This War Of Mine Update 1.4 Improves Scenario Editor

This War Of Mine [official site] is a sobering experience. Like most of us, I’ve never been involved in an actual war, thus any knowledge I have regarding the atrocities of conflict has been accrued from modern media. This War Of Mine may be a fictional, video game take on these realities, but its Sims’-esque slant on war zone resource management delivers something which, at the very least, feels real from a position of relative ignorance.

Update 1.4, named “New Beginning”, adds Steam Workshop support, meaning players can now share the scenarios they invent in the game’s editor suite.

Of course, having just re-read Alec’s This War Of Mine review from last year, I realise he did a better job of articulating the above, so much so that I’m going to repeat it here: “And it’s The Sims, mostly, but transplanted from consumerist America to an unspecified (but apparently Eastern European) nation shattered by conflict. Your characters’ motivations, then, are not a bigger telly, a sprint up the career ladder or blurred-out nookie with the neighbour’s wife, but simply eating, sleeping, staying warm, not getting killed by illness or invader. Even toileting isn’t a priority here.”

By adding Steam Workshop functionality, the patch brings with it expansions to the Scenario Editor, introducing more diverse characters – something developer 11 Bit Studios hopes will help players “create more personalised stories”. What’s more, the update adds three new languages: Korean, Japanese and Turkish.

Moving forward, 11 Bit Studios also point to the fact that they’re developing modding tools for This War Of Mine, and that more details on this will be announced as they go. Full details of the update can be watched here:

1. Bracknellexile says:

I lost so many hours to this game when it first came out, definitely one of my games of 2014/15. Fantastic to see it get a new breath of life. Hopefully the new content will be enough to bring back that raw, harrowing, storytelling feeling that you get when you first play it.

Eventually the veneer was worn away and it was just a case of playing the numbers and gaming systems underneath the story but it’ll be great if the mods and new scenarios can bring back that feeling of melancholy and despair, living in the balance.

2. anHorse says:

“realities”

This is still the game that focuses around fictionalised threats like violent looters right?

• The-Fletch says:

It might not be a reality for you but it doesn’t mean these types of threats don’t exist to somebody.

• ChairmanYang says:

I can’t find the link, but someone interviewed an actual survivor of the siege of Sarajevo, and they talked about how this game was not at all reflective of their experience there. People stuck together and helped each other as much as possible. I mean, it should be obvious from the numbers: in the real siege, less than 2% of the civilian population was killed in nearly 4 years, and that doesn’t fit at all with the bloodiness of the game.

• TobleroneRoloCombo says:

Honestly, with the unpleasant cynical tone to the game, combined with how unrealistic it is in relation to real life (despite the game’s marketing insisting to the contrary,) I just generally feel put off the game.

3. Brisco County Jr says:

Its a great game. One of the best that I have ever played and I play a lot of games. If you like games that are survival with heart and you pass on it you are missing out. Trading, crafting, and sneaking around and all the while trying to keep yourself and others alive. Weeks of fun for me and still going.

4. brutaldeluxe09 says:

I’m playing this for the first time now and I really really like it, it’s absolutely devastating at times, when you are forced to make a decision that goes against what you believe in but that feeling is so rare in games that it really should be experienced.