12 Is Better Than 6 Hits Kickstarter Goal (Updated)

Update: So, it did hit its Kickstarter goal with days to spare, and now a bunch of people have pulled their funding and so it’s back under its target again. Huh! That’s odd.

Original story:

12 Is Better Than 6 [official site] is a beautifully hand-drawn, gun-toting, poncho-sporting undertaking into what seems like the perpetually acrimonious world of the wicky-wicky-Wild West.

Although grossly different visually, its top-down, blood-fest aesthetic might remind you of Hotline Miami, and the fact that it takes place in 1873 might remind you of Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Needless to say, we’d win hands-down in a shootout, but I suppose 12 Is Better Than 6 deserves some credit for its recent Kickstarter success.

When Adam first rode into town earlier this year, he commended the shooting segments of 12 Is Better Than 6, whilst he bemoaned its stealth for being a bit tedious. Having spent a while in the demo myself, I feel the same – the game shines with its finger on the trigger.

Over the course of the game’s Kickstarter campaign, however, developer Ink Stains Games added free level demos as updates which appear to have recognised this, focussing more on the action elements of play. They work much better.

Speaking to the Kickstarter success, Anton Grischenko, the lead programmer at developer Ink Stains Games, had this to say: “With 12 is Better Than 6 now funded, it means that our life long dream will now become a reality and we can share our love of classical western movies and action games with the world!”

He then spoke about enjoying a vodka shot or two in celebration, which seems like more of a punishment to me but each to their own.

If, like me, you’ve been stuck wondering what 12 Is Better Than 6 actually means, it’s this:

To be judged by 12 means that you get to go to court, where you’ll be judged by a jury of 12 people who will ultimately decide upon your fate.

To be carried by 6 is to be dead. Why? You see, it is common for 6 people to carry a coffin (3 people on each side) to and from the hearse.

Our hero would rather kill someone and go to jail for it than be killed and have to be buried.

That’s what it says on the game’s website anyway, which also houses this gameplay trailer:

1. WHS says:

…the six isn’t a reference to six-shooters?

Weird name, weird explanation.

2. Flatley says:

The full expression is “Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6” and it’s common in military/police circles (in the USA, at least). Take from that what you want.

I think a more natural interpretation of the phrasing is “better to have 2 pistols than 1.” Oh well, it’s their game.

• Jaakar says:

It’s probably most commonly used amongst firearm owners. It’s usually used as a response to questions like “should I carry my gun on me in ?”. The response (better 12 than 6) implies that it would be better to be caught with the gun and possibly face prison time than to be caught without the gun and possibly face death (due to not having a gun with which to defend oneself).

I know most people on here aren’t from the US, so for you guys, it’s a very common saying here (at least in states where gun culture is encouraged). I instantly knew what the name meant, so it’s really not as obscure as many seem to think.

• Jaakar says:

Well that didn’t work. Should have said “can I carry my gun on me in (place where guns are discouraged/banned)?”.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

“enjoying a vodka shot or two… seems like more of a punishment” Well, if he’s enjoying it, it isn’t a punishment, unless he’s a masochist. Are you implying that he’s a masochist :P?

As for the game, it’s quite hard to make good stealth levels, I’ve played great games that became nowhere near as fun to play when you got to a stealth level. Unless you devote some special gameplay mechanics, it just feels tacked on.

Adding demos as updates is quite novel and actually a great idea, since it decreases the uncertainty about how the game is like, that’s always attached to kickstarter projects. Although, demos can also, like bad stealth levels, give a worse impression of a game than it deserves.

4. Lombar says:

Honestly? This game seems like one of those boring flash games I played on kongregate (or one of those websites) when I was really young. I cant see why someone would pay to play this…

And also, if I click in the link, I see that the project’s not yet founded.. it’s missing 5k £ and 50 hours to go. Am I missing something?

5. AyeBraine says:

You know what’s funny, there’s another local version of this saying in Russia (and these guys are Russian, judging by the name, the beverage, and the first-level domain of their game at least).

It goes like this: “I’d rather be judged by 3 than carried by 4” (Лучше пусть трое судят, чем четверо несут). It’s a prison/professional criminal saying. Of course, since jury courts were re-introduced here only in 1991, the “12 to 6” variant is much less prevalent.

Although it seems to come to be used also by conscientous objectors and various militia members (who also resist the draft).

6. HothMonster says:

Weird, when I go to their kickstarter page it says they have made $16,646 of their $22,931 goal with 49 hours to go…

7. KevinLew says:

When you have to provide a FAQ to explain the title of your game, then that means nobody gets your reference. It means your game’s title just confuses people which is a really bad way to market your game, and you should change it.

Phasma Felis says:

“Better 12 Than 6” would have at least flowed better.

8. eripmav says:

Unfortunately, one of the big backers had their pledge cancelled. They’ve no idea why.

9. gsvelto says:

I disagree with the title, six is the perfect number.

10. Fenix says:

I like the aesthetics of a predominantly white game with bright red splashing, but one thing that worries me a lot is the fact that in the trailer the player character seems to be able to withstand many bullets before dying, which I find unappealing.

11. Zaxwerks says:

…when Paddington turned violent.

12. eggy toast says:

The title of the game states that this game full of tough guy gun singers would rather surrender to the lawful authorities and be judged by a jury of their peers than to die guns blazing.

I like wild west shooting games but the title alone is so antithetical to the ethos of the wild west that I will definitely pass on this one.