Desperados, Rough Riders: Secret Ponchos Is Out

My secret fashion shame is the conviction that I could pull off a poncho and cowboy hat. Clearly I couldn’t. But… maybe I could, in some kind of Wild West cyberpunk sort of… it’s a terrible idea. So I will continue to be fascinated by any game with a Wild West setting, and Secret Ponchos [official site] looks like it may be worth the attention.

Secret Ponchos is a 3v3 multiplayer top-down shooter of Wild West stereotypes throwing down, each with their own weapons and abilities. After a stretch on Steam Early Access, it’s now properly out.

Its lineup of ten outlaws includes Western stereotypes such as the bow-wielding Wolf, swirling Matador, mad-eyed Trapper, and dual-wielding Kid Red, whose weapons and abilities give them a load of different sneaky tricks, optimal combat ranges, and playstyles in general. Action’s real-time with line-of-sight, and developers Switchblade Monkeys are playing up influences from fighting games and MOBAs.

Along with online multiplayer, it does also have AI bots to duel against in a 1v1 mode or fill in spots on bigger games.

A launch discount brings Secret Ponchos to £8.24 on Steam, or it’s £22.49 for four copies. User reviews from folks who’ve played across Early Access look pretty good! Indie multiplayer games can struggle to build a lasting playerbase, but being a good game’s a fair start.

Here’s the stylin’ launch trailer:

As for how it actually plays, here are the developers scrapping in a recent livestream:

1. ztorm says:

“Third-person” ?

2. rokahef says:

I’ve never heard of this game until now, but it looks gorgeous. The character models in particular are stunning.

I’ll probably give it a try, but deep down I wish this was a single player RPG.

3. ran93r says:

It was a PS+ title months ago, played a little and it seemed like it could have been fun but the multiplayer was dead Jim.

4. Pani says:

I’m disappointed, reading the title, I was hoping for new Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive (the Commandos spin off).

I shall keep my dreams alive that some day we will see more Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines.

5. ronerberg says:

Real ponchos or Sears ponchos?

6. Lim-Dul says:

Reminds me of Bloodline Champions a bit. A highly underrated moba-ish arena brawler.

7. MetalGunTalk says:

3… 2… 1… DRAW!
    This game is super fast and super stylish.
    I’d say worth the price just to be immersed in the aesthetic and music which combined creates a wonderful, almost silly western vogue aura.

As for the gameplay, if you’re not into competition you can still have fun just trying out the 10 different outlaws, but if you’re a fan of challenge and mastery, the difficulty will ramp up as you get towards the top tier pvp players.

I’ve been playing this game for a little over half a year and I can say even if you run into the same player quite often in matchmaking, it’s still hella fun and almost quaint as you start to make rivals and allies.

• Sic says:

I think that’s pretty much the problem for any such game.

I want to play it, but I’ll hold off and see if a community develops. Everyone is probably going to do this.

8. CherryPhosphate says:

Is there an RPS group for this game? I’m on the fence about it – the price is good and the gameplay looks solid but without a crew to play it with I think I’d bounce off …