Rocket League Adds DeLorean DMC-12 In New DLC

In 1981, the DeLorean Motor Company started producing its first – and only – car, the DeLorean DMC-12. It was a flop, and the company shut down a few years later. The DMC-12 was expensive, heavy, and slow, so for a good long while many simply sat and rusted quietly in garages, car yards, and barns – too much work to fix up.

The car’s spaceship-y stainless steel panelling and gull-wing doors have found a few fans amongst collectors in recent years but, even so, this is a curious development: a DMC-12 arrived in Rocket League [official site] today as DLC.

It’s an unusual choice of car to revive in a video game, but I suppose ‘gearheads’ (the poor addicts!) do prize rarity. If you want to show off your carcred as you play carball, you can pick up the DMC-12 DLC on Steam for £1.59. It includes a ‘burning rubber’ trail for your car, which seems a little cruel given the DMC-12’s sluggish performance was partially responsible for its poor reception.

However, do be warned that Rocket League’s version of the DMC-12 is heavily customised with neon lighting, rocket boosters, an aftermarket engine poking out the boot, and some kind of rotating hoverwheels. Even for Rocket League’s silly futuresport setting, this a bit excessive.

I question the wisdom of trying to attract classic car fans this way – you won’t find Le Louvre selling those ghastly prints of the Mona Lisa holding a lit jazz cigarette.

ErraticGamer says:

I see what you did there.

BRB gotta buy a car.

2. HighHill says:

Today is the day in the future they went back to in Back to the Future, isn’t it?

• JFS says:

Yeah. Congratulations on actually not noticing it up until now. Facebook was awash with witty comments from like everybody this morning.

Maybe you’re in another time zone and that explains it. Or maybe… maybe you’re FROM THE FUTURE? *dramatic chipmunk*

• rustybroomhandle says:

Pretty sure today was when Skynet was to become self-aware.

• OctoStepdad says:

Skynet was so clever it knew everybody would be talking about Back To The Future and start its global domination.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

The entirety of Twitter for the past couple days really needs to be burned to the ground. Even the Star Wars trailer release couldn’t interrupt this shit. And I like those movies!

• HighHill says:

I’m not a social kind of guy. Not on facebook, not on twitter, and I feel that ingnorance truly is bliss.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

yeah, other than RPS, PCWorld, and CinemaBlend (All gaming or pc news) I don’t use social media for anything news or viral related. I remember the day my cousins sang that Friday song and I wanted to blow my fking brains out before ever watching the terrible video

3. Robert The Rebuilder says:

Why did they attach a Mr. Reactor to the back of it? Isn’t gasoline enough? And why is there an old guy driving it with a couple of teenagers in the front seat – without seatbelts?!?

4. Zantium says:

I really hope that was feigned confusion about the inclusion of the car.

5. Kharn says:

Best DLC I’ve seen in years. It’s unveliable how well fits the game. The level of detail is also nuts.

Wheels rotating on jumps? Check.
    Trail of fire+sparks when reaching certain speed? Check.
    Awesome time travel effect (spinning plate included) when the car get’s demolished? Check.

6. LionsPhil says:

Still waiting for Distance to add the “Commander” back in from Nitronic Rush. C’mon, today’s the day to do it…

7. apa says:

The car shouldn’t rust, that’s the point with stainless steel!

8. OctoStepdad says:

I’m sold! but I will still be playing with Gizmo/Scarab in ranked matches.

9. caff says:

I keep buying Rocket League DLC. Partly ‘cos it’s great, but mainly ‘cos I feel guilty for not spending more on the base game.

• Xzi says:

It’s also priced very reasonably, so I’m happy to support Psyonix for that. They’re showing the AAA devs how it should be done.

• minijedimaster says:

I don’t know, the first two DLC sets were priced “OK” for what you got. But this one is $2 for a single car? Or does it provide more than that? I understand the cool factor of the car, but still… $2 seems a bit much for this.

• JiminyJickers says:

Flux Capacitor! Enough said, go buy it already!!!

• El_Kabong says:

I hope you’re being sarcastic. $2 is a little much? The price of a freakin candybar…