Futuristic Adventure Read Only Memories Is Out Now

Wearing its cyberpunk, retro point-and-click adventure game influence on its neon-stained sleeve, Read Only Memories [official site] wants to send you into the future to become a struggling freelance journalist. Living as one in the present, I can assure you it’s not the most glamorous of lifestyles, but if you wish to time travel to Neo-San Franciso 2046AD to find this out for yourself you can – Read Only Memories is out now.

Okay, so it’s not just about drinking coffee by the gallon and turning up to work in your underwear, Read Only Memories explores an Orwellian, Big Brother-inspired tale of conspiracy and unscrupulous authority after the world’s first sapient machine, a ROM – Relationship and Organizational Manager – named Turing inadvertently enters your life. Check out the game’s customarily 80s-styled launch trailer here:

When Graham got to grips with Read Only Memories’ demo this time last year, he enjoyed its multitude of genre-typical conversation trees and environmental descriptions and whilst he pointed to the game’s art style as resonant of something you’d see on the TurboGrafX, it also very much reminds me of the Atari II’s iteration of Tass Times in Tonetown.

Read Only Memories from developer MidBoss – the organisers of GaymerX – is available now from Steam, GOG and Humble, among others.

1. Lakshmi says:

The devs were giving away a few keys on twitter earlier via Diverse Games, so I snagged one. Loving it so far. Lots of depth in the world and the writing is fun.

2. Humppakummitus says:

It’s a bit cheaper on Gog:
    link to gog.com

Harlander says:

I really liked the demo of this, and I’ve got vague but unconfirmed memories of pre-ordering it.

So I’ll either be getting this shortly, or buying it if pre-ordering was just a weird dream of some kind.

4. Todd Hawks says:

So, is this really out on Steam? The article fails to mention it more than three times, so I still have doubts.

]i.e. you can also get it on GOG and I think RPS should refrain from such obvious preferential treatment of one store]

• TheCheese33 says:

Or you could buy it from Humble Store instead, which:
      A: nets you both DRM free and Steam copies
      B: Gives 10% of the purchase to charity
      C: Gives devs a better cut of the sales

Humble is such a remarkably better store than GOG at this point.

• Todd Hawks says:

Fair enough, I didn’t actually check where else it was available, just found the multiple *ON STEAM* (even in the headline) in the article a bit much.

Graham Smith says:

Apols. We normally try to link to multiple stores, but I missed in this instance that it was available elsewhere. Fixed!

• jayfear says:

They mention it in the wrap-up at the end, and talking about the most used platform in a review is pretty common practice. You’re not ‘fighting the man’, just wearing a very loud trilby.

binarycrusader says:

You can also get it on itch.io, which will also give you a steam key, and happens to give the developers the most money.

5. Shazbut says:

This could hardly look more like my thing. Buying

6. Timbrelaine says:

They certainly nailed the look. I think I’ll pick it up.

7. Yglorba says:

It looks heavily inspired by Snatcher (especially that screenshot of the shooting interface, of course.) Which is a good thing.

8. Risingson says:

“Wearing its cyberpunk, retro point-and-click adventure game”

This is not point and click. Point and click was a term that was coined when the adventure genre was already mature enough. Snatcher, which is the obvious reference of this one, was “just” an evolution of Portopia, the pioneer console adventure game. You know, oriental and occidental adventure games had a parallel evolution nearly as fascinating as jrpgs and crpgs.

Just nickpicking here. And yay for the style.