Adventure Ho! Telltale’s Minecraft: Story Mode Started

Am I a big enough fan of Paul Reubens, dear Pee Wee Herman, to pick up Minecraft: Story Mode [official site] to hear more of him? Prrrobably not. Not until it’s a little cheaper, anyway. But perhaps your interest in Minecraft and/or Telltale Games’ episodic adventures and/or voice-havers like Patton Oswalt and Billy West is enough for you. If so, good news! The first episode of Telltale’s latest, which tells a story of would-be heroes in the world of Minecraft, launched last night.

Story Mode – which is a separate, standalone game in the Telltale adventure game style, and not at all like Minecraft, I should stress for those who find its confusing name confusing – sees a group of chums and crafters following in their footsteps of their heroes to save the world all that. Neatly, you can select your main character’s gender and skin tone, which seems important for a series about your adventures with your pals.

Minecraft: Story Mode is out on Windows and Mac through Steam and GOG as a full season pass for £18.99, giving you future episodes as they come out. In the UK at least, GOG will give you £2.50 in store credit too to make up for regional pricing differences.

We’re in a busy spell for episodic adventure games. Minecraft: Story Mode has just started, Telltale’s Tales from the Borderlands wraps up next Tuesday, and Dontnod Entertainment’s fantastic Life Is Strange is concluding on that day too. Still, at least adventure episodes are only a few hours long – November 10th will see the launch of both Fallout 4 and StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. Have fun balancing that.

Here’s a trailer for the first episode:

And this here vid has some of the game’s voice cast but no Paul Reubens so pssssh:

1. melnificent says:

Almost 4 months between the first two episodes was excessive for Tales from the Borderlands. Which was supposed to be bi-monthly.

Is there any information on how often telltale is expecting this to be between episodes?

• AwkwardAlex says:

That was only between the first and second episodes, with each subsequent episode delay got shorter and shorter. So I’d assume that it won’t happen again. Afterall, episode 2 was worth the wait.

2. TillEulenspiegel says:

Billy West is no mere voice-haver; he is the creator of many voices. He is Fry and the Professor and Zoidberg and so many more.

I watched both of those videos, and I still have very little idea what’s going on. Except that it looks pretty terrible.

• welverin says:

Yes, Billy is the voice actor to give a crap about. The other two are people to cause disinterest. It’s a shame that good voice actors get passed over for stars who are hired merely for their names.

• Unclepauly says:

Way to crap on Patton Oswalt. Did he make a joke about your favorite food or something?

3. TheAngriestHobo says:

Casting Patton Oswalt is a weird choice. He doesn’t really have any range as an actor – he only ever plays some version of himself. Between that and his fairly distinctive voice, I kinda feel like including him might hurt the immersion more than help it.

No offense intended to the guy, of course. He’s almost certainly just been typecast throughout his career. Doesn’t change anything, though.

4. Wowbagger says:

Capitalism Ho!

• Kollega says:

I honestly cannot see any reasons for the existence of this episodic game other than this. It honestly feels on the same page as a movie adaptation of Tetris. Don’t get me wrong, Tetris is important, but I don’t know who would ever want it to have a “proper story”.

• Nevard says:

This isn’t really a “proper story” for Minecraft either, at least not in the way I imagine you meant with references to Tetris.
        This isn’t a tale that justifies background elements of the Minecraft setting, or who you play as, or anything like that. It’s just a story that happens to take place in the world of Minecraft.

Which is… weird, but I sort of get it? I mean, it’s essentially official fanfiction, but that stuff can be plenty popular. I think this has as much justification to exist as any other game like Shadows of Mordor, a game that has little to do with the story of Lord of the Rings but takes place in the same setting.

Qazinsky says:

I agree, franchises like Borderlands and the Walking Dead makes sense, there’s lore and background you can use and base new characters on. Minecraft though, it got no lore at all, as far as I know. You got Steve, now Alex, I think her name was? That’s pretty much it, two voiceless player characters, in a world where you shape your own stories. That’s not much to base a game on.

• AwkwardAlex says:

Similiar thing was made, it was successful and it’s called Thomas Was Alone.

Phasma Felis says:

Thomas Was Alone had literally not one single thing in common with either Minecraft or Tetris. Unless I suppose you count “a preponderance of right angles.”

• BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

Then I guess now would be a bad time to tell you there’s actually a Tetris movie in development?

5. RuySan says:

I just don’t understand the point in this licence to make an adventura game out of it.

• Not_Id says:

You and all the rest of us over the age of 10. But hey, it’s news I guess. And if its news then rps have got to post it…

• Turkey says:

Yeah, why would someone make a superfluous product based on a billion dollar franchise with a fanatical following. It doesn’t make any sense.

• Oakreef says:

There’s loads and loads of minecraft based machinima videos on youtube. They’re really popular with kids. To the gaming community minecraft is a crafting/survival game and this seems weird through that lens. To the wider world and especially to kids minecraft is something very different.

• Nevard says:

Yeah, if you look at the number of storylines built in Minecraft that already exist on Youtube… there’s your evidence of a very large potential userbase.
        It might not include many of us as users of this website, but there’s definitely a massive audience around for minecraft-based storytelling, for some reason.

• fish99 says:

Errr….. to … make … money maybe?

Grizzly says:

I did not understand why there would be a Lego Movie.

But there was a Lego Movie, and people loved it.

Grizzly says:

Addendum: I haven’t seen it, but I heard it was great fun – so now I do see why there was a lego movie, and I suspect this may be something similar.

• Vandelay says:

My thought exactly when seeing all of the comments about how terrible this will be. Everyone said the same about the Lego Movie before its release. Then it came out to (deserved) acclaim.

I’m not saying this will be equally fantastic and I can understand (and share scepticism,) but I won’t immediately write it off until reviews.

Chill people. Everything is Awesome.

• alms says:

TBH some were saying Borderlands would have been crap as well, citing the quality of writing and story in the Borderlands games as a reason.

Telltale has shown to have enough of writing talent to do interesting things with the licenses they approach, so I have no reason to think Minecraft will be of lesser quality on principle, just because it’s based on Minecraft.

Call me when the reviews are out, and I’ll make my mind up.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I’ve been playing lots of MC the last months but it doesn’t appeal to me either.
      Guess it’s just like walking dead or tales of bl. while having all this memeful characters like creepers and block-style.
      Someone likes it I guess and well why not.
      As well wouldn’t buy game “episodes” – that’s just a way to milk the cow for money like early access.

• Thornback says:

All the episodes as one purchase are just a regular game price (£18.99 on Steam for me), for Telltale games at least. Doesn’t milk any cash from you at all, so no worries there. They just release them over time is all.

6. GallonOfAlan says:

I think unless they get a proper modding API sorted out quickly then the Minecraft boat has largely passed and Microsoft have pissed 4 billion up the wall.

I base this entirely on the observation that when I was mentoring CoderDojo 12 or 18 months ago, the kids were all playing it, whereas last week none of them were.

• brucethemoose says:

Minecraft already has a good modding API: Bukkit/Spigot and Forge, which are all compatible with each other. Catching up would take ages, and the modding community is already firmly entrenched.

Also, the vast majority of Minecraft players play vanilla. If Microsoft sued Forge, Bukkit, Sponge, Glowstone and others later today, they wouldn’t lose much money.

• brucethemoose says:

But if Microsoft wants to rely on modding to keep everyone interested, what needs to change is how mods are distributed. The vanilla client needs some ability to download pre-screened client modpacks, as most users don’t even know about decent alternative launchers like AtLauncher or Curse.

7. Robmonster says:

For all of those saying they don’t understand the pint of this, you just need to take a look at all the Minecraft Diary type books on Amazon. They are all SUPER popular and there are thousands of them. Its a huge money spinner.

I know my children will just love playing in the Minecraft universe, even if it’s not actually Minecraft itself. They love everything about how that world works and will lap this up. I cant wait!

8. Captain Deadlock says:

I love Minecraft, especially modded, and this just looks deathly embarrassing. I wouldn’t even play this if it was free.

9. Nomaki says:

I get the feeling that this is the tipping point where TellTale start to slip back to where they were before The Walking Dead; making average / sub-par episodic games with any license they can get a hold of: Strongbad, Sam and Max, Back to the Future etc.

Hopefully this is an educated foray into a marketplace which is massive with 16 years and younger audience who are all about Minecraft still, and not just another round of license grabs.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I’m pretty sure that TT pursued this project for no other reason than because it’s a cash-cow. I suspect it’s more of an isolated case of a less-than-ideal (from a storytelling perspective) IP being used to generate income and fund future development, rather than a sign of any sort of decline. After all, Minecraft isn’t just “any license they can get their hands on”, it’s the single most popular PC game of all time. You can’t really compare it to a Back to the Future game released 25 years after the movie.

10. rustybroomhandle says:

Found this awesome Let’s Play of an early alpha… yup.

11. socrate says:

I never got what people find interesting in point in click of telltale they have horrible story and decision making that really have no impact for the end result which never change,they are also based on show and game that if you watched these instead have 100% more content in 1 episode then in these game….but then again i never like point and click to begin with id rather play a game with actual gameplay and a storyline that i actually play in then select from 3 option and some stupid moment that you end up having basically a quicktime event that make you target a little circle but change nothing in the end.

I see people here complaining about it being about minecraft but me…its the entire telltale game point and click line of game that i dont get,oh well they seems to be popular so i guess good for them,its just not my type of game i guess.