Mordheim: City Of The Damned Explained In New Trailer

When I was much younger, primary school age, I was into Games Workshop stuff. By the time I’d reached high school I’d begun to grudgingly disassociate myself with it for fear of being bullied, such was life at the educational establishment I attended in Glasgow. Which is shit, really, because besides anything else I missed the boat with Mordheim: City Of The Damned [official site ], thus only know anything about the once-tabletop-now-desktop Warhammer mashup via what I’ve read on these here pages of RPS.

Now as if the above examples of fine wordsmith-ery weren’t enough, Mordheim’s latest information-laden overview trailer does such a good job of describing what it’s about – in just over two minutes, I may add – that I now think all games should face this sort of word-weaving treatment pre-release. Let’s have a gander.

That’s a lot of words! Although turn-based, proceedings in Mordheim seem to flow pretty fast as the four playable Warbands – Human Mercenaries, Skaven, Sisters of Sigmar and the Cult of the Possessed – take each other to task. Each has a unique story-driven campaign – the area of development Rogue Factor have been focusing on of late, I believe, some of which is teased above – that can be taken offline against AI, or online against your mates/folk half your age who are inherently better at video games than you are. That last one’s probably specific to me, though. Of course, consistent with other Games Workshop video games – and tabletop iterations, for that matter – City Of The Damned plays heavy on customisation, be it hiring, skills, gear or squad configuration.

Whilst both Adam and Marsh had issues with their respective times in Mordheim’s Early Access, Alec was better-impressed with what the game’s Phase 6 update proposed recently. If you’d like to come to your own conclusions, you can do via Steam, for £23.99.

1. Foosnark says:

My spouse, diehard Skaven, refers to Mordheim as “the Warhammer that people actually have time to play.”

• Foosnark says:

(The tabletop one, that is. Oh for an edit button.)

• Silent_Thunder says:

Amazing that GW canned all the specalist games, aka the ones that were actually fun. Becuase let’s be honest, strip away the lore, and WHFB and WH40k are frankly terrible wargames.

• Flopper says:

Dammit. I thought this was the co-op 4 player FPS… Yawn @ this one.

• Haborym says:

A guy who can’t appreciate a thinking man’s game. Yawn@this comment.

2. Gothnak says:

The voiceover sounds like he is reviewing the game but is actually advertising it. Rather strange.

I like the setting, i like the turn based nature, but i want to play it top down. Something about first person just makes it look…. Not fun.

• BloatedGuppy says:

Is there an overhead/isometric view for the game? It seems sort of like a Warhammer XCOM, seems like that would be the natural perspective for it.

• FlipMooMonkey says:

No, it’s all played from 3rd person.

There is an overhead map you can zoom out to but you can’t actually move the character through it. All movement is WASD (or controller if you prefer)through certain sized zones (based on character speed) which seems weird for all of about half an hour maybe then you don’t tend to notice it until something goes wrong, which due to the procedural maps is usually running into an invisible wall joining two houses together or sometimes struggling to get up tight stairs.

• Ejmir says:

I completely agree. I tried it but the 3rd person view is definitly not fun, as it seems that you need to know the maps by heart and to remember where are all the other units.
      Modrheim should be a tactical game, not a seek-and-hide…

3. FlipMooMonkey says:

I’ve had great fun with this since the warband progression became available, managing to max out a mercs band at lvl 5 through the campaign and try a few battles with skaven/chaos too.

There are definitely still things that need to be tweaked and polished but that the core of battles and warband management is fun enough now is a relief.

If anyone’s been sitting on the fence as to whether to pick it up in early access or not, I would say now is the time to try it.

• Heavenfall says:

I pre-ordered many months ago but couldn’t even bring myself to play 2 hours (according to steam). Then the latest update arrived, adding a campagn for your warband, and two weeks later I have over 50 hours played. And I’ve far from completed the available story missions for each (or any) faction. It’s a huge blast, and with continued development will be a 10/10 around release.

• gou says:

Honestly I am simply wishing this a dry-run/proof of concept sort of thing for a later necromunda game (because it is essentially an oldworldy reskin anyway), hoping they do good by this and then put what they have learned to good use…
      yeah yeah, i know, still a man can dream can’t he?

4. TheAngriestHobo says:

Glad to see RPS covering this, as progression was a real game-changer and it’s been out for a couple of weeks now. The game has graduated from boring early-access sludge to what I would consider a highly-engaging beta. It’s quite the heel-turn, and is likely to surprise anyone who hasn’t played for a few months.

Like FlipMooMonkey said above, the game is well worth buying at this point, especially since it’s still sitting at early-access prices.

5. Morph says:

Why does he keep calling wyrdstone “wordstone?”. I can’t be the only person who pronounces it “weirdstone”.

Aside that, looking forwards to this.

• FlipMooMonkey says:

I don’t think anyone would really pick you up for using either. Strictly speaking the original saxon is Wurd but again I don’t think using weird is a problem either.

It’s not like this doesn’t crop up every other week with tyranids, tzeentch, etc. It’s just something you have to accept with warhammer/40k.

• Morph says:

Interesting, thanks! Yeah we have plenty of pronunciation fun playing GW games.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Coincidentally the last fantasy writer who paid any real attention to the internal philology of his created worlds was also a pilologist by profession.

• MisterFurious says:

I thought it was ‘weird’, too, so, no, you aren’t the only one.

6. TheAngriestHobo says:

I just noticed that you, Mr. Donnelly, have managed to circumvent Steam’s zealous censorship software. Thanks to your third sentence and the fact that most games’ Steam moderators instantly post any RPS article that mentions their game on their library page, I’m seeing the word “shit” in the Steam client for the very first time.

I feel like there should be an achievement for that.

john_silence says:

An ashitment!
      Also, I love that your handle is AngriestHobo and you relish the appearance of shit. How in-character! I am usually “monsieur_fromage” online and as such can appreciate smelly harmony like what you just created.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I have no idea if I’m supposed to be amused or insulted.

7. trjp says:

Once upon a time, Warhammer’s “voice” for gamers was Paul Barnett – and he was amazing – I wonder what he’s upto

Back in 2008, this was his pitch for Warhammer Online ;0

link to youtube.com

Remember it was 2008 – the world was different then ;0

8. JamesTheNumberless says:

Bah, at the secondary school I went to in Glasgow I was all about the Games Workshop… Then again, there were plenty of other factors which meant bullying was inevitable for me anyway :)

9. xyzzy frobozz says:

I find the voice to be peculiarly terse.

10. XxBrentos9xX says:

In a world where campaigns are being stripped, the promise of four separate campaigns for each faction is simply delightful