Batman Returns: Arkham Knight Re-Released Next Week

Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] will be re-released on October 28th, just over four months after it was pulled from sale for launching with big performance problems, publishers Warner Bros. announced today. After months of interim patches fixing it up for folks who bought it while it was available, they’re planning one big final patch including extra content that has since arrived for console versions.

Arkham Knight makes a strong case for delaying PC versions rather than pushing them out half-finished – while it worked okay for some, many players were plagued with awful performance. The game came out on June 23rd, and was pulled from sale the very next day. Rumours say WB knew full well that it was rubbish before release, though of course they’ve never said this themselves. The PC version was outsourced but it seems awfully unlikely that WB wouldn’t have known about its problems, and if they didn’t then they clearly hadn’t tested enough. Either way, WB messed up.

Anywho! Today’s statement says:

“At 10 am PDT, Oct. 28th, Batman: Arkham Knight will be re-released for the PC platform. At the same time we’ll also be releasing a patch that brings the PC version fully up-to-date with content that has been released for console (with the exception of console exclusives).

“This means that next week, all PC players will have access to Photo Mode, Big Head Mode, Batman: Arkham Asylum Batman Skin, and character selection in combat AR challenges.”

Its great gobs of Season Pass DLC will launch alongside the re-release too.

I do wonder how much it’ll cost when it returns. Four months after its initial release, and with the big autumn releases like Fallout 4 approaching, I expect it’d be getting big discounts on the weekend sale circuit by now if it hadn’t been pulled.

1. Xzi says:

“Arkham Knight makes a strong case for delaying PC versions rather than pushing them out half-finished…”

Not really. It makes a strong case for not using bad port houses/publishers and setting more state-of-development appropriate release dates in the first place, however.

I’m excited to play the game in its most optimized state, even though I’m aware the enthusiasm of the masses has probably long since faded. Batman has been a part of my life since I was a child, and the Arkham games have absolutely floored me. Save Origins, anyway.

• Frosty Grin says:

“Batman has been a part of my life since I was a child…”

It’s quite perplexing that many people’s tastes don’t change as they grow up.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

But it’s not at all surprising that, of all the many, many things one likes when younger, some of them are still the same when one is older.

• anHorse says:

“I’m 16 now time to discard everything from the past, if only I’d left it another year before reading x I could have enjoyed it forever :(“

• Xzi says:

Rather, I have acquired a taste for plenty of other things as I’ve grown, but Batman is one of the few that has grown with me.

• welverin says:

That’s an utterly baffling thing to say.

Especially in regards to Batman, for which there are products for every age range.

Thulsa Hex says:

Yeah – when I was 3 years old I loved the Adam West Batman TV show. I loved Batman toys. My dad, in an act of genuine well-meaning naïveté, snuck me into the cinema to see Tim Burton’s Batman. I cried because I was bored and probably a bit scared. Despite both being “Batman,” they could hardly have been more different, obviously catering to different people at different stages of their lives. This is only a good thing.

• dethtoll says:

“Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” — C.S. Lewis.

• gwathdring says:

*standing ovation*

Thulsa Hex says:

Saving this quote. Nice one!

• Geebs says:

CS Lewis got married when he was 58 years old….

• Frosty Grin says:

Well, I didn’t treat adult as a term of approval, so I’m afraid your quote is utterly irrelevant. Even if you treat adult as a descriptive term, you still can ask the same question I asked.

• Asurmen says:

Well, no, your question doesn’t really need asking…

• MrWolf says:

Gosh you must be fun at parties!

• BloodyMess says:

No you implied that ones tastes as a child should be dropped as an adult, hence the quote being provided.

• BloodyMess says:

Amazing. Now if only I could memorise it

• BloodyMess says:

What a very silly thing to say

Phasma Felis says:

I remember when I got too old to play with toys, around age 13 I think. And then I remember around 19, when I was old enough to play with toys again.

• crazyd says:

Seriously. It makes a strong argument for treating the PC version with the same diligence as the console versions, not for delays.

• Jinoru says:

You’re arguing semantics here.

2. Ufofighter says:

So, leaving aside performance issues… It’s good?

• version46 says:

The fighting mechanics are definitely improved however it leaves you wanting for more fights and predator encounters because the bat mobile is the focus this time around.

Sure, it’s a cool vehicle but the pacing is really off there’s just so much tedious tank combat including one of the most disappointing boss fights in both video games and comic book lore.

Story wise it serves it purpose for closure not too much to say about it but the last segment was the best.

• JiminyJickers says:

I got it refunded on PC and bought PS4 version, definitely very fun game and my favourite since the first one.

I didn’t enjoy the tank combat boss fights though, would have preferred more regular style bossfights.

• anHorse says:

I sincerely think it’s the weakest arkham game (sidescroller excluded) but that doesn’t make it bad.

It just has loads of focus on a boring car and a plot that’s both dry and predictable. The batmanny bits are good but there’s less of them than before, the stealth sections for instance (my favourite part of the series) are very sparsely spaced and some of the ones that are present (the bank heists come to mind) are pretty weak in terms of design.

It does have some really cool moments though so on balance it’s worth playing if you liked Arkham City or Origins.
      It’s too open worldy to recommend to someone who only enjoyed asylum

3. montorsi says:

There are still noticeable performance dips when the batmobile is involved with gameplay. Any word on whether they’ve optimized this further? Or are they just dumping the DLC on us and washing their hands of the port? (note: I have finished the game already and liked it a lot but it still has severe FPS hitching related to the batmobile)

4. PoulWrist says:

StilStill won’t be buying it. It’s suspect.

5. fish99 says:

“I expect it’d be getting big discounts on the weekend sale circuit by now if it hadn’t been pulled”

A lot of key sellers didn’t pull the game though, so it’s been available this whole time and often for under £10. It’s definitely worth that money IMO.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Yeah I got off some g2go or some such site – after the game was pulled, and I picked it up for 15 dollars. Bargain!!

6. gwathdring says:

I’ve been warned off by how tedious the car is. I’ve lost a lot of patience for these big sprawling games when they decide to subject me to tediousness rather than set me loose to decide what is and isn’t tedious.

Thulsa Hex says:

I loved Asylum and liked City, so I’m still hoping that this will be properly fixed so I can give it a bash. I’m probably more worried about the tank battle stuff, though. Sounds awful.

• JiminyJickers says:

The tank battles for me were the worst part of the game. The rest made up for it in my opinion, but I would have preferred regular boss fights.

• JiminyJickers says:

I mean tank boss battles. The Batmobile was fun in general for fighting in tank mode, it was just the boss battles with tank mode I definitely didn’t enjoy.

8. RegisteredUser says:

I wish there would be documentation for the repair process.
    I wonder if those tasked with fixing it had to kick and nudge at a near irreperable mess that they didn’t have enough time to redo properly or if it was just some manageable things they could redo fine if they just had a few months of proper focus for it.

I am quite worried it is a version of the first one.

9. blackmyron says:

I was excited enough about it to pre-order it. Certainly I enjoyed the other Arkham games… but after using Steam’s new return policy successfully, I have little interest going back.

10. thenevernow says:

No goodies to apologise?

• Jp1138 says:

Yes, I was hoping htey would offer some compensation to those who didn´t return the game :(

11. philosoaper says:

unless it comes with an 80%+ price cut, they can keep it..

Neurotic says:

“Arkham Knight makes a strong case for delaying PC versions rather than pushing them out half-finished.”

Yes, exactly. This should be engraved on the foreheads of everybody making decisions on when to stop development and start burning discs, so to speak.

13. TheMightyEthan says:

They’re re-releasing it already? These re-releases of old games are getting out of hand! Developers need to make something new!

I’ll get my coat.

14. gbrading says:

It would be crazy if it returned to sale at full price, especially when some digital stores have continued to sell it at knockdown prices. If they were sensible they’d sell it at £19.99; however I imagine they’ll continue to try £29.99 until the Christmas Steam Sale.