Latest Witcher 3 Patch Has *13 Pages* Of Notes

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site] patch 1.10 is a bit of a monster, it seems. It comprises some 600 fixes, none of which appear to be major but suggest an impressive commitment to refining an already slick game. If you want to find out what they all are, then you’ll need to sit down with large mug of tea and this here 13-page PDF file.

Incredibly, that 13-page doc apparently isn’t even exhaustive. Devs CD Projekt attempt to summarise the changes like so: “fixes for a load of quests, optimizations that’ll make things smoother on PC and consoles, over one hundred fifty stability improvements to iron out hiccups, additional conversations with key characters that will enhance your relationships with them as well as the story as a whole, and a major and much-awaited fix that should take a good bit of the pain out of dealing with items in the Inventory by improving how items are ordered and sorted.”

The inventory stuff sounds most appealing – organisation and buying the right stuff was probably Wild Hunt’s biggest headache in its original form. They’ve already made buying the right ingredients for recipes a whole lot easier, and hopefully now there’ll be less endless scrolling through bits and bobs to work out what does what and what can safely be sold. I’m keen to see what the optimizations and stability improvements do too – I come frustratingly short of the hallowed 60FPS on max settings (bar the ever-destructive HairWorks stuff), and while that doesn’t alter my monster-bothering experience in practice, dammit, it’s the principle, innit?

Patch 1.10 should be sticking itself onto your PC and hour now. My game’s still at version 1.08 so I guess it’s not out quite yet despite some talk of it having happened yesterday, but we’re told to expect a download of between 6 and 15 GB ‘depending on platform’ say CDP, by which they presumably mean download service.

CDP do seem determined to go big on everything these days, even declaring that their next project, sci-fi RPG Cyberpunk 2077 will be even bigger than the already enormous Witcher 3. Man alive, where does anyone find the time?

More scandalously, I couldn’t find even a single gag in the 13 page patch notes. Step up your game, CDP.

1. PoulWrist says:

When I play it for the first time sometime next year, with a new GPU, it’ll be amazing.

2. dancingcrab says:

“[…] we’re told to expect a download of between 6 and 15 GB ‘depending on platform’ say CDP, by which they presumably mean download service.”

My understanding is that the console versions of the game tend to have much bigger patches due to the way MS and Sony manage updates.

• demicanadian says:

Or, by the nature of steam update system (incremental updates), on steam it’ll be 6GB, and on other platforms (GOG, consoles) it’ll need to redownload most of the game files.

• h_ashman says:

That and I guess the compression levels between the downloads will vary as well.

• dancingcrab says:

Steam more often than not does NOT provide incremental updates. Steam patches are often not truly incremental – they really redownload whole chunks of game data rather than specific files. GOG, on the other hand, provides incremental updates.

Typically, neither require a full sized download.

• TK-093 says:

Got the Xbone patch this AM. It is 16GB.

3. Cinek says:

o_O this game had so many bugs?! I haven’t encounter even a single one…

Anyway: wow… that’s a size of patch you rarely see!

• BTAxis says:

I dunno, it seems to me it’s the size of the changelog that’s extraordinary, not necessarily the size of the patch. Big patches for games are not that uncommon (AoW3 had some for example, Civ 5 too), but many changes usually get grouped under a single heading, such as “balance tweaks and misc fixes”. So I think what we’re dealing with here is, at least in part, a case of unusual verbosity.

• Cinek says:

By size of the patch I mean number of things fixed, no… gigabytes.

“So I think what we’re dealing with here is, at least in part, a case of unusual verbosity.” – could be. Though I find it less likely.

• h_ashman says:

there’s also a good chance there’s been some changes/fixes required for the expansions that are worth having in the base game anyway, so these are probably being rolled out in advance of that.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

Did you read anything in the changelog? The vast majority are extremely minor glitches. They either have a great QA team or have people following message boards for people complaining about issues. Either way, Project Red know their sh*t

4. Kefren says:

No mention of the bug I found last night in the Veni Vidi Vigo quest. You were meant to sneak on to the emperor’s ship to speak to him. I sailed up to it and was spotted, but then they recognised me and stopped firing. Permission to board. Great, I could speak to him. I jumped from my boat onto his deck, tried to talk to him, but he refused. I spoke to a few other characters on the boat, but nothing moved on. Had to look up a walkthrough. The fix? Dive info the water, then “use” the anchor to climb up. Suddenly the emperor would speak to me, and acted as if he hadn’t seen me for ages. Weird! I’ve also had the “continuous jumping Geralt”, and one where, just as a horse race started, suddenly I was underwater and there was no surface so I drowned. None of those three bugs are mentioned in the 13 page PDF, so I wonder how many others there are.

5. TheAngriestHobo says:

“you’ll need to sit down with large mug of tea”

Spasiba, comrade Meerovitch, but large glass of vodka is preferable.

(I automatically read sentences without articles in Russian accents. Sorry.)

6. Gwilym says:

“Fixes issue whereby peasants would walk incorrectly while carrying boxes.”

NOOOOOOOOO BASTARD PHILISTINES WHY

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Those were the best moments in the game, especially when the box failed to render. I can’t even count how many times I’d be in the middle of a serious conversation about how some kid’s dog was killed or something, and some random yokel would march through the background like a Rockette on parade. Good times. :)

• criskywalker says:

Stupid peasants, carrying their XBoxes around!

7. Michael Fogg says:

Fixed the throne hovering in mid-air where Radovid’s ship used to be?

8. Brosecutor says:

CD Project are really serious about QA. Gotta love those guys.

9. Blake Casimir says:

Commendable effort. Post-release attention of this magnitude is rare in the game industry.

However if they never add a first person mode, I will never be interested in actually playing it. The first two games suffer from the same immersion-breaking problems as most third person games, but don’t make up for it in sheer fun (the combat is clunky imho).

• Ringwraith says:

Don’t hold your breath, first-person melee is very different from third-person, so unlikely to add that for combat purposes, as it wouldn’t control very well.

• Honigsenf says:

had you tried the first person mod via cheatengine ? it well worked for me in way of switching in 3rd person for combat and 1st person wander in cities and landscape

10. kud13 says:

Did they fix the “Fool’s Gold” DLC quest yet?

• kud13 says:

Hiving tried the patch: no, they haven’t. Did fix a few other quest bugs (including a few quests that didn’t trigger for me before)

11. Ivan says:

Random question: does anyone know with decent certainty whether or not the patch will/won’t (hopefully won’t) break saves?

This isn’t about mods or anything, just that I’m in the middle of my first playthrough of this wonderful game which might be my favorite gaming experience of all time, and as much as I love every moment I spend with it, I really don’t want to have to start over and replay the like 50-60 hours of content I’ve already greedily consumed because there was a patch.

(Also, if it doesn’t break saves, I will count myself doubly lucky that they expanded the dialogue with Triss before I get to the places where said dialogue occurs, as I’d be minorly miffed that I progressed through it and wouldn’t get to see said newly-added dialogue until a latter palythrough.)

• XxBrentos9xX says:

Also, Ivan, I am 99% this will not break saves, especially since there are some things in the log that actually fix issues with reading save files a certain way. But it wouldn’t hurt to make a backup of your Witcher file just in case (I would have lost all my Borderlands data if I didn’t do that back in the day…)

12. aircool says:

Do you still get stuck behind blades of grass. Are you able to jump in combat yet?

If so, I will reinstall and enjoy.

13. XxBrentos9xX says:

I’ve been reading RPS for about a month straight now because I love the writing, but I finally made an account because I couldn’t sit back anymore.

I couldn’t resist giving praise to Project Red. The article has me thinking the changelog would be a pain to look, since I sometimes look through changelogs of other games and it is indeed a pain in the ass. But even Project red’s patch log is nice and easy to read along. Is this company incapable of making something disorganized?

14. Radiant says:

On page 9 there is a note that says “Boning significantly improved”*

15. KastaRules says:

That’s how you patch a game!