Quetz Is A New Dinosaur In ARK: Survival Evolved

Following last week’s rather extensive update, ARK: Survival Evolved [official site] has welcomed a new species of dinosaur to its shores – a “massive flying battleship” creature identified as Quetzalcoatlus that goes by the synonym Quetz.

Although I’d have to question the physical plausibility of this particular beast – something we’ve put to experts in the past – hopping aboard a Quetz and taking to the skies does look like fun, if the trailer below is anything to go by.

Graham has previously pointed out the refreshing yes-man approach Studio Wildcard have taken with ARK: Survival Evolved’s development, and Quetzalcoatlus seems to further fit that bill. A flying pterodactyl-like dino with a huge head that can fly whilst carrying a supply load/gun turrets roughly twice or thrice its weight? Done.

Whilst mounting these carnivorous, “skittish”, fellows is sure to entertain on a cursory level – because adding flying to video games is obviously the coolest thing ever – quicker navigation between bases adds a degree of practicality to their inclusion.

Then again, chasing otherwise terrifying land-based juggernauts from the safety of the skies whilst you’re manning a rail gun, as depicted in the trailer, looks like a right laugh. “What is the secret to survival?” is a question posed on the game’s website – I can’t be sure but the aforementioned scenario must come close.

ARK: Survival Evolved lives on Steam Early Access and cost £22.99. A 33% discount which ends tomorrow means it’s £15.40 for the next several hours.

1. Spakkenkhrist says:

Pterosaurs weren’t dinosaurs, and pterodactyls were a sub-group and not a specific animal.

I know almost nobody here cares about this though.

• Vivian says:

It IS sort of pterodactyl-like though (or at least more so than Rhamphorhynchus-like), so that’s sort of correct. But no, it’s an archosaur, but it’s not a dinosaur.

• Vivian says:

Also Pterodactylus is an actual genus.

• Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

Yeah he’s really smart.

• gunny1993 says:

Well Genus is still a grouping so not an actual animal.

Erm I was going to make a comparison to Homo but it really just sounded like a well worded hate speech so i’ll just leave this here and hope you get the point.

• gunny1993 says:

THe only reason I know that is because of “Welcome to Nightvale” podcastXD

• Villephox says:

Yeah, people need to stop calling pterosaurs dinosaurs. Pterosaurs are pterosaurs. They’re nested within the archosaur group along with dinosaurs and others.

• DrollRemark says:

I’m too busy being irritated by the mismash of Aztec with a token Latin suffix.

2. 2late2die says:

I’m gonna be that guy – there is no way that that is physically viable. That may be a silly thing to say about a game where you can tame and ride dinosaurs, but honestly, it doesn’t look that cool either – it looks too cartoonish. I like the look of the creature itself, but if I were to ever tame one I doubt I’d ever outfit it with such huge cannons.

Oh and is it me or does the music have notes of The Avengers theme?

3. Traddles says:

It’s interesting to me that, judging from recent updates I’ve seen, Studio Wildcard just continues to add more dinosaurs, more biomes, more items, etc… while the ABYSMAL optimization, ugly UI, clunky EVERYTHING, and unintuitive mechanics just keep getting ignored?

Have I missed something? I understand that the majority of system optimization will come later down the line, but when I last played the game (the STEAM free weekend), it came off as a very pretty and exciting mess. Are these content updates addressing any of these mechanical problems?

• Lobotomist says:

However they are adding stuff every week. For example this one was not only the Quetz, it was also automatic sniper rifle , and tranquilizing dart bullets.

As for GUI/UI – its usually done so that during Beta a functional but ugly one is used and only replaced with polished version at launch.

• Michael Anson says:

They are improving the performance of both the client and server software at a fairly steady pace. The most recent update included a change to the server in how it handled certain tasks, yielding significant performance improvements in high-population servers. Two patches ago, they introduced client-side improvements. There are improvements for those using nVidia cards in the works, but nVidia is dragging its feet on updating the drivers, something that has been in the wings for over four months now.

• fish99 says:

Of all the times they’ve mentioned optimization in the patch notes, only once or twice did I actually see a framerate increase. The main improvement was when they discovered everyones cards were dropping to 2D clock rates when running the game, which got most people a >20% improvement when fixed. Other than that though I don’t think the optimizations have amounted to much.

There’s still areas on the island that see my FPS drop to under 20 fps on a 970, although it’s mostly 30-40 fps on the beaches. And that’s offline. Online with player buildings everywhere it’s worse.

• shayne.oneill says:

Yeah I know the optimization is a bit screwy, but thats to be expected. Good project management tends to dictate the optimizationb and speed-freak hacks go at the *end* of the development cycle when the broad strokes of the software are in and the basic functionality works. At the moment they are still working on the content. Their release date is set for next year some time, and part of that includes console releases. What this means is, if they are going to actually release on console, and they seem determined to do it, they’ll need to optimize the heck out of it. Thats good news for the PC master race too, because those optimizations flow back into our clients.

I’m running a cruft GT-750 on a bargain basement AMD chipset and 8 gigs of ram, and it runs a decent 30fps on medium settings and 1080p. I expect that’ll get up to 60fps on release, and on high for non crufty GPUs

4. Cinek says:

LOL, these bases are bigger (in volume and weight at a very least) than the pterosaur itself.

WTF?!

5. mukuste says:

This game looks more and more fun and the current sale price is tempting, but I’m afraid that it’d kill my PC dead, going off the reports that even people with GTX 970’s have troubles getting it to run well.

Also, the grind sounds a bit off-putting.

• zachdidit says:

970 owner with a 3 year old I7 processor here and it runs well on high settings ~40-60 FPS depending on how much is going on. The main thing holding me from getting back into it is the grind though. I’m pretty put off at the prospect of having to re-level a new character on a server where people are probably walking around with rexes and whatnot.

• Michael Anson says:

The difficulty is with all nVidia cards at the moment, and it’s due to a driver issue that they were working with nVidia to correct. It’s been waiting for release for a few months now, nVidia is kinda dragging their feet on release.

• fish99 says:

The nvidia issue only affects DX12 which is currently missing from the game. That’s nothing to do with why the game runs poorly in DX11 on both nvidia and AMD.

6. raiders says:

Yes, I too, will be good enough to ride one of those someday.

7. Dilapinated says:

I love that they’ve included them, but it is tarnished a little by the sheer silliness of mounting houses and the like on their backs. Not for realism reasons, it just looks.. Odd. Like having a Deathclaw carrying a large tank around. Deathclaw still cool, tank a bit Off.

8. melancholicthug says:

Wow, just like that book Dinotopia, anyone remembers it? It rocked my tiny kid brain back in my wee years.