Metal Gear Solid V’s Costume DLC Is Out, Bugged, Tacky

Big Boss ordering a soldier into battle dressed as a sexy version of his ambiguous mentor/mother/lover figure who he himself killed is an unusual move even for a chap who abducts people with balloons, but this is Metal Gear. The curious MGS3-inspired DLC costumes for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [official site] have arrived. They’re outfits for male and female soldiers, Snake included, and showy getups for your horse, priced at £0.79 each or £3.99 for all seven. However, it seems some are bugged and don’t work properly.

The seven outfits are Snake’s combat fatigues, sneaking suit, and tuxedo from Snake Eater, Eva and The Boss’s outfits, and ‘parade’ and ‘western’ tack for D-Horse. Here, look, they’re all in this bundle on Steam. They cost 1,000-300,000 GMP in-game to develop, and most complete instantly. Except, at launch, some of them don’t really work – the Boss and Snake’s sneaking suits are meant to be, you know, sneaking suits, but they don’t seem to muffle footsteps. No word from Konami about this yet.

Eva and The Boss’s rags can be worn with their suits open or closed, with Konami noting that “The chest area can be unzipped for a tactical advantage”. O-kay!

That’s tacky garbage, but not a surprise. What’s got my dander up is the weird tone-deafness of it. The Boss only unzips her sneaking suit at the climax of Snake Eater as she explains how she gave up her body and child for her country, revealing a snaking scar from a battlefield caesarean, and how she’ll now give all she has left – her life. It’s a powerful moment, and Snake wrestling with his guilt and frustration over then killing her sparks… everything else that happens in the Metal Gear games. But yeah, sure, you can now deploy to the battlefield as any female soldier with her suit unzipped to show off a fake scar.

Perhaps it’s meant to be in tribute to a beloved character, but it comes off grody. Yeah, the “tactical advantage” is gross, but this is already a game where you can wear a cardboard box pasted with pictures of pin-up models and male soldiers will crowd around cooing so it’s hardly without icky precedent.

In other Phantom Pain news, an update scheduled for November will add a Grade 8 tranquiliser pistol as an underbarrel attachment for other guns, a “Stealth Mode” for FOB invasions, and new security devices for FOBs.

1. turth says:

To hell with this, I want to be able to play as the Boss in MGSV! Make her a playable character, Konami!

• Babymech says:

To hell with that, I just want to play the Binding of Isaac!

2. Spuzzell says:

While it certainly appears to me to be just another example of pathetically embarrassing character design from the wank fantasizing cringe inducing 12 year old boy minds of the forever alone MGS crowd, I presume I just don’t understand the meta.

• Ufofighter says:

I think you understand it perfectly.

RaveTurned says:

To be fair, they do call the bundle the Costume & Tack Pack.

Tackiness confirmed.

• rabbit says:

cheap way of preempting the inevitable & justified criticism

• DThor says:

Not a MGS fan in good standing, while I like the open world, *some* of the humour and the overall mechanics, quite honestly many of these perverted 12 year old male elements seriously detract from the game for me. I actually rage quit when I got an achievement for rescuing my first female character. Just having come freshly off the Witcher with *actual* adult themes, as opposed to staring at boobs and butts, it’s pretty inexcusable to me. I get that sometimes it’s fun to play up stereotypes in gaming, but this doesn’t seem like that.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“the Witcher with *actual* adult themes, as opposed to staring at boobs and butts”

Apparently the two things can live togheter then, since TW3 is not exactly shy with the latter.

And no, don’t worry, since i’m a real gentleman i’ll spare you the dreaded “double standard card”, instead i’ll simply presume yours was just an innocent and harmless logical fallacy.

• Blastaz says:

It was merely a crime of omission, the sentence simply lacked a “just”…

• Jeroen D Stout says:

Blimey, gentlemen are so condescending these days.

• Distec says:

Volumes have already been written about Quiet’s controversial design. It should not be a surprise that the DLC continues this tradition.

It’s time to get over it and move on.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

That’s most likely exactly why they included more of it.
        Their marketing people would very much want the internet to keep writing and not move on.

• jonahcutter says:

It doesn’t appear as if they really all that concerned about the anti-Quiet criticism. At the very least, it doesn’t appear to be slowing them down too much.

If I were the imagining type (and I am), I’d imagine them giving a slight nod of acknowledgement and an “Ok, if that’s how you feel” shrug to the critics, and then contentedly continuing on their chosen path.

• PancakeWizard says:

Which is exactly the correct move. It’s not as if MGSV was boycotted en masse over these minority (albeit equipped with loudspeakers), complaints.

• Blackkristos says:

Yeah, we’re not a loud minority, we’re adults that are critical of a game that at times treats every player like they’re furiously masterbating pre-teens. No one said anything about boycott. As adults, we can be critical of something that we may quite enjoy for the most part.

• Worm says:

Woah say “pathetically embarrassing character design from the wank fantasizing cringe inducing 12 year old boy minds of the forever alone MGS crowd” five times fast. Then shut up ten times fast.

Is having a few characters wear zip up jump suits that horrible?

• pepperfez says:

Wait, that jumpsuit zips up?

• rabbit says:

cmon, MGS has a pretty ropey history interms of its gender politics … but you knew that already & i suspect were just being deliberately glib. so i’ll leave you to it.

• Jinoru says:

You are not wrong.

The Boss costume should never be unzipped. Absolutely idiotic they gave that option.

I really have been enjoying running around in that outfit like The Boss. She was so cool in 3.

3. Arvell says:

The weird tone-deafness is the staple of the series.
    Considering the other insane MGS shenanigans, it’s surprising to see someone complaining about a couple DLC skins.

And I’d go as far as to say that 2 paragraphs devoted to the unzipped jumpsuit is 2 paragraphs too many.

• Baines says:

To be fair, people were already complaining about the DLC skins, because Konami turned a traditional free unlock (Snake’s Tuxedo) into paid DLC.

That, and Konami included “horse armor DLC”. The latter wouldn’t have been bad on a normal game, but Konami is Konami. It is a company where seemingly on a weekly basis Konami management did something to anger fans, or saw information leaked or posted that angered fans, or just had a “WTF Konami?” moment.

As for RPS’s complaints about Quiet’s outfit, well, RPS is RPS. The people and sites that had already complained about Quiet’s primary outfit in MGSV were going to complain when the two new female outfits in the paid DLC were unzipped suits. And the unzipped Boss outfit has, as mentioned, even more grounds for complaint. (Though if you look at an image search for her, it is also the primary image you’ll get, in screenshots, character models, action figures, and cosplay. So regardless of what it means in the story and the idea of it being cheapened, it is popular.)

4. FreeTom says:

That’s not how boobs work.

5. wombat191 says:

Saying konami are tone deaf and pander to sex obsessed 12 yo’s is an understatement. pity its a mostly fun game until it finally hits you how static and repetitive MG5 actually is

6. The Masta says:

That bush has a sniper rifle, also:
    Who the hell thought that that camo pattern on the heli would be a good idea?

7. lyricsparoles.com says:

I’m very satisfied with the game playing very well this cartoon

8. Pich says:

Overthinking

9. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“but this is already a game where you can wear a cardboard box pasted with pictures of pin-up models and male soldiers will crowd around cooing so it’s hardly without icky precedent.”

Japan.

One either steers clear or learns to laugh about it.

10. mavrik says:

Huh, it seems that Konami developers REALLY have no idea how boobs look like and move. Which probably explains their fascination with these childish character designs.

11. JamesTheNumberless says:

When’s the “For goodness sake put some clothes on, you’re supposed to be a professional.” DLC coming out?

• Mechorpheus says:

I’d settle for the DLC which turns it into an actual Metal Gear Solid game, rather than the Peace Walker 2 mess we actually got.

• amateurviking says:

I loved Peace Walker. I am well pleased.

• zarthrag says:

I wonder how many people actually played/completed Peace Walker? I’m not saying the complaints are invalid – but, imo this game clearly wasn’t made for those not familiar to the series. It really is “Peace Walker 2”, with Ground Zeroes as an intermission. Viewed that way, this game is everything I’ve wanted.

Since it was never on PC, most here wouldn’t know about the “Date with Paz” mission – we’re too busy complaining about Quiet… (Speaking of, has anyone come back to motherbase after a long, bloody hiatus, smelling *really* bad?)

• Blackkristos says:

I just got that cutscene with Quiet and the shower. That fast ass zoom and shower scene was probably the most embarrassing moment in the game. I had the XOF uniform for her and was grinding and enjoying her as a buddy without the juvenile BS, but that pushed me over the edge. I fast tracked to A Quiet Exit so I don’t have to deal with that trash any longer.

• The Masta says:

Probably not as long as Kojima is alive

12. JetstreamAigis says:

Holy hell this was actually cancerous, and the comments don’t help either. First of all lets get this through, If you don’t like -HAVING- the option of opening the zipper to The Boss or Eva’s outfit, just don’t do it, or OR better idea, don’t buy the dlc. Second off how can you all complain about this being sexist in anyway, This is a METAL GEAR SERIES litteraly things like this are in every game, hey remember peacewalker where you can date paz in a swimsuit, OR KAZ IN A SPEEDO? no of course none of you do, not even the person writting the article. oh how about the fact that when male soliders including snake eqiup the naked camo for their clothes they just go straight shirtless? Thirdly, using The Boss naked varient doesnt add any benefit to it being open, thats only the Eva one, maybe read both of them abit more carefully too. Yeah this comment is spiteful but god damn with this huge amount of ignorance going on in this post someone needs to beat it into peoples heads.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Right, it’s preposterous to mention the tackiness of this thing, because some other things already exist which are as tacky or more tacky.

• Distec says:

How about “It’s an old tune, so just let it go already”.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I genuinely have no idea what this means. This DLC is buggy and has elements which are tacky and silly, article points this out. Commenter here sees this as “cancerous” because stuff in the past was also tacky and silly. Virtually nothing is new in games, if games journalists stuck to writing about what was genuinely new there’d be about 4 of them, writing fewer than one article a year.

• Distec says:

I’m sure you’re aware that I was referring mostly to the “icky” portion of this update. And while bugs are mentioned, it’s obvious that’s just an entry point for us to get to the meat of the update proper; more complaining about problematic MGS outfits.

That’s the part that’s old. Anybody who has an opinion on Quiet and risque outfits in MGS has already decided where they stand on this issue. If you’re expecting some kind of DLC repentance from Konami, you’re going to be disappointed. MGS is not going to make you happy in this regard, ever. We can put this to bed already. The insistence on this is tiresome.

Preemption: Before somebody hits me with a response along the lines of “RPS can write whatever they want and you don’t have to like it”, well duh. I completely agree.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Hm, I get where you’re coming from but “silly game with tacky elements gets silly update with tacky elements” is still a valid story for me because it gives me something to smirk and roll my eyes at on a Friday. Granted that to the casual observer who hasn’t played any of these games “game breaks own continuity in order to make a sexist joke” is maybe not the full story. It’s a bit like saying “Comedy show gets too silly in very sketch and ends disappointingly” in discussion of an episode of Monty Python (who, of course, also did the same thing with gratuitous sexism)

• Alice O'Connor says:

What if – and this is purely hypothetical so please stay calm – people do know the same things as you but they reach a different conclusion?

• KevinLew says:

You’re missing the point. So The Boss is an example of a strong female character that wasn’t sexualized in the Metal Gear series. The only time you see her partially undress is at the end of the game during a very serious moment.

So Konami decided that the best way to honor her legacy was to come out with DLC where you can now make any female character dress as The Boss with her jumpsuit unzipped–the unzipped suit serving no purpose other than eye-candy. It also breaks the game lore because it’s implying that Big Boss would have wanted to see other girls wearing the clothes of his dead lover.

• Distec says:

“Honor her legacy”? She’s a fictional, made-up character in a long-running series that banks mega hard on bonkers nonsense and self-referencing fan service. You talk as if Konami is spitting on The Boss’ grave.

There’s no point to miss here unless you’re treating this with a modicum of seriousness. Which, y’know, I advise you shouldn’t.

• KevinLew says:

You’re seriously arguing that people can’t care about fictional characters? So nobody has any kind of feelings with characters in video games, movies, books, or TV shows? Last time I checked, people got pretty darn excited over the Star Wars movie trailer, and that movie doesn’t even use realistic physics.

• Distec says:

If this were a “serious” series – and despite being po-faced at times, I believe MGS is not this – or if it didn’t have a history of harmless cheesecake, then I think there would be more of a bone to pick here. But this is some optional fan-service DLC intended to be a throwback to MGS3. Yes, it also intends to show more cleavage, but so what. Even if this series had developed some vague, ill-defined expectation of “maturity”, this is a problem the size of an ant hill.

I don’t feel like The Boss is sacred ground that you can’t sully. You can trot out all the rationalizations that her unzipping of her suit was just oh so much more powerful and meaningful because reasons, but at the end of the day it’s a digital character getting their boobs out. Not that I have any problem with that, at all.

• Distec says:

Just being clear; of course people can care about fictional characters. I absolutely do. But I’m not going to fret over a DLC costume unless I have to go through a twenty-minute canon cutscene where the damn thing is forced onto my characters.

This just isn’t for you, and it’s fine.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I think this is more a case of deliberately avoiding the point at all costs, rather than accidentally missing it.

• Worm says:

>It also breaks the game lore because it’s implying that Big Boss would have wanted to see other girls wearing the clothes of his dead lover.

It’s a cosplay outfit. Why do you guys mistake this painful contrived logic as an actual point? How do you guys handle the Solid Snake or Grey Fox outfits? What about D-Horse being a Fire Unicorn? Just let this one go, for your own sakes.

• islipaway says:

How about if you don’t like criticism you just don’t read it?

• Distec says:

How can anybody judge the merit of a criticism if they don’t read it?

• islipaway says:

It’s a really shitty argument huh?

• X_kot says:

There are three guarantees in life: death, RPS posting about sexism in the game industry, and people complaining about criticisms of sexism. That last group spends an disproportionate amount of time disclaiming how thoroughly annoyed they are – to what end, I don’t know.

• Worm says:

I mean there isn’t a positive comments only rule yet is there? If people disagree with a criticism that’s what the comment section is for. And frankly trying to jam DLC costumes into a game’s canon is a really bad point and should be called out as a bad point. Especially when it’s a game that already has multiple costumes that make no canonical sense.

Someone made good points about the tactical advantage line being a joke more than anything as well. As far as letting the player zip down the outfit, well it lets them act out a powerful scene from one of their favorite games.

Naturally all good natured critical comments that disagree with the author are ignored in favor of everyone hopping on the most ranty response, because that’s the kind of folks you are.

• islipaway says:

I think you missed the point. I replied to a comment where the argument was along the lines of ‘if you don’t like it don’t look at it’ I just threw it back because I’m lazy and it’s a shit argument.

13. Viroso says:

Not much of a surprise from a game that’s got practically one female character who practically doesn’t speak and is practically naked for the player’s viewing pleasure.

14. islipaway says:

This is just sad, I don’t have issue with game characters being sexy when it’s fitting for the character but just plastering boobs on soldiers is a bit lazy.

I thought the pin ups on boxes was making fun of the players who get excited about that sorta thing but now I think I might have been giving it too much credit.

• Blackkristos says:

Totally sad. Angry white heterosexual guys like to say that they’re trolling progressives, but when a game mechanic is built around the player staring at a female characters tits for 10 seconds to unlock a lap dance, well, that just about sums up their attitude.

15. shalalalalarashka says:

The ‘tactical advantage’ is a reference within the Metal Gear series. In MGS3, Snake, referring to Ocelot’s pistol, remarks, “the engravings give you no tactical advantage whatsoever”.
    You can also find a similar scene in TPP when you arrive at your Motherbase. This time, Ocelot will tell the DD soldier about the engravings on his gun giving no tactical advantage.
    It’s in the description of the Adam-ska Special pistol in TPP (the DD soldier is using this one, too).
    You can infer from this that the engravings and the Naked EVA suit don’t really give you a tactical advantage, it’s just an in-joke.
    (Also, sorry for my grammar, I’m not a native)

• shalalalalarashka says:

About the Sneaking Suit footstep sounds, I was led to believe that they only muffled footsteps when crouch-walking? I’m not sure, I’ll have to check again.

• Worm says:

Oh or that. Makes more sense.

• zarthrag says:

Granted I last played MGS3 over a decade ago, (“The End”….damn) I totally missed that reference, thank you.

• zarthrag says:

Though, tidbits like this make me wonder how much Kojima-style super-trolling is actually being missed…

• shalalalalarashka says:

This might be a bit unrelated, but a while ago, I was looking through stuff about the US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I found a bit that reminded me of something in Ground Zeroes.
        (Ground Zeroes Spoiler Alert!)
        Try to think back to when you obtain Chico’s tapes, you learn that Chico was forced to rape Paz (or Paz was forced to rape Chico? Seeing that she’s quite older than Chico. My memory is a bit unclear).
        I learned that US soldiers would torture and rape Iraqi children, sometimes in front of their mothers.
        If you want to look into the topic more, you can search about the Abu Ghraib detainee and articles by Seymour Hersh.
        This was a bit random, but I thought someone maybe interested in digging deeper into GZ’s themes.
        (English isn’t my native language, so my explanations are poor. I hope you got the gist of my post. I apologize)

• brgillespie says:

There were no women nor children at Abu Ghraib. There was an incident of several soldiers going off the reservation and murdering an entire family; they’re all sitting in military prison now.

Raping children is a huge taboo in American society, it isn’t tolerated. Someone, somewhere would’ve flipped their shit if systemic rape of “children in front of their mothers” was occurring.

• brgillespie says:

Clumsily typed: the incident of soldiers murdering a family happened in a different part of the country. I don’t think that was clear in the response I typed.

16. Heliocentric says:

Disappointed at the lack of unzipped horse Armour.

17. Worm says:

Rather than gross, icky, tacky, or grody can you just say that a woman unzipping her shirt for a “tactical advantage” is offensive and sexist? What is with the need to write like a child?

It’s not really that unexpected anyway porono mags have been a tactical item since MGS. I agree describing it as a tactical advantage is dumb but it’s a cosplay costume(and trying to figure out the canonical implications of a DLC outfit is just dumb.) so you can see the scar

• Worm says:

Oh yeah or it’s just a in joke way of describing a second mode for a cosplay outfit. Unless unzipping triggers troops to oogle you.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Offensive is too empowering a word. Calling something like this “offensive” is acknowledging it. Tacky is appropriately belittling. “Grody” is a positively emasculating word ;)

• Worm says:

I think writing 400 words acknowledges it plenty, but think whatever you want of this author thesaurusing around what she actually wants to say.

• Kaeoschassis says:

As opposed to just flat out telling the author what to say, you mean?

18. XaeroSignal says:

I’m not sure if the article’s author is just trying to make a statement to get controversy and more article views going or what. I think it’s sad that anyone is still surprised when Konami or anything MGS-related does something tactless and sexist anymore. It’s been their thing since the beginning. Excusable? No, of course not. Just more of the stupid shit we’ve had to tolerate from the MGS series to enjoy the gameplay and SOMETIMES the story, when we weren’t busy having to tolerate the contrived plot devices, twists and ridiculous characters as well.
    Honestly I can’t wait for Ghost Recon Wildlands where I can get this same tactical military open-world experience, but with co-op and less Japanese anime-ish crap like robots, cardboard boxes with pinups on them, sexist depictions of female soldiers, and ridiculous supernatural elements thrown in at random.

19. drygear says:

My favorite part is the “67% Complete” in the top image. It could be referring to the outfit!

20. Universal Quitter says:

Oh, like none of you have ever been knocked unconscious by a man with a robot arm, after being distracted by a sexy poster on the outside of a cardboard box.

Damn hypocritical social justice warriors.

• Blackkristos says:

I want to choke out this comment, then Fulton it to make it my own.

21. Akula says:

How do people still not realize the “tactical advantage” thing is a joke?
    And by the way, its a Japanese game, so this stuff is pretty tame compared to stuff like Quiet’s outfit.
    Thank god for mods letting me put her in one of her late game costumes, which is significantly less revealing.

22. nickpelly says:

Anyone else having issues with the DLC? I bought it, and the game even acknowledged me unlocking them when I opened the game, but they’re nowhere to be found… I’ve checked every single R&D page and nothing. Help?

23. SuicideKing says:

Meh. It’s kind of tiring, this behaviour from Konami.

24. brgillespie says:

Hey, Alice. Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but “tactical advantage” is a bit of an in-joke from MGS 3 Snake Eater. “Unzip for a tactical advantage” is referencing there not being any tactical advantage whatsoever.

• nickpelly says:

Maybe we haven’t looked deep enough; What if during reflex mode, a sniper spots you, you hit the unzip buttom, BAM! plush-doll style ‘stun’.

25. Shadow says:

So basically, half the article is a rant about two words (“tactical advantage”).

I agreed that The Boss’ unzipped outfit was controversial when it was first revealed (no pun intended), but now that it seems the outfit can be used zipped up, much of the controversy has dissipated. Even EVA’s suit can be used closed, despite the fact she always had it unzipped in MGS3.

Yet people still need to complain about something, I suppose.

26. btfo says:

>A sexy version

So The Boss isn’t sexy? Irrelevant, anyways. It isn’t a ‘version’, its straight out of the game:

link to emiliemreed.files.wordpress.com

27. racccoon says:

I don’t have a problem with any gear.
    In regards to her outfit.
    I do have a problem with the way it is fixed to model its far to rigid! So, therefore the graphic guy who created it, is totally useless. It looks shit like all her gear does.

28. timespike says:

Oh for the love of – would you folks at Konami PLEASE give me some actual clothes for Quiet?! This is ridiculous!

29. Chicago Ted says:

You’ve got to use the Anime box, it is far superior to the other boxes.

30. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Aah, Alice, I see you’re also using the female S+ soldier prodigy, Cancer Lung. I thought soldier faces were all randomized, but I see this gal in many screenshots all over the net.

31. Jinoru says:

Glad to see Flaming Buffalo in the screencaptures.

32. Sentar says:

My issue with the costumes are that their appearing very low resolution for me. Also while I find that Quite’s representation as sexist and ridiculous, I don’t condemn the costumes “naked” version for two reasons. One, Snake has a naked variation of all fatigue suit, two, the respective characters the costume came from previously wore it with the zippers open.

33. btfo says:

Again, you are implying that the boss is not sexy for some reason. And its straight out of the game, it is not a version of anything:

link to emiliemreed.files.wordpress.com

You deleted my comment last time despite it not being offensive in the slightest.