Surprise Remaster Pathologic Classic HD Dated

Just a quick one to start your day: in case you’ve been wondering when the surprise release of the partially remastered ‘Classic HD‘ version of notorious first-person survival game Pathologic [official site] will be, I can now answer that for you. This is not, just to clear up understandable confusion, the recently Kickstarted remake of Ice Pick Lodge’s wildly ambitious but somewhat rickety psychological oddyssey, but rather a spit’n’polished version of the original. Arguably more important than the improved graphics are the new translation and voice-acting, which for many of us was the greatest barrier to entry.

There are other changes too, most of which are listed here. “This way, the original Pathologic will always be available to you even if you come to disagree with the changes made in the Remake,” developers Ice Pick Lodge explained when announcing the remaster.

Pathologic Classic HD is due for release on October 29th, 2015, which – Great Scott! – is next Thursday. Not too late for such quotes, am I?

The pre-order page is now open on Steam, and it’s currently 25% off – coming in at £7.49/$9.74. But you know the rule: no pre-ordering, not even for new versions of legendarily strange and clever games which inspired some of this site’s best-ever features. We’ll do our bestest to let you know how Ice Pick Lodge’s latest experiment (this time done in tandem with Singapore outfit General Arcade) has panned out ASAP.

Here’s the trailer in the meantime:

It’s coming out on GOG and Humble too, although links for those don’t appear to be live yet.

1. Oakreef says:

*emits high pitched noises continuously until the 29th*

2. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I always quite liked the wonky translation, made it feel like you really were in a foreign land. This is right up there, one of the best games ever, but think I’ll wait for the remake before going back in. There’s o ly so many times a lifetime you can return somewhere so harrowing

basilisk says:

About a third of the game text was like that. The absurd translation had a strangely poetic quality to it, which is something I’m probably going to miss.

Roughly another third, however, was extremely clumsily written and had to be mentally wrestled with to get at least some meaning out of it, and the rest was quite literally unintelligible; just pure gibberish masquerading as English.

All in all, I expect this to be a clear net gain, even though yes, I do feel the tiniest loss here. The butchered language was capable of a very peculiar beauty. But the game has enough qualities to make up for that ten times over.

Adam Smith says:

I spoke with the person in charge of translating the remake – she was determined to lose the gibberish while keeping the poetry and the weirdness. An early investigation of the remake last night suggests everything has clicked into place. Made my skin crawl and my brain whirr. And made me laugh as well (the humour might not be as important as the horror but, damn, it’s important). Full thoughts soon.

• All is Well says:

This is fantastic. The translation was one of the things I was most worried about. If your final thoughts confirm this, the translator, whoever she is, certainly deserves a lot of praise.

• Oakreef says:

One of my favourite lines from the original translation was the Bachelor defensively telling the guards that not everyone is able to whistle. Made me burst out laughing when I read it. I really hope that’s still in there.

• alphyna says:

Okay, so I had to log in to inform you that now this line reads, “Enunciate, hmph… Are you aware that whistling is actually a skill—and not everyone has it?”

Alexandra, Pathologic Localization Lead

• ilitarist says:

Original Russian text is like that too. It sounds like a 19th century prose or 1920’s poetry depending on a character. Sounded too pretentious sometimes. Very hard to translate properly I imagine so good luck to translators.

3. Jalan says:

I would’ve been okay with them including this with the remake, although I know from a realistic (and likely technical end) that such a thing would never happen.

Oh well. At least it makes up for the game getting banned on Greenlight all that time ago when someone else attempted to push it onto Steam without IPL’s apparent consent.

4. James says:

Holy crap this brings back memories – I remember playing a demo of this back in the day and thinking that it was a (sorry/not sorry) sub-par version of Silent Hill.

I preferred Nocturne as a ‘scary things chasing you’ game from that era, but this was interesting.

5. dare says:

Pre-ordered. Sorry for breaking the Rule, but this is not even a gamble for me. I bought the original used off somewhere for pennies, this is me finally paying the developer for that. If the HD remake turns out to be good, so much the better.

6. Spacewalk says:

I installed Pathologic once but uninstalled it a few minutes later because I felt too intimidated to even boot the bloody thing up. Maybe it’s time to finally consider playing it but I don’t know.

7. Eclipse says:

this is great to hear!

8. dethtoll says:

Never got to play it, looking forward for a proper go. Just in time for Halloween too, eh?

9. The Sombrero Kid says:

Looking forward to getting my free copy of this from the Kickstarter, love this game (love all their games).

10. magogjack says:

No linux support… sadface.

Please don’t make me reinstall windows…

11. DevilishEggs says:

I spent a couple oddly rapturous evenings with the old translation before getting backed into an impossible situation with no save game to fall back on. Somehow, this game adds up to be much more than its parts. If you set out to make a game like it, you’d probably end up with a boring mess.