Sith’ll Help: Star Wars Battlefront Gets More Servers

I’m feeling less and less enamoured of Star Wars: Battlefront [official site]’s current beta now I’m over the initial ‘OMG! AT-ATs!’ excitement. It feels so very game-y, and so very dominated by people who, for one reason or another, seem able to pull off endless pixel-precise headshots. The industrial sci-fi fun is being overwhelmed by frustration and the hamster wheel of unlocks – but that may well change once I’m no longer limited to three maps and what’s surely the most ardent, practiced slice of the likely playerbase. Though that is already expanding rapidly – EA have laid on more servers for this weekend’s beta in order to meet the demand. That should take at least some of the infuriation out the experience.

I’ve struggled to get into the game several times, and as I mentioned the lack of server browser in favour of behind-the-scenes matchmaking means I have no idea what’s available and what’s being dismissed as not a viable place to play. I didn’t even know if it was over-subscribed or under-subscribed. Hopefully, this will improve things.

Yesterday, EA DICE wrote that “A lot of interest around the beta. We’re bringing more PC servers online and appreciate your patience.” However, it’s clearly not totally eradicated the problem, as more recent support messages acknowledge that “We’re aware that a number of players may be unable to join a multiplayer match. We’re working to resolve that, keep trying.”

(Pro tip: “a number of players” always means “lots and lots of people argh please stop shouting at us.” See also the Batman Arkham Knight situation. What was initially brushed off as “some users are reporting performance issues” eventually became withdrawing the game from sale for months.)

Anyway, I’ll jump back in shortly to see if the situation’s any better, and if I feel better or worse about Battlefront’s gamey slaughterhouse now there’s a larger playerbase.

1. DarkLiberator says:

Problem is, I don’t want a matchmaking system, I wanted a server browser as well. The matchmaking is region locked so if you have no players near you you’re out of luck.

Rebels seem to have a hard time winning, but figured it out recently. If you pick up an orbital strike, keep it till the AT-ATs are vulnerable, then proceed to drop the strike on them. You can do like 60-70 damage.

The gunplay is pretty boring, just hold down trigger and hip fire the enemy. Was the old battlefronts like this as well? I haven’ played them in years.

• dangermouse76 says:

I’m playing the last Battlefront ( gameranger ) and it is a die fast shoot fest – especially when inside a spaceship – a lot of the time. But I really enjoy the chaos of it and tactical play is an option through creative use of vehicles and a well trained group of friends.
      Also there are space battles in the old one where you can land and destroy the ships. It really is great fun with a good size community.

• trashmyego says:

The old battlefront games (along with this one) are far closer to old school shooters when it comes to hip firing and constant movement not hurting accuracy. You actually take a movement debuff if you aim down the scope, it’s really only there for long distance shooting.

• TheRaptorFence says:

The new one is actually the same. Penalty to movement for ADS and no change in accuracy, laser accuracy (pun intended) from hipfire.

2. TillEulenspiegel says:

I can’t stand the ridiculous background stuff; all the starships and fake combat noise are distracting and only serve to highlight the incredibly small game you’re actually playing.

It’s just a really vanilla shooter. Plain old unmodded Starsiege Tribes was way more interesting.

3. hollowroom says:

EA/Dice do a great trailer though.

4. Asurmen says:

That picture amuses me. 1# easiest way to die: Use any of the emplacements. Guarantee you’ll be dead in seconds. Even the lowly repeating blaster cannon needs to be tougher and protect the gunner better. Should be using skill or the right weapon to take any of the emplacements down. It would also provide some balance towards the Rebels.

• TormDK says:

Thats more of an issue with the recycler rifle being the first thing people unlock more than anything. The emplacements are very powerful is noone is sniping.

Why they included a sniper rifle that accurate as a 9 second recycle use item is not something I fully understand. I have had no problems doing 15+ kills every round played with that thing, and as much as I love stats padding my K/D ratio, it really is a problem for the game at large I think.

• Asurmen says:

Even normal rifle fire hurts quite a lot. Meanwhile the AT-ST laughs at anything that isn’t a missle or that rifle.

• Luringen says:

Ion grenades deal >50% of their health in one go, if a few players bring them they don’t stand a chance.

• Asurmen says:

That’s a card item that’s only useful against vehicles etc and requires close range or super grenade skills. Meanwhile the AT-ST just shoots you dead.

• yurusei says:

I dunno if it’s because of the skill-level of the players in the region I was playing (Asia) or if I was just plain lucky, but I got into one and proceeded to rack up 15+ kills before anyone knew I was there. This happened 3-4 times.

5. Shooty Deluxe says:

Graphics and immersion are great but the gameplay… meh.
    Let’s see what Battlefront 2 brings next year.

gritz says:

I don’t get the “hamster wheel of unlocks” thing. After 2 hours of play I had all but one or two things unlocked.

Plus, you can always “partner” someone on your team and use their hand if they have stuff you don’t, even if you haven’t ranked into it yet.

• bangy says:

This

They got the feel right but the original Battlefronts were over the top mosh pits, not this shit ranking system of unlocks and spawning inside vehicles. DICE completely missed the point of why ppl enjoyed the first two so much

7. derbefrier says:

My expirience so far has been great. No crashes. I connect and load into games within seconds and lag hasn’t been an issue at all.

Game play wise the ground combat is lots of fun. It’s been a while since I have played an online fps but after a couple matches of failing horribly (first match 0-12) I started getting back into the swing of things. Grenade spam is kind of an issue(I think a longer cooldown is needed)

Biggest dissapoint by far are the vehicles. Wtf were they thinking with with the tie fighter and xwing controls. Pitch only an roll, wtf.

8. Life Glug says:

What does “gamey” mean?

• SuicideKing says:

You know how you can press Q to throw an instant flashbang in CoD? That’s gamey. As opposed to say, Insurgency, where you equip the grenade first, and then throw it.

Similarly, if there’s a tank in Arma, anyone can drive the tank, but if you’re not a part of the crew for that tank and hop in (like in Battlefield), it’s considered gamey.

Basically, “gamey” => stuff that you can do because you’re in a game and would be “unrealistic” to do in real life. Of course playing the realism card be problematic and abused, but something is “gamey” when the unrealism becomes a bit too much.

In context, an example would be how a normal stormtrooper or rebel soldier is instantly teleported into a vehicle when a round icon on the map is run through. This is in contrast with actually running to a vehicle and getting in, which would still be “gamey” according to some (see Arma example above), but less so than the current system, and probably provide more immersion (compare with Elite, Star Citizen for space craft).

9. minijedimaster says:

Game is fun overall. Yes there is some balancing that needs to happen. And some tweaking of gameplay for sure. But you know, this IS beta weekend. The whole point was to figure out server loads now before the game actually launches in November. Also to get some feed back from a large community on gameplay and balance tweaks.

Being an EA game this isn’t a pre/day 1 purchase for me. But I can see myself picking this up not too long after launch as long as they don’t majorly F it up.

• Lachlan1 says:

Lol someone still believes beta means beta. It means demo by this point.

10. Phinor says:

Latency seems really bad at times. I threw a grenade at Luke who kept running, he must have been 50 feet away from the explosion but still died.

But of course I have no idea what my latency and all the other relevant data is because someone decided it would be too complicated for your average Star Wars fan.

Not sure about the game either. Fun for five minutes but after that…

• Bull0 says:

I’ve had plenty of the classic battlefield kill trades and deaths round corners etc. It just gets really stale really quickly. The whole thing comes across as rushed, and the powerups thing is utterly regressive.

11. Urzu1000 says:

“and so very dominated by people who, for one reason or another, seem able to pull off endless pixel-precise headshots”

When I joined, I thought all the players seemed like a bunch of newbies. Either the matchmaking decided to put me in a lower skill match, or I should probably plead guilty at your accusations.

• derbefrier says:

I think that’s just old man rambling. It’s not any different from any other shooter in that regard

12. criskywalker says:

Just give me my Episode VII trailer!

13. bangy says:

The feel is great but DICE fucked it all up by doing, once again, rankings.

Battlefront 1 & 2 was a class based over-the-top fast paced game with tons of vehicle types and objectives. it wasn’t a tactical game, it was a mosh pit…..and it was a blast.

What do they think will happen if they allow all weapons and gadgets to be available from the start along with spawning vehicles? This is definitely NOT the Battlefront I wanted…

14. Ham Solo says:

The tested game mode just feels more like Call of Duty with Star Wars skins than Battlefront 1/2. Hope that changes with the full release and that the weird pickup system disappears completely. It looks absolutely stunning though.

15. Rindan says:

I am pretty meh on the game. Personally, I like my battlefields to feel a little more like they have general sides and front lines, rather than the mosh pit that this game is. At least on Hoth you seem to either be in the middle of room with enemies pouring in from apparently every direction, or out on an open plain with no cover being murdered by a freaking AT-AT or AT-ST that you can’t dodge away from.

Everything is, as others have said, “gamey”. Why our Y wings are so insistent on coming in one at a time just to keep the AT-T’s shields down instead of hitting those bastards all at once is beyond me. The “cards” thing is stupid. Why the fuck are they cards? The hero animations look like crap and the heroes themselves add nothing.

The vehicle play completely sucks because there are no vehicles. There are just massive power ups that they call vehicles that you can collect that let you stomp the shit out of people while slowly having your health drained because you are attracting every laser bolt in sight and have no capacity to dodge, hide, or be even vaguely strategic.

I was doing pretty good and getting top 3 pretty often, but I think I’m going to pass on it. If they have a free play weekend with more game modes available sometime, I’ll give it another shot. Maybe I would like some of the other game modes more. If what they have on offer right now though is it in terms of game play, I’ll pass. I want something that is more Battlefield 2 flavored thoughtful combined arms combat and less Call of Duty meat grinder.

16. Cunemous says:

Well said. I wholeheartedly agree with your prognosis. I think they will miss out on a lot of sales.

17. Daemoroth says:

Started out fun, lost interest as the weekend went on. Top it off with not knowing my latency, and rubberbanding whenever I try to sprint, and I don’t know if I ‘lost’ that fight cause of a bad connection or bad aim (Which didn’t look bad).

Lovely recipe for severe frustration, that.