Wadjet Eye Going Post-Apocalyptic With Shardlight

Hullo, sorry, me again, on my final round of clearing up left-over newsbits from when I was on holiday. Such as: the fine folks of Wadjet Eye announced their next lo-fi adventure game, Shardlight [official site]. Set in a plague-ridden post-apocalyptic land, Shardlight will see an infected lady trying to find a cure, maybe taking on the shadowy government, and maybe saving herself. Spring 2016 is when you should expect it.

Wadjet Eye explain the premise thusly:

“The world ended on the day the bombs fell. Since then, it’s always been like this: disease, hunger, death. The ruling Aristocrats — a faceless oligarchy that controls all resources — have unchallenged authority. There’s never enough food, water, or vaccine to go around. The rich receive regular doses of vaccinations in exchange for their unconditional government support. The poor live in fear, superstition, and squalor until they die.

“Amy Wellard, a young woman reluctantly working for the government to qualify for the vaccine lottery, believes there’s a cure — and she’s going to find it. Even if it costs her her life.”

Beyond that… well, it’s an adventure game – clicking on things, solving puzzles, talking to folks. If you’ve played the Blackwell games or The Shivah you’ll get what Wadjet Eye and founder Dave Gilbert are about. If not, you can click on those links and they’ll take you to reviews. Handy, eh? This one is developed by Wadjet Eye, by the way, not just published; I point this out only because I see folks often miss that Wadjet publish other folks’ games as well as making their own.

Anyway! Have yourself the first trailer for Shardlight:

DuncUK says:

Between this and Technobabylon, I like this new dystopian direction for Wadjet Eye.

• silentdan says:

I actually just finished Technobabylon last night, and I think it’s Wadjet Eye’s best title to date. I picked up TB on the strength of the Blackwell series (the ending of which I quite enjoyed) and I’ll pick this one up on the strength of TB. Keep up the good work, Wadjet Eye!

• caff says:

Damn, this comment makes me realise that a) I also want this new game and b) I should complete Technobabylon.

• alms says:

I guess that my cue for pointing out again that, while the team at Wadjet plays a huge role in the production of the adventures they publish, most of their games have been designed and developed by other people.

And Shardlight is no different, in being Grundislav’s new project, he of A Golden Wake.

Playing the director’s commentaries is enlightening to realize how important David & Co really are, but let’s not forget Technobabylon existed well before its commercial release, that Resonance, Primordia and Gemini Rue were all games in development before Wadjet picked them up (although Wadjet played an instrumental role in turning them into finished games)

Blackwell is the only series so far that was entirely Wadjet’s.

Again this is not to undermine Wadjet’s work, I just think is unfair to treat all of Wadjet’s published games as they were entirely made by them.

• Grundislav says:

In this particular case, I am the writer and designer of the game, but I am also an employee of Wadjet Eye Games as of last November. Therefore, while Dave Gilbert is not making this game, it is still an in-house Wadjet Eye game, not a published one. It’s just like how you had LucasArts or Sierra games, but each had a different lead designer. Hope that clears things up!

• alms says:

Thanks Francisco for the reply and clarifications. I just find frustrating that a part of the audience simply sees Wadjet Eye as some sort of homogenous entity that somehow pops out a game every now and then, like they were an ordinary studio, while the truth is very different.

Happy to hear Wadjet Eye has been doing so well that Dave can keep hiring more talents and make them full time employees, looking forward to see more great games from you all.

• Grundislav says:

Sure, but credit is always given where it’s due. Wadjet Eye doesn’t claim to be the sole developer of any of its published games, and they list the developer of each one on their games page. As someone else said, it’s mainly brand recognition with regards to “that part of the audience.”

• alms says:

Heh you know what? you’re right. Gamers are perfectly able to remember the name of the designers they like, adventure games or other genres, it makes no difference.

So I guess, I should be more frustrated with the journos repeating Wadjet Wadjet Wadjet the same way the said Vanaman when talking about TWDS01 instead of stopping at Telltale.

Bluerps says:

The setting does not sound terribly original, but I don’t care. I am sure it’ll be great.

The Blackwell series might be my favorite adventure games of all time and The Shivah is very lovely as well. I want it yesterday (but this Friday would be ok too, I guess).

3. Risingson says:

Well, guys, are not you interested in any other things apart from the style and the distributor? As, who designed the game or who wrote it?

• AngoraFish says:

Ummm… Wadjet Eye? they’ve only got four employees dude. Read the last paragraph.

• Mr Underhill says:

Unless I’m mistaken it’s the guy from Grundislav games that was hired by Wadjet, so yeah, it is an internal thing. With background art and animations by the fine Ben Chandler.

• TomxJ says:

Always good to see Ben Chandler doing what he does best.

But please, guys, give PISS the Technobabylon treatment.

• Pink Gregory says:

Well it’s brand recognition, isn’t it. That’s getting in on the ground floor.

• alms says:

Yes, yes, yes. I just posted to that effect.

4. Penguin_Factory says:

“There’s never enough food, water, or vaccine to go around. The rich receive regular doses of vaccinations in exchange for their unconditional government support. The poor live in fear, superstition, and squalor until they die.”

Interesting to see Wadjet making a game set in the real world *badum-tish*

gritz says:

I’d rather have more modern-world supernatural noir, since that itch doesn’t get scratched very often.

But post-apocalyptic is fine, I suppose.

6. DevilishEggs says:

As much as dystopia might seem tired, I think lo-fi adventures do it pretty well — Primordia is one of my favorite Wadjet-published games. There was even a little speculation about Primordia 2 happening, but here’s one of the creators ruling it out:

link to steamcommunity.com

I’ll always remember you, Crispin.