Steredenn Is a Roguelikelike Shoot ‘Em Up

Drills, metallic jaws, buzzsaws, flamedrones, and all manners of lasers, bullets, and missiles are amongst the weapons of Steredenn [official site], a roguelikelike side-scrolling shoot ’em up which came out earlier this month. I’d meant to post about Steredenn after playing a bit but kept getting distracted by other games so look: it’s out, I hear it’s pretty cool, and here’s a trailer:

Not bad-looking that, aye? Its levels are procedurally-generated, and all end in boss fights that, if you can best them, will offer you a random assortment of upgrades to choose one from. Perhaps you’ll pick a regenerating shield, or a damage boost for one weapon class, a bonus to your score, or goodness knows what. Between boss drops and weapons scavenged from ships (you can hold two at once), you can customise your run in a whole load of different directions. I dig its look too.

It has that most wonderful of roguelikelike features too: daily runs. Every day, players have one chance to top the leaderboards on a run with the same levels, weapons, and bosses as everyone else. Though with The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth and its daily runs right around the corner, I don’t know how much time I’ll have for other roguelikelikes.

Steredenn is out on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It’s on Steam and Itch but the best place to go may be this Humble widget, where for $13 you’ll get a Steam key and a DRM-free version.

1. mukuste says:

Seems like roguelike shmup is a genre now!

This looks very pretty, but the bullet hell aspects put me off; that genre is masochism to me.

2. Kefren says:

Good name for a game with a false teeth weapon.

3. Tacroy says:

The one problem with Steredenn is that, as far as I can tell, there’s no persistence between runs – your stats are the same every time, and you always start with the same equipment.

It would be nice if you could unlock the ability to reduce some of the randomness in upgrades and weapon drops, since sometimes you just want to mess around with a specific weapon and there’s no way to do that aside from the boss arena.

The other problem is that it’s not really procedurally generated – there’s a few specific waves and bosses for every level, which get remixed.

• Nixitur says:

Having no persistence or permanent unlocks is the entire point of roguelikes.
      Though from what you said, the starting equipment is always the same, too, which is very unlike even traditional roguelikes which at least randomize your starting gear. Sounds like the game could use that.

4. Rhodokasaurus says:

I like this game. The excellent animations overcome the fact that it’s another retro-style pixel game. I dig the music despite it (again) being retro for retro’s sake. It is balls hard though, and there’s no persistence. You either win the game or die, usually in the first 10 minutes. Since I’m never ever going to win, I wish it was a different genre, but I enjoyed it for what it is.

Honestly though I think it’d be doing a lot better with a different name. “Steredenn” doesn’t mean anything to me, very hard to remember.

• Rhodokasaurus says:

Heh, funny, I remember the music being “retro” even though on second glance it really isn’t. Enjoyed it though.

5. aoanla says:

For those commenting on the name, ‘Steredenn’ is Breton for ‘a star’. Given the creators are French, I guess at least one of them speaks some Breton.

6. Terics says:

I enjoy this game. I was kind of put off at first, but they made a pretty decent bullet hell experience. I think the difficulty is actually pretty spot on also.

7. Kaeoschassis says:

Oh hey, this is out now? Have to pick it up then. I swear I lose track of stuff I’d decided I’d buy on release so easily these days.

8. racccoon says:

Much that I love these types of games of old.
    I really think they need to of created a denture game as the companies name is a good toothpaste name.

“Steredenn it cleans whiter than white”