Level Up! Knights Of Pen & Paper 2 Released

A bit like in that cartoon, yeah?

A dungeon-crawling RPG where you control a party of pals who are themselves playing a tabletop RPG is a pretty cute idea, but I heard the charm of Knights of Pen & Paper wore off in grinding. Developers Kyy Games went away to work on a sequel, and now Knights of Pen & Paper 2 [official site] has made its way from pocket telephones to PC for your dungeon-crawling delight. Hypothetical delight. I haven’t heard too much about this follow-up yet.

Right, so, yes, seeing your party seated at a table as ~the world of imagination~ swirls around them is pretty cute, and I especially enjoy ideas like customising your game room to affect the players, it’s a shame the game doesn’t run with it more. It mostly manifests as characters chatting about what’s going on and making remarks of a humorous nature drawing reference to other creative works and manifestations of culture.

When ‘references’ are listed as a feature, I reach for my Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and raise the hand grenade up on high, saying, “O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.” And the Lord does grin, and the people do feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and I shatter my own hands with a ball-peen hammer (second hand’s smashed holding the hammer in my teeth) so I can never do that ever again. While I’m apparently grumbling about the broader idea of referential jokes in games, it usually gets my dander up when a game goes “Hey, check it out, I’m doing this thing that’s really annoying in other games ho ho those foolish games” – yes, I notice you’re doing that annoying thing, because it still sucks. Never forget that even if you’re doing something ironically, you’re still doing it – so think hard about it. You wouldn’t ironically eat poo, would you? That… was not where I thought that tangent was going. It’s not even particularly directed at Knights of Pen & Paper. I just came here to tell you Knights of Pen & Paper 2 is out, you know.

Knights of Pen & Paper 2 is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux through Steam for £7.99. Here, have a launch trailer to make up for my cold-addled rambling:

1. rondertaker says:

the first one was an utterly boring grindfest, even when used as a phone-based life distraction it wore thin so quickly i barely touched it.

• Morph says:

the first one was an utterly addicting adventure that I completed on my phone twice over. I couldn’t stop touching it.

The second is not so good, seems much shorter and with less content. It’s still ok, just a bit disappointing. I stopped touching it after one play through.

• internisus says:

I’m with rondertaker. I was looking forward to it, but the choose-your-own difficulty system where the player determines how many enemies participate in each fight made everything seem meaningless to me.

There are better things to do with your phone and much, much better things to do with your PC.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

The original could have been the worst RPG I ever played. The most disappointing thing about it is how it cops out of delivering on its promised USP. Think of all the ways they could have played with the idea of managing a bunch of people playing an RPG. Instead all it delivers is the occasional comment from a player (in extremely awkward English – I guess it’s hard to find native speakers on the internet??) and some items you can buy to put on the table that give lacklustre bonuses. At its core it’s just another dull, repetitive, japanese inspired turn-based RPG combat grindfest.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Played the same game, around ~80% it got tedious and boring but “worst” RPG???
          I played stuff from early access (rated to the clouds by gift key users) and games from the 00s bargain bins (threw some away immediately). Unfinished and broken. Those could qualify for “worst”, this one is ~7/10 in my book, good time-waster.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

From the sounds of things you’ve just played more of them than I have :) There are plenty of other terrible RPGs but I guess I forgive games in the genre more easily for being unbalanced or buggy than I do for being bland, repetitive and uninspiring.

• Jalan says:

Clicked the article intending to post similar.

The only difference with myself is that since I started it, I now unfortunately have to finish all the achievements for it (out of compulsion to do so). Normally, clearing those out would net some sense of enjoyment but with the first game, the grind just sucks the fun out of it.

• thelastpointer says:

I loved the first one, it was superb. I was playing it on my phone, while riding the subway to and from work, so the grind didn’t really matter (two stops for an average battle). The jokes were just enough to keep me going, and each day I got one or two smiles from it.

I must admit that sitting down and playing it for hours would be an entirely different (and probably worse) experience, but in small, 5-10 minute chunks it keeps being entertaining for a long time.

2. Myrdinn says:

I gave the original a fair share of hours in public transportation. Bought this one and it seems to be more of the same.

Bluerps says:

I played the first one to occupy my hands and eyes while I listened to a podcast. It worked very well for that. I’ll probably get this one too, for the same purpose.

Serrit says:

You wouldn’t ironically eat poo, would you?

Well that sorts out today’s “Quote of the day”… :-)

• Geewhizbatman says:

Of course you’d never ironically eat poo. You can only eat it with true conviction. Such is the only way to attain Divine level status.

But yes, it is a surprise they made a second one when the first didn’t ever seem to really wow anyone. Then again I think that way about many sequels. Who knows, maybe they’ll just keep making them and one day Knights of Pen and Paper 10: Oculus Rift Neural Implant Compatible Edition will finally get every aspect of playing an uncomfortable game of poorly planned D&D with other people less looking to explore a world so much as escape from their current one, however they can, for a fleeting sense of importance so long as they remain quiet and docile–really perfect.

• Hedgeclipper says:

But that would inspire a host of UGPPD&DWOPLLTEAWSOMASEFTCOHTCFAFSOISLATRQAD -lites and -likes sometime about 2040 they must be stopped now before future generations learn to hate us.

5. mukuste says:

There’s a nice rant. As far as I’m concerned, referential humor (aka Reddit) can just sod off entirely. “Hey look, this guy just repeated a tenuously relevant phrase from Slightly Obscure Anime that I also watched! I feel special and clever! For some reason I also find this funny!”

6. BTA says:

Do note that Kyy Games are not the developers of the first game. That was made by Behold Studios, who went on to make Chroma Squad. I guess because the first was published by Paradox, they gave the sequel to another team?