Murder: Ghost In The Shell-Inspired Short Story Is Out

Tell me that for £1.79 I can finish a pretty cyberpunk point ‘n’ click ’em up within half an hour and I’ll say “Ooh you’re twisting my cyberarm, go on then!” So this morning I bought Murder [official site], the newly-released latest from Stranded designer Peter Moorhead and pals. It’s the tale of a Tokyo futurecop investigating, obvs, a murder, and it… is not a game I liked. But I’ll mention it because I know some of you were anticipating Murder, because it only cost me £1.79, and because I can think of far worse ways I might’ve spent that half-hour – are you familiar with ‘shower snotting’?

Anyway, here’s the deal: you’re a cop in the cyberfuture, you keep having the same dream about a robot murdering you, and there’s been a murder. From there, you can probably guess half of what’ll happen. This is my problem with Murder: it plays with loads of cliches, but doesn’t do anything interesting with them. You’ll just find the same old selection of cops who are getting too old for this shit, a copboss who threatens to take your badge, sentient AI, questioning what’s real, and so on. Lots of the dialogue is dull or awkward too.

But murder has neat music and looks very pleasant (as does ‘Murder’ the video game etc). Environments are nice, colours are bright, I really dig the Blade Runner-y brooding on a balcony, and some scenes have interesting framing.

For £2 and half an hour of my time, ah, sure, it was okay. I’m sure you can decide for yourself whether that’s a price you’d be willing to pay, and I’m also sure you’re wise enough to know that you needn’t shout about that decision to everyone around you.

Murder is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux Steam and Humble. Ooh look, it’s only £1.49 on Humble.

1. MattMk1 says:

I get that it’s cheap, and only 1/2 an hour. But I just find the idea of a narrative-based game that’s so short fundamentally unappealing.

It’s like buying a promise to be left wanting.

2. Turin Turambar says:

I think it’s ok to do a short game like 70-120 minutes. But 30 minutes is too short, and not because the price. You have to take in account the pace of a (traditional) adventure game is different from a movie, for example. You have to walk from place to place, you have the text based dialogs, the cuts can’t help to tell the story because the experience isn’t based on cutscenes in the first place, etc.

• RobinOttens says:

30 Flights of Loving managed just fine with less time than that. Some stories are better off not outstaying their welcome and only get more powerful for it. Taking the bare minimum of your time and afterward leaving it’s world and characters to live on in your imagination instead.

I doesn’t sound like Murder uses it’s time that well, but to me the idea of it’s short length is fundamentally interesting/appealing. (Opinions etc.)

Phasma Felis says:

30 Flights was fast-moving and dialogue-free, though. A point-and-clicker with lots of dialogue seems like it would be significantly slower-paced.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It’s far from 30 minutes. Closer to 15 if skipping the tutorial on how to click on a thing. The story is the length of a back cover summary on a novel, with walking to pad it.
      I watched a playthrough while having a couple of sandwiches and it was over before I’d finished the food.

Peter Moorhead should probably be more upset about Let’s Play videos than Steam refunds. Excellent artwork though.

3. gunny1993 says:

Hmmm science fiction was founded on short stories that only took 20 mins to read, I don’t see why it couldn’t work in game format.

Although you usually bought them in magazines with a bunch of other stories so the pricing might be wrong.

• Docm30 says:

You can pack a hell of a lot more into 20 minutes of reading than you can in 20 minutes of shuffling about and speaking slowly.

• TechnicalBen says:

They often did a few of those in one book though, or put them in magazines. Very very few were single books, as that would have been 1 page. :P

4. Babymech says:

Why is this even a question?! Goddamnit, I see people discussing this as something weird, or something that only certain groups of people do… of course you blow your nose in the shower! It’s not weird, or rude, or uncommon – it’s plain physics! You blow your nose because it is full of moisture, and since you are considerate to your host, your loved ones, and/or yourself, you don’t leave a trace of it in the shower, and then you move on with your life. You bigots make me sick.

• Alice O'Connor says:

That’s why I keep saying! But nooo, apparently I’m a monster.

• MattMk1 says:

I can understand the objections… And I’ll be thrilled to act on them as soon as someone figures out a genuinely practical workaround that doesn’t involve swallowing all the junk that had accumulated in my sinuses overnight.

And it better not involve any suggestions that I switch from my two allergy medications and daily saline rinse to that one pill that starts with “z”… or was that “p”…? that worked for you really well that one time your allergies got *really* bad for a couple of days last summer.

• unacom says:

It depends. You blowing your nose in the shower is totaly sensible. For Chewbacca (or someone with equal body hair) that might not be the smartest thing to do, because:
      wet+hair+snot=VERY BAD THINGS!

• Stugle says:

I think it’s totally fair and sensible, as long as you make sure to clean up after yourself – nobody wants to find reconstituted snot fragments on their shower curtain. Other than that, yes, you might as well get rid of it in a place where, y’know, you can get rid of it.

• Shaun Green says:

It’s the people who wipe their nasal bounty on the walls of toilet cubicles who drive me mad.

I’m not sure it was worth signing in to make this comment, if I’m honest with myself.

• Monggerel says:

I can assure you that it was.
        Everything in life is worthwhile.
        Especially snot-covered public toilets. It’s one of the better varieties, really.

heretic says:

It does look rather nice and the trailer seems to have good music too, too bad about the story not sounding very fleshed out. I guess this is one for the Let’s Play list.

Sounds quite promising if they decide to do something bigger in the future with the same art style though.

Don Reba says:

You just gave away literally 90% of the story.