Broforce Bursts Out Of Early Access Next Week, Celebrates With Power Ballad

When we last visited Broforce [official site], it’d just dropped a July update in time for ‘Murica’s fourth of July celebrations. At the time, Alice noted that developer Free Lives understood Independence Day the only way a studio hailing from South Africa could: with copious amounts of guns and dodgy American-cum-Australian-cum-Scottish voiceovers. South Africans discussing Americanisms can be hilarious. This power ballad-inspired trailer to mark Broforce’s full release on October 15 is pretty funny too.

The Ballad of Rambro, as it’s known, typifies Broforce’s playful, satirical swipe at American Hollywood-isms and has a Team America: World Police vibe about it. APPARENTLY, US Department of Defense Secretary Ashton Carter had this to say of the news that Broforce is to leave Early Access: “Broforce is the culmination of decades of American military superiority distilled into one sweet ass motherfucking video game. It’s even got versus mode and online co-op, bro.”

If you enjoyed the above sounds from Broforce musician Deon van Heerden, a special “ultra patriotic” Freedom EP – a five-track album of Broforce music – can be yours. If you purchase Broforce during its Early Access tenure, which runs until next week, the Freedom EP is free and stands as a thank you to those involved pre-full release. You can collect your copy up until October 15, thereafter it will apparently be “prohibitively expensive” but “that’s capitalism for you”.

Broforce is still currently on Steam Early Access for £11.99 and is due to launch October 15.

1. Jakkar says:

For those on the fence, someone you don’t know (me!) thinks this is a very entertaining game, that man’s moustache notwithstanding.

It has weight, impact, rarr, humour, solid platforming physics and wonderful demolition at ridiculous speed, and dying is generally a cheering prospect as it means you get to do it all again!

2. GernauMorat says:

Broforce is fantastic.

3. Kefren says:

I was surprised at how good the game is. I’ve instaleld it and played through with each major update (last time to play the Aliens levels, cool, reminded me of Turrican). The one feature I would love would be to turn off auto character switching. You need to rescue bros (since each one is an extra life), but you immediately become that new bro – I’m often having fun with the existing one, and want to complete the whole level as him or her. An option to stay as the starting bro for the whole level, or to only switch when you lose a life (rather than when you rescue someone) would be easy to implement and let people have more control of their bros. Otherwise – addictive and fun!

• thekelvingreen says:

Well, that’s intriguing. I miss Turrican and while the world is swamped with Metroid clones, I haven’t found anything that evokes the greatness of Manfred Trenz’ series.

4. LionsPhil says:

He really, really doesn’t have the voice to pull that off.

5. Xzi says:

Broforce is an absolute masterpiece as a co-op. Probably not quite as fun single-player, but it definitely keeps your attention either way.

6. Arathorn says:

I’ve had a blast with Broforce during its early access phase, but the later alien missions are bloody annoying (especially the one with the sandworm jumping up from the ground all the time), so I do hope there will be some way to skip levels.

7. Bobtree says:

I loved the freebie Expendabros, which apparently is still available on Steam (it was set to expire last December). Broforce is very high on my wishlist.

8. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Broforce has been my go-to little time waster for over a year now. It’s an amazing accomplishment, to take such a good and simple 2D shooter and expand on it again and again with more characters, new enemies, every imaginable multiplayer mode and still keep it fun.

keepin’ it fun.

9. thekelvingreen says:

I know it’s a parody, but that video isn’t far off what I imagine a US entry to Eurovision would be like.

• rodan32 says:

Eh, things are still pretty emo here in the old US of A. I think the power ballad is a lost art.

particlese says:

Dude, I love this American stereotype stuff! Moving across the pond, I’ve discovered that not only are we loud, fat, psychotic gunmen, but we’re also layed-back cowboys and great scientists and things! Kind of inspiring at times…

Then there’s the more visual stuff like this trailer, which amuses me to no end. Along similar lines, an American-themed restaurant in town had an ad which featured a glorious collage of our flag (half a dozen, more likely, but it was a while ago), the Statue of Liberty, the Golden Gate Bridge, a bald eagle, some other stereotypical things, and my favorite part due to the utter lack of majesty: an American-football player.

11. Spacewalk says:

Well, free is free but I’ve already got Cat Scratch Fever and 1984.

12. jonfitt says:

I’ve had the alpha since it went on sale. The early demo was enough to convince me of Broforce’s charms.
    It’s been my go-to game for those evenings when I just want something fun to blast through. The drip feed of additional content has kept me coming back. It’ll be sad when it is complete!

The thing which surprised me is that it’s not totally a twitch/skill platform shooter. It can actually be quite cerebral. Given a particular Bro and a situation it can be beneficial to slow down and stealth a section, not go in all guns blazing!
    Other times you ride the explosive bull and demolish everything!

There are a couple of newer bosses which are frustrating, but that was true of some earlier bosses which have been smoothed out in updates.

Levels are pretty short so it’s never too punishing, but sometimes you get given the absolute worst Bro for the job and can end up boned. That’s possibly not an issue in coop?

• Michael Anson says:

It’s still an issue in co-op, but even more so because the characters you need for finishing a mission will likely be hilariously and “accidentally” murdered by your fellow players. Then again, playing BroForce in co-op is one long practice in raging hilarity, and it takes a good, long while to actually get sick enough of a level to hunker down and bull through it.

I cannot recommend co-op BroForce enough.

13. KFee says:

I am probably the only one who didn’t like this game.

14. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Fun little game. Especially if you have someone(s) to play it with.