Doko Roko Kickstarter Offers Big Swords, Stone Golems

Oh no! I clicked on one of the dozens of Kickstarter emails I receive each day and I liked what I saw! That’s not how this is supposed to work. Alice, Alice! What do I do? Help! Alice…

Breathe. It’s OK. Let’s imagine that there’s not a flood. Let’s imagine that we’re thirsty. Doko Roko [Kickstarter campaign] is an attractive action platformer about climbing a tower, fighting demons with a large sword, and piecing together a story inspired by the structure of Dark Souls.

Although structurally similar to Dark Souls, in the sense that Doko Roko’s story will be seeded in its environment rather than delivered via “long-winded monologue”, the style is one defined by gently spinning windmills, moss-covered stone golems and magical fireflies. It also appears to have a cast of odd-looking but friendly creatures to chat to. I suspect I would be less enamored with all this if I hadn’t re-watched Howl’s Moving Castle last week and spent the intervening time thinking about how much I liked its world.

I’d definitely be less enamored by it if it didn’t look like the combat was pretty tight, too. You wield an array of swords as you climb higher up the large tower in which the game takes place, and each sword seems to be about six times larger than the character you’re controlling. There’s GIFs of it in action through on the Kickstarter page, or you could watch this video:

If you want in on that action, the lowest pledge tier of $10 (£6.46) will get you a DRM-free copy of the game, and $25 (£16.16) will get you early beta access. Both have an estimated delivery date of October 2017, which is a long way away, but likely more honest than most Kickstarter dates. The game has currently received $8,206 of its $30,000 goal with 28 days to go.

1. dethtoll says:

I love this trend of minimalist Japanese-style fantasy being more popular.

2. ribby says:

I feel like there’s definitely a bit of inspiration taken from dark souls in the environment also. That gate at the start (about 20 seconds in) looks a lot like Sen’s Fortress

3. XxBrentos9xX says:

Not hating the soundtrack they used

4. Lombar says:

Good god I am so freaking tired of the phrase “inspired by Dark Souls”. This game doesnt even have anything that one would relate to Dark Souls except maybe some imgs pallete?

The game does looks awesome tho.

• KreissV says:

I’ve played all the dark souls games and bloodborne but that phrase irritates me to no end.

Get an original idea, the people behind souls worked hard you can’t just take it.

5. Psychomorph says:

They should make the guy stand still, when he stands still.

6. mukuste says:

This looked great… and then they showed the combat. Huge silly floating swords, ugh, this completely clashes with the visual style.

Still, very very pretty.

DantronLesotho says:

I’ve been seeing gifs of this game and am highly anticipating it. Say what you will about tired tropes being bandied about, but you can still make a fine game even though you are modeling some of your designs after other games. Where would Spelunky be without jumping and randomization? Exactly.