“Plenty Of Chance” For Halo 5 On PC

There’s also plenty of chance that 343 Industries’ Frank O’Connor was speaking purely theoretically when he claimed that the Xbox-exclusive shooty-bang sequel might head Windowswards, so don’t get your powersuited knickers in a twist just yet. But! It’s an unusual thing to say about a series which is usually locked inescapably within Xbox’s walled garden.

Given that there is a certain amount of Windows 10/Xbox crossover, and we’ve had recently had some of Microsoft’s bi-annual ‘no honestly we do care about PC gaming’ blather, maybe there is something to this.

“There is plenty of chance that Halo 5 could appear on the PC,” Microsoft’s Halo franchise director O’Connor told a GamesRadar livesteam (as reported by MCV) while treading the promotional circuit for the impending shooter sequel. “Nothing to announce at this point, but it’s absolutely within the bounds of reason.”

He then seems to specify that he’s talking about this from a hardware perspective: “We developed the game on an Intel platform. It wouldn’t be the hardest thing in the world to move it to PC and take advantage of PC stuff.”

Then there’s this double-edged sword: “But nothing to announce today.” On the hand, he’s saying there’s nothing to say. On the other, he’s saying there’s nothing to say right now. It is a little odd to even raise the spectre of possibility if there’s nothing brewing. But it’s unlike a big game corp to be this loose-lipped. We’ll see, I guess.

How many of you want Halo back on PC? It’s been absent since the underwhelming Halo 2 port, and while I’d say most of the games since are no great loss, I did have a good time with the back-to-basics Halo 4. 343 Industries may not be Bungie, but for me they were doing Bungie better than Bungie had for some time (though all the mythos stuff about Magical Sexy Computer Lady left me cold).

I hear Halo 5 is a slightly different affair, however, but not owning an Xbone I am not in a position to tell you if it’s something I even want to see teabagging PCs. I’m always pleased when the door of exclusivity creaks open even a little, though.

Meantime, Halo 5: Guardians [official site] is released for Xbone on October 27th.

1. c-Row says:

Is it “We might release this for PC cause we love you so much again” or “We might release this for PC since we didn’t sell enough XBOnes and want to make more money back on our flagship IP”?

2. yogibbear says:

3. SupahSpankeh says:

Let’s be honest here; either it’s already in development, or it’s not, and this pointless nerdbaiting can fuck right off either way.

Tired of this “ooooh just maybe” bullshit. I’m not even a Halo fan, but this flirty horseshit is just frigging pointless.

More to the point, failing to rule it out will only harm XBONE sales so quit pissing around and just level with people.

So bored of this bollocks.

• Jay Load says:

I know, right? It’s like a hated ex-girl/boyfriend constantly emailing you years after you broke up when you’ve made it clear you want nothing more to do with her.

Make a decision or a commitment, Microsoft. If you can’t do either then kindly fuck off and stop wasting everyone’s time.

RPS – I’d also argue that this kind of “will they/wont’ they?” reporting is surplus to requirements, given the lengths you’ve gone to proving they don’t actually give a shit beyond meaningless hot air.

• SupahSpankeh says:

Agreed.

This isn’t news. It’s PR jerkoff. Not worthy of a post. Certainly not from RPS.

• Blackcompany says:

Agreed. I love RPS to bits – I really do – but I think that even giving these “Microsoft Maybe” posts a place here is bad for PC Gaming. Its netting MS attention for a title as yet available only on their console box, like a ‘look what you could have, if only you come to the Dark Side’ sort of deal.

I dont think MS deserve attention from PC Gaming for this. In point of fact, I think that NOT posting this would be far better. IF they want our attention let them do something worthy of it, like releasing a game for our platform.

4. Mechorpheus says:

If they’re doing this, I can only hope they have the good graces to do the same for the Master Chief Collection. Pretty much the only thing tempting me to pick up an Xbone right now, since I’ve only played the original back when it hit PC in 2003.

• Asurmen says:

This is the only way it makes sense to me. Anyone who is already well into the franchise has the consoles. Those who might be interested but never go round to it would be missing several games and therefore background if they suddenly release 5 on PC.

• Cinek says:

Is background really that much important in Halo? It’s not like it’s Mass Effect.

• TheApologist says:

Yeah, I guess this is true, but I have to say this does make a difference for me. I probably wouldn’t bother with Halo 5 on its own. But if they released the collection, and I could play my way up to 5, then I might well jump in.

• Asurmen says:

Well, yes, it is important.

• tnzk says:

Halo’s lore is on par with Mass Effect.

That’s either saying something about Halo, or that’s either saying something about Mass Effect.

Both excelled during that one game in the franchise where they didn’t take their own crap seriously.

• PearlChoco says:

“Pretty much the only thing tempting me to pick up an Xbone right now”

And right there is why it won’t happen.

• Mechorpheus says:

Yea, I know. Perhaps this is a good test of my resolve? :)

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah Halo 1 was a lot of fun.

• oyog says:

While we’re at it can we wish for Crimson Skies and the Mech Commanders as well?

5. Awesomeclaw says:

I imagine it would also be Windows 10 exclusive and I have no more desire to install W10 for Halo 5 than I did to install Vista for Halo 2.

6. Jalan says:

Makes me fondly remember the brief glimmer of hope we all had that the very first title might’ve crept its way onto Steam years ago.

My general take: Halo is the (American) football, Charlie Brown is the PC and Lucy is represented by anyone involved with the series thinking they’d have a bit of a giggle getting hopes up. In the end, poor ol’ Chuck always ends up on his back in the grass with nothing good to show for it.

7. AtomicB says:

I’m not sure how you can see halo 4 as ‘back to basics’ when it’s diverges the furthest from the halo mold. But hey, to each their own.

ODST and Reach are the pinnacle of Bungie led Halo games IMO, and 4 fell way short.

Anyway, OT. I’d like this to happen, as I’m pretty unlikely to buy an X1.

8. Spuzzell says:

OK, well. Do it or don’t, it’s not like the PC is suffering from a lack of sci-fi FPS games.

I would far rather have Halo as a choice to buy or not than Gears Of War.

I’d not buy either, but at least for Halo I’d think about it for a second.

9. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

On a slightly related note: is there any word on us getting Destiny still? Sure it was being touted as a PC release at some point. Not that fussed though, for Destiny or Halo 5, just curious.

• Nevard says:

I was somehow unaware until this moment that Destiny is not already available on PCs, weird.

• Cinek says:

PC MMO market is saturated, so it’s logical that they stick with consoles. Out there they at least got chances for sales, on a PC there’s just so much more of a better MMOs than Destiny that I doubt it’d be financial feasible for them to maintain it.

• Jac says:

I play far too much destiny and I honestly dont think it could work on pc at the moment. Its fantastic on controller but theirs aim assist aplenty due to it being designed for consoles, which just wouldn’t translate to mouse and keyboard. Also the way skill trees and loadouts are selected is deliberately slow to avoid quick switching between skills during fights. On pc someone would just macro that up and sort of ruin the balance.

Would like to see it on pc though, if only just to have access to chat in game, as the lack of this combined with no matchmaking for end game stuff is frankly pants for a game where these are the best experiences, yet require having to use your pc to go onto looking for group sites.

10. iainl says:

If they do it at all, they’ll probably do the same as Turn 10 did with Forza: show it off at a dev conference as an example of how easy the latest Visual Studio and DX12 tools make porting Xbone code to Windows 10, then put the thing back in a box, never to be seen by the general public.

Halo and Forza are pretty much the only things Microsoft has to sell Xboxes with, and they’re not going to let anyone else play with those toys.

And in the case of Halo, I think they’re mostly right to do so: the whole point of the series is that Bungie really nailed the process of turning the FPS into something that works on a joypad through careful balancing of speed, floatiness and just the right amount of autoaim. You can see it in Destiny, as well. But the two Halo games we did get on PC were pretty poor, because you can’t release a PC port that doesn’t work on a mouse and keyboard, and the moment you put it on those controls you lose a significant part of its unique appeal.

Whether you’re playing in single-player or online, the presence of mouse aimers breaks things – it’s too easy to shoot the NPCs, and anybody trying to stick with the intended controls is going to get their backside handed to them in multiplayer.

• Frank says:

Of course, one could play with a controller on PC.

I won’t, though, not until my “req_gamepad” category in Steam has at least a dozen games (only A City Sleeps and Half Minute Hero so far .. presumably Starbreeze’s Brothers and Dark Souls would fall here if I bought them).

• Frank says:

Clarifying: I’m just thinking about the single-player, because who wants to play Halo MP? Not me, that’s who.

• iainl says:

You could indeed play the singleplayer on a pad, and it worked pretty well, really.

Well, except for the way that both games mysteriously ran like a dog on contemporary hardware, and by the time I had a box capable of running it smoothly the mix of Original Xbox graphic assets and 1080p resolution was a surreal mess in its own way. But you can’t have everything.

11. int says:

Ah dear Halo. I remember when it was coming to MAC and PC and X-Box was just a silly name.

I remember Master Chief’s original robotic voice.

I remember third person.

I remember Microsoft… delaying.

Matchstick says:

So that translates as “if XBone sales don’t pick up we’re going to need to do something desperate” ?

• iainl says:

I doubt it, really. Xbone sales are shocking in comparison to the PS4, but they’re perfectly fine when you use the last generation as your benchmark. Once the DRM, Kinect and so on were killed off it found its feet. Not least because with Kinect dead and its resources released to developers, the device is more on a par with Sony for power.

13. fish99 says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing it on PC, Halo has always been a fun umpa lumpa murder simulator. Then again I own Halo 3, OSDT and Reach and never bothered with them.

14. Neurotic says:

I’d still like to play 2, 3 and 4 properly on PC first.

15. Ansob says:

I’d like Halo 4, ODST and Reach on PC more than 5, but 5 would be a good start.

HD rereleases of 1 and 2 via GOG would also be okay.

16. peterako1989 says:

only on Hellnoes 10

17. KreissV says:

X-Box and Ps2 were fantastic, then Ps3 came out the door strong with titles like Killzone 2 and MGS4, then Xbox360 red ringed itself into the ground. And then the Xbox one. Did you see what they tried to do to it?

Needless to say they don’t care much for the gamers anymore. Whatever gets the sales. The next Xbox comes with one free hooker, DRM though.

• KreissV says:

Before someone attacks me as a fanboy or anything as ludicrous. I owned both devices up to current gen consoles.

18. ninenullseven says:

Everyone seems to keep forgetting that microsoft is owning Windows too. And they might loose it as a gaming solution if they won’t properly support it as a gaming solution. I’m pretty sure they are perfectly aware of that so they keep on teasing us stuff.

Benratha says:

Technically, anyway there is every chance you could ‘see’ it on PC. Remember that W10 has this strange idea that you might want to run XBone games on it?

20. PiiSmith says:

Releasing a FPS on the only platform (PC), where you can use the only proper input (mouse & keyboard) for a shooter. This would be strange idea! ;)
    For the record I love FPSs. The only reason Halo was excluded from my collection thus far, is that playing an FPS with controller is one of the worst ideas.

21. gunny1993 says:

hmmm, can I get Halo 3 on PC first please? Halo 4 was unmitigated shite that forgot what halo was about, most fun me and my buddy had playing through it was reminiscing about how fun the old games were and why this one was shit.

• TheRaptorFence says:

It’s not Halo 3 entirely, but some modders have taken to creating a Halo 3: CE from the Russian-only FtP game Halo: Online. Works globally now. It’s going places.

link to reddit.com

22. minijedimaster says:

Does anyone really trust these guys to do a proper port? I’m thinking along the lines of Bethesda games, where they keep the same low res assets and too huge for PC monitors UI as well as control scheme with a controller first and mouse/keyboard as an afterthought.

Biggest difference would be with Bethesda they at least allow the community to fix all these things through mods. I highly doubt microsoft would do the same.

23. montorsi says:

If they release it within 12 months of the Xbone release I’d be shocked. Personally I have zero interest in playing a shooter two years after its initial release on console, but that’s probably just a me thing.

Although I guess I could see them selling it exclusively through the Windows shop to get people to actually use their service.

24. Press X to Gary Busey says:

If that happens it will 100% probably be a Windows 10 Store exclusive and target specced for whatever Surface model is out at the time.

Synergtechnic Branchise Convergence.

25. internisus says:

Yeah, right, like that Gears of War: Ultimate remaster that we were supposed to get but has instead completely disappeared.

26. kud13 says:

In order for me to start caring about M$oft and PC games in the same sentence, I require:

A DRM-free Freelancer 2. Released on GOG.

Once you do that, then we can talk again, M$oft

27. renner says:

He’s being a tease, but I wish he wasn’t. Despite the atrocities of 2 and 3, the series holds a special place in my heart and I’ve been kind of bummed about not getting to play 5 (I’ll be god damned if I’m buying an Xbone for one game).

I understand WHY platform exclusivity exists, but it’s so blatantly anti-consumer I don’t know why they still get away with it. Booooo.

-jj- says:

Hear hear!

I for one would love to see the full series on PC. Yes there are lots of other FPS’s, but the feel and pacing of Halo is actually quite different to anything else (feel free to prove me wrong – I’d be keen to try something similar).

I’m sure MS would sell a bucketload, particularly as an appropriately priced bundle. Keep Halo 5 as a timed exclusive if you must, but bring it over too.

Just think of the money thrown at old games on GOG and Steam every day – seem like a wasted opportunity, and an easy way to score some positive PR. Would show some commitment to PC.

28. SuicideKing says:

Well, I liked the first Halo game, and multiplayer was a blast. Halo 2 was too slow, I felt. But ENERGY SWORDS. Played the others on a friend’s X360, and Reach and ODST were nice. Halo 4 was kinda weird, and Halo 5 looks like it will be similar.

Still, bring it to the PC!

29. sebagul says:

I don’t need Halo on PC.

It is a corny, childish game. If it were not from Microsoft, it would be a third class, unknown franchise.

Playing it feels like playing with “action figures”, the you get those smurf aliens with fins squeaking like a rubber duck, and you feel like you playing with kindergarden toys.

30. racccoon says:

Ports are normally crap. They can keep it.
    If they didn’t make it for the PC….then they can F=off!

31. lordfrikk says:

I care about this very much and furthermore