Pathologic Classic HD “Remasters” The Original

This is slightly strange. Pathologic is one of our favourite RPGs, but the original release wasn’t without its flaws. That’s why it’s exciting that original developers Ice-Pick Lodge are working on a ground-up remake, which they Kickstarted last year. But there’s also now Pathologic Classic HD, a remaster rather than a remake, which polishes the existing game with a new translation, new voice acting and updated graphics. Find the trailer below.

This seems odd to me when there’s already a remake on the way, but perhaps that will offer a distinct enough experience that the original still has value on its own. If that’s the case, then a polished version – a definitive version, says the press release hopefully – makes sense. Especially one that cleans up the game’s worst flaws.

There’s no release date as yet, but it’ll be available from Steam, GOG and Humble and cost $12.99 / £9.99 / €12.99.

1. Xan says:

As a useful link, here’s the announcement of the remake, with the rationale, in a KS post.

2. Troika says:

Yay!
    P.s.
    They explain the reasoning behind this move here:
    link to kickstarter.com

basilisk says:

Here’s a more detailed statement from IPL, which should explain the confusion:
    link to kickstarter.com

To make a long story short, they’re doing this so they can make more radical changes in the remake where needed; preserving the original so that the two versions stand side-by-side rather than one being a direct upgrade of the other.

4. mukuste says:

So I guess if I already own Pathologic on GOG, I’d need to rebuy this remastered version?

• bonuswavepilot says:

Not necessarily! From their replies in the Kickstarter comments:

We are currently working on a solution for the people who already have the game in their GOG library.

Please do keep in mind that Pathologic Classic HD is actually a new release with a new publisher, with a lot of work being put into it, so it’s not yet clear as to how we can compensate the people who purchased the very first GOG release.
      But that is definitely something that we want—and are doing our best—to do.

• evilsooty999 says:

I hope it ends up as a free upgrade as I bought the original on GOG and had to abandon it as the translation was the worst I have ever seen in a game. We aren’t just talking about small grammatical errors or typos; parts of it were like they had just put it through Google translate and hoped for the best.

I’ll give it another go if it gets updated with this which really is the least they could do as it should never have been released to the English market in its current state.

• Fomorian1988 says:

I suspect it will – I bought Broken Sword 2 before the remastered version was released and my purchase “copy” was updated to include both installers to the old version and the new version.

• BlazeL says:

And still, sometimes games on GOG do not get upgraded when a remaster comes to steam. Especially when a different publisher is handling it. Last example of this is KOTOR 2.

5. Ben King says:

I’d still like to try to get some of this game under my belt. I bought it from GOG earlier this year and found it pretty much impossible to grasp… But the game world still seems really fascinating. If this improved translation comes as an inexpensive update to my version i would be really interested in giving it a try again, and IPL’s KS update gives me a better sense of just how different a game their remake will be.

6. internisus says:

It’s very cool of Ice-Pick Lodge to release this because it’s intended to be a fixed, final version of this previously broken classic that can exist separately from the forthcoming remake and whatever creative changes it will bring. Some people were apprehensive about the prospect of altering Pathologic’s vision; this is a great compromise and a fine act of game preservation.

By the way, you can still back the remake to pre-order it while making it better and more robust! I would love to see it hit some more stretch goals. link to pathologic-game.com

7. The Sombrero Kid says:

They make clear in the post to backers of the remake that this re-release is more about preservation, the remake is about improvement.

8. Kefren says:

I love their attitude to it:

“Change is inevitable—and it is inevitably controversial. What may seem obsolete or redundant to us, can also be dear and important for someone else (and vice versa). Taking “the Pathologic you know and love” away from you with the Remake is the last thing we want to do, but we also need the freedom to make new creative choices without looking back at every step. […] Thus a solution was conceived: to make the original game accessible by fixing the major issues that were disallowing that (compatibility bugs, visual glitches—and the translation, of course). This way, the original Pathologic will always be available to you even if you come to disagree with the changes made in the Remake. And if you haven’t played it at all, you’ll have a chance to get to know the game that has defined us as a studio. We believe this to be a fair compromise.”

That’s the perfect solution – original game that works well but is not changed; then a funkier revamp option. Everyone can pick what they prefer. Reminds me of the opposite with Doom 3, where they removed the old version and replaced it, but the new one had problems, there were lots of complaints, then they had to reinstate the old one too to calm people down, apparently surprised that people might prefer the old. Much better to realise that at the start!

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m very, very glad that I bought Doom 3 when it was available on disc, because the new version didn’t seem to add much of worth, but rather the opposite. I heard that the BFG version wasn’t compatible with mods for the original Doom 3 and, for me, that’s possibly the worst thing they could have done.

Without mods, Doom 3 is merely good and best played in shorter sessions, since walking around one cramped corridor after another looking for keycards (well, PDA security clearances, but same deal) got tedious after an hour or two. I don’t know if that mod incompatibility got fixed, but it wouldn’t change anything, I’d still not get it.

• dethtoll says:

Mod incompatability never got fixed, no. But Doom 3 is a fine game on its own and they solved some of the more pressing issues with it with BFG edition.

Still no subtitles though, but I guess the Doom wiki’s there to help me with audiologs.

9. jj2112 says:

Yes! I’m looking forward to playing it. I’ve got the original but haven’t played it due to the translation problems and the need to tweak the widescreen settings.

10. Shazbut says:

I like how in their statement they say…

“We are still not entirely sure as to how our English-speaking players have managed to enjoy the game at all”

• magogjack says:

Everytime you read those words an Ubisoft executive is banished from this realm.

11. Juan Carlo says:

The game was in dire need of a new translation. That alone is probably worth the upgrade (if it was done well).

12. ResonanceCascade says:

Well, that’s an easy purchase decision. It also makes me even more excited for the remake, since it’s clearly going to be much more than that now.

13. caff says:

Strange timing – I just upped my donation to the remake.

14. lokimotive says:

I think it’s worth noting that Ice Pick Lodge makes it very clear that the funding for this project, and the work put into it was entirely separate from the Kickstarter project. I’m very satisfied with the way that Ice Pick Lodge is handling this Kickstarter in general. Their updates are interesting, their process is quite transparent, and they were very open and realistic about a launch date (time, of course, will tell if they actually meet their original goal of Fall 2016, but it seems much more reasonable than a lot of kickstarter campaigns).

15. Alien says:

A new translation?

Will there also be a new German translation? The German translation was based on the English translation and was even worse…

16. catharsis says:

This is all I ever wanted in the first place. What an awesome cherry on top.