Out Of Time: Life Is Strange Finale Trailer

“Gripping” and “gut-wrenching” are the words used to describe the final episode of Life is Strange [official site] in this morning’s press release. If the end of Max and Chloe’s story manages to tug at my heart-strings as well as wrenching my guts, it might give me a full internal makeover. For those who’ve been following along, the trailer below is a lovely recap to get you in the mood for the ending, which arrives tomorrow. If you’ve been waiting for all five episodes to release before starting, avoid the trailer and its spoilers.

Life is Strange has been one of my favourite surprises of the year. Initially, the hella pervasive teen-speak put me off but by mid-way through the first episode, I’d started to enjoy spending time with the characters. I play plenty of games packed with characters that sound like embarrassing impersonations of gruff military types or overly sincere wizards – Arcadia Bay’s weird slanguage is a pleasant change.

In ‘Episode 5: Polarized’ Max learns that time is impossible to control as she moves inexorably towards the most agonising decision of her life. Arcadia Bay, meanwhile, is preparing to weather a huge storm as Life is Strange comes to a gripping and gut wrenching conclusion.

I’m excited. And slightly anxious.

1. mukuste says:

But what if I don’t want my gut wrenched?

2. geisler says:

Finally i can play this game. I never play these episodic games “as they come out”, i think that’s just abysmal for continuity what with months between releases. Think i’ll enjoy playing this in one trek.

• Kamahlk says:

You’re honestly missing out big time if you ask me. Part of the magic of this game is that it REALLY does pull at your heart strings and leaves you in such suspense for the months between episodes. You’ll come up with your own crazy theories and ideas of what could possibly happen and just overall not be able to stop thinking about the game. Sitting down and just playing through all 5 episodes in one or two sittings will still be good, but you really are missing out.

gritz says:

Agreed. LIS is one of the rare episodic series that really has the emotional depth and character development to do the episodic format justice.

Cliffhangers only work when you actually have time between them and their resolution.

• Kala says:

…Not just that, but I actually need a break between releases :p
          (a little lie down and a cry :s)

• rabbit says:

Yep. Normally I’d totally agree but Life is Strange is a game which … it just works perfectly in the episodic format. Never tend to appreciate the gaps inbetween installments but it really, really works in this case.

Damien Stark says:

To each their own, but that’s just not how I experience… anything really. Interesting serial drama that leaves me on a cliffhanger will definitely leave me in suspense… for about three days.

Then my mind will shift over to the other 10 movies and 20 TV shows and 5 games I’m consuming (not to mention work and personal life) and by the time your original drama resumes, I’ve lost all sense of importance and urgency. Hell, I’m lucky if I can rememeber who all the characters are and what’s going on.

Binge watching is best watching.

• anHorse says:

Life is Strange actually works really well as an episodic game, unlike TWD or Kentucky Route Zero where it just feels like a game has been chopped into five

• plugav says:

I didn’t really have that feeling with either TWD or KRZ, but the latter game’s release schedule is really problematic. At this point, while I remember the basic plot, I have absolutely no memory of how I played it, which is not a good thing in a game based (for me, at least) entirely around roleplaying.

As for LiS, I haven’t really been playing it from the start (I got it some time after episode 4), but I will say that episodes 1-3 fit very neatly into satisfying daily play sessions.

(Out of necessity, I broke up the 4th into two sittings – the “tear-jerk” and the “gut punch,” let’s call them – which is why, I imagine, I didn’t have as much of a problem with length and pacing as others did.)

• somnolentsurfer says:

Yeah, I’ve loved the enforced gap giving an opportunity to speculate with others about what might happen next and where the plot’s going. I’d never have got that if I’d played it in one go. I’d have been afraid to look at anything at all until I’d finished it for fear of spoilers.

I did play TWD season one in go and really wished I hadn’t. Just being stuck in a world that dark for that long really got to me!

3. Frings says:

I AM SO READY. (Read: I am not ready.)

4. Penguin_Factory says:

Okay, but I better get to friend-zone Warren one more time.

5. Winged Nazgul says:

Yeah, the teen angst BS nearly put me off. I’m just too old to even identify but I’m so glad I persevered with this title. Really looking forward to the potential gut-wrenching climax.

6. McDan says:

Every other episodic game just hasn’t had the heft that Life is Strange has, more so than most other full release games even. Greatly looking forward to it, probably my GOTY if it finishes strong. While at the same time dreading the emotional turmoil it will bring.

zapatapon says:

One of my best game experiences of the last years, love the art which looks (and sounds) like nothing else.

Still quite worried about the final ending and what the looming reveal about Rachel will be. (Fearing a personality disorder shit final plot twist. “Polarized”…)

8. Monggerel says:

Some things are timeless.
    Others are simply outside of time.

One’s precious.
    The other, pointless.

• Monggerel says:

Life is a Stranglehold left me feeling…

Um. I’ll have a smoke and get back to that.

So.
      Life is Strange is the mindkiller. Life is Strange is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      Life is Strange is the yearning, hungry void in the hollow heart of existence.
      Life is Strange is the craven, tortured displacement of personal responsibility.
      Life is Strange is the absence you feel in place of the love your parents never cared enough to show you.
      Life is Strange is the sun-bleached ruin of the most important ship in the least important desert.
      Life is Strange is the horror of running out of toilet paper.
      Life is Strange is a sequence of words steadily losing any recognisable meaning, falling apart into gibberish.
      Life is Strange is the right shoe on the wrong foot.
      Life is Strange is the heavy judger of man!
      Life is Strange is the zeitgeist of a generation unstuck in time.
      Life is Strange is the blood flowing through your fingers. Through the soil. Up in those trees.

Life is Strange is a laundry list of acceptablenesses.
      Life is Strange is okay, and it is exactly and precisely okay.

9. welverin says:

Huh, it is downloading now.

• Frings says:

Same here. Are… are they releasing it a day early? Or is it one of those pre-launch day downloads?

• somnolentsurfer says:

They’re French. It’s releasing at the start of 20th, European time.

But I need to wait till morning. Must. Not. Start. Now.

• Frings says:

I showed no such restraint, and… I. This game ruined me.

• plugav says:

But that’s logical! Game release times aren’t supposed to operate on logic!

If I’d known, I could’ve already finished it and been miserable about the ending. Instead, I’m miserable because literally the first thing I saw when I went online were Life Is Strange spoilers.

10. bill says:

I haven’t read anything here, so it may have been already addressed, but can you guys do a quick spoiler-free review/recommendation about Life is Strange as a whole after playing the final episode?

I’m interested in it, but trying to avoid spoilers. I heard the latter episodes weren’t quite as good.. so I’d like to know how the whole series hangs together before deciding whether to pick it up.

• brucethemoose says:

Do you like games that are basically interactive movies? Think Mass Effect without the combat, plus save-whoring that’s actually game mechanic (so you can explore those branching dialogue trees all you want).

Can’t say anything about Episode 5 yet, but I liked everything up to Episode 4.

• DeLameter says:

Re. Dialog branches: I found that after the first episode, I no longer explored the dialog branches (unless it was required to solve a puzzle), but instead simply accepted to go with the flow of the story.

I don’t know if I’m going to replay the game to see those other branches as well, but making the story mine (so to speak) turned out to be more important than ‘seeing everything there is’.

• somnolentsurfer says:

I’m about to start episode 5, but generally I think it’s been on an upward trajectory. Admittedly occasionally wobbly, but upwards nonetheless.

11. Frings says:

Guys, I just played through the whole thing in one sitting.

Oh my God.

I have to be up for work in two hours. All I can do is sit here slaw jacked.

Oh. My. God.

• cqdemal says:

I put work on hold to play this episode. Now it’s 4pm and I’ve yet to recover the will to resume working.

12. brucethemoose says:

Does anyone else get… what’s the word… closure anxiety?

Sometimes I don’t want to read/watch/play the finale of a good story because I don’t want it to end. Heck, sometimes I never make it to the finale for that reason… Would you believe me if I told you I’ve done all the quests in Skyrim more than once, spent the same amount of time modding it, but I’ve never actually killed Alduin?

Anyway, I feel that way about Episode 5. Finishing the game means I have to move onto the other boring games in my queue with boring characters and excessive amounts of boring weapons, or I have to resort to adventure/story games that don’t have the voice acting or level of detail Life is Strange has.

• Kala says:

“Does anyone else get… what’s the word… closure anxiety?”

(I rarely finish games for that reason :/)

13. DeLameter says:

LiS is not a perfect game: there are technical issues, as there there are story-telling issues, and using angsty teens as protagonists won’t connect to everyone.

But Gods! isn’t it a step forward in the interactive fiction game genre. Halfway through this last episode, after the plot developed the way I anticipated it to, the game took a sharp turn and threw me for a loop.

Plus it had at least two game design choices which were subtle, but really helpful (though probably both could be considered spoilers).

I liked the episodic nature of the game: I could play each individual episode in a night or two, making it easier to fit the game into my schedule. The wait time between episodes sometimes required that I had to re-acquaint myself with the time-travel controls, but that was only a small price to pay. Movie trilogies come out on a slower schedule, and sometimes cost even more.

LiS – Well worth the admission.