Kooky Ooky: I Am Bread & Goat Simulator Team Up

Dang, I would kill for a Brick Lane sesame seed beigel. At 3am. After being dumped unceremoniously by the night bus still a mile from home. Drunk, obvs. I do miss London a bit.

The twin fads of zany physics-based games and Joke Simulator Game Simulator 2013 have mostly passed us by now, so I wonder what’ll be the not oh-so-random joke genre to strike it big? Frag montage parody FPSs have been too small for too long to take off, and Sanic Hegehog games have never been fun enough. Maybe I’m out of touch.

Well, while we await the next big thing in zaniness, we can return to two giants in the field, who are slowly raising themselves from their meme-shaped thrones (resembling the severed head of Richard Dawkins frozen in eternal fury). You see, Goat Simulator [official site] and I Am Bread [official site] are teaming up for crossover free DLC.

Goat-starers Coffee Stain Studios and and toastlovers Bossa Studios are both bringing a little of the other’s game into their own with free Goatbread updates. They explained in a press release today, “I Am Bread will have a new Goat Simulator-inspired level ‘RAMpage mode’, and Goat Simulator a new, playable piece of bread.” No word yet on when either of these will be released.

Call me a humourless monster, but I don’t get much out of kooky physics games, or not anymore. I am endlessly delighted by glitchy physics happening by accident in games, when a system breaks and reveals quite how silly and crude and exciting and wonderful all this digital smoke and mirrors is, but it’s not the same when games do that on purpose. It’s not as magical. It’s a bit… ‘random’. Though, to be fair, Goat Simulator is also about exploring a weird world uncovering secrets, and I Am Bread is a pretty tough platforming sort of thing – they’re not just jokes.

Anywho, here’s a trailer which is definitely kooky random zaniness:

1. padger says:

These games make me think “That’s nice, dear”, whenever I see them mentioned. I’m glad people are having fun.

*lights cigarette and goes back to read My Middle Class Ennui Monthly*

• LionsPhil says:

This month’s issue hasn’t been so great. Well. It’s kind of OK, I guess. Passes the time.

• Jalan says:

Similar reactions for me as well.

The “lolgame” genre explosion has shown me just how far removed I am from the target audience these types of games go for. One of the only times where someone could say to me “you just don’t get the joke” and my response would be absolutely genuine in saying that “I really don’t”.

• Myrdinn says:

I guess the two of us are the grumpy ones…

• KreissV says:

It’s that whole: “OOOO LOOK HOW RANDOM I AM. I’M SO WEIRD AND QUIRKY. SOOOOO TOTALLY RANDOM.” that people buy into, basically the sole reason why people like Adventure Time (which is awful). I’ve never been one for humour that’s right in my face, I like it more when it’s subtle and quietly shanking me without me knowing.

It’s not even that we don’t get the joke, there isn’t a joke to get. It’s a goat and it does stupid shit, ha…haha? Where’s the punchline in all this.

• Chiron says:

I see them, they look like fun and I get they are a really great way to have a laugh. In theory.

But I bought a couple of them, played for like 30 minutes then didn’t give a fuck about them.

Waste of a fiver really, but man those 30 minutes were sure something I guess.

Phasma Felis says:

Two thoughts (directed to the thread in general):

1) Playing Goat Simulator by yourself is doing it wrong, IMHO. Like roughhousing with your friends as a child, it’s a social activity. Play it with 2-4 friends with gamepads and (ideally) some beer.

2) Goat Simulator isn’t funny because it’s LOLrandom. It’s funny because detailed physics simulations allow genuine slapstick. For the first time, physical comedy in videogames doesn’t mean that a character just does the same pratfall animation every time he gets clobbered; it’s new every time, and sometimes completely unexpected, and that means it can keep being funny long after an older game’s supply of “Funny Thing Happening” animations would be old hat.

It’s a different facet of the same thing that appeals in Dwarf Fortress: sufficiently complex simulations allow for truly emergent and unexpected interactions.

2. allthegoodonesweretaken2 says:

If they throw in Octodad and a Gang Beast or two, then I’ll give it a shot.

Also, does this mean the Goat Simulator will inadvertently end up having *less* bugs?…