Just Cause 3 Is On A Mission For Demolition

I’ve hardly moved from behind my desk this week, but I just cannot get enough of flying. To my delight this afternoon ushers in more of the same courtesy of Just Cause 3 [official site] as it propels us head-first into its latest trailer, dubbed ‘On A Mission’, in all its wingsuit-wearing, parachute-popping, South-American dictator-detracting glory. There’s tanks, flash cars, ridiculous physics, and about a gazillion ‘splosions. Business as usual, then.

Duck inside to see Rico in standard death-defying action.

“Every action must and will incur a terrible reaction,” says Nico’s latest nemesis General Sebastian Di Ravello – dictator, general of the Republic of Medici, and prevailing stereotype figure. Now I’m no academic, but I think sounds like a pretty self-serving take on Newton’s Third Law. Perhaps teachings are different in Just Cause’s incessantly cataclysmic universe because, well, just ’cause. One quick glance back over the series’ nine-year lifespan would certainly attest to such a suggestion.

Anyway, the On A Mission trailer has been teased in time for the New York Comic Con which starts tomorrow. Apparently, the footage shown here is supposed to illustrate how the game’s “sandbox gameplay flows into missions” but with all the over-zealous flashes, bangs, and wallops I found it tough making this distinction. Maybe I was too taken with all the wingsuiting. Which looks inherently cool.

Just Cause 3 is due December 1st.

1. Muzman says:

The wingsuit seems fairly cosmetic, as you could virtually fly like that in the previous game. I suppose it adds a certain verismilitude (pretend for a moment there is any in these games)

I don’t think much of the new voice actor either, so far anyway. It’s a pity to not feel that continuity when they take Rico closer to home like this.
    “Who cares about these things! All that matters is s’plosions!” might be the reaction to such sentiments. But I kinda think that’s a terrible attitude. JC2 had a certain intelligence and wit buried in there. Not earth shattering, but it was there (especially regarding its setting, which was virtually unique in its regional details. )
    I really don’t want to leave developers feeling that attention to all that stuff is all just optional.

• Kollega says:

From what I’ve seen in the gameplay trailers and in JC2 (which I played for 244 hours), the wingsuit isn’t cosmetic at all. In JC2, the parachute flying was kinda slow, even with the parachute thrusters, and freefall was just that – freefall. Wingsuit is a happy medium between those two – blisteringly fast, and at the same time providing a fair degree of control and forward motion.

Also, JC3’s Medici is just as unique setting-wise as JC2’s Panau, because the only games I can remember doing modern Italy are some WW2 shooters, Counter-Strike, and NOLF: Contract J.A.C.K.

• Muzman says:

Even being only in war games gives anywhere in Europe a massively greater presence and awareness than the Malay archipelago, which would otherwise be naught. But yeah, their Spain/Italy could be great. We’ll have to see. Still want the old voice guy back.

And the freefall in JC2 was anything but. You were given the sort of control a skydiver might have over several thousand feet to heights in the dozens of feet. Effectively gliding, in other words, despite being just a falling dude. But hey, JC physics is a fairly malleable thing. I suppose the wingsuit would let you glide even more than that. But it also sells the ability better I suppose.

• Kollega says:

I would still say that Italy in particular is as rare in games as Malaysia and environs… i.e. practically nonexistent. Funnily enough, the settings near that area I can remember are also two, Far Cry 3 and Crysis to be precise. But I see what you’re saying.

And I don’t know about you, but I never felt I had that much control over the game while freefalling in JC2, not helped by the camera movement – so wingsuit is a welcome addition for me.

• socrate says:

i really don’t see much point in location personaly unless the game as historic value in it which JC as never had any.

Also in 2 with a keyboard and mouth you can actually do what the squirrel suit essentially do and you outrun pretty much almost anything in the game…although it look simpler now to do..and doable with a controller this time…i think they put way to much light on that thing which is mediocre upgrade at best…the problem was always that travelling in that game was tedious on long distance with the dumb in game cutscene just to fast travel.

The destruction also seems like the same thing it was tolerable in 2 because i paid 2$ for that damn game but wishing to actually buy it when it come out this time since it got more coverage then the last one….i was expecting more then the destruction of mercenary 1…and even that was done better…not to mention the AI,physic,graphic and everything seems just recycled

The other thing that turn me off is the new way you get upgrade is by doing these optional mission that every open world game as and that everyone hate doing….going through ring while racing or falling wasnt even that great 10 year ago…so yeah…everything i see from this game now is a huge turn off each time…this just look like another dumb bad scripted mission of another aweful story….no thank you il pass

DuncUK says:

For a game that’s selling itself on wanton destruction, it still looks like it’s missing properly destructible buildings. Assuming that, its hard to see how JC3 is going to improve hugely on JC2. I think they’re still using the rather stale ‘only red things can be blown up’ approach.

• Kollega says:

The devs said in one interview that they thought of making everything destructible, but didn’t, because if the player could just blow up everything, the game’s verticality would take a hit. Whether that’s a good point is up to you.

DuncUK says:

I’ve tried to google for the quote you mention but I’m not finding it so I’ll have to take your version at face value… but It reads like an excuse to me, it doesn’t even make much sense.

I appreciate that making a game with that level of destruction is a technical challenge and if that were the limitation at least they could be honest about it, but I just can’t see how ‘verticality hit’ is a factor. I’m sure they plan to have some really big buildings to stand on, but the mountains are always larger and who doesn’t want to play a game that lets you topple giant skyscrapers? Even better, to eject from a plane and watch it plow into a city?

• Kollega says:

Regarding the source, I can’t tell with 100% certainity, but it might have been in the initial Game Informer coverage.

I agree with you, though, that it’s a weak-ish reason not to make everything destructible. Seeing Medici’s terrain, it definitely doesn’t look like the ability to take down buildings, even skyscrapers or Vigilator radar stations, would make much of a difference. Unless you consider that the devs’ intention with stuff like the Vigilator bases is that you zip around between several tall towers with the grapple, which wouldn’t be on most players’ mind if you could just plant explosives at the bottom or ram a plane into them and watch the whole thing go down in a single hit.

And another point from the devs was that Rico is supposed to be actually liberating the population this time around, so leaving every city a smoking crater would not gel with that… but it also doesn’t sound very convincing.

• Viroso says:

No destructible buildings put me off. It felt a lot like JC2, which I had a ton of fun with. Feels like a repeat.

DuncUK says:

I think this is my biggest concern… perhaps I’ve not been paying enough attention to JC3 but it doesn’t look to me like a huge step forward from JC2. JC2 had a few amusing systems to play with but nothing with any real depth… I never really got that sense of CARNAGE that the trailers keep screaming about.

It looks like be a bit prettier than JC2 with some fancier explosions and some grapple tweaks, alot of which were already available through JC2 mods. The wingsuit looks fun but Far Cry 4 did that already. There’s just nothing here to get me really excited like I was for JC2.

3. Kollega says:

Just as a note regarding the article, the protagonist is named Rico, not Nico. I’m pretty sure that Nico’s main nemesis is the dreaded bowling.

4. SuicideKing says:

For all interpretations of Newton’s third law, flipping a 2000+ Kg armoured humvee at that speed with just a grapple hook and your hands without moving an inch seems highly unlikely.

• Muzman says:

Add it to the long list. Rico is quite a guy. He can jump off a 2 storey building without effect; falling or moving at great speed can hurt, but if you add being pulled by the grappling hook all force of velocity disappears, so the safest way to fall is actually to grapple winch yourself toward the ground.
      And so on and so forth.

Not that I’m complaining. It’s fun to think about though. I liked watching the Mythbusters actually build an arm mounted grapple and winch once. Actually seeing it for real you suddenly grasp the forces in action better, rather than Batman/Just Cause fantasies. All I could think about was how easy it would be to get some skin or a finger caught in there. Or what might happen if it broke. That thing whipping back at you would probably leave a person wide open. No one in their right mind would use one.

• LionsPhil says:

That you can survive a fatal (and it really is, even for Rico) fall by pulling yourself into the ground is one of my favourite pieces of absurd JC physics, and I’m glad to see it intact in this trailer.

• elevown says:

He never does that though? where does that happen? If you mean 3.07 he grapples it to the building. every time he takes stuff out with the grapple he is grappling things to other things. I admit the cable, nor claw, would be strong enough to hold though on bigger stuff :)

5. Zorn says:

I have a dream
    Just Cause – with the destruction of Red Faction Guerilla

phuzz says:

I’d like to register my discontent that in all these articles about JC3 team RPS have yet to make a single “Why? Just ’cause!” joke.
    For shame

7. kud13 says:

Erm, pardon my nitpicking,m but isn’t Rico supposed to be “liberating” a Mediterranean pseudo-Malta this time around, rather than a South American state?

8. alvysingerUK says:

I, ahem, quite like the song. Anyone know what it’s called or who it’s by?

9. Kollega says:

It’s “Hipster Shakes” by Black Pistol Fire. There’s more information in the video description.

10. XxBrentos9xX says:

Was anyone else extremely bored by this series? I was really excited to play these games after reviews and trailers, but I couldn’t finish either one. Every quest felt like the last, and even the side missions felt similar. The open world aspect and the grappling hook were the most fun to me (And the only reason I put about 8 hours in the second game), but what you actually “do” in the world was just rinse and repeat. Upgrading your weapons/vehicles was interesting, but the upgrades didn’t feel like they really added a whole lot… I guess after playing 100 games in my lifetime it’s just too easy to find dull repetitive structures in games I would have enjoyed early on in my gaming life.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

Now, if they infused Red Faction: Guerrilla with Just Cause, I would get on board. Hard.

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, it’s funny. As wild and over-the-top JC is, it still feels more constrained and on-rails than RF:G. For the simple fact that everything is destructible in RF:G, even things you don’t necessarily have an interest in destroying.

JC feels like a great, thrilling themepark ride. RF:G actually feels far more open and creative, like playing in a neighborhood sandlot.

Various games have wingsuits and grapples and jumping out of cars and wild, physics-defying stunts. JC does them all excellent, no doubt. But other games have also done them very well.

No game has come close to matching RF:G’s open-world destruction.

11. racccoon says:

I think its great fun game.
    I do think also its getting to a point of over extreme. Just cause, where does it go next, it has no where to go!..games like these are all over spilling and over exaggerating themselves.
    Games like farcry, borderlands,duke nukem, wolfenstein,bioshock,saints row, etc etc are all hitting walls, they all need to step back like twenty steps. otherwise its just becomes mediocre.
    Think of it like a elastic band the more you stretch it the more likely its going to snap.
    This is where these games are, they aren’t going to get very far at all soon, as the area’s in gaming they’ve created seem new & fun but reality of the chaos is the games end up with no real story.
    So there is a limit to the madness.
    have fun though. lol