play singleplayer right?

• LionsPhil says:

I’m sure an update is in the works to make sure that, while that remains technically true, “engagement” with FOBs is necessary for complete and timely progression.

• WALLS says:

The fun of the thing is to make your base better by stealing. ive yet to invade anyone elses or have it happen to me, and you can log out of the system so you can play in peace, but the base is the end game

• welverin says:

How do you log out on purpose? I’ve yet to see an option.

Unless that only shows up after you unlock the security team, which I have yet to do.

• aleander says:

In the pause menu, select “disconnect”. Also I’m pretty sure there was some switch in the options to keep the thing disconnected, but can’t check right now.

• welverin says:

I finally noticed that later in the day after asking.

130 hours in.

Really wish I had declined at the start, but didn’t realize I wouldn’t be able to change that decision later on. Of course I’ve got 140 hours in now and still haven’t reach the point where you start building FOBs.

Qazinsky says:

When you start up MGS5, you have to accept or Decline some terms, decline and the game will ask if you want to start in offline, that way you start the game up in offline with just one extra click.

• ArkanumZ says:

that does NOT work
        your base can and will be attacked even while you are offline or not playing the game
        lost count of the amount of times i got online to found out I had lost tons of shit from FOB invasions

• lordcooper says:

Well, just stay offline then. It’s risk/reward, you don’t get to just have the latter.

• aleander says:

You can. Unfortunately, FOBs are kinda fun, the boring mother base becomes 7 much more tricky maps than anything you’d see in the campaign. Oh, and a chance for a human opponent, to really mess your plans up. I’m very much a single-player kind of person, but I find the FOB mechanic surprisingly engaging — so screwing it up with pay to win stuff makes me sad.

• sandineyes says:

I keep seeing people ask this, and I think the aversion to the system is a bit foolish. I have never invaded another FOB, nor have I been invaded (having played since launch), so I’m not sure what sort of frequency someone should expect to experience it, but FOBs are far and away worth any risk they bring.

Each one (I assume this scales up, but I only have the one) gives you an extra 700 capacity for staff, and a decent boost to the capacities for different teams right off the bat, not to mention the extra two combat deployments you get.

Yes, it opens you up to some risk of losing staff, but when you have double the amount staff working, you will still have far and away higher level teams than if you forego the FOB system.

• ArkanumZ says:

I have been playing for a long time now, and, despite not giving a s*** about FOB stuff, I started to get invaded nearly constantly, even while offline
        loosing important S rank and above personal ( even motherbase people) and resources like crazy; its horribly intrusive, you have no way of backing out and the rewards do not make up for the risk at all.

• aleander says:

How developed your FOB is? If the security is tuned way down, you’re going to stick out like a sore thumb in the listings. But trying to invade a 4-deck platform (you always invade a specific platform, starting from the last deck) with all the security features on is quite hard, so only rather experienced people will try.

• Aetylus says:

The aversion is because you are forced to build a FOB… at which point you are effectively forced to maintain it in some form or have people nick your stuff regularly. Its just horrible implementation. I’m assuming they’ll release a paid DLC at some point allowing you to turn of the crappy compulsory feature… or maybe that it what the PvP insurance is for!

8. WiggumEsquilax says:

Kojima can’t leave you alone for 5 minutes, Konami. No wonder you wanted him gone.

9. Geebs says:

That’s a nice base you have there. It would be a shame if anything were to happen to it…

10. Hitchslapped says:

I think it’s pretty ridiculous that there isn’t anything in the singleplayer campaign that rivals the difficulty of a well equipped FOB, and that’s a shame. Why is this game so bloody easy?

• Synesthesia says:

I think it’s a matter of flow. If it were more punishing, I’m fairly sure it wouldn’t be as fun.

• Hitchslapped says:

Right now I could put in a god-mode cheat and I wouldn’t notice any difference. I died maybe 2-3 times at the beginning from testing out a few things but thats it. There’s a huge place between being punishing and having to actively try to get killed (which is where this game is right now)

• Synesthesia says:

I know. My comment still stands, though. I linked to this yesterday, I think he explains it quite well.

link to pentadact.com

“MGS V has most of the stealth genre’s most generous failsafes, plus an incredibly generous one of its own inserted at the crucial moment – Reflex Mode. The result is something like this:
          If a guard sees you, you get an ‘awareness’ indicator showing you where they are. If you reduce your visibility, that goes away completely and the guard won’t even investigate.
          If you stay in sight and/or make yourself more visible, the guard will very, very slowly come over to investigate. Even then, this alerts no-one else and doesn’t count against you in any score or performance metrics, and you don’t even have to move: going prone and using a ‘hide’ button makes you damn nearly invisible – I’ve had a guard stood 2 feet from me shining a torch directly on my body without spotting me in that mode.
          If they DO definitively see you and recognise you as an intruder, Reflex Mode puts the world in slowmo and you get a huuuuuuuuge amount of time to do something about it. Your view is snapped to the person who saw you, the yelp of recognition they make seems to be inaudible to other guards, and if you shoot them in the head with a quiet weapon (you start with two) in this ample time, no alert is triggered.
          If you fail to take them out in this time, or someone else sees them die, the surviving guard will yell. Others in earshot will be alerted, but no-one beyond that at this stage. Your default weapon is rapid fire, accurate and silenced, and if you can take out everyone who heard before they have a chance to radio, the alert is contained.
          Even if you do give them time to radio, it will do nothing if you’ve already taken out their communications equipment.
          Even if they manage to radio for reinforcements, it’s easy to run away and they won’t give chase.
          Even if you don’t run away, it’s quite possible to kill everyone without taking a hit.
          Even if you take a hit, your health regenerates for free.
          Even if you get hit a LOT – even if you get hit by a mortar – you only go into a ‘wounded’ state that restricts your movement but still gives you a chance to take everyone out.
          If you fuck that up, yeah, you’re dead.
          Listing it like that makes it sound absurd, but I really think this is one of the main reasons I and so many people end up having such a great time. Moving to these messier states creates stories of panic and improvisation, instead of frustrating game-overs. It’s the same reason it works in Invisible Inc.”

Turning reflex mode off turns the difficulty up quite a bit. There’s also a mod if you want to ramp things up even more.

• lupinewolf says:

Turn off reflex mode.

• Hitchslapped says:

Reflex mode has been off for quite some time now. So what? I get spotted more often than before now but it’s not like the enemies are good shots. I sprint to the next corner and kill the whole base instead. There’s rarely an enemy that tries to overrun me. Most of them just go into position and wait so I can one-shot them with a sniper one after the other.
        I even started using a low-level recruit without any usefull skills.

11. Chuck Grody says:

#NeverBeGameOver

We want story content, not this bullshit. Get it right Konami.

12. Bull0 says:

Don’t buy insurance, just back up your save regularly.

• LionsPhil says:

What makes you think your base state is held client-side?

• Bull0 says:

The fact that it works is a pretty big clue.

• mgsv player says:

He’s right, if you backup before going online and your fob has been attacked losing staff and resources simply copying the backup back to your machine will restore all your staff and resources..

13. Maxheadroom says:

I’ve had this sat unopened for a week as a present to myself for passing my Microsoft AD exam, which I did today( :-) ).

Don’t tell me it’s all turned into some microtransaction clusterfuck before I’ve even had change to play it?

How important are the online bits? Cant I choose to play offline and only invade NPC FoBs?

• lordcooper says:

There are no NPC FOBs. The online mode is all in or all out.

• SpoonySeeker says:

Yes there are. They were just released. If you actually bothered to read the article you would know that.

• aleander says:

There are, but as far as I can tell, you have to be online to invade them.

OTOH, they’re so easy (2 platforms, but no equipment), they’re almost 7 free S++ staff members.

• Bull0 says:

You can complete the game’s story without getting into the FOB stuff. It will make you set up one free FOB, and if you develop it a bit it will raise the levels of your staff units (unlocking research options, for example) and the rewards for successfully invading other players’ FOBs include high-level staff and large amounts of resources.

14. suibhne says:

Insurance works (when it does) by pooling risk across large groups of people, but the only risk here is what’s created by Konami’s conditions. This is more like a mob protection racket. It’s not insurance – it’s extortion.

• TechnicalBen says:

Which makes the legality of it rather murky.

Nope, I change my mind. It makes it illegal (so it must be sold under another banner, as “insurance” requires regulation where I’m sitting and I doubt they are matching up to it).

15. engion3 says:

Using battlesuit with auto grenade launcher and 7mm machine gun makes you robocop. I ride into bases blasting music annihilating everyone.

16. wraithgr says:

Man, I laughed so hard when I heard this… Konami breaking new ground in all the wrong ways…

17. ffordesoon says:

It’s like Konami is determined to live up to every stereotype of itself.

18. koeklimas says:

-bad story
    -unfinished
    -repetitive gameplay
    -microtransactions
    -no friend invite system on ps3 (which makes playing mgo on ps3 pretty much useless, as I I’ve abroad I spend all my online time with my brother)

This game has been a massive disappointment. I mistrust every single site that praised this game from now on.

This game