Star Wars Battlefront Beta Extended Through Tuesday

If it wasn’t multiplayer focused, I’d say Star Wars: Battlefront [official site] was a game solely made for Star Wars Dads. It has a fetishistic approach to the sound and texture of the original trilogy which seems designed to massage the nostalgia glands of, well, Alec, if his impressions of the beta are anything to go by. If you too are suppurating nostalgia from places, you might be glad to know that open beta has been extended through tomorrow.

A short forum post on the Star Wars Battlefront site announced the change, though it doesn’t offer a precise time for when the servers will shut down. While the beta continues to run, EA DICE are going to be running some “technical tests”, which according to another post may lead to some players experiencing “occasional issues such as being kicked from the game or losing connectivity.” That sort of stuff is kind of what betas are for, so it’s to be expected.

An awful lot of betas get extended these days, but Star Wars Battlefront is different in that it’s open to all. Assuming that you’re willing to download and install EA’s Origin download client, of course. You can find more details on the beta here.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

1. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Oh this is great! I honestly thought there would be a dearth of availability for this beta, but it lukes like I’ll be able to sabre the taste just a little bit longer.

Evil Timmy says:

Given the rest of your typost, you really didn’t go with a ‘darth’ of availability?

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Autocorrect screwed me it seems. The Han of fate has not been kind to me today.

• Asurmen says:

You can’t just Force these things. You have to let them flow through you.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I agree, though I think Evil Timmy has gotten himself TIEd up in the details.

• AriochRN says:

Your eyes can deceive you; don’t trust them.

Jawant another go?

• Lachlan1 says:

The game doesn’t have enough Leias to keep me interested that long.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Chewbacca believe it! I Wars new hopeing for more unFettered access. When the news Lando’d in my inbox I put the kessel run, made a cup of tea and Luke’d out the window, pleased I’d got what I wanted in the endor.

• awm says:

This game gives me heart palpatinations.

2. Darkz0r says:

I wish that the beta was more balanced and maybe with a few more modes, they basically launched 3 modes:
    -Survival (fun for a few tries but repetitive, just a filler..);
    -Deathmatch pod capture (I actually like it, matches are fast for when you want to play 10 mins as infantry);
    -And the totally unbalanced MP mode, which is impossible to win as rebels. Yeah I know this complaint is not 100% valid but I`ve played over 20+ matches and the only one I almost won as rebel was when someone cable tied one walker and the other walker was at 1% HP, though the endgame animation started and we lost.

So graphics are good, gameplay is ok (nothing new…and cards? WTF?) and the proper MP is totally unbalanced. So after the “demo” I’ll probably wait for several unbiased reviews before giving them any $.

• Matt_W says:

I played a game where the rebels won. Of course I was on the Empire’s side that game. In fact, over the course of 2-3 hours, I played 20-30 DM/MP matches and never once was on the winning team. My conclusion was that my lack of skill was actually like a black hole of skill that sucked all the skill out of the 19 other players on my side, making it impossible for anyone on my team to succeed. Beware the skill vortex!

• DarkLiberator says:

Actually if you manage to grab an orbital strike on the rebel side, its entirely possible to win, it does like 60-70 damage to an AT-AT. Its just that the Imperial side’s task is much easier, you shoot stuff while the rebels job is more complicated. I think they should rebalance it to where the Imperial side has to disarm the uplinks, it’ll make more sense.

• that_guy_strife says:

I thought the gameplay was boring, myself. The vehicle aim and ship controls feel terribly off.

But I don’t think saying the MP is unbalanced is fair. One map/mode is by design axed towards Imperial victory, but that’s on out of a dozen. And I actually really like that idea ! Lots of different modes could give different flavors to the game and maybe rekindle my interest.

Also maybe they’ll add walker maps, and the next could be skewed in the Rebels favor. Maybe they’d be ambushing a walker or something.

3. Hunchentoot says:

I’ve been enjoying the demo. Nice little shooter once you learn the ropes. EA can kiss my arse though, they do a good Beta, but the actual release will suck balls (see BF4).

• that_guy_strife says:

Did they have an open beta for BF4 ? They’ve already added servers, too. I don’t like/trust EA either, but maaaaaaaybe this time it’ll be different.

• SuicideKing says:

They had an open beta for BF3, and it still sucked. Didn’t touch BF4 or any other new EA game after that, so can’t tell you about the rest.

• that_guy_strife says:

Too bad you didn’t enjoy. I picked up BF4 and Premium during 2015 for 40 bucks, and apart Origin, Battlelog, and the agoninzingly long load time for joining the first time, I’ve been having lotsa fun.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Ditto, surprisingly pleased with the game. Initial impression was its a dumbed down Battlefield, but actually it is its own game, a lot of fun. The jump pack and one shot sniper rifle are brilliant fun, clever letting every one have them if they want.

But of course, do not buy until the netcode works. BF4 did have a beta too, equally issue free. So grabbing in a years time when they’ve sorted all that out.

4. JonClaw says:

Too bad AMD cards got shafted on playing Walker Assault with constant stuttering and freezing.

• Asurmen says:

Mine doesn’t, and I haven’t even tried the beta driver.

5. XxBrentos9xX says:

It took me more time to configure my laptop to run the game than I spent actually playing the thing (2 hours). It just got so boring so quickly. It made me want to go play the old battlefront game on my original XBOX 1 simply to relive what I had hoped from a new battlefront. At least now I know to save my money for the plethora of other titles coming out in the next 3-5 months… maybe Mordheim

• that_guy_strife says:

What took you so long to configure on your laptop ? I’m running a 2011 Sager with a paltry GT 555M, and apart adjusting the ingame settings for maximum FPS/visuals ratio, I dived right in. It even lets you adjust all the video settings while in-game (at least offline).

6. Enso says:

So desperately wanted to like it but just can’t.

7. fish99 says:

My experience of playing this was running around with the one gun I had available while everyone else had a sniper rifle, grenades and jetpacks. Progression systems suck if you get left behind.

I also thought the walker level sucked as a level, too restricted by the need to look like the film (mainly talking about the boring trenches and tight tunnels) to be an enjoyable level.

Also it boils what was an epic and dynamic conflict in the films down to a boring battlefield-style fight for control points.

8. Mr_Blastman says:

They dumbed it down so much. Why, EA, why?! I’ll take my birthday cash and use it for something else, I guess.

9. Distec says:

Have a lot of ups and downs with this so far. My enjoyment seems really dependent on the actual match chemistry. The highs are high, but the lows are low. I can have a string of well-fought rounds where I feel like I haven’t completely sucked, but then have several more when it feels like my team is just getting absolutely hammered with no hope of victory.

This is arguably no different than most other multiplayer shooters, but then that probably explains why I’ve been getting less and less of those as time goes on. It needs to be something either exceptional or free-to-play, and Battlefront is neither at the moment.

That said, beta was fun enough and worked without a hitch for me, so I can’t complain too hard about what has essentially been a “free weekend”. It’s enjoyable enough on average. I just worry about its staying power.