Build With Friends, Or Not: Wurm Unlimited Released

Craft-o-fight-a-build Wurm Online is one of the MMORPGs I’ve always been more interested in hearing stories from than actually playing myself. Go read Graham’s heartwarming tale, perhaps, or Quinns’s murdertale. On the flipside, I’ve heard too much griping about grinding and frustration. Well, spin-off Wurm Unlimited [official site] can change that if you want, perhaps making it the friendlier face of Wurm.

Released yesterday, Wurm Online lets folks run their own servers, whether simply to play alone or to tweak settings and make life easier for their chums.

Wurm is sorta Minecraft at a glacial pace (former Minecraft head honch Markus Persson had worked on Wurm before). You can dig, build, terraform, craft, and all that, but it’s real work and effort. There are benefits to this, as Graham notes in his tale of a community coming together to raise a town. Finishing anything is a real accomplishment.

If you want to speed things up, though, Wurm Unlimited will let you do that. The options for running your own server include loads of settings to fiddle with, from skillrate gains to creature counts, as well as magical GM powers. It also opens up the possibility of modding, which players are already investigating.

Beyond that, hey, it’s Wurm! If you’ve been curious about it, you can now poke around with more freedom. The original Wurm Online is still running, mind – its site is over here. While some worry that Unlimited will leech players away from Online and leave its world emptier and less interesting, others are happy that they’ll get to be alone.

Wurm Unlimited is £20.24 on Steam right now. Developers Code Club are pointing folks towards DL Gamer, who are new to me but do offer a Steam key for only £17.99.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

It seems to be a whole english pound cheaper at DL Gamer than you said, £17.99.

2. klops says:

That’s the most lovingly said “a sandbox game” I’ve ever heard! Right there in the trailer!

3. Cvnk says:

I had a few hours to mess around with thus last night. I mainly plan on using it to test mechanics out before I commit to a project that could require hours of labor before discovering it’s not going to work the way I thought.

I also used it to try out a lot of the features that are currently out of reach for my WO character — either because my skills are still too low (despite having played since 2008) or because they’re only available on the PvP servers.

I was saddened I couldn’t create bridges though. You still need a second player for that and there’s no way to run a second instance of WU the way you can with WO since it’s intimately tied to your Steam account.

• harley9699 says:

I know about a lot MC, FCE, etc., but nothing about Wurm. Why can’t you build a bridge by yourself?

• Mortomes says:

To plan a bridge, you need 2 players, one to hold up a range pole at one end, while the other uses a dioptra on the other end.

• Bob_Bobson says:

I believe that this has been changed for Wurm Unlimited, so you can now plant the dioptra (or maybe it was the pole), just to allow solo bridge building.

• harley9699 says:

Well, that’s good then. Would suck if they had something that important not compensated for in SP. I’ll see if/when I decide to pull the trigger on this one.

4. Shiloh says:

Awesome trailer. The narrator sounded a bit like “Whisperin'” Bob Harris to me – I was half expecting him to start going on about Kacey Musgraves or Jason Aldean at one point – but then he dropped the clanger – “meh-dee-val”. Of course, we Britons say “meh-dee-eevil”

Damn, I’d have been a good escapee-rooter-outer, Flight Lieutenant Andy MacDonald should watch out. “Good luck!” “Thanks… oh shit”

• Shiloh says:

PS does that screenshot at the top of the article lie, or can you really build golf courses with the obligatory mock-Tudor nineteenth hole?

5. caff says:

I know RPS has covered this before, but would someone there be willing to give it a bit of WIT love?

6. SecondDimension says:

I love the voiceover too, apparently this game contains content AND features!

7. poseidon says:

If anyone is interested in an active Roleplay community with player made kingdoms, active GMs, and starter professions feel free to check out http://www.Moorwurm.com :) Or find us in the server list of course hehe.

Lots of content to explore :)