£25?! Xbox One Controller’s Wireless Adapter Is Out

The Xbox One controller is the finest lump of gameplastic I’ve had the pleasure of using for appropriate virtuamurder, but on PC I’m confined to connecting it via a USB cable. That’s a bit old-timey, considering this is the 21st of October, 2015. Wires? Where we’re going, we don’t need wires!

We do need, however, need £24.99 to buy the new USB adapter allowing Xbox One controllers to work wirelessly with Windows 10. Great Scott! That’s a big price for a small doohickey. Why, to afford that I’d have to travel back to 1955 and hand Young Alice sports results from 1950 to the year 2000 so she could become rich off betting!

You’d think that’d be it, right? Place a load of bets, become rich, and buy a £25 doodad so my Xbox One controller can connect wireless with my Windows 10 PC (it doesn’t work with Windows 7 or 8, because reasons). Easy, right? Yeah, except she was never meant to have that knowledge so some total butthead will try to undo it and what then?

Given that the Xbox One controller has worked on Windows for over a year, this adapter does seem awfully late. Also, wireless isn’t enough. You mean you have to use your hands? That’s like a baby’s toy!

Dear Alice, if my calculations are correct you will receive this news post immediately after you saw the Xbox One controller struck by wireless. First let me assure you that I am alive and well. I’ve been living happily these past eight months in the year 1885. October 21st 2015? That was the day I went back… that was the day of the famous Edinburgh lightning storm. Manure! I hate manure! Relax Graham, it’s a sleep-induced alpha-rhythm generator. She was asking too many questions and no-one should know too much about their future. That accident caused a chain reaction of events which sent Alice’s life straight down the tube. What’s wrong O’Connor, chicken?

1. Asurmen says:

Meh. For traditional desktop you’re sitting right next to I don’t see the point unless you have wires running around making a nest of snakes look simple in comparison which is fair enough at that point!

Much more interested in a play and charge kit for the One controller.

• Asurmen says:

Note to self: check whether something actually exists before stating it doesn’t exist.

• ironman Tetsuo says:

If they’re anything like the plug n charge kits for the 360 pads then all they do is charge, for some absurd reason you still need to connect wirelessly…

• Asurmen says:

I meant for the One itself when I wrote that, remembering that I had read recently that it didn’t exist. As soon as I typed that though I thought to check…

In terms of play and charge for PC, USB cables are power and data on same line but obviously only makes sense if you are buying the wireless adapter.

Basically completely ignore my posts, I was too dumb to brain properly.

Maltose says:

Nope. I use the Xbox one wireless controller that came with my console (the second version) and the play and charge kit to connect the controller to by windows 7 PC. I just had to install the Microsoft drivers. The build quality’s a lot better than my 360 controller, imo.

2. fish99 says:

That’s basically the same thing you get with a £5 wireless mouse. It’s also bizarrely huge.

• Leonick says:

Most of those don’t connect to 8 mice (or a proprietary controller) and have the capability to stream audio to them.

Yea, it isn’t cheap. But that isn’t surprising, the official 360 receiver still isn’t much cheaper.

• fish99 says:

Data is data, whether it’s from a mouse, controller or an audio stream. The thing is still just a wireless emitter/receiver. Xbox peripherals have always been overpriced.

• mukuste says:

Actually I always thought the (wired) Xbox 360 controller was extremely fairly priced. I paid, what, €25 or €30 for it? And it’s just the best controller around for PC gaming and has lasted me for years and years already, with no signs of it giving up. Best peripheral I ever bought.

• Reapy says:

Totally agree. I did end up getting the wireless dongle for the PC hooked up to my TV because I had 2 wireless controllers laying around from 360 that is collecting dust, but when I wanted one for my PC I went with the corded, it’s cheaper, doesn’t need batteries, and works when you plug it in right away.

The other upside is that you don’t need a dongle per machine. Even though I have two controllers, they must always be on the same machine, I can’t use one upstairs and another downstairs without another dongle! Another disadvantage. Corded all the way!

• Kefren says:

Yep, I preferred wired controllers every time. (Ditto mouse and keyboard). Never having to use and charge batteries is so nice.

• Sakkura says:

The Wireless Xbox 360 controller for Windows is about £25, and that’s for both the receiver and controller. Here they’re asking £25 for just the receiver, or £80 for receiver and controller bundle. That’s three times as much.

• iainl says:

£5 Bluetooth dongles connect up to 8 Bluetooth devices to the PC, though, and those can include PS3 and PS4 controllers. But no, Microsoft have to do things their own way and use a proprietary system they can overcharge for.

• mavrik says:

So how do I use a 5$ mouse to play games on the couch comfortably?

phuzz says:

Plug the wireless dongle into your computer, sit on the sofa and use the arm rest as a mouse mat, simples!

• mavrik says:

Right, that’s like calling running a marathon with broken legs “comfortable”.

3. wyrm4701 says:

it doesn’t work with Windows 7 or 8

Yeah, no thanks. It’s amusing Microsoft put effort into this near-useless piece of kit, but none into adding a ‘mouse emulation’ function. Which would be useful and long overdue.

IronPirate says:

Try ‘controller companion’, it gives you good mouse and keyboard emulation and It’s only £3 on steam.

4. caff says:

M+KB4EVA

5. Drew says:

Isn’t it just £20 rather than £25?
    I think it works with the Steam Link so I’m quite interested in it since the official Steam controller kind of sucks.

6. MuscleHorse says:

I recently shelved my Xbone controller in favour of the old 360 one. Am I the only one who feels like the right stick is a fair bit oversensitive?

• Siimon says:

Have an XB1 controller collecting dust while the X360 controllers get near-daily use. The stick is sensitive, the bumpers are just wrong (made for small hands?), it didn’t have wireless and even now won’t on Win 7/8.

After reading about how much the XB1 controller was amazingly improved I have to say that apart from a few flaws I notice no difference, the XB1 controller is NOT better in any noticable way.

7. anHorse says:

I’m happy with my 360 controller but adding costs and windows 10 exclusivity just makes me less likely to change to a xbox one controller over other alternatives next time I need to replace my controller

• Blackcompany says:

This. I am basically convinced, at this point, that the hardware guys at MS, as well as those who market their hardware, are in league with a certain subset of investors. The same investors who secretly want MS out of the hardware business altogether because it would improve their bottom line, and thus their stock price.

I simply cannot think of any other reason why a company would consistently make this many stupid decisions related to the development, pricing and distribution of their hardware. Its…baffling, unless its a conspiracy on the part of a few to ensure that MS hardware is literally NEVER appealing to ANYONE.

• All is Well says:

Ah, but what about the Surface? That seems to be fairly admired, so much so that Apple basically made the same thing. (granted that’s about the only counterexample I can come up with)

• banananas says:

What I don’t get is, why does everybody say it’s not possible to connect it to Win 7? The Microsoft support page concerning the problem clearly states that the only difference between win 10 and 7/8 is that the drivers for the controller are pre-installed in 10 and just need to be downloaded for the others… So you CAN use it with 7. Or did I miss something?

• All is Well says:

Because of this:
        link to support.xbox.com

• banananas says:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! That’s a real bummer, though I hope it will be “fixed” (either by MS or some other talented individuals) in the future… It wouldn’t be the first time MS announced something and then steered back after some uproar.
          Sigh, why do companies hate people so much? Always aiming straight for that sweet money/control. Makes me so sad.

8. Agnosticus says:

Such a shame that even controllers are getting more and more restrictive: the steam controller is only working with steam running (I think) and the xbone one needs it’s Win10.

Long live the 360 controllers!

9. TimRobbins says:

Given their proclaimed refocus on PC, they sure have vastly underestimated the trend towards couch gaming. Everyone I know has long since switched to a DS4, and I can’t see the price of this or the lack of windows 7 and mouse emulation support changing that anytime soon.

• Sepulchrave76 says:

Damn right. I really like the XBONE pad, but they can fuck off with this price-gouging, W10 incentivizing bollocks. I’ll probably get a DS4, or maybe a Steam pad if the impressions are positive.

• reggiep says:

The Steam Controller is a jack of all trades, master of none. The 360, One or DS4 controllers are going to beat out the Steam Controller for any game that was designed to use a gamepad. They’re just more familiar and comfortable. Basically any game that relies on twin sticks for motion and camera will be better with a controller that actually has twin sticks. The touch pad does not translate well. The learning curve is too steep IMO.

• subedii says:

Like say, Resident Evil?

link to youtube.com

The gyro aiming works way better than any controller.

• ironhorse says:

Completely disagree about everything you just said.

I am enjoying my controller far far more than my 360 and am thoroughly enjoying the vast amount of configuration possible.
          It does take a few minutes to set things up to your liking, but after that it’s far superior.

Definitely would recommend, especially for those who dislike the slow boat feeling of imprecise joysticks.

• subedii says:

I’d happily vouch for the Steam controller, and recommend you check out Woodsie’s channel on youtube (particularly his recent video on Doom / FPS’s).

Bear in mind, that video was made before people started using the gyroscope for fine aiming (see video in my post above, and the one below).

DelrueOfDetroit says:

For anyone who is having trouble getting the DS4 to work in Windows 10 for some games, you need to run it in exclusive mode and there is a bit of conflicting code in W10.

If you do a quick Google search, there is a post on the InputMapper forum that shows you how to fix it. You basically create a task that temporarily disables Explorer, connect your controller and then activate Explorer again. It sounds complicated but is really quite simple.

Dark Souls is one of the games that needs this.

10. LionsPhil says:

Keep it together Alice, there’s a few more hours left yet.

• mukuste says:

I’d say she might as well stop now, I don’t think anyone is going to top this post.

particlese says:

I totally agree. In fact, I’m going to go hydrate a pizza and read it again.

11. BTAxis says:

I’ll stick to my PS3 controller. Yes, it’s connected with a USB cable, but that’s perfectly fine with me.

• golem09 says:

Why? You can connect PS3 and PS4 controllers to your pc with a super cheap bluetooth dongle.

12. Synesthesia says:

I don’t get this. I have the wireless version of this controller, and it comes with its own pairing dongle. Will it stop working if I install win10?

• reggiep says:

You’ll have to be more specific. This thing isn’t a controller. It’s an adapter that allows you to connect an Xbox One controller wirelessly to a Windows 10 PC. The Xbox 360 controller has its own separate wireless adapter that will not work with Xbox One controllers.

13. DrWayward says:

Well, forget this then :(

I do like the Xbox One controller, it’s my controller of choice for playing PC games on my TV thanks to it fitting into my comically large hands better than anything else I’ve used so far.

I would have been up for this at a sensible price, but now its going to cost half that of buying a brand new Steam controller – what’s the point?

X_kot says:

Bet it can’t even generate 1.21 jigawatts.

15. Creeping Death says:

Honestly? This is a lot cheaper than I expected. Wasnt the 360 dongle £30 or £40?

Still not getting one, mind.

• Sakkura says:

No. The 360 Wireless controller PLUS the dongle is about £25. Here they’re asking £80 for the same bundle, or £25 for just the dongle. Hugely overpriced.

• sweenish says:

Just to clarify.

I’m in for a bundle, myself. Stick the adapter in the back of the PC and forget about it. My tower is on the floor next to the desk around a bend that juts out. This will only save a couple seconds, but I’ve been wanting to get a One controller for a bit anyway.

• ludde says:

No they aren’t. I bought the 360 dongle and controller bundle for around £30 back when it was new.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

No you didn’t.

1) the Xbox 360 pad was launched at £30 a piece, and 2) the adapted for Windows wasn’t launched until much later, for a price of £20.

Phasma Felis says:

“Current price of decade old kit versus brand new kit. Launch prices are similar.

Can we talk about the fact that this is decade-old kit with a cosmetic makeover and deliberately broken compatibility, so Microsoft can make you pay full price again for something you already own?

• briangw says:

I remember paying $50 for the wireless 360 controller and $25 for the wireless dongle back when the 360 wireless dongle came out. So, not too bad for this.

16. Razumen says:

Considering PS3/PS4 controllers work with just about any bluetooth reciever, on Windows 7 as well, I think I’ll stick with those.

Phasma Felis says:

“it doesn’t work with Windows 7 or 8, because reasons”

Bahaha, what? Why was this not the primary complaint of the article?

18. simmessa says:

Xbone controller works with windows 7 and 8, you just need to install a couple patches from Microsoft, I’m referring to the wired one…

Neurotic says:

I for one eschew all kinds of wireless peripherals. But trying to find wired X360 controllers is quite tricky round my neck of the woods.

• Agnosticus says:

Why are you “eschew”ing wireless peripherals if I may ask?

• cpt_freakout says:

Have you tried looking for the generic ones? They might be easier to acquire, depending on where you live. My first wired 360 style controller was a cheap generic copy, only lacking a rumble pack. I didn’t mind that, and it’s survived about 2 years of continuous use and 2 more of on-off use (finally got a wireless official one to play on the TV, so I bring it out when friends come over). The generic market’s quality is pretty good, I think, so you could consider that.

• Asurmen says:

Just get a One pad and plug it in via USB. Problem solved.

20. Saiko Kila says:

I wonder if this is the same quality as the dongle for wireless xbox gamepad (“For Windows”, then without numbering, hehe). That dongle is the biggest engineering crap possible. It’s designed to fail sooner than later. I don’t know if by incompetence or by malignancy, and I’m curious, but this P.O.S. bred a deep hatred of microsoft engineers and/or executives in me.

Anyway, I’m not touching another microsoft hardware even with a big stick, no matter the price.

21. Eddie Bax says:

Give it a month and you’ll be able to buy a knockoff on eBay for a third of the price, I can just about guarantee it.