Astroneer Trailer Offers Details Of Planetary Survival

Curse my rush to share pretty things. It was only a few days ago that I wrote a post about the attractive GIFs of Astroneer [official site], a game about surviving on another planet by building a base and deforming terrain. Had I know that a trailer would arrive by the end of the week, I might have resisted. Watch it below –

When I wrote about it last, there wasn’t even an official site, only a few short looping GIFs that gave an impression of what you might do in the game. Now we have more detail:

The sudden development of technology for rapid space travel enables fast and inexpensive journeys to the stars. Exo Dynamics, the dominant conglomerate in the new field, has opened flights to daring citizens of Earth. Like the Yukon gold rush of old, waves of adventurers sign up to launch themselves into a new frontier, risking everything to seek their fortune in the far reaches of the galaxy. These are the Astroneers.

As an Astroneer, you must find a way to dig out a life on one of a multitude of harsh new worlds. Blast through the terrain to uncover precious artifacts and materials you can use to fuel your quest to become a wealthy baron in the stars. Along the way, discover oddities, raise questions, and uncover mysteries.

Perhaps not all is as it seems.

Which sounds intriguing, though the trailer is more concrete: you’ve got magic powers that let you make holes or hills, and which let you float and click together machine parts in order to construct your own space bases. I especially like the look of the storm towards the latter half, which appears to wipe away both you and your base; I hope that’s a dynamic event you have to prepare against rather than something scripted. The screenshots through on the official site also make clear that multiplayer will be possible, too.

1. Capitán Indie says:

oohh Nice the Martian Survival Simulator. I’m in!

2. GernauMorat says:

looks excellent, will keep an eye on it.

3. TechnicalBen says:

Does look like we are hitting a (dare I say?) golden age of gaming.

Some really nice concepts being made into real games. Both the processing power and the software tools making it easier to do complex things. Like the entire planet and physics based in this game.

Though not always successful, it does allow some really nice games to be made with robust mechanics. (Grown Home, KSP etc)

• Kollega says:

I think it’s mainly thanks to democratization of the game-making and game-distributing processes. Nowadays, thanks to the robust tools available for no-pennies and the Internet, any bedroom coder or struggling artist can have a shot at making their own game and possibly strike gold with it. What a time to be alive.

• draglikepull says:

Art is still a fairly major bottleneck, in my opinion. While there are lots of tools that have simplified the programming/engine side of things, art is still a very time-intensive process that requires a skill set that’s quite difficult to acquire if you don’t have the natural propensity for it. And I’d guess that there are way more programmers looking for artists than there are artists looking for programmers (kind of like how there are always way more people who want to start a band than there are drummers who want to be in one).

Phasma Felis says:

Minecraft has shown that it’s at least possible to get by without much in the way of art, if the game is good enough. And for every gorgeous pixel extravaganza like Braid or World of Goo, you’ve a successful game whose art is merely serviceable (FTL) or extremely minimalistic (Superhot, I guess?). There are ways to work around some of the demands of art.

• Cik says:

Correct. Art will show early attention, but game-play breadth and depth elements trump it in the long-run with sustainability.

• darkshadow42 says:

Certainly is the case, there are a ton of great games coming out around now. Why couldn’t this have been the case 5 years earlier when I didn’t have to worry about things like having a job etc…

I now barely have the time to play half of the games that are being made now.

4. Kollega says:

Hm. I’m not really interested in this game (please don’t hit me, guys), but those graphics… it’d be so awesome if someone made a procedurally-generated spiritual successor to Crimson Skies with those kinda graphics.

Come to think of it, why is that we only have BOMB as a contender for the title of “the next Crimson Skies”? Surely it’s such an untapped vein of nostalgic awesomeness for indies to explore!

5. DailyFrankPeter says:

Oh, I’m going to like this one.

6. Urthman says:

The tech is completely ready for someone to make a proper Magic Carpet sequel.

7. c-Row says:

But when?!

8. Jay Load says:

Okay. I was a bit dismissive of this when first I set eyes upon it. But yes, this does indeed look like fun times. When, please, may I be permitted to pur-chase?

• DedlySpyder says:

I believe the site says next spring (read it earlier this week and on my phone atm).

teije says:

Oh me like. Will follow.

10. NephilimNexus says:

Not convinced. Seems to be taking the KSP route of cuteness over content.

Phasma Felis says:

Nothing about that sentence makes sense.

• WaytoomanyUIDs says:

Have you played KSP in the last 5 years? There are things you can argue about, lile the way the Career Mode is structured and if it’s even needed, but lack of content is not one of them. And there is a metric Fucktonnne of mods if you need more content

11. Timbrelaine says:

Great art style. Low-poly done right. Hopefully the game lives up to its promise.