Prey For The Gods Is All Very Shadow Of The Colossus

Prey for the Gods [official site] wants to remind you of Shadow of the Colossus, wants you to compare it to Shadow of the Colossus, and wants you to go round telling your chums “It’s like Shadow of the Colossus but with snow and on PC.” Because it is, really.

With a desolate land, a young hero, and boss monsters large enough that you’ll need to scale them to murder them, it’s not shy about its source material. If Team Ico’s PlayStation 2 classic had ever received an official PC release, it might be decried as a rip-off. Instead, it’s more something folks have waited years for. Watch this:

Developers No Matter Studios explain the premise:

“In Prey for the Gods, you play a lone hero sent to the edge of a dying world to discover the mystery behind a never-ending winter. Arriving with only the clothes on your back, you must survive the colossal dangers that you encounter. To restore balance and reclaim the land from the brink, you will be faced with questions that not even a God knows the answer to.”

Presumably those questions include “What happens after I murder you?” That’s a hazy one for gods to answer.

I’m up for some Shadow of the Colossus-y fun, though I’ll restrain my excitement for now. It’s awfully ambitious, and No Matter are only three folks working in their evenings. Still, what they have to show so far is pretty nice. It’ll be on Windows and Mac, though we’ve no firm word of a release date yet.

1. MrFinnishDude says:

More Shadow of the Colossus is fine by me.
    It’s like you ate the best pizza in your life last week, and someone offers to give you more of that same type of pizza but it’s just from a different pizzeria. Sure it’s not the exact same pizza, but hell yeah gimme gimme.

gritz says:

People have been pointing at SoC as a great game worthy of emulation for years and years. And now that someone’s actually those unique gameplay elements, everyone’s falling over themselves to nitpick it for potentially not perfectly capturing the magic of the original.

• Razumen says:

It’s the internet, a wretched hive of scum and villainy, what did you expect? :P Seriously though, the most negative people are always the loudest.

• Jokerme says:

SotC was by no means a genius idea or anything. It was a very simple idea: Giant monsters killed with great fights and environmental puzzles.

What makes SotC special is how hard it nails the gameplay and atmosphere. It is made through hard and skillful work of very talented men/women. I watched an interview with one of the developers and he was talking about how countless troubles they faced while making a game like this.

So yeah, it’s a simple idea that requires perfect execution. That’s why not many people dare to try making something similar.

• Kaeoschassis says:

While I totally agree that an enormous amount of technical effort and perseverance went into SOTC and resulted in the gem we got, don’t underestimate the importance of the idea. It might seem simple, but just because “anybody could have thought of it”, doesn’t mean “anybody” did. SOTC was entirely unique when it came out and is still mostly unique now. Sometimes an idea comes across as incredibly simple in hindsight, but well, gaming still managed to go decades without anybody coming up with SOTC, y’know?

• Jokerme says:

I don’t agree that was the reason. I think nobody thought it was viable. Come on now, do you really think nobody ever imagined a cool fight against a giant monster where you fight it fair and square with a sword, one on one in an open world, as realistically as possible?

There are lots of platformers, shooters, and RPGs with giant fights like Painkiller, Final Fantasy etc, but there isn’t anything like SotC other than probably God of War. GoW mostly has quick time events and very linear level design so it doesn’t really count. But considering even AAAA (I put the extra A for emphasis) developers can’t do it properly with an open ended level design, imagine how difficult it really is.

Similarly, I believe what Last Guardian is going through is something related to the difficulty of its gameplay design. I have a huge respect for Team ICO for what they are doing and pretty sure Last Guardian will achieve greatness again if they release what they aim for.

On the other hand, while I do believe the reason for its uniqueness is difficulty of execution, I don’t want sound like I’m taking the idea of SotC lightly. Imagining and designing a game world like that is genius in itself.

• Freud says:

What if it’s not even pizza, but haggis?

• Kaeoschassis says:

In this instance it’s more like I had the best pizza of my entire life ten years ago, and the pizzeria vanished off the face of the planet the next day.

Seriously, as somebody said further down, it’d be a different matter if we’d had tons of SOTC clones, but we just haven’t. It gave me an itch no other game has ever been able to scratch.

Now, I dunno if this one’ll be able to scratch it or not. But dear god, by all means let them try.

• girard says:

It’s like you ate some really great pizza ten years ago, and now someone is bringing you some reheated slices of that same pizza, hoping you’ll be as excited about it now, despite there being a bunch of really great Indian, Greek, and Vietnamese places open selling stellar – and fresher – food.

• cpt_freakout says:

It’s like you made a pizza ten years ago, left in the oven, and then a raccoon infiltrated your house three months and a third ago, half-ate it, and then your Italian cousin found it, put some ice-cream on it, and then used it as a wall clock. Oh and then you eat it, sometime in 2032 after the Great Myopic Wars. No?

Ninja Dodo says:

And as you’re eating that pizza, you think: This is not at all like a videogame! …and what were we talking about again?

2. Zach Fett says:

Ooo this actually looks quite good. I like that the player leaves an actual trail in the snow. You don’t see that done well too often and it’s a nice little detail.

I’m cool with it if this game is just a ripoff of SotC as long as it plays decently enough. That game was great and having more giants to kill is always better!

3. haldolium says:

Sadly the music is so generic, that the entire trailer creates an atmosphere of the exact opposite of what made SoC one of the greatest games ever. The character doesn’t look very interesting either and has a shallow face without depth… hopefully it’s just the trailer, but this approach sure doesn’t remind me of SoC, only because it has huge monster to climb on. SoC has been a lot more than that.

yhancik says:

Oh god that trailer, it’s so formulaic. I wanted to say “if you’re a small indie, don’t try to copy Hollywood and make your own thing”, but considered the game, maybe “making their own thing” isn’t their thing ;)

4. ribby says:

‘The colossal dangers’ heheh

5. jfml says:

Too bad the colossus is just a generic fantasy oger. It doesn’t have the surreal, otherworldly design the SotC creatures had. I hope they’ll work on that.

Ninja Dodo says:

As a fan of both snowy landscapes and SOTC I am intrigued.

7. draglikepull says:

Has a game that only a few people actually played ever received so much attention and had so much influence as Shadow of the Colossus?

• Wulfram says:

Has Shadow of Colossus had a lot of influence? It doesn’t seem like there are lots of games like it out there, though perhaps I’m missing the connections because I haven’t played it.

• draglikepull says:

There are a bunch of games that have aped the “climb up giant monster to find weak spot” element of the game. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (1 & 2) and Outland immediately come to mind, though I’m sure there are more that I’m forgetting. I think one of the Little Big Planet games had a section or two inspired by SotC. Titan Souls is pretty transparently inspired by SotC as well.

• Razumen says:

Castlevania’s take on it was more QTE than physics based like SoTC, it’s *maybe* inspired by, but not really similar at all gameplay wise.

• skyturnedred says:

I can only come up with two games, Dragon’s Dogma (climb on bosses) and Titan Souls (only boss fights).

Ninja Dodo says:

I think very few games have matched (or even tried to match) the physicality and dynamic nature of the creature interaction but if you’re just talking small avatar fighting giant boss in general, then sure… and aesthetically other games have touched on similar elements.

Ninja Dodo says:

…but yeah, the intricate interactive movement is the hard part, which is why it hasn’t been copied much. If they can pull that off, this could be really good.

• Not_Id says:

@drag: A lot of people have played SotC. You can also download it and Ico on PSN or buy them both on a disc.

@Anyone thinking of buying Prey for the Gods and have never played Shadow of the Colossus, you can pick up a PS2 and a copy of SotC that’ll probably work out cheaper than buying this clone.

X_kot says:

a) That is the perfect definition of a “cult classic,” which SoTC is, and b) although you are correct that relatively few people bought it on release, it has built a following since then. For example, Sony released an HD remake of it and Ico for the PS3.

• frightlever says:

Adam Sandler definitely liked it.

• bill says:

Ico.

And probably a large number of other games. Most influential movies/bands etc.. were pretty niche, but the ones that were influenced by them became the mainstream.

8. BathroomCitizen says:

I’m happy they are paying homages to Shadow of the Colossus, really, but it’s a bit sad that in 2015 we have to resurrect gameplay from 10 years ago.

I’m not saying that’s bad gameplay – my favourite games are from the end of the ’90s – merely thinking out loud that in a 10-years time span we haven’t come far along in terms of gameplay innovation.

• ButteringSundays says:

We haven’t come far because somebody is making a game like an old game?

I don’t even know what kind of cave you’d have to be living in to think this is even remotely true.

• BathroomCitizen says:

Guys, guys, calm down. I wasn’t trying to offend anyone or anything.

BathroomCitizen sure loves old games – I’ve already stated that a lot in my posts (I still regularly play Doom and think that it’s the best fps ever made.

BUT.

A thing is innovating starting from old gameplay.
        Another is literally copying an old game. A wonderful old game, nonetheless – heck, I freakin’ love SotC – but it’s still totally rehashing it.

Anyway, I don’t wanna cause a big debate: the game is still in heavy development and No Matter Studios still get the benefit of doubt of making an awesome game. We can’t judge anything right now.

gritz says:

The game of the month here at RPS is a 16-bit JRPG, and by far the most talked about game of the year is Super Mario Maker.

• jonahcutter says:

Shadows of the Colossus is one of those paths in games that simply wasn’t examined much, in some ways. I say in some ways, because the tone and atmosphere has made many appearances over the years in various games. The climbing around on giant moving things hasn’t.

Even that though has shown glimmers:

Dragon’s Dogma has some similar aspects in that you actually do physically interact with some beasts by climbing up on them. And it’s coming to PC finally, sometime in early 2016 supposedly!

Another glimmer, though it may seem an absurd at first glance, is Gang Beasts. It’s physics-based combat and movement, and ability to climb and interact with large objects that are in motion, reminded me a bit of SotC, on a mechanical level. Fighting while on the ferris wheel in GB is not a huge difference in mechanics from scaling one of SotC’s colossi. A giant monster or giant robot mode for Gang Beasts that has you fighting and climbing said monster/robot as it tries to smash a city and/or you could be excellent.

• Jay Load says:

Bathroom Person, there’s worth in resurrecting gameplay from 20 and 30 years ago, never mind just from 2005! Great gameplay is great gameplay forever. Or should we not be playing chess anymore because it’s not original anymore or not pushing the envelope?

• Koshelkin says:

That’s maybe because not everything was a rehash back then. I mean .. not really everything in the closest sense is a rehash nowadays but the big-selling titles all combine certain elements which are deemed popular. Like Open-World games atm.

gritz says:

The “there are no original games these days” whinge was played out back in the 1990’s when everything was ripping off either DOOM or Warcraft or Mario 64.

• klops says:

Warcraft copied the gameplay from Dune 2 and the setting from Warhammer.

9. Rhodokasaurus says:

This looks damn good to me for a team of 3. Best of luck to them.

I remember the first time I played SotC I bounced off it hard. This was before thousands of internet gaming sites, so I didn’t know much about it other than there was critical buzz. I was expecting something Zelda-like, and it was very much not that. Then years later I tried it again on a whim and it became my favorite game ever, which still holds up pretty well. I’d say it was honest-to-goodness ahead of its time.

Interesting that it really seems to have captured the universal adoration of specifically developers more than any other subsection of gamers.

10. Pliqu3011 says:

On one hand, more SotC is great of course, but on the other it seems like they’re missing a lot of the finer nuances that made Shadow of the Colossus such a brilliant game (or at least this trailer).
    The tone of the (generic) music and the design of the giant don’t feel right. SotC was never just a game about killing a list of monsters.
    Actually it wasn’t even a game about killing monsters at all, throughout the game it was very clear that you were the aggressor, the monster.

11. Jakkar says:

This feels like wannabeism of the lowest order, at least upon first glance… SotC had a soul first, and the fact the underlying technology was superior to anything else on the PS2 was secondary. The fact it had absolutely fantastic gameplay, again, just a thing that apparently happens when wonderful people are given the time and money to make a game.

You can cargo-cult the appearance of it, and miss what made it special by a mile…

• Razumen says:

Meh, even if the story on SotC was subpar, it would still be a great game because of ti’s graphics and gameplay. Not everyone takes the same things out of every game.

gritz says:

This post feels like fanboyism of the lowest order.

12. jonahcutter says:

Even if this doesn’t match the story, tone and atmosphere of SotC, it could still be immense fun.

In comparison, I had a great time with Lords of the Fallen. It was derivative in look (of Warhammer), but was well done within that. It even managed to improve on some of the DS mechanics a bit, though it fell well short of DS in story and lore. It was a Dark Souls clone, but a pretty good one that I would continue to follow.

If this just manages to scratch the SotC itch in a similar way, it could be good. And if it manages to carve out its own identity and tell a good story too, then even better.

13. Eight Rooks says:

Shadow of the Colossus is pretty close to my favourite game of all time, but even though this looks a little… shaky, even for an early video (so-so monster design, awkward animations etc.) it’s not like I’m thinking HOW DARE THEY. Why would I be? More power to the devs if they can actually get this out of the door – as others have said, it’s not as if we’ve had a wave of identical clones. I’m not holding my breath I’ll enjoy it as much, but unless it somehow ends up absolutely terrible I’m thinking I may well enjoy it quite a bit.

14. thekelvingreen says:

I bet it will still be out before The Last Guardian.

particlese says:

Oh hey, cool! I just finished reading Eurogamer’s re-run of an article they did on the secret-seekers of Shadow of the Colossus. The PS3 “remastered” collection of Ico and SotC might still be waiting a while in my backlog, but I really do like the sound of this sort of thing.

16. SMGreer says:

Whilst I’m not immediately sold on this, it has piqued my interest.

Best of luck to the devs though, making a game that will garner obvious comparisons to one of the greatest games ever made, is not going to make things easy for them.

17. racccoon says:

Honestly why do whats already been done n dusted.

• skyturnedred says:

Because otherwise we would have two new games to play each year.

18. Scandalon says:

That looks remarkably pretty. Website has a nice/clever parallax scrolling thing too. Trailer music and overall feel is rather generic and worrying, but the negativity posted here just makes me sad, and the thought processes utterly bewildering.

“Nobody has done a decent riff/follow-up to SotC in 10 years, and now that someone is trying, the first bit we’ve seen (by 3 people, no less) isn’t immediately 4000% better graphics and identical in every other detail to my particular memory and emotional response to the original, therefore they shouldn’t even try. Also, their (one) monster design isn’t like the originals but is also unoriginal at the same time. I will now go play my collection of 50 games released this year that are all completely original in gameplay and art design from anything that has ever come before.”

19. Alien says:

Can someone recommend me other games with a winter/snow setting?

For example:

– The Thing
    – Penumbra
    – The Long Dark
    – Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star (the greatest winterly atmosphere I have ever seen in a game)

Ninja Dodo says:

Can’t think of many games that takes place exclusively in wintery areas but these are some games with good snow:

Brothers A Tale of of Two Sons (towards end of the game: link to youtube.com)

Outcast (starting Ranzaar region: link to youtube.com) note: only a small region, sadly, but snow is really crunchy.

Assassin’s Creed 3 (winter season: link to youtube.com) …one of the weaker games in the series but the snow looks rather nice on Boston and New York.

Honourable mention:

Little Big Adventure Relentless (the Hamalayi mountains: link to youtube.com), graphically outdated but still charming.

• skyturnedred says:

Max Payne (though do you spend most of your time indoors)
      Lost Planet
      Company of Heroes 2
      Dead Space 3 (parts of it)
      Mafia 2 (first parts at least)

Ninja Dodo says:

I just realized I hadn’t played Never Alone yet (link to youtube.com). Playing it now. Talk about stunning snowy landscapes… also lovely window into another culture.

• haldolium says:

Maybe take a look at Kholat, it’s very recent and has some nifty snow shading (UE4)