Little Red Lie Is Next Game From Actual Sunlight Creator

Little Red Lie [official site] is a game inspired by the “growing gap in wealth and stability between the baby boomers and their descendants” and is the latest project from Actual Sunlight creator Will O’Neill. Much like O’Neill’s previous work, Little Red Lie looks to explore the human condition and how we fare as human beings in trying times and compromising situations. Taking a similar interactive story approach to Actual Sunlight, the game follows two characters at opposite ends of the wealth spectrum examining their overlapping relationship. Read on for details and a trailer:

Although the trailer doesn’t give much away, the Little Red Lie website offers more. Arthur Fox, we’re told, is an international public speaker, world-leading financial advisor and all-round Tony Stark-type; whereas Sarah Stone is an idle, unemployed soul who suffers from mental illness. Fox lives the high life, whereas Stone maintains a faux-middle class lifestyle by virtue of middle class parents-cum-financiers.

Again, going back to O’Neill’s previous work, it’s typically dark, yet typically intriguing. Story-wise, the game’s website notes this:

“Set in the eastern Toronto suburb of Scarborough, Little Red Lie is an interactive short story with adventure game elements.

“Inspired by the growing gap in wealth and stability between the baby boomers and their descendants, the game takes place in the relatively near future, and speculates a world in which major financial institutions begin to shift strategically towards securing the only asset of a generation with little to no value: Their inheritances.

“In the midst of this final collapse, you take control of two people living on either side of this equation. The contrast in their fates – and what it reveals – is only the foundation of what is ultimately a drama about debt, family and the truth about honesty.”

Although O’Neill had planned to release a demo by now, he’s not quite happy with it at this point in time and will wait until he thinks it’s ready.

heretic says:

Intriguing!

2. Big Murray says:

Actual Sunlight was one of the most powerful games I’ve ever played. It’ll be interesting to see how he applies the same style to a different topic.

3. Prolar Bear says:

This is very interesting, since I’m moving to that city. I’m not yet brave enough to play his games, though.

4. Monggerel says:

I think Mr Sunlight is trying to tell us something about the human condition

5. Eukatheude says:

As someone who has suffered from depression for most of my life, I thought Actual Sunlight was an actual load of BS. So I look forward to not enjoying this game, too, and ranting about it on the internet.

Phasma Felis says:

May I respectfully suggest that people experience depression in different ways? I’m sorry that Actual Sunlight didn’t resonate with you, but I’m not sure it’s fair to conclude that it was bullshit.

I am curious what issues you had with it.

• Distec says:

Can’t speak for Euka. But as somebody who’s also had depression since my late teens, I find that I too have a somewhat hostile reaction to titles like this sometimes. I don’t really have a firm understanding as to why, either. I’m not sure if it’s because I think the games are doing something wrong or if my intimacy with the subject material colors my perception of it.

I think a lot of it does have to do with everybody’s unique experiences with depression, as you said. When a depressive scenario or thought process doesn’t match up with your own, it’s easy to see them as being illegitimate even when that’s really not the case. But I do think this genre can veer into some some self-indulgence and wank. That may come off as pejorative, but I’m not really treating it as a mark against them. These are often therapeutic, expressive works where the creator can work out some of their own shit. But that’s why I treat them more as personal projects than games with audiences proper. The occasional article or headline I read where a “depression game” is framed as some kind of universal statement about it always rubs me wrong.