Ashes Of The Singularity Joins Early Access Oct 22nd

Ashes of the Singularity [official site] is best described as one of two things: Stardock doing a land-based version of Sins of a Solar Empire; or Stardock doing their own take on Supreme Commander’s formula. That is to say, it’s an RTS that operates on a vast scale. You’ll be have more methods to see a part of that bigness when it hits Steam Early Access on October 22nd.

Although the game has been in a more limited alpha for a couple of months, most of what Stardock have said of it so far has focused on the technology that underpins it. That’s partly because it’s the first game to use their own Nitrous engine, which is designed to power all their strategy games in future. It’s also apparently the first game to run on DirectX 12.

The initial Early Access release will include multiplayer and skirmishes against the AI, multiple maps, and a single race, the post-human faction, to play as. If you’re worried that your computer isn’t up to the task of simulating so many tiny lasers however, Stardock did release a benchmark tool at the same time as the first alpha back in August.

It’ll arrive on Early Access costing $40 (around £26), rising to $50 by the time the game is fully released.

1. Captain Deadlock says:

“You’ll be have more methods to see a part of that bigness”?

2. Shooty Deluxe says:

Looking forward to this.
    Love me some total annihilation/supreme commander and planetary annihilation was such a disappointment.
    Worst 40EUR I ever spent. Still feels so unfinished.

• brucethemoose says:

RPS’s own term, “Walletary Annihilation”, is quite appropriate. I still cringe when I see it in my Steam library… It reminds me how much I paid for the beta.

I want to jump into early access for this game, but PA turned me into a skeptic. I’m not touching any more RTS games until they’re feature-complete.

keithzg says:

Wait, this game has a zoom limit? If so, pass.

Crazy to think that SuCom 1 remains one of the most advanced RTS games to this day (arbitrary zoom levels, multi-monitor support, customizable UI styling…)

• EhexT says:

Would you like to play a game that claims to have bigger maps and more units than Supreme Commander but refuses to let you zoom out to see the entire map?

3. SomeDuder says:

Yeeeeaaaa Imna have to call bullshit on any bullish statements regarding this. Im sure the devs know of the existance of FAF, but unless they carbon copy it while updating it for The Modern World (64-architecture, multicore rendering, server-based sessions), then it’ll be nothing like FAF and thus not worth playing lmao

4. SealedSun says:

The alpha showed a lot of potential. But it could still go either way. Let’s hope they can avoid “doing a PA”.