The Witcher 3: Hearts Of Stone Expansion Launch Trailer

The launch trailer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Hearts of Stone [official site] expansion has been unveiled and, as you might expect, it looks very pretty. It’s out one week from today on October 13 and before I go any further, why not pop down below and take a look for yourself?

Whilst Geralt et al have received a number of largely superficial updates since The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt released earlier this year, Hearts of Stone marks the first ‘proper’ DLC venture developers CD Projekt Red have sent our way so far. Whereas Cassandra was thoroughly impressed by the expansion’s exploration of heavier themes beyond combat when she went hands-on last month, the latest cinematic acts as a reminder that living in Novigrad can be a pretty cut-throat experience – a fact demonstrated quite literally here.

In a quest set to pack in “over 10 hours of new adventures”, slayer-for-hire Geralt has been tasked with butchering Olgierd von Everec, an immortal bandit captain who looks and sounds a bit like Arthur Shelby from Peaky Blinders. How that’s going to be possible – because, you know, this dude’s immortal – remains to be seen, but there’s sure to be new characters, new monsters, and a giant toad-like beast, apparently, along the way.

“Now don’t fuck this up,” ends the trailer. That’s a lot of pressure. But if anyone’s up to the task, I trust Geralt is.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Hearts of Stone is due October 13 on Steam, Humble Store, and GOG for £7.99 across the board.

1. SMGreer says:

I’m pretty much more excited about this brief expansion to The Witcher 3 than any of the years major upcoming releases.

Any excuse to return.

• aepervius says:

Same here. The two awaited stuff I have for the next month or more, is wasteland 2 director cut and the witcher 3 expansion. Makes you wonder.

• trashmyego says:

Same. I’m excited for this, the Wasteland 2 Director’s Cut (loved what I played of the vanilla game, but it got shelved to make time for others when I learned of the enhancement), and Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. Really hoping the D:OSEE’s writing overhaul brings it closer to the brilliant gameplay.

2. K33L3R says:

Cool :) This looks great
    And I really have no time to play it… :(

3. karachokarl says:

The new villain seems a fair way off the tone of the original Witcher 3. Will be interesting to see, whether they pull it off, or if it will feel out of place, like a 60s Bond movie villain in an otherwise very grim and gritty place.

Hopefully it will end up as rich and facetted in its stories as quest line of the the Bloody Baron, which was superb and sadly also the best quest line in the game thus far.

4. anHorse says:

Shit it’s october already, this seemed so far away when I was finishing the game.

Now it seems too soon after such a big experience

5. dysomniak says:

I went ahead and dropped the $25 on the expansion pass, even though I may not get around to this right away because the $30 I paid for W3 was just too little. My big dilemma (other than needing to finish up MGSV before going back) is that I’m not sure whether I should play the DLC on my completed save file or on NG+…

• karachokarl says:

I read on reddit, that the recommended level to do the DLC is 60ish if you are in NG.

So unless you have played NG a fair bit already it is probably safer to wait for the DLC to drop.

• dysomniak says:

My NG+ is only lvl 39 (still haven’t talked to the Baron even) so it would take me a while to get there. Still going to have to see how I feel once the DLC is out and I’ve managed to tear myself away from MGS.

I may push through though, as the extra difficulty in NG+ (even though I switched to Death March some time before finishing the first playthrough) makes the game a lot more interesting.

6. Suits says:

Stopped halfway and restarted on Death March, wonder if I can make it in time for Fallout, heh

• GepardenK says:

That depends on what real-life you have and/or, more importantly, what real-life you are willing to have remaining after what is usually refereed to as “the months of darkness”

Unrelated, death march is really where W3 shines imo

7. kud13 says:

Stopped right before replaying the ending sequence of my first run, b/c I want to see how this slots into the main game. Really wish we got this before the 13th, since 12th is a long weekend in Canada

8. EdNauseam says:

Can’t wait to jump back in and slay some monsters, oh and harass complete strangers into playing gwent with me.

• yeahdirk says:

I love that you can ask people to play Gwent at the most ridiculous times.

Hey, I see you’re planning a guerilla attack while holed up in this cave with your special forces unit. Gwent?
      Hey, we’ve buried your child and handled all of the resultant supernatural unpleasantness, you must be emotionally exhausted. Gwent?
      Hey, old friend, I know I haven’t seen you in ages and I just stole (and desecrated) a very valuable artifact from your laboratory before running in to you just now, I hope you can forgive me. Anyway, Gwent?

• bleeters says:

I was legitimately disappointed I couldn’t ask Letho to play Gwent.

• bleeters says:

Come to think of it, I want a mod that lets me challenge anyone to Gwent any time I like, so I can ruin every important scene by asking if they’re up for a game of cards.

• yeahdirk says:

I was legitimately surprised when I wasn’t given the chance to challenge Eredin to a round of Gwent.

• EdNauseam says:

Eredin: “He set us against each other.. and he’s made off with Cir-

Geralt: “Round of Gwent”?

9. neotribe says:

Still waiting to play Witcher III, as I’ve been waiting to upgrade my hardware. In the process of swapping out my i7 920 for a Xeon 5680 (which are on fire sale these days), and I feel like six cores at around 4gHz (after a mild OC) ought to be enough CPU wise. Currently have 12GB of memory, but after the CPU swap 16GB or 24GB *should* be addressable if needed. In the GPU department, I currently have a GTX 770 4GB. Will that be enough to play W3 at high settings at 1080p on the couch (I tend to prefer a gamepad in Witcher games) or do I need to wait for Black Friday or the winter sales and cough up the cash for a GTX 980ti to get a good looking game at decent framerates?

• neotribe says:

TL;DR — if anyone here is playing W3 at 1080p on an older, but reasonably fast CPU — what did you need in terms of RAM and GPU to get good quality and performance? I trust RPS readers with a playthrough under their belts much more than the threads Google is finding.

• that_guy_strife says:

I assume you don’t already own the game ? You should just get a ”free” version to try it out.

• Atomica says:

I have a Phenom II 955 BE on stock 3.2 GHz paired with a new (to me) 750Ti and it works fine. Previously the game was unplayable with a Radeon 5750 (I got 15 fps at best, even on 720p) but now it works pretty well at 1080p. I haven’t checked the frame rate in detail yet as I have only just begun the game, but it’s very playable.

I imagine if you want to drive the game at higher than 1080p you’ll need better hardware than what I have, but as far as I can tell I’m not massively limited by the CPU.

10. that_guy_strife says:

Oh please God not a timed underwater event. The swimming is abysmal in that game.